Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

26, Vice President in Love


 After interacting with the Makiri father and daughter, I decided to go back to my class tent.

"Areh, Tomoki. You're back late. Did something happen?"

 Asakura spotted me and immediately called out to me.

"I just happened to meet an acquaintance and we had a little chat."

 In response to my words, Asakura answered, "Oh, was that so?"
 As expected, I didn't mention the acquaintance who called himself my father-in-law.

"Oh, the next event is the first-year event? Let's see, ... what are they going to do?"

 Asakura asks me while looking at the field of the playground and dropping his eyes to the program.

"It was a scavenger hunt, wasn't it?"

 I say, pointing to a long desk carried to the playground and placards arranged on it.
  
"Ah, it seems so."

 Nodding at Asakura's words, I shifted my gaze to the playground, where several groups of juniors were waiting.
 Looking at the waiting line, I saw that Kai was waiting in the third group, and Touka in the sixth group.
 Apparently, two of them are going to participate.

 Shortly after that, the first group started running.
 In a hurry, they made their goals one by one, borrowing various items from the audience.

 When the first and second groups were successfully completed and the third group lined up at the starting line,

"Ah, it's Kai."

 Asakura muttered.

"He's in high spirits... I wonder what he's going to borrow?"

 When I casually mentioned it, it was just as they were starting and Kai was flipping the placard.
 Then, after looking around with a fidgety look,

"Hmm? Is that Kai guy coming this way?"

 Kai ran toward our class tent.

"Oh, it's true."

 As Asakura was muttering, Kai finally reached the front of the tent.
 Then Kai,

“Asakura-senpai, could you please come with me?”

 Even though he was in his first year, he came to the second year's tent without hesitation and boldly said so.

"Eh, me? I don't mind."

 Asakura stands up,

"Well, I'm off for a bit."

 Said to me, and ran towards the goal with Kai.
 The other guys were still looking for something to borrow, and they ended up finishing in the lead.


"So what did Kai end up borrowing?"

 Asakura returned to the tent after the fifth group started running.
 When I asked him about it, he responded with an expression that seemed to be somewhat confused.

"I don't know what that means. The subject was someone who would say, "Elementary school kids are the best!" I thought you meant someone who looks like he might love CoroCoro Comics, but no matter how I look, I'm a face that loves to read the Weekly Magazine, right? ... Tomoki, do you understand the meaning of the subject?"

"Ah~..."

 There were many things that didn't make sense to me, but I understood the fact that Kai also enjoys reading novels and that some of the Sports Festival Committee members who came up with this subject were joking around.
 A scene at the beach during the summer vacation is on my mind.
 Perhaps Kai, who pulled this subject, was recalling the same scene.

"I think it means "a caring person", doesn't it?"

 I hesitated to tell the truth, so I said something appropriate.

"Hmm, is that what it means...?"

 To Asakura, who still didn't seem convinced,

"Oh, rather than that, Touka has started running."

 And change the subject.

"Oh, it's true. ... As a boyfriend, I guess you have to support her, don't you?"

 Asakura said while grinning.
 It crossed my mind for a moment that I might have to do so,

"Touka doesn't care about that, right?"

 I replied Asakura.
 Then I looked at the playground and saw Touka coming toward me with a placard in her hand.
 ... It’s deja vu.
 Thinking that perhaps Asakura ... is the subject again,

“Yuuji-senpai, please come here!”

 Touka called out to me.

"Me? ... I'm off"
 
 I was horrified at what kind of topic it was going to be and then stood up, told Asakura that I was going to go, and started running with Touka.

"Hey, Touka, what's your subject?"

 I asked,

"Senpai, we're being chased from behind, so let's hurry up a bit!"

 With that said, she takes my hand and runs without slowing down her momentum and finishes in the first place.

“Uhm, can I confirm the subject…?”

 A girl from the sports festival committee asks Touka with a look of fear.

"Yes, yes," Touka replied, showing the placard in her hand.
 
As I was praying that it wasn't a "tough-looking senior" or a "criminal-looking person," a girl from the sports festival committee looked at me and Touka alternately, and then said,

"Ah, "Someone you like". ...Ah, that is so, ok desu"

 She said.
 ... It was too cruel and heartless subject for anyone other than people like Touka and I who have "fake" lovers who are openly dating.

"Well, I was lucky. It was a very easy subject. ...Thank you for your cooperation, Yuuji-senpai."

 Touka smiled mischievously.

"O-Oh..."

 Indeed, it was an easy task for Touka, but for me, it was still somewhat embarrassing.



 Then the sports festival went on without incident for the rest of the morning.
 I didn't know because I didn't participate in the sports festival last year, but a lot of people seemed to be having a good time.

 Tanaka-senpai was more enthusiastic than usual, perhaps because it was his last sports festival, and Suzuki was cheering hard to see Tanaka-senpai like that.
 
 However, as expected, not everyone was enjoying the event. For example, Taketori-senpai looked quite listless as she participated in the event.

 As for me... well, I think I was enjoying it fairly well.


 When I was taking a break after having lunch, I was called out by Ike. 

"I'm sorry, Yuuji. The equipment for the afternoon competition is in front of the gymnasium storage room, so can you go get it? I'm kind of busy right now."

 As a matter of course, a request from Ike, who is helping the sports festival committee members,

"Hmm, oh. Leave it to me."

 I respond honestly.

 Although it was during lunch break, each of the sports festival committee members seemed busy, and of course, so did Ike.
 If it's a simple task that I can help with, no problem.

 With that in mind, I headed for the gym storage room at the back of the school building.


 Then I arrived near the gymnasium and looked for the tools that Ike had mentioned, but there I found several boys hanging out.

 I was thinking that if I came out suddenly, I would surely startle them,

"Tsukasa, that Yankee is too enthusiastic."

"Ah, Tomoki, right? It's a real turnoff."

"I wonder what that class is thinking, there's no way we can have fun at the sports festival with that Yankee."

"He's quiet in front of Ike, isn't he? If Ike says, the guys in class have to get along on the surface, don't they?"

"Ah, it's possible. Those guys must be having a hard time."

"I wouldn't be too happy to be put in charge by such a perfect superhuman. I'm sorry for them."

"Damn, it's because of those guys that the sports festival was seriously ruined."

 What a conversation I heard.

 ... If I, who am considered a villainous Yankee, enjoy the sports festival, it is no wonder that people think this way.
 I feel bad that I'm making them uncomfortable just because I'm having fun.

 ... But it doesn't feel good to hear bad things being said about Ike and even my classmates who are acting out of the goodness of their hearts.
 I tried to get in front of them to complain about one thing, but,



"...I can't ignore what you just said."


 I heard a cold voice that sent chills down my spine.
 Questioningly, the boys look at the source of the voice.

 So I took a look at the owner of the voice.

"May I ask for more details about your story?"

 The owner of that voice with a cold expression on her face.
 It was the vice-president of the student council, who fell in love with Ike, Tatsumiya Otome ―.