Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

29, Revenge?


 As I was about to part ways with Touka and return to the waiting tent, Tatsumiya, walking in front of me, was calling out to Ike.

 I was thinking about taking a slight detour, probably out of concern for Tatsumiya who wanted to talk to him alone, but my eyes normally met Ike's as he turned around.

 After replying to Tatsumiya,

"Yuuji, good work."

 He also called out to me.
 I responded by raising my hand and then walking over to them.
 Tatsumiya looked displeased for a moment, but then quickly put on a cool expression.

"Kaichou and Tomoki-san, thank you for your hard work. But ... just a few minutes ago in the cavalry battle, the scores were reversed"

 At Tatsumiya's words, I and Ike turn our attention to the scoreboard.
 The results of the cavalry battle reflected the results, with the white team slightly ahead.

"That's right. By the way, it was Tatsumiya's instructions that stopped me and Yuuji from moving, wasn't it?"

 Ike happily asks Tatsumiya.
 She grinned at the words, but neither affirmed nor denied them.
 Ike saw it and guessed,

"I went into it thinking it was a completely personal battle, and I got beat."

 He said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Is kaichou making excuses for not being able to play an active role?"

"I'm not making excuses. Including that lack of awareness, I was completely defeated, Tatsumiya."

 Tatsumiya, who had seemed to be very pleased at the smiling Ike, has turned around and looks happy, but more than that, she looks embarrassed and agitated.

"N-No. That being said, I couldn't get kaichou's headband, and Tomoki-san took mine, so it wasn't a complete defeat..."

"Me and Yuuji hardly had any active roles, and as a result, the red team scored more points than the white team. Frankly speaking, if we had not been so thoroughly marked, I am confident that we could have been more aggressive"

 Ike asked me to agree, and I nodded my head.

 Tatsumiya, who saw our exchange, looked down in embarrassment, folded her hands in front of her chest, and exhaled with a sigh of relief.
 If Ike had not noticed anything from this, it is understandable that he was relieved, since Tatsumiya's hard work would have gone in vain.

 To her, Ike continues.

"But it's not settled yet. There is still the "Mixed Relay," an event for the remaining two years. If we win there, we will be able to turn the tables!"

 Ike declared with a fresh smile, looking straight at Tatsumiya.
 Tatsumiya was probably happy because she got a straight gaze from Ike.
 With flushed cheeks,

"... Still, I'm not going to let you win this one, okay?"

 Tatsumiya told him so with a happy smile.




 —Then the "Mixed Relay" began.

 From the beginning, our class was able to connect the baton at a good pace.
 I'm the second from last, but it looks like I'll be getting my turn sooner than I thought.
 When I lined up for the start, Tatsumiya was, coincidentally, next to me.

 My eyes met hers only briefly, but she quickly looked away in a huff.
 I also take my eyes off her and turn my eyes to the runners in my class.
 When I looked, I saw that Kana, the third from the last, had received the baton.

 As expected of a national tennis player. She has a high level of physical ability.
 Kana passed several people, including boys.

 However, there are still a few people running ahead of her.
 Even now, Tatsumiya has just made a head start.

"Yuuji-kun!"

 When I looked back, I saw Kana was coming at me, pointing her baton.
 I held out my hand behind me while making a run-up and received the baton.

"Good luck!"

 Pushed by Kana's out of breath words, I ran at once.

 The gap between the few in front of me and the rest of the group was shrinking before I saw it.
 With the baton pass in sight, the back of Tatsumiya, who had passed several people and was leading the race, could be seen ... She was passing the baton to the next runner.

"Yuuji!"

 Responding to Ike's voice, I reach out my hand.
 Perhaps due to Ike's skill, I was able to pass the baton smoothly.

 He runs as he is.

"Ike-!"
"Haruma-!"

 As Ike runs, cheers from the girls echo from everywhere.
 
"Kaichou... you are wonderful."

 Tatsumiya, who had just finished her run and was out of breath, "Haa Haa," was also mumbling in fascination.
Even though it was inevitable, she looked like a suspicious person as she said so, her breath coming out unevenly.

 I stood next to Tatsumiya and looked at Ike.
 As he approached the curve, he caught up with the runner ahead of him.

"Tatsumiya... It's our win, right?"

 And as soon as they entered the straight, Ike took the lead and then further widened the gap with the rest of the runners.
 Tatsumiya doesn't even look back at my words.
 The only thing she could do was to keep her eyes fixed on Ike's bravery.

 Ike finished first and cut the finishing tape.
 Soon after that, Tatsumiya opens her mouth.

"—Our win, you mean that you knew you were going to win about midway through this relay, didn't you? Are you trying to be sarcastic?

 And.

 After that voice, the rest of the class connected the baton one after another and continued running.
 Yes, as she said, our win was almost certain by the middle of the game.
 Because by that time, the gap of almost one lap from the rest of the class was already there.

 I reply to Tatsumiya, who gives me a stern look.

"I don't mean to be sarcastic. It's just that after all the excitement, it was already settled before we got to run. It's like a joke ... Wasn't that funny?"

 After Tatsumiya heard my words, she simply let out a sigh of astonishment,

"Rather than funny or not"

 With that preface,

"Tomoki-san's jokes are hard to understand."

 Saying so, she smiled somewhat gently.