Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive.
Thank you for your support FrankMagri

TL Notes:
My family is facing an unexpected financial challenge. If you are in generous mood. Please support us. 
You can commission me (Request Novel) on Ko-Fi or Patreon (I can only translate Japanese, though). 
We would be forever grateful for any contribution, big or small, to help us overcome this difficult time. Thank you

Chapter 340


The first half is from Usato's perspective.
The perspective switches to El's point of view in the second half.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

 I was able to reunite with Keira safely, but by then, Shia was already gone.
 I knew she had been mentally unstable, so it wasn't completely unexpected... but not being able to do anything about Shia's situation here might come back to affect us later.
 ... First, I should report to the Demon King.

『Usato-san, over there!』
"Yeah, it's Koga and the others."

 By the time the sky had become slightly brighter, Keira and I finally arrived at the place where Koga and the others had set up camp.
 As I landed on the ground, I saw that Blurin had noticed our approach first, followed by Koga, who had been keeping watch.

"Oh, welcome back. Were you able to retrieve it safely?"
"Grruaa!"
"Yeah"
"Mmh? Ah, Usato-kun, welcome back."

 It seemed I had also woken up Ururu-san and Hanna-san.
 Hanna-san, who was unbelievably grumpy after just waking up, glared at me with an even sharper look than usual.

"Tch, so you're completely unharmed..."
"Just a little while ago, I was holding back eleven enemies by myself."
"Then why are you completely unharmed...?"

 After getting insulted, I was met with a genuine look of disbelief...
 I'd like to take my time explaining, but we have to hurry now.

"Koga, we're ending the training. We're heading back to the city immediately."
"Hn? I don't mind, but does it have something to do with what you mentioned earlier?"
"Yeah. There were Devils at our destination. I thought I'd driven them off once, but then they came back and ambushed us with eleven of them..."
"He~e, so what happened?"

 After having Keira move a little farther away while remaining in her cloak, I briefly explained the situation to Koga.

"Keira and I helped a girl with some circumstances get away at our destination, and I stayed behind to hold them back."
"Yeah, but I don't get how you, who was supposed to be holding them back, ended up arriving here together with Keira."
"I blasted them away with Healing Magic, then ran and caught up."
"Yeah, figures. That's exactly what I expected."
"Koga-kun!? Don't you think this person is saying way too many ridiculous things for you to just accept it so casually!!"

 If he wanted to, Koga could probably do the same thing as me.
 After all, he'd been steadily copying my techniques.
 Anyway.

"So, you managed to recover the Demon King's power, right?"
"Yeah. ...Keira "
"Yes!"

 Keira, who had been floating in the air, took the crystal containing the Demon King's power out from her cloak.
 I accepted it from Keira and showed it to Koga and the others.

"So, since you've got that, the reason we're hurrying back must be because of that girl with some circumstances."
"Mm. ...To be honest, it's something we need to report to the Demon King and Falga-sama as soon as possible."
"It's that serious...?"

 And Nagi-san as well.
 A girl who possessed Hisago-san's memories and power was anything but ordinary.
 Considering the kind of power he had, it wouldn't be surprising if it caused serious problems later on.

"I'm going to stop the exercise now, so hold on to this for me."
"Sure. ...By the way, about the ones still taking part in the exercise..."
"Hn?"

 Did something happen?
 Judging by how calm he was, I could tell it wasn't something like someone getting injured.

"They've probably realized there aren't any monsters around."
"...Hou"
"On top of that, it looks like they're setting up an ambush."

 I see.
 So, that means they're trying to lure either me or Koga in.
 They saw through the fact that the "ferocious monsters" were something we created, and now they're trying to lure me or Koga into a trap and make us pay for it.

"If you hadn't come back, I was planning to go myself... so, what do you want to do?"
"..."

 I had reduced my magic power consumption by applying System Degradation, but I'd still used up a fair amount.
 I'd been up all night, so I was fairly sleepy.
 But physically, I was completely fine ——— so I can do it.

"Then I'll go check the results of their training exercise."
"Alright. We'll watch from here."
"Be careful, Usato-kun."

 After nodding back to Ururu-san and Keira as they waved at me, I jumped off the cliff and entered the forest.
 We need to hurry back to the city, but I hope I can at least take the time to see the results of this training exercise.
 I was looking forward to seeing how much they'd grown, after all.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

 Something had felt off.
 The monsters would roar, but they never attacked us.
 Their roars echoed at regular intervals.
 And most importantly, there were clear differences in the appearances of the monsters each of us had seen.
 When one person said the fangs were short, someone else insisted they had been long.
 When one person said it had horns, someone else said there hadn't been any horns at all.
 It was only after noticing these contradictions that we finally realized we had made a huge mistake.

"..."

 Usato's goal was probably to train us under the assumption that we'd entered a monster-infested area.
 And it wasn't an ordinary training exercise.
 He had us fight imaginary monsters that he had created instead of real ones, making us do something that made no sense.
 What made it so cruel was that until just now———for more than a week into the training exercise, we hadn't realized what he was trying to do, and he had been wearing us down mentally the whole time.

"Just because we've figured it out doesn't mean things are any better...!!"

 Usato probably thought that it didn't matter whether we noticed the purpose of this training or not.
 Either way, it would become part of the results of the training.
 As frustrating as it was, this training made sense.
 We had certainly underestimated monsters, and we had convinced ourselves that we could clear a survival exercise without any difficulty.
 You could even say we had been overly optimistic.
 But now, that belief had been completely shattered.

"The method is pretty messed up, though...!!"

 I'll be honest.
 My feelings right now are that my guts are boiling with anger because everything has gone exactly according to Usato's plan.
 Should we just finish this training exercise as normal?
 Absolutely not.

"You guys! Don't you want to show that rotten bastard... our captain the results of this training exercise?!"
"Ooooooooo!!!"

 The first thing I did right after that was to get my former colleague and the newcomer, who were both captivated by muscles and training, motivated.
 I successfully got them to join my plan to make him pay, then I added Vina and Nono as well.

"Nono, if we make Usato acknowledge the results of this training exercise, you'll be able to see Shawn again!!"
"Shaaaaaawn!!"

 Is that supposed to be a battle cry to motivate yourself?
 I was slightly taken aback as I watched Nono split firewood with a karate chop.
 Thanks to this training, which was basically physical enhancement, I myself no longer even found it strange that she could do something like that without any difficulty.

"Oi, pervert"
"Yes?"
"Lend us a hand."
"Ye~s"

 When it came to Vina, she was the easiest one to handle.
 That was because she was a pervert.
 Somehow, we managed to get everyone's hearts united? and came up with a plan in a short amount of time. Like hunters setting a trap for their prey, we disappeared into the forest, intending to lure either Koga or Usato.
 Those two would surely notice our intentions and take the bait.

"Nya"
"Anyway, if we can't make them pay for this, I won't be satisfied...!!"

 As dawn broke and the sun gradually began to rise...
 Vina and I climbed up a tall tree and waited in ambush.
 I kept myself calm by stroking the chin of Lynn, the black cat with a forked tail resting on my shoulder, but honestly, I was extremely nervous.

"Vina"
"There hasn't been any reaction yet."

 I spoke to Vina, who was releasing faint pink magic from both hands down toward the ground like smoke.
 The pink magic released from her as she closed her eyes slowly faded until it became transparent, as if dissolving into the air.

"...When did you learn how to use Magic Perception?"
"It was after we entered this forest and some time had passed. But doing it while moving is still impossible for me."

 I had only just learned this, but she had acquired Magic Perception, a technique that could be learned through mana circulation.

"Usato does it normally, doesn't he?"
"I think this isn't how Magic Perception is supposed to be used."
"Haa?"
"Nya"

 Lynn nodded repeatedly.
 "Ah, how cute," I thought for a moment, snapping back to reality as I looked at Vina.

"It is almost impossible to use this together with attack-type magic. Even if you could do it, you'd have to perform something extremely skillful."
"...That guy mainly relies on close combat, doesn't he?"

 I understood that she meant it was difficult to simultaneously focus on attacking with magic and sensing magic power.
 As for Usato himself, Healing Magic was more like a bonus... or rather, he was a crazy guy who mainly relied on a strange form of close combat, with the goal of getting up close and punching his opponents.

"One simple reason is that Usato-san is extremely skilled at controlling magic power within his body. Perhaps he is constantly circulating magic power throughout his entire body and improving the efficiency of his magic circulation?"
"...He's really a monster after all..."
"Another reason is probably that he had the foundation needed to make that possible in the first place."

 It's not normal.
 I wonder what kind of thought process led him to the idea of continuously using magic circulation.
 ... Don't tell me it came from some casual thought like, "This would make good training" or something...? If that's the case, he's way too insane.

"By using magic circulation, it enhances the flow of magic power and specializes one's senses. ...To be more precise, perhaps it would be better to call it a technique that awakens the potential of magic power that had been dormant within living beings?"
"I understand that it's impressive, but is it really that extraordinary?"
"At the very least, I have never known a human who uses a technique like that."

 You always phrase things with some hidden meaning.
 This is really one of her traits.

"...I detected something. The one who came is Usato-san."
"Then I'll send the signal."

 I floated a stone I had picked up beforehand above my palm and shot it away with wind magic.
 It struck the metal canteen we had placed a short distance away, creating a high-pitched sound that served as a signal to notify our allies waiting nearby.

"The target noticed the presence of the sound, but continues moving without changing course. It has most likely noticed my magic power as well."
"Just as I thought, he took the bait...!!"

 Then I'll make sure he falls right into our trap...!
 A half-hearted attack or an attack from a single person won't work against him.

"The conditions required here are..."

 I used wind magic to scoop up the large number of stones packed into my backpack and make them float.
 I made them hover around me, then aimed at them with my raised fingertips.

"Ku, fufufufu...!! You really went and stuffed only my bag full of stones, didn't you...!! Then I'll use them for exactly what they were intended for and attack you with them...!!"
"Nyaa~"

 To keep my location from being discovered by the direction they were coming from, I spread out the firing positions in a fan shape, then added spin to increase their accuracy and speed.
 ———A technique I couldn't use before going through this hellish half-month of training.
 I'll show him what I can do with the power he taught me...!!

"Vina, I'll rely on you for updates and targeting adjustments."
"Understood"

 Since I still couldn't see him because of the branches and leaves, I followed Vina's instructions for the direction to fire.
 ... Besides, a half-hearted attack wouldn't work against him. He would immediately adapt.
 There was literally no blind spot in the Healing Perception that he used.
 But———,

"Fire!!"

 ———A barrage of long-range attacks from outside the range of Magic Perception is a different story!!
 If the attacks come from almost the same time, we can take away the advantage of his Healing Perception!!
 The spinning stones flew toward the direction where Usato was likely to be.
 After a moment of silence, the continuous sound of something being deflected rang out.

"All of them were avoided."
"That was expected."

 The decoy of the stones had neutralized his Healing Perception.
 Just as I was about to move on to the next step——something passed between Vina and me and crashed into the tree right behind us.
 The magic bullet that passed right beside my face almost made my throat seize up.

"That was close!"
"It seems he noticed us. ...That's strange. I thought we had concealed our direction. Ah, he is running here at full speed."
"Th-th-th-that's within expectations!! Kevin! Nono!"

 I spotted Usato running across the ground at an unbelievable speed, close enough for me to see him with my own eyes.
 Suppressing the scream that almost escaped me unconsciously, I ordered the two people I had positioned beforehand to make their move.
 There was no reply.
 However, when Usato had approached to within a few dozen meters, a water magic projectile that had been thrown crashed down right at his feet with a splash.

"! This is Nono-san's..."

 Nono's magic is not ordinary water magic.
 It is a water-type magic with a unique characteristic that allows her to create a flammable liquid similar to oil.
 Seeing the slippery ground, Usato stopped his movement, and then tree roots extending like tentacles from beneath his feet attacked him.
 Kevin's magic that controls trees, and Nono's magic that controls water.
 Faced with attacks from two people who could control magic from outside the range of Healing Perception, Usato calmly evaded them.

"He stopped moving...!! Wol!!"
"Roger that!"

 Furthermore, Wol, who had been waiting nearby, used his earth magic to launch numerous stones into the air.
 I picked them up with my wind magic and made them float, then fired them all at once toward Usato, whose movements were being restricted.

"...!! This is far more formidable than Devils!!"

 In response, Usato slammed his feet into the ground as if fixing himself in place, then covered his right arm with a gauntlet and wrapped his left arm in elastic magic power, taking a stance to counter the incoming stones and wood magic.

"...If this turns into a battle of endurance, we'll be the ones who lose."

 Even so, it wouldn't be strange for that Healing Magic monster to surpass us with nothing but his recovery ability and stamina.
 ...In the first place, the purpose of this entire plan——was to pin down Usato, who possessed an absurd ability to evade attacks. So the plan was proceeding smoothly.

"Sein! Now!!"

 At the same time as I shouted, two arms that had burst out from beneath Usato's feet grabbed both of his legs.

"Got him! Captain!!"
"Sein-san...!? Whoa!?"

 A type of earth magic different from Wol's.
 Sein's magic, which allowed him to turn the earth itself into mud and control it, greatly restricted Usato's movements.
 ———At this point, Nono, Kevin, Wol, Sein, and Vina had achieved their goal.
 And this was also the end of the plan I had revealed to the five of them.
 From here on was my true objective.

"Finally, the time has come..."
"Hmm, that's some nice malice..."

 I gently handed Lynn, who was sitting on my shoulder for safety, over to Vina, then picked up the club I had prepared for this moment.
 With wind magic wrapped around me, I charged straight toward Usato, who was still unable to move.
 Even though his feet were stuck in the ground, he was distracted by dealing with the stone projectiles and wood magic flying at him from all directions.

"Eh, El-san, what are you———"

 Nono, who had been firing water magic while hiding in the bushes, looked at me with wide eyes.
 She seemed surprised to see me making a move that wasn't part of the plan, but this was my true plan!

"This whole operation was only meant for me to beat him up in the end!!"
"""""Eeeehhh!?"""""
"!"

 He noticed my presence when we were only a short distance away, but it was already too late!!
 The club was already closing in on his torso, and it struck his body with a powerful blow as I passed by him——but it was swung through with a shocking lack of resistance.

"Wha, ahh!?"

 No, this isn't the feeling of hitting someone with a body made entirely of muscles!
 Looking at my hand, I saw something like a cloth made of magic power wrapped around the club.
 ... Magic power with elasticity!? Not only that, but right before the club hit him, Usato's body seemed to have a double image...

"Well done."
"......!"
"Healing Afterimage Fist. I never thought I'd be forced to use a new technique this easily."

 The important thing was that Usato himself was already standing behind me before I even noticed, while I was still shaken.
 Realizing that my plan had failed, I asked with a trembling voice.

"...How did you break free from the restraints...?"
"I punched the ground and escaped."

 Looking at the place where Usato had been restrained moments ago, I could see a fist-sized hole in the muddy ground.
 ...Isn't there something seriously wrong with this guy...?

"I never thought you'd be able to push me this far. You all did well."
"Captain..."
"I'd like to praise you more, but the truth is, we need to hurry back to the city. Everyone, sorry for the sudden request, but start preparing to return."

 "Yes!" Kevin and the others responded with a deep voice and began preparing to return.
 Hearing that the training was ending so suddenly, I still couldn't fully grasp it.

"...Phew"

 As Usato, looking somewhat tired, loosened the collar around his Healing Mages uniform and let out a sigh, I saw Lynn, who had come down from the tree together with Vina, running toward us with little steps.

"Ah, Lynn."

 Thinking back, if this little one hadn't been here, I might not have been able to keep my sanity throughout this training.
 Although the plan itself ended in failure, being able to discover Lynn, an ultra-cute angel, could be considered a greater achievement than anything else.
 Realizing that the corners of my mouth were naturally lifting, I crouched down to welcome Lynn as she came toward me———but Lynn passed right by me and, unbelievably, jumped onto Usato's shoulder, who was standing behind me.

"You've learned another weird technique again, haven't you!?"
"...Eh?"

 Eh, it's talking?
 Areh? Why is Usato also so surprised... or rather, he isn't...?
 My thoughts couldn't keep up as Lynn began complaining in human language while lightly tapping Usato's cheek with her front paws.

"What on earth happened?!" (Lynn)
"Basically, I was attacked by Devils and Auru-san's group. I accomplished my objective, and I'm not injured, but things got a little complicated."
"...Tell me about it later. More importantly, hurry up and explain to her."

 Perhaps noticing me standing there in shock, Usato looked over at me.
 Then, the moment Lynn jumped down from Usato's shoulder, she transformed into the all-too-familiar girl with black hair and red eyes.

"I asked Nea to keep an eye on you guys and provide support."
"That wasn't the only thing I did, though... E~hto, I'm sorry?"

 The vampire who had been disguised as Lynn, Nea, gave an awkward smile.

"I'm this person's familiar."

 These people were real Devils.
 The shock of being betrayed by someone I had thought was so cute until now, combined with my exhaustion, caused me to do something extremely strange: I fainted while standing.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Author's Notes:
The subordinates showed teamwork that was more troublesome than the Devils.
This was also a chapter where each of their magic abilities was showcased, but Nono's magic may look plain, yet in terms of ability, it is actually quite powerful.