Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

27, Weekly Shonen Tatsumiya


"Uwah, Vice President ... it's nothing"

 One of the boys in the group responded in an overtly awkward manner.
 They were by no means delinquents, so they said, "Ahh, shut up. What does the vice president want with us, Hahn?", Not like that, but the atmosphere was pretty bad.

"If it was nothing, what were you doing in such a deserted place?"

"Whatever we do during our breaks, that's up to us..."

 One boy murmured.

"Yes, yes. Or are you trying to say that we, the good students, are hiding and smoking cigarettes?"

 The gaze of a provocative male student.
 A single Tatsumiya against multiple boys.
 They thought they had a mental advantage and immediately began to show signs of being somewhat relaxed.

"No, I didn't see any smoke or anything like that, and I don't think you would have done that."

 Tatsumiya said clearly.
 Hearing these words, the boys grin and lift the edges of their mouths.

"Then..."But"

 Interrupting the boy who was about to argue, Tatsumiya continues.

"What kind of good students are you who are happy to speak ill of others in deserted places?"

 After hearing Tatsumiya's words, the boys are about to say something and then close their mouths again.

"Needless to say, kaichou is not the kind of person who socializes for the sake of popularity. I will not tolerate baseless slander."

 Tatsumiya stares at the boys.
 To their frightened response, Tatsumiya pauses for a moment and then tells them again.

"And ... that Tomoki-san too. He is not the kind of person who would hurt people without reason. You should see him properly with your own eyes now, and not be fooled by gossip."

 And,


"I will never tolerate any insult to my friend."


 She said words I couldn't believe my ears.
 ... Honestly speaking, I was quite surprised because I thought that Tatsumiya did not think well of me.

 Each of the boys looked at each other,

"... Tch, noisy"

"Playing dumb"

"Let's get out of here"

 After saying that, they hurriedly walked away from the place.

    "Haa," Tatsumiya let out a small sigh.
 I came out in front of her,

"Yo, is Tatsumiya helping with afternoon preparations, too?"

 I called out to her.

 Tatsumiya turned around, looked at me, and her face turned pale,

"T-Tomoki-san!? ... Did you by any chance hear the conversation just now?"

"What are you talking about?"

"No, it's okay if you didn't hear... I have to get the equipment out for the competition this afternoon, so if you'll excuse me now."

"Then I'll help you too."

 When I said that, Tatsumiya reluctantly nodded.
 After that, I found some cones in the warehouse and brought them back.
 Tatsumiya, carrying the red cones, was surprisingly well suited for the occasion.

"Well then, shall we go?"

 Tatsumiya says so and leaves the warehouse.
 As I followed her, I looked at her back and opened my mouth.

"Hey, Tatsumiya. Maybe not as many as me, but you have quite a few enemies, don't you?"

"You did hear it very clearly!?"

 Tatsumiya flustered, turned around, and said angrily.

"I said, "What are you talking about?" but I didn't say I didn't hear it, did I?"

"Isn't that a quibble..."

 Tatsumiya gives me a stern glare.

"I understand what you mean about Ike, but... Why did you even defend me? If you even defended me, who is considered a delinquent, it's only natural that the other students would be displeased with you, isn't it?"

 I ask a question that suddenly got my attention.
 I would never think she favored me, so I thought it was surprising that she defended me as well.

 At my question, she let out a sigh "Haa" and said,

"In the first place, Tomoki-san is not a delinquent, right?"

 She said firmly.

"But there's no doubt that the other students think I'm a delinquent, right?"

"If so, I know you are not that kind of person. And I trust my own judgment more than the words of others."

 Just as she had said to the boys earlier, this time she said it to me, as if it were a matter of course.
 Then, slightly embarrassed, she continues.


"Besides, it's natural not to feel good when someone speaks ill of your friend."


"Friend..."


 I respond to her words with a small murmur.

 
"... Eh. Areh? Eh, we're already friends... aren't we?"


 Tatsumiya glances at me anxiously.
 
"No, you're right. A friend, right? ... I was just confused because you were always competing with me."

 When she hears my words, she gives a moment of relief, then immediately gives a fearless smile.

"Even though we are friends, we are still rivals. Rather, if Tomoki-san doesn't have any motivation, it would be troubling, wouldn't it?"

 Have I been influenced by the lines that sound like characters from a shonen manga?

"I have no intention of losing the cavalry battle in the afternoon."

 To my provocative words,

"That's what I'm hoping for...!"

 She replied with a provocative look on her face, Tatsumiya must have also been a little weirdly excited...