Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

24, Answer


 After she makes her confession to me, she stares at me in silence.
 I try to answer something, but the sudden confession confuses me and I can't answer anything.

 When she saw me looking like that, Hasaki said,

"I'm sorry you have to hear this all of a sudden. ... But I really like Yuu-kun. I love you so much that I can't give up on you even if you have a girlfriend."

 She said this while looking straight at me.
 Hearing those words, I ask Hasaki, though I am confused.

"I thought Hasaki liked Ike so it was too much of a shock for me..."

"Can not believe it?"

"Can't believe it or rather..."

 I was in the middle of my words, but Hasaki put her index finger on my lips to seal my mouth.

 Suddenly, I was so flustered that I couldn't speak, on my cheek――.
 Hasaki pressed her soft lips against it.

 The feel of soft lips on my cheeks.
 The scent of Hasaki mixed with deodorant tickled my nostrils.

 After the kiss, I was unable to move for a while, but then Hasaki gave me an upward glance and said.

"If you don't believe me now, I'm going to kiss you on the lips this time, okay?"

 I responded to her words with a nod.

"How could I not believe you if you went this far? ......Sorry, that was rude to ask."

 My face was hot. She told me she loved me and even kissed me on the cheek. Her feelings were well conveyed.

 When I apologized, Hasaki realized, then her face turned red and she pressed her forehead against my chest.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. I'm sure I startled you with my suddenness."

"...What are you doing this time?"

"...My face is absolutely red right now. I don't want to be seen."

 Like me, she seemed to be terribly embarrassed.
 If she was so embarrassed, she probably shouldn't have forced herself to kiss me, even on the cheek, or so I thought.

"Rather, Hasaki was such a character."

 I said this while touching my still hot cheek.
 I had no idea that she was so passionate that she would suddenly kiss a man she thought had a girlfriend.

"I guess I surprised myself. ... How to say it, but I guess I've come this far, and I've opened up. It's like, "Whatever will be, will be."

 Hasaki said, moving her forehead away from my chest.
 But she still seems embarrassed and hides her profile with one hand to prevent me from seeing her face.
 The gesture was somewhat cute.

 What in the world was this cute girl thinking when she confessed her feelings to me?
 I was so curious that I couldn't help but ask.

"Um, since when did you like me...?"

 Hearing my words, Hasaki stops turning her face away and looks straight at me.
 Then, Hasaki reaches out her hand to my face and gently touches the wound around my eye.
 She caresses the scar around my eye with her fingertips, lovingly and gently, and then she says.

"Since that time when Yuu-kun was hurt because of protecting me. I have always loved you."

"……I see"

 At that time, I certainly might have been doing something cool that would have been the peak of my life.

 But still, have you been in love with me since such a long time ago?
 After I thought that, I realized.

"...My bad. I must have unintentionally hurt Hasaki until now."

 Thinking back, every time I talked about Touka in front of Hasaki, she had a somewhat pained and lonely look on her face.
 It must have been my insensitivity that was hurting her.

"It's not Yuu-kun's fault. It's my fault that I couldn't even tell you how I felt. ...But you know?"

 Again, she tells me as if she has made up her mind.

"Now that I have confessed thusly, I hope you will give serious thought about the answer."

 I nodded at her words.
 ...... I don't want to be insincere to someone who tells me her feelings straight to me like this.

 I thought about my own feelings towards Hasaki and ...... about Touka.
 What would Touka think if I accept this confession?

 If I'm right ...... I'm sure she will be glad.
 The words she once told me.

『Until senpai gets sick of this "fake lover relationship". Please continue this relationship with me.』

 I think Touka wanted to tell me this, now that I think about it, "Don't hesitate when you find someone you like."

 Touka is not honest enough to tell it straight. However, knowing her kindness, I thought that I must be right in this idea.

 So if I could have a girlfriend.
 Touka will probably be happy to congratulate me, just as she did when Asakura and I became friends.

 With that in mind, it may have been her own way of "pretending" that she was saying things like, "Don't hit on girls," and "Don't be alone with other girls".

 Then the rest is my feeling.

 I still think of "Natsuo" as an important friend.
 Even now, when I found out that he was a girl named "Hasaki Kana".

 If possible, I would like to be friends with her like we used to be.

 But――.













"I was very happy that you told me you liked me. Thank you, Hasaki."













 Hearing my words, her expression brightened up, and I continued.













" ―― But sorry. I can't go out with Hasaki."












 My answer was definite.
 In response to the fact that someone like me was liked by Hasaki, I answered her straight and without hesitation.
 It will hurt, but be prepared for that too.

"... I had seen how well Touka-chan and Yuu-kun got along, so I understood. It's still tough to get dumped."

 A pained expression appears on the face of Hasaki, and her shoulders slump.
 I wasn't sure what to say to her, but she continued to ask me.

"Hey, can I ask why you can't go out with me?"

 The reason why I refused to accept Hasaki's confession.
 There were two.

"I have never looked at Hasaki as a romantic interest. No doubt you are important to me as a friend, but if you ask me if that is romantic feelings... it's different. I thought it would be rude for me to go out with Hasaki with this kind of feeling. So I can't go out with Hasaki."

 And one other.


 I like my relationship with Touka, even if it is a fake relationship.
 Maybe I won't be the one to break this relationship so easily.


 At my words, Hasaki rolled her eyes.

"I see. ...I was expecting you to say, "Touka is more important." The way you said it, it sounds like there is a gap."

"A gap, huh"

 If I had wanted to end my relationship with Touka and go out with Hasaki, I would have accepted this confession.
 With that in mind, there must surely be a lot of gaps.

 Still, I chose to turn down the confession of Hasaki and cherish my fake lover's relationship with Touka.
 I'm sure I won't regret this.

 Hasaki looked at me and then slowly exhaled.
 Then she says straight to me.

"Yuu-kun ... No, Yuuji-kun. Then at least ―― once again. Can we start by being friends?"

 A clear and sunny expression appears on Hasaki's face.
 She tells me her true feelings without pretense, and I respond to her.

"Yeah, of course. Take care of me, Hasaki."

 I held out my right hand to Hasaki for a handshake.
 But she doesn't even glance at my proffered hand with a smug smile on her face.

 ...... What is wrong?

"Can you call me Kana?"

"Ha?"

"You can call me Kana, Yuuji-kun. If we were friends, it wouldn't be strange if you called me by my name, would it?"

 I see, it is no surprise.
 As for me, I would rather call her "Natsuo" as I used to call her than "Hasaki" as I used to call her, since she even confessed to me.
 I felt it would be better to change how to call her.

"Then, once again. Take care of me, Kana."

"Yeah, take care of me too. Yuuji-kun."

 When I called her Kana, she smiled with satisfaction and then agreed to shake my hand.

"... And there's one more thing I want to mention?"

 Holding my hand, she continues.

"From now on, be prepared!"

 Kana declared so.
 What is this all about?

 I ask her honestly.

"What are you talking about?"



 Kana smiled charmingly and replied with few words.



"It's still a secret! I'll tell you when we are with Touka-chan!"