Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

25. Shyness


 I was a little surprised by Sennojo-san's statement about being my father, but thinking about it calmly, I am convinced that he could not say that he is the parent of Makiri-sensei.
 I guess on the spur of the moment he mentioned my name, which is probably the only student he knows at this school, but I wonder what he would have done if my parents and Kana had known each other.
 At that point, the lie would be exposed and he would end up being treated as just a suspicious (and still suspicious) person.

 In astonishment, I looked at Makiri-sensei who said "Ah, aah ......," her face was bright red, and tears were welling up around her eyes.
 It's not unreasonable, but it seems quite embarrassing.

"Ah, Yuuji-kun's father, I'm sorry to trouble you... Eh!? So you are Yuuji-kun's father!? Well, that ... Nice to meet you, my name is Hasaki Kana! Yuji-kun has always been a great help to me and, well, what can I say... I look forward to your continued support for many years to come!"

 Hearing Sennojo-san's words, Kana's face turns bright red and then she lowers her head.
 She seems to have believed his nonsense...

“Uhm, Makiri-sensei ... Shouldn’t we stop them?”

“If we stop them at the wrong time and she finds out he's my father... I'll have to take my father with my own hands...”

 Makiri-sensei was saying scary things in a firm voice.
 All I can do is pray that that doesn't happen.

"A-As expected, that person won't say any more crazy things, will he?"

"I hope so..."

 As if praying, Makiri-sensei mutters.
 Me and Makiri-sensei decided to listen to the conversation between Kana and Sennojo-san.

“It's a weird way of saying "for many years". It sounds as if you and Yuuji-kun are dating, doesn't it?”

 Sennojo-san immediately threw something crazy.
 He said something that could get complicated, and when I and Makiri-sensei were stunned,

"Th-That is... Indeed, it might be strange for his dad, who also knows Yuuji-kun's girlfriend, but..."

 Kana said, her shoulders slumping.
 Seeing that, Makiri-sensei next to me also had a sad expression on her face, which for some reason was hard to put into words.

“Even so, I'm not going to give up! I will not give up, surely, so that you will recognize me!"

 After that, Kana made a declaration to Sennojo-san.
 I'm happy for Kana's feelings, but I'm sorry that I can't respond to that.

 ... But most of all, I was very sad, because all I could think of was how sorry I was that you were making such a bold declaration to an old man who had nothing to do with it.

"Hou... That would be fun."

 After hearing Kana's declaration, Sennojo-san nodded in satisfaction.

"... Then I have to leave here because I have to compete. I will be back to introduce myself to you later!"

 Saying that, Kana turned her back on Sennojo-san and left.
 Sennojo-san looked at Kana's back and nodded with satisfaction.

"Tomoki-kun, I'm sorry, but would you mind if I had a quick word with the man and ask him to stop?"

 Makiri-sensei tapped me on the shoulder and said so in a lower voice than usual.
 I had no intention of objecting, so I nodded my head in silence and headed over to Sennojo-san.

“Hello, Sennojo-san.”

 When I approached him and called out to him, he turned around vigorously.

“Yuuji-kun!?”

 Sennojo-san, calling my name with his relaxed mouth, immediately coughed, "Ohon!" and his mouth tightened tightly.

"What a coincidence in a place like this. How have you been?"

 Sennojo-san replied with a 100% nonchalant air.
 It's not a coincidence or whatever, there is a sports festival at my high school here today.

"I am fine. Even so, why... No, I mean, why were you talking to Kana?"

 I was about to ask him why he was here, but I stopped.
 Because of course he came to check on Makiri-sensei.

"Yeah, there was a girl who was very enthusiastic about Yuuji-kun, and I wanted to talk to her. My intuition is not so far off. She seemed to have sensed your relationship with Chiaki, which you have been keeping hidden because she likes you so much.... Since you are so stubbornly secretive, even to me, you probably refrain from any behavior that would be revealed in school, but still, a maiden in love is not to be underestimated, is she..."

 “Umu,” Sennojo-san said while deeply nodding.
 There were so many points to be retorted, and I felt like I was going to lose my mind.

"But I'm not worried."

 Fu..., said Sennojo-san with a smile on his face.

“Because I believe in the two of you.... There is no way anyone can break the bond between two people who are much more firm than a stubborn heart like mine.”

 Wahaha, Sennojo-san laughs heartily.
 When I was wondering where to begin correcting his suddenly talkative words,

"I'm sorry to interrupt you. I just received a call from a staff member."

 Makiri-sensei, with a big smile on her face that I had never seen before, spoke to Sennojo-san.

"Mu, it's a coincidence to meet you in a place like this."

 Sennojo-san looked at Makiri-sensei and said somewhat happily.
 He was a father with too few patterns of deception.

"...What are you talking about? I'm just here to check on you after I received a report that you had made contact with a female student here, pretending to be Tomoki-kun's father."

 Makiri-sensei's tone of voice was harsh and cold, contrary to her expression.
 Only after she arrived here, Sennojo-san realized she was in a state of rage.

"Ah, ah. I see, it was indeed my bad for coming here without permission. I am sorry, Chiaki, it was my bad. But it doesn't mean that I was unrelated—"

"Could you please leave the grounds of this school immediately? We, too, are not comfortable with police action against a student's acquaintance."

 Makiri-sensei said so with a smile on her face.
 Sennojo-san had a very sad expression on his face,

"... I beg your pardon. Now that I have greeted my acquaintances, I shall leave."

 Saying that, he started walking totteringly.
 Makiri-sensei was still looking at his back with an expressionless face.
 But Sennojo-san's footsteps stopped.
 Then he turns around, looks at Makiri-sensei and opens his mouth.

"I only got a brief glimpse of the opening ceremony. I was relieved to see that you were doing well."

"... Dad"

 Hearing Sennojo-san's words, Makiri-sensei turned a dumbfounded expression on her face, but was still somewhat happy and muttered in a soft tone of voice.

 In the end, he was probably just worried about Makiri-sensei.
 When I think about it, I can't help but smile at the fact that he is crazy enough to sneak into the gymnasium under the guise of being my father.

"... So I shall leave this time. It's going to be hot today, both of you take care of yourselves."

 I chuckle a little at his teacher-like mannerisms.

"Usu"

 I responded with a few words and watched his back.
 After Sennojo-san left,

"Really, he is like an idiot..."

 Somewhat angry and embarrassed.
 Even so, Makiri-sensei muttered a little happily.

"Really, he's a doting parent"

 When I said it jokingly, Makiri-sensei blushed and stared at me,

"... Forget what you just saw. Okay, Tomoki-kun?"

 She said as if clinging to me.
 After I nodded at her words,

"I have some fun memories right away."

 I say in the brightest voice I can muster.

 After hearing my words, she became angry and confused, and then said,

"U-Uuwh... Please don't be so mean."

 She muttered a few words, looking as cute and embarrassed as if she were a little girl.

 Indeed, I may have been a little too mean, but — I thought that this Makiri father and daughter made the beginning of the sports festival fun.