Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 4, Vice President


"Talk? What is it?"

 When I said that, Kana interrupted from next to me.

"Tatsumiya-san, we don't have much time left for break, are you fine?"

 Looking at the clock, there were only five or six minutes left of break time.
 Indeed, I don't think we can talk too long.

"Yes, it's all right, Hasaki-san. I just have a few questions I want to ask."

 Tatsumiya replied to Kana.
 From the sound of their tones and their expressions, I thought they didn't sound like they had never met before, so I whispered to Kana.

"...Do you know her?"

 Then Kana held her ears and her face turned red, and,

"I-It's not fair to sneak up! ...It makes me surprised."

 I didn't mean to do that, but seeing Kana's embarrassment, I felt awkward.

"Sorry, I'll be careful. So, do you two know each other?"

 Kana's lips pouted in disappointment when I asked her again, and then she answered.

"Yes, Tatsumiya-san is the vice president of the student council, so I often saw her with Haruma. So we've talked a few times."

"Ah, it's our vice president?"

 Even though she was being called the vice president of the student council, it didn't really ring a bell.

"I think Tomoki-san has seen me a few times in the student council room, but... you don't seem to remember?"

 I guess she heard our conversation, though Tatsumiya at the front didn't look particularly displeased and said so.

"Sorry, I'm not very good at remembering people's faces."

 There's a sad reason that if I see enough of a person's face to remember them, they'll be frightened away from me without question.

"Well, then, I'll be happy if you can remember me from this time."

 With that said, Tatsumiya smiled ladylike.

 I thought she wasn't scared of me, but if she's a member of the student council, maybe she's heard the stories from Ike and the other officers and doesn't misunderstand me.

"Yeah, I already remembered. So, what's the talk?"

"About the results of this test"

 To my question, Tatsumiya nodded and then answered.

"In the first year, you placed 7th in the end-of-year test. The last midterm was 6th place. And this year's final exam was.... 2nd. It seems that you have always been excellent at what you do, but I would like to know the secret behind your excellent results this time.... So what means did Tomoki-san use?"

 With a dignified expression and a sharp, cold gaze, Tatsumiya asks a question in a firm voice.

 I had a bad feeling.
 Could this be...

"Do you suspect that I cheat?"

"Eh!? What are you talking about, Tatsumiya-san!? Yuuji-kun would never do such a thing!!?"

 When I say that, Kana tells her in a rushed tone.
 At the sight of this, Tatsumiya gave a scowling expression and then chuckled modestly.

"Why do Tomoki-san's good grades arouse such suspicion? As I said before, he had excellent grades to begin with, right? I was wondering if he had learned some effective learning method or started attending a prep school."

"... I thought your voice sounded sharp. Was that just my imagination?"

 If Tatsumiya hadn't lied in her words, why would she speak in a questioning tone like that?
 And that challenging look on her face when she approached me...
 There must be something. So I looked at her carefully.

"That's... I'm sorry. I couldn't help but feel frustrated. I may have spoken harshly."

 Tatsumiya muttered as she awkwardly averted her gaze.

"Frustrated?"

 After nodding her head and smiling shyly, Tatsumiya continued.

"I had been studying with the goal of surpassing the president, but I was unable to do so for the entire year. And when I moved up to the second year, I was overtaken by Tomoki-san. .... So, I did not care about appearance, I asked for advice."

 So that's what it was.
 Bowing to an opponent who had defeated you was certainly not a good feeling.

"Until Yuuji-kun overtook her, Tatsumiya-san had always been in second place in the grade, below Haruma. In other words, until the last time, she was actually in the first place."

 Kana whispers.
 No matter how many times I hear about it, it's amazing how Ike is treated by her.

"If that's what you mean, I can help you. I know exactly why my grades have improved."

 When I said that, her expression brightened up.

"Really?"

 I nodded once, and then explained to Tatsumiya.

"Ike is the reason why my results are improving."

"President is the reason... What does that mean?"

"What I mean is that I had been studying with Ike during the test period. When I was a freshman, I used to solve my weak problems by myself, racking my brains, but when I had Ike's help, I was able to understand them immediately and study more efficiently. That's why my grades improved this time."

"Studying with the president after school!? I-It’s so enviou... not! I see. Tomoki-san had been studying on his own to prepare for the test, but by having the president watch him study, he was able to efficiently eliminate his weaknesses. Is that what you mean?"

 For a moment, Tatsumiya was very upset.
 Immediately after that, she pretended to be calm and said to me.

 ...... As expected, Ike Haruma is a perfect superhuman, a super popular guy.
 The vice president of the student council seemed to have already been conquered.

"That's how it is"

 I replied, and Tatsumiya nodded her head.
 Then she opens her mouth.

"...But that doesn't seem to help me."

"Why? If you don't care about appearance, wouldn't it be quicker if you asked Haruma to teach you?"

 Kana curiously asked Tatsumiya.
 Then, Tatsumiya answers the question with a bitter smile.

"Asking the President to teach you in order to beat him ―― isn't that the royal road?" (Note: a way of attaining or reaching something without trouble.)

 In the end, it's all about willpower, I guess.
 Kana seemed to agree with that answer.

"...Then it can't be helped."

 She gave a wry smile.
 For one thing or another, Kana hates to lose too, so I guess she can understand her feelings.
 Tatsumiya then smiled at me and Kana and then gave a bow.

"Then, in the near future. Have a nice day, Tomoki-san and Hasaki-san."

 Then she walked down the hallway and back to her classroom.

 After watching her back, I remembered her parting words.

 What does she mean in the near future...?

 When I remain silent, Kana mutters to me.

"She's beautiful, isn't she, Tatsumiya-san is."

"Oh, that's right."

 Indeed, Tatsumiya is a beautiful girl.
 I responded to Kana's question with just what I thought.

"... Well, Yuuji-kun, what do you think about a girl like Tatsumiya-san?"

 I answered Kana's anxious question just as I had done before, just what I thought.

"If Kana, who is always bright and friendly, is everyone's idol. Tatsumiya, with her gentle and unapproachable atmosphere, is like an unattainable flower. Still, I'm surprised it's the first time I've ever seen someone say 'Have a nice day' or something like that in real life." (Note: She said Gokigen'you)

 I was waiting for some kind of reaction, but... Kana didn't have any reaction to my words.
 What happened?
 With that in mind, I looked at Kana...



 Her face was bright red and her shoulders were shaking with tears in the corners of her eyes.



"W-What's wrong!?"

 In response to my question, Kana muttered, "Because...",

"A-An idol... I didn't know that you saw me like that..."

 She said, looking at me with a tight expression.
 I see. Looking back... That's a pretty embarrassing thing to say, me.

"Sorry, forget it."

"...No. I will never forget it."

 When I calmly muttered a few words, Kana looked at me straight in the eyes and strongly assured me.
 When I gave her a troubled look, she gave me a satisfied look and then went on to say that she was relieved.

"But I'm glad.... I don't need to be worried about Tatsumiya-san."

 The murmur reached my ears, but... I wasn't insensitive enough to say, "About what?"

"...Let's go back to class "

 I felt sorry that I couldn't respond to anything she said.

"Yeah, let's go back. Let's hurry up so we won't be late."

 Kana and I walked side by side in the hallway to the classroom.