Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu
Thank you for your support FrankMagri
TL Notes:
My family is facing an unexpected financial challenge. If you are in generous mood. Please support us.
We would be forever grateful for any contribution, big or small, to help us overcome this difficult time. Thank you
Chapter 341
After ending the training exercise, I immediately returned to the city and headed straight to the Demon King's place.
Perhaps the Demon King also couldn't overlook an incident involving Hisago-san, because after I first explained why I had come to Ciel-san, I was immediately shown into the Demon King's office.
"...It's not that I hadn't expected it, but that idiot seems to have gone and caused unnecessary trouble."
After hearing about Shia, the Demon King showed a bitter expression that was unusual for him.
"So she's a girl who had Hisago's memories and magic implanted into her. I already thought something was suspicious back in Mialak, but... you really do attract these kinds of things."
"...You thought something was suspicious?"
"? Has there ever been anyone you've gotten involved with who was actually normal?"
Calm down, calm down, me.
Even if I hit the Demon King now, it wouldn't solve anything...!
"It is easier to deal with things if you take the initiative and get dragged into them before something happens somewhere I don't know about. That's one of the reasons I value you, including that strange fate of yours."
I'm not happy at all with being evaluated like that...
Feeling completely exasperated, I took the crystal from inside my pocket and placed it on the table in front of the Demon King.
"This is the power of yours that had been sealed away."
"Ah, you did well. Other than me, you're the only one with Healing Magic who could enter that poisonous area and come back unharmed."
"In that case, couldn't Nero-san have done it instead? He should have been able to blow away the poisonous miasma."
"He's too strong. Considering the position of us demons, we shouldn't move him around carelessly."
I see. Nero-san really is too strong, and it wouldn't be strange for the humans to become suspicious.
Taking the crystal that contained a fragment of the Demon King's power, the Demon King showed no particular emotion as he casually tossed it into a ring of light created with magic.
"Don't you have any attachment to your own power?"
"No. Any more power would only cause confusion. Falga and I have agreed that my power will be kept under strict control."
"If that's the case, then I have nothing to say."
If Falga-sama and he both say so, then that's probably for the best.
Besides, the Demon King is already more than strong enough as he is.
"At present, I've secured one fragment of your power. I also reported that Shia took one, and that the Devils secured another... but can we assume that all of the power within the Demon King's territory has now been recovered?"
"Fumu. Strictly speaking, that's not correct."
"Not correct...?"
But Auru-san definitely said that Shia and the Devils had secured them...
"It's true that Shia Garmio possesses one, but the situation with the Devils is different."
"What do you mean? I thought the Devils had either made use of your power or absorbed it..."
"Mere Devils secured my power? No, that's wrong. To be precise, they are struggling to handle it."
Struggling to handle it?
"Even if a Devil were to absorb my power into its own body, the best it could hope for is to be torn apart from the inside."
"Isn't your power a little too dangerous...?"
"It's me, you know?"
You don't have to say it so proudly.
Though, I suppose there's no better proof than that.
"I know the location of the last remaining fragment that those Devils are struggling to handle."
If he says he knows, then that means its location has already been identified.
The fact that no one has gone to retrieve it yet means it's somewhere that can't be entered so easily, just like the poisonous area.
...If that's the case.
"Don't tell me it's in the monsters' territory?"
"Exactly. If you retrieve it from the Devils, all fragments of my power that are affecting the Demon King's territory should be completely removed."
"Isn't that an awfully huge responsibility?"
Saying that in exasperation, the Demon King grinned.
"You talked that big to me. The least you can do is live up to it."
"Haa, I'll do my best..."
It's not like I was going to refuse, though.
Well, I guess you could say this means he trusts me.
"In the meantime, you'll continue preparing for the journey into the monsters' territory, but there's a high chance you'll also run into the girl who carries Hisago's memories, Shia Garmio."
"So she really is after your power?"
"I don't know what she's planning. It would make things easier for us if she simply vanished and saved us the trouble... but somehow, I can't shake the feeling that there's something suspicious surrounding that girl."
"Honestly, I feel the same way."
If it was just an unfortunate accident, then I wouldn't have anything to say, but there is something about Shia's situation that feels as though it was deliberately arranged.
I don't know what it is.
But if what happened to her wasn't a coincidence and was instead something brought about by someone's intentions... then I would direct my anger toward whoever planned it.
"Apparently, Shia's hometown is Calm Helio."
"Then that's even more reason to be wary. It's a country inhabited by people foolish enough to worship heroes. Anything could happen."
Should I go to Calm Helio after returning from the Demon King's territory?
If I manage to save Shia, I might end up taking her back to her family.
...No, I should focus on the matter of the monsters' territory for now.
"Naturally, I will also share this information with Falga. Also, Usato."
"Yes?"
"Is it possible to communicate with the beastmen's country?"
I nodded at the Demon King's question.
"Yes. I have already formed a familiar contract with the Hoobird of Hayate-san, the chief of the Beastmen, so I think it will come right away if I call it."
"You're really convenient."
"Ah, but please keep in mind that this isn't anything official. It's just a personal arrangement between friends, so be careful about that, okay."
"...No, I won't say anything."
For some reason, he looked exasperated.
As I was feeling unsatisfied, the Demon King continued to speak to me.
"Contact Kannagi through the leader and have her come here. Tell her about the matter concerning Shia Garmio."
"...Understood"
Since Nagi-san was the person closest to Hisago-san, does that mean she might be able to help Shia, whose condition is unstable?
Besides, if it's Nagi-san, getting through the monsters' territory shouldn't be a problem for her, and more importantly, there would be no issue with her strength.
"Will Shia be all right?"
"For now, there's no need to worry. Memories are just memories. There is a concern that her sense of self may become unstable, but the possibility of Shia Garmio becoming Hisago himself is low."
But I'm worried about her now being in that unstable state.
Originally, she was just a girl who didn't even know how to fight. If possible, I want to do something about the situation she's in as soon as possible.
After thinking about it that far, I let out a soft sigh.
"You look quite exhausted."
"I was keeping myself tense for too long, after all. I also fought the Devils and Auru-san's group, so I used up a considerable amount of magic power."
"As for me, I was desperately trying not to laugh while hearing about your grand performance, you know?"
"I figured..."
This person was grinning the whole time I was making my report, after all.
For now, when I get back, I'll take a shower and go to sleep.
My subordinates must be pretty exhausted too, so I'll make tomorrow's training a day off... Ah, right.
"Demon King, there's something I'd like you to look into regarding dark mages."
"Are you planning on adopting one?"
"No, that's not it...! I'm talking about the twin dark mages I fought."
"Ah, so that's what you mean."
Why did this conversation somehow turn into me adopting a child?
Don't tell me there's some plan going on behind the scenes to leave the child of the previous dark mage in my care...?
"There might be other people besides those twins whose corpses have been used. Though this isn't limited to dark mages..."
"Indeed. However, there are also cases where they were alive before I awoke from my seal. The truth of the matter may be uncertain, but I'll have them investigate it just in case."
If we know some information beforehand, it will be easier to prepare countermeasures.
Those twin dark mages' dark magic was troublesome if used properly.
"Usato"
"Yes?"
Having seemingly finished everything he had to say, the Demon King leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed, a smile appearing on his face as he looked at me.
"You are aware that there is an outsider mixed among the demons you are training, aren't you?"
"If you noticed too, you should have said something."
"She showed no hostility. So I decided to let her continue."
The "outsider" the Demon King was referring to was probably Vina-san.
"I have a general idea of her true identity. ...Though, to be precise, I only fully realized it around the time the training exercise ended."
Having learned Magic Perception and demonstrated it, she used it to determine my location.
And she was able to spread her magic over an even wider area than I could.
However, the moment I stepped into the range of her magic———I sensed an aura similar to the kind of magic that Devils possess, which can confuse people's senses.
"There was a demon named Vina among those who once belonged to the First Corps, but that person left the city after the war. ...More importantly, that Vina was a man. Without a doubt, this cannot be the same person."
"Should we capture her?"
"Depending on the situation. She most likely infiltrated this place for reconnaissance, but..."
The Demon King put a hand to his chin as if he was deep in thought.
"The Devils as a race dislike each other, after all. She probably doesn't have any worthwhile information to begin with."
Even when I used Kaira as a shield, the others didn't even show the slightest sign of trying to come and help him.
Perhaps they only thought about using each other.
"Fumu... I'll leave it to you for now."
"Eehh..."
"The fact that she came to become your subordinate of her own accord means there must be some reason behind it. Depending on what she says, there may be a possibility of bringing her over to our side."
"Will it really go that easily, I wonder..."
"You're good at that kind of thing, right?"
I don't know why, but I feel like the Demon King has a huge misunderstanding about me.
But...it can't be helped.
For now, after taking a break, I'll call Vina-san and try to find out her true intentions.
"Haa, I have so much to do..."
Exploring the monsters' territory.
Recovering the Demon King's fragments.
Rescuing Shia.
And, on top of that, making contact with Vina-san, which was just added to the list.
Everything will probably be difficult, but I have no choice but to solve them one by one.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Author's Notes:
The Demon King had somehow noticed that Vina had a troublesome personality.
Since it seemed like a hassle, he decided to leave it all to Usato for the time being.
That concludes Arc (Part/Volume) 14.
After updating a few side stories, we will move on to Arc 15.
Previous | Table of Contents | Next

0 Comments
Post a Comment