Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 3, Result


 A few days after the study session.
 The tests at the end of the first semester have been successfully finished and each test has already been handed back.

 The students are happy and sad when they see the results of each test.

 And in our school, every time there is a regular test, the results of the top scorers are posted on the bulletin board for each grade.

 Many of the students were in full onlooker mode, going to check it out as soon as it was posted and making a lot of fun and noise.
 …… I didn't want to get in the way of that, so I went to check it out not immediately after it was posted, but at a later time.

 When I headed to the posted location, there was no one there but me..
 This is convenient.

 This test, like the previous one, was taught by Ike, and since the returned test scores were good, I was curious to see what the results were.
 I'm usually in the top 10 of my grade, but this time I might be in the top 5... kidding, I think.

"Wow, Asakura. 5th place."

 The first thing I found was Asakura's name.
 Ike had been teaching him the other day, and I'd heard that he ended up being about the bottom of the class... What a surprise to be fifth in the grade all at once.

 On the other hand, if he can get such a good score just by studying seriously during the test period.
 What was Asakura's study so far? I simply wondered.

"...Vain hope "

 Suddenly, a troubled murmur reached my ears.
 I turn around and look next to me.
 There was Asakura, standing there with a look of self-mockery on his face.

"From when?"

"I noticed that Tomoki had wandered out of the classroom. I figured he must be here, and sure enough."

 I see. You expected me to come here, and you followed me.

"In other words, you wanted to declare victory? Congratulations, Asakura. I've lost."

 I say, shrugging my shoulders.
 The reason Asakura had worked so hard was surely because of the study session the other day.

 I admit defeat and praise Asakura...

"Really... it's a vain hope."

 Asakura muttered repeatedly, with his eyelids down.

"... There's nothing vain about it. I've never been ranked fifth in my grade, even though I'm a homecoming student who studies hard."

 When Asakura heard my words, he laughed.
 What happened to Asakura today?
 When I looked at him, he pointed to the bulletin board and then said.

"I lost, Tomoki"

 I check where Asakura was pointing.

 What was written there ――.









Second Place Tomoki Yuuji









 Ah…….
 I was second in my grade?

"...Somehow, sorry."

 Looking back at what he had said and done so far, it was like the guy who was second in the grade was being sarcastic to the guy who was fifth in his grade.
 It was just a lack of confirmation on our part, and I didn't mean to, but still... I'm sorry.

"Don't apologize, Tomoki"

 With a somewhat refreshed expression, Asakura continued.

"It makes me even more miserable, doesn't it?"

 What should I do, I think I've unconsciously pushed my friend over the edge.
 When I was wondering what I should say...

"Ah, Yuuji-kun! I thought you hadn't come back to class, but here you are!"

 This time, Kana came over and called out to me in a cheerful voice.

"Second place, congratulations. Haruma is the only one above you, so it's practically like first place!"

 Kana gave a thumbs-up and a smile.
 I know what you mean, but I'm not sure how to put it that way.

 And afterward, she also calls out to Asakura, whose despair deepens when he sees me being praised by Kana.

"Asakura-kun was also in 5th place, it's amazing! I studied harder than ever, and Yuuji-kun taught me all the time, but my ranking only went up a little."

 Kana laughs awkwardly after giving praise to Asakura.

"...Yeah? Is that awesome, me?"

 Then, somewhat embarrassed, Asakura turned to Kana and asked.
 It was obvious, but his attitude was completely different from when I encouraged him.

"Yeah, it's amazing! I think it's wonderful when someone is good at study! Haruma is always at the top, it's a little turned off, but Yuuji-kun is really wonderful."

 Asakura replied to Kana, who casually disrespected Ike.

"The last word was superfluous, though. I thought it was just that Hasaki likes Tomoki after all? I thought... Still, it was comforting. Thank you, Hasaki. I'll keep those words in mind and live strong. "

 Then, with a somewhat satisfied expression on his face, Asakura began to walk toward the classroom.

"I want to be popular..."

 Asakura then muttered in an earnest tone of voice.
 Kana and I watched his melancholy back in silence.

"D-Did I say something bad?"

 Kana asked me with an awkward expression.

"...I think it's better to follow up."

"Yeah, I'll do that."

 Kana replied with a wry smile.

"... Well, I guess we'd better get back to class."

 I said, but Kana didn't move from her spot.
 What's going on, I wondered... 

"Hey, Yuuji-kun, When all I do is play tennis and I'm about to fail, will you teach me how to study?"

 Kana asks with an anxious expression.
 She must have studied harder than ever, but was she shocked to find that, unlike Asakura, her results were almost the same as before.

 I nodded once, then opened my mouth.

"Of course. I'll help you when the time comes."

 When I said that, Kana smiled happily.

"Then, uninterrupted supervision, it's just two of us, ... overnight cramming. Can you teach me, please?"

 Kana said with a spoiled expression.
 I responded to Kana's tremendous appeal, keeping my composure.

"... When it comes to school study, it is important to prepare and review on a regular basis. I'm sorry, but I can't take care of that much for you. If you don't want to flunk out, it's best to work hard on a regular basis."

"Mo-, Yuuji-kun is so mean!"

 Kana frowned at my words, but said it with a somewhat happy expression.


 This time, I decided to turn around and go back to the classroom.
 Then, before I knew it, there was a female student standing there.

 She made eye contact with me, then smiled and slowly opened her mouth.


"Tomoki Yuuji-san. May I have your time, please?"

 I had never been approached so casually by a girl I didn't know before, so I was a bit taken aback, but I said something in response.

"Yeah, no problem"

 The elegant, well-bred girl with glossy black hair standing in front of me smiled reassuringly and then opened her mouth.

"Nice to meet you, I am Tatsumiya Otome"

 The girl didn't show any sign of fear when she looked me in the eye.
 A courageous girl.
 I thought so, and nodded one, urging her to speak. 

"May I ask you a few questions?"


 With a somewhat challenging smile, she looked at me and asked.