Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 5, Consultation


"That concludes today's lesson."

 The bell rings for the end of class, and a female teacher stands at the podium―― Makiri-sensei urged the class rep to give the order.
 When the greetings were done, she walked out of the classroom.

 I also left my seat to leave the classroom.
 Then I went out into the hallway and faced Makiri-sensei, who had left the classroom earlier.

 She looked at my face and said, as if she remembered.

"Just right, Tomoki-kun. If you have no upcoming business, you can come to the student guidance office."

 I responded to Makiri-sensei's words with a single word, "Yes".
 I have no particular business.
 And to be honest, I was thinking to myself that it was about time that Makiri-sensei called me.

 Makiri-sensei nodded in satisfaction.
 I followed her down the corridor and immediately arrived at the student guidance room.

"Please, have a seat"

 I sat down on the pipe chair, just as Makiri-sensei had said.
 She made a thoughtful gesture, then opened her mouth.

"I know we don't have much time, and I should probably get to the point quickly... You worked hard on your final exam. It's amazing that you came in second in your grade. Congratulations, Tomoki-kun."

 Said Makiri-sensei, laughing softly.
 I was a little taken aback.
 I'm honestly happy to be praised, but it's kind of itchy.

"Thank you.... But it wasn't my ability that got me second place, it was the fact that I learned from Ike. After all, that guy is amazing."

 When I mentioned the name of my friend who had been ranked first in the school in all the academic tests so far, Makiri-sensei slowly shook her head.

"No matter how much you learn from the best, it's useless if the person receiving it isn't willing to listen. Tomoki-kun, the reason you came in second place is because of your own efforts, not anyone else's. Take pride in that."

"I think it was really important to have a friend who could teach.... However, there have been cases like Asakura's where his grades suddenly improved after he became motivated, so it's up to the individual."

 When I suddenly mentioned Asakura, who was ranked fifth in the grade, Makiri-sensei looked unusually awkward.

"Asakura-kun, eh... When he gets that high, it makes me wonder if I've been doing a bad job in class."

 …… That was because of his unusual motivation during the test period and Ike's precise guidance, and I'm sure that Makiri-sensei was not responsible for that.

"... So, this is the main subject."

 With a serious expression on her face, Makiri-sensei prefaced her statement.
 I instinctively corrected my posture and waited for the next words.

"Tomoki-kun and Hasaki-san. You've been getting along strangely well lately, or rather. It looks like the relationship is more than that... Did something happen?"

 Makiri-sensei questioned me about my relationship with Kana.

 I knew this was what she would be talking about, and I was convinced.
 Rather, the reason I hadn't been asked before was... maybe because there was a final exam.

 To a third party who doesn't know what's going on, I'm sure I look like a two-timing guy.
 But... I've told Makiri-sensei that Touka and I are "fake" lovers.

 Maybe that's why the current relationship seems even more twisted.

"There was some stuff going on with Kana."

 I was wondering how to explain, but when I answered, Makiri-sensei asked again with a serious expression on her face.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd talk to me, to the extent that you can."

 I nodded at Makiri-sensei's words.
 She's one of the few people I can truly trust.
 She would not tell anyone lightly, nor would she do anything bad.

 She's listening to me and trying to help me.
 I can see it in her straight gaze.

 Convinced of this, I told her that I had recently realized that Kana and I had known each other since childhood, and that she had told me she liked me.

 I couldn't tell her about the fact that Kana was called "Natsuo" or the specific things that had happened, but even so, Makiri-sensei seemed to understand what had happened.

"... So, what did Tomoki-kun respond?"

 Makiri-sensei asks me.

"I turned her down. I said I couldn't go out with Kana."

"Why did you refuse? I think Hasaki-san is a wonderful girl, even though from my perspective as a person of the same gender."

"Even if it was "fake", I thought it was important to have a relationship with Touka. And I thought it would be rude to go out with someone I wasn't in love with... And I wasn't conscious of her at that time."

"What?"

 When Hasaki told me how she felt about me, I couldn't think of anything else but happiness and feeling sorry for hurting her.

 Lately, I've had a sudden feeling.


"I think ―― maybe I was scared."

 
 In my head, I can understand that there should be nothing to be afraid of after I rejected Kana.

 I can't really put it into words, but sometimes I get scared.
 The fact that I didn't know where these feelings came from or what they were made me feel even more uneasy.


"……I see"

 Makiri-sensei said, and then ――.

"I understand the situation. In other words, Hasaki-san can't give up on you and is still trying to approach you. I want to respect her wishes, so I can't say too much. ...... Never deal with dishonesty, okay? ...Well then, I'm sorry to have taken up so much of your time. You'd better get back so you won't be late for your next class."

 She continued.
 It seems that Makiri-sensei is thinking of wrapping up this talk, but ――.

"Eh? No. No. No. I was hoping I could get some advice from Makiri-sensei?"

 I was honestly hoping to talk to someone about this anxiety.

 Normally, I would have talked to Ike first, but since I haven't told him the truth about my relationship with Touka, it would be difficult to discuss it with him.
 And if I talk to Touka, who is trying to continue the 'fake' lover relationship, she will give me a biased opinion.

 In other words, I can only talk to Makiri-sensei, a person I trust and who knows about the relationship between Touka and me.

 And yet, the one person I can rely on, Makiri-sensei, won't give me any clear advice...
 I thought to myself, in light despair,

"It's okay, don't think so seriously."

 A gentle, compassionate expression appeared on Makiri-sensei's face.

"Someday ―― Someone who cares about you will take care of those feelings for you. I guarantee it."

 Directly to my face, Makiri-sensei told me so.
 ...... If she's assured me so much, there's really no need to take it seriously, is there? I thought to myself.

"I understand. As Makiri-sensei said, I don't know if that... will come eventually. I'll try not to think about it too much right now... Then I'm going back to class."

 With that, I stood up and turned my back on Makiri-sensei as I made my way out of the student guidance office.
 As I put my hand on the door, I heard a voice say to me, "Oh, right."

 What happened?
 With that in mind, I turned around and looked at Makiri-sensei.

 Makiri-sensei also stood up and then she opened her mouth.

"I care about you as a student. So if you ever need advice, I'd be happy... if you could talk to me again."

 Makiri-sensei's face when she said that looked really happy... For some reason, the last time I went to this student guidance room at this timing.
I remembered staring at her at close range when I came ――

"...At that time, please take care of me."

 Trying to contain my embarrassment, I said a few words and left the guidance office.