Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

28, The Match


 In the afternoon, the cheering competition, one of the main attractions of the event, was successfully completed, and only a few events remained to be competed in.
 Check the scores of the red team and the white team.
 We, the white group, are slightly higher.
 Depending on the outcome of the next event, a joint cavalry competition between the first and second years, the winner could be decided at this point.

"All right, Tomoki. Let's do it with the intention of winning here."

 Asakura, who will be the rider this time, said so.
 Behind him is a member of the sports festival committee, who is also a cavalryman, and the track and field team.

 
 This cavalry battle is very simple: how many headbands can be taken from the opposing team in the 10-minute competition time.
 Our white team has Ike, but it's not a competition that can be won solely on the success of a single player.
 However, a group's efforts are never in vain either.

"Yeah, let's do our best"

 Thinking so, I respond by nodding to Asakura's words.


"Well then, everyone, please get ready."

 I heard an announcement, had the cavalry teamed up, and I straddled them.
 When the surroundings are ready,

"Well then, yo~i..."

 BANG

 The competition began with that sound.

 We run through at once, heading for the other team.

"Eh, T-Tomoki, S-senpai!?"

"R-Run away!"

 I quickly took off the headband of my opponent who was agitated by my appearance.

"Okay, as expected of Tomoki!"

 Asakura said happily.
 Could it be that as expected is referring to my fierce look...?
 I thought for a moment, but quickly switched over to concentrate on the competition.

 Looking for the next opponent,

"That's as far as you go, Tomoki-san."

 I hear a challenging voice.
 I turned around, Tatsumiya was there.

"Is it okay if you don't go to Ike?"

"There is no need to worry. I've sent some people to hold up kaichou."

 In the midst of the chaos, I look around.
 Then there was Ike's cavalry, surrounded by four pairs of cavalrymen at the end of the line of sight.

"... If it's only four units, Ike will sweep them away in no time, you know?"

"Kaichou certainly has tremendous physical ability, but there are no outstanding ability values to his cavalry. ... But surely he might eventually defeat about four groups of them."

"... Before that, Tatsumiya is going to join them."

 At my words, Tatsumiya nodded with a grin,

"The weak pieces hold down the strong pieces. That's enough to fulfill the job."

 She said so with a smug look on her face.
 I've heard that line somewhere ... Perhaps she recently read Wor〇 Trigger.
 Surprisingly, it seemed that my and Tatsumiya's tastes in manga matched, as we were both reading novels and romantic comedies.

"I guess I've been underestimated"

 Tatsumiya smiled mischievously at my words and then said,

"No way. I would never underestimate you. I am wary of you. And as I said before, ... I want to win, even against you, okay?"

 ... This is, could it be.
 
"Now then... Before kaichou (main dish), let's start with the appetizer (you)."

 I knew it.
 Unfortunately, Tatsumiya, who is still in an ongoing weird tension, came at me with that while maintaining a cool neck angle.
 Feeling somewhat embarrassed, I responded and accepted the challenge.


 A few minutes later, me and Tatsumiya were still facing each other.
 There is something wrong with the situation.
 ... Tatsumiya is not so talkative.

 I thought Tatsumiya was going to attack aggressively, but she just looked at the situation and went on the defensive.
 It is weird that she has a fearless smile on her face, although I would say it is due to the reach difference between girls and boys.

 But what exactly does this girl want?
 At this rate, instead of going to Ike, time will just pass us by...
 And then, when I thought that far, I came to an idea.

"You're just trying to buy time, huh?"

 At my words, Tatsumiya moved her gaze and then nodded in satisfaction.

 ... For Tatsumiya, they should not be able to leave me, who took multiple headbands in the beginning of the game, and needless to say, Ike's group, which is a key player to watch out for, alone.
 If only one group could have held me back like that, it would have been a positive enough work for the red group.

 Looking at Ike.
 Looking over there, the four surrounding groups were mostly on the defensive.

 ―I remember her words.

『The weak pieces hold down the strong pieces』
『I would never underestimate you.』

 Good grief, what a mess.
 So Tatsumiya told me from the beginning that I was a strong pawn and took the utmost precaution.

 ... I feel like it's an overestimation.
 
"Did you realize it just now? However, we have already gained enough time. About 3 minutes left. ... This is where the real serious game begins."

 At my words, Tatsumiya chuckled and then came toward me vigorously.
 Her slender arm frantically stretches toward my headband.

 Seeing that sharp attack, ... I realized it was an opportunity.

 The attack was almost a desperate one, as if she was caught off guard by the success of her strategy, or she was only focused on the attack.
 Tatsumiya lost her balance when she grabbed the outstretched arm and pulled.
 
 I went on and easily grabbed her headband wrapped around her head.
 My eyes meet with hers.

 The frustrated look on her face, but that smile that seems somehow triumphant.
 I immediately understood what that look meant.

"Excuse me Yuuji-senpai! I'll take your headband~!"

 I heard such a voice behind me, and by the time I reacted, it was already too late.
 Touka, who was in a good mood, snatched away my headband and left.

"...They got me"

 I murmured while holding Tatsumiya's headband.

"I had a discussion with Touka-san before we started. I asked her to either be the chairman or to cooperate in taking your headband. Earlier, when you noticed that we were stalling for time, Touka-san came into view at the right moment. So I thought, here is the place to set it up."

"I lost, Tatsumiya."

 I got off my horse, walked up to the Tatsumiya and said so.
 I thought she was going to say something with pride of victory, but Tatsumiya looked away with a pout and then said,

"... I planned to take Tomoki-san's headband and there was no plan for him to take mine. This is a total split of the pain."

 She said in a bored tone.
 The way she looked like a child who hates to lose made me smile, and I relaxed my mouth slightly.


 In the end, the white team lost the cavalry battle and the scores were reversed.

 This was probably due to the fact that Ike spent most of his time dealing with the four groups. (The fact that he finally took out four groups, I'd have to say it's just as expected, though.)

"Well, it was fun, cavalry battle!"

 Touka, who was in a good mood, started talking to me.
 She survived to the end and took many headbands.
 
"Yeah, you're right"

 I replied to Touka.

"... Areh, I thought you might complain that I had taken you by surprise."

 Touka says with a puzzled expression.
 
"I won't complain. Nonetheless, you did a great job, Touka."

 In response to my words, Touka said, "I see, that's fine then," with a somewhat puzzled expression on her face.

 But it's no surprise to me.
 No matter how active I could be, it's always much more fun to have someone like Tatsumiya or Touka that stand up against me than to be scared and keep running away like the first few groups I took the headbands from―.