Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

30, The Usual Ponkotsu (Above)


(Note: Ponkotsu or PON (in short) meaning "clumsy", "useless" or "unreliable")

 After the second-year mixed relay, the only event remaining was the third-year relay.
 Me and Tatsumiya were walking somewhat in the same direction after we split up.

"Ike-kun was so fast!"
"Seriously awesome"
"That's it!"
"As expected of Ike. Winning by a single lap, that's bada*ss."

 I saw Ike receiving rave reviews from the rest of the class.

"The reason we made a gap of a single lap is because everyone in the class worked so hard."

 Ike responds with confusion,

"Seriously, Ike is so humble~"
"That's it!"

 The gallery was excited.
 Hearing that momentum-only word, it occurred to me that maybe everyone was working too hard at the athletic festival and everyone's IQ was dropping significantly.

"Oh, Yuuji and Tatsumiya!"

 A puzzled Ike spotted me and Tatsumiya and called out to us.

"Thank you for your hard work, Kaichou."

 Tatsumiya smiled back and I nodded my head in silence.

"... Ah, we'll go back to our class."
"Later, Ike~"

 Saying that, Ike's followers quietly dispersed.
 ... They were obviously frightened of me.
 I guess I'm still an object of fear to everyone except my classmates.

 After that, I made eye contact with Ike and said a few words.

"We got the first place."

"Yeah, thanks to everyone."

 Ike nodded and then said so.
 This time, he turns toward Tatsumiya,

"But I can't say that the game between us and Tatsumiya is settled. No game this time, let's settle it next time."
 
 That's what he said.
 After Tatsumiya coughed, cleared her throat,

"So I guess that makes me the winner for today, ... is that alright?"

 She asked the question to Ike.
 
"I don't know how the red and white teams will end up, but ... I personally think we lost to Tatsumiya."

 Ike looked a little puzzled, but soon laughed softly and affirmed Tatsumiya's words.

 Tatsumiya's cheeks reddened, then she began to speak with a tormented expression on her face.

"I came today to get one, and only one, victory from kaichou. I stirred up Tomoki-san, called on Touka-san, borrowed power from the people in my class, and on top of all that, I finally won with a truly tiny victory."

 Ike listens silently to Tatsumiya's voice as she speaks in a trembling voice, though he is a little puzzled.


"I don't think I have completely won against kaichou with this, and it is the real academic test that I want to win. I do not intend to settle for being your runner-up. I want to be your equal"


 I knew that her resolve and determination were unwavering.

"That's why I will try to win the next one to the death, so don't get me wrong."

 Hearing the words straight out, unleashed at Ike, Ike laughed happily.
 After that,

"Yeah, neither Yuuji nor I intend to lose. Right?"

 Tapping me lightly on the shoulder, Ike asks for my agreement.
 ...By all accounts, Tatsumiya was probably throwing words at Ike right now, but I was a little irritated that she ignored me completely, so I nodded my head in agreement.

 However, Tatsumiya, upon hearing Ike's response, was somewhat fidgety.
 Then, she looked at Ike as if she was expecting something,

"So, um... Kaichou, don’t you have something to say to me?"

 She asked.

"Hmm? ... No, not particularly."

 Ike responds with a shake of his head.
 Then, Tatsumiya fidgeted even more,

"N-No. Don't be shy, it's okay..."

 She says again.
 Me and Ike look at each other but nod to each other that we have no idea.

 What happened to Tatsumiya...?
 I wondered if she had finally gone crazy, but Tatsumiya had been crazy before, so perhaps her current state was not a particularly strange situation.

"Yeah, I do "

 Ike spoke up, as if he had just thought of something.
 Tatsumiya looked at him with an expected gaze.

"Did you enjoy the sports festival?"

 In response to Ike's words, Tatsumiya――.

"Eh? Ah... yes."

 She replies.

"Well, then, good. Well then, I'll be cheering for the seniors as the final competition has begun. See you later, Tatsumiya."

 Ike said so, and he turned away and walked away.
 Normally, Tatsumiya would have walked next to him, but for some reason, she was standing there in a state of absentminded.

 ... What an awkward situation.
 I don't know why I was left behind, but I should go back to the class tent too.

"Well then, Tatsumiya, I'm going back to class. See..."

 I was about to say, "See you later".

"Please wait"

 She grabbed me by the arm and stopped me.
 
"...What?"

 When I fearfully turned around and asked the question, Tatsumiya gave me a blank stare, and asked.

"Why don't we have a little chat in front of the storage room we just left?"

 


"Why... Why!? Why kaichou doesn't confess to me――――?!?!?"

 After moving to the front of the storeroom and confirming that there was no one around, Tatsumiya suddenly shouted.
 She really shouted out of the blue, and I was just plain surprised, and even more than that, I was just plain taken aback.

 But I'm used to her odd behavior.
 
"... For now, tell me what it's all about."

 I asked the ponkotsu vice president, whose face was bright red and tears were welling up in the corners of her eyes.