Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 30, Teacher


"... That was kind of oddly long."

 After looking at me and Sennojo-san with a stern gaze after we got out of the bath, Makiri-sensei said.

"We were just talking man to man."

 Hmph, Sennojo-san turns away, his eyes flushing red.
 He then turns to Makiri-sensei and continues.

"Chiaki should go take a bath for the first time in a while."

"No, thank you"

"Don't need to be modest. Tomoki-kun, I will entertain you. Besides, if you want, you can stay at my house today."

 When Sennojo-san said this happily, Makiri-sensei let out one sigh and then said.

"It's getting late, and I'm going to take him home. I can't have Tomoki-kun being pushed around anymore for my own convenience."

 At Makiri-sensei's words, Sennojo-san looks somewhat forlorn and then says.

"...Surely, we shouldn't keep Tomoki-kun, who is still a student, late."

 At Sennojo-san's words, Makiri-sensei stands up.
 Then she smiles and then says.

"I'm glad I was able to talk to Dad today. ... Then I'm gonna go now."

"Fuhn. ... I'll see you off."

 Makiri-sensei laughs softly at Sennojo's words.
 Then the three of us went to the front door and Makiri-sensei and I got into the car.

"You two should come to visit again. ... You are always welcome."

"That is... I wonder?"

 Makiri-sensei answers in a troubled manner with a swimming gaze, while Sennojo-san smiles somewhat happily.
 He was definitely still misunderstood.

"And one more thing"

"What is it?"

 Looking somewhat tired, Sennojo-san turned his gentle gaze on Makiri-sensei, who asked back,

"...Congratulations. You're becoming the adult you've always wanted to be."

 He told Makiri-sensei in a surprisingly gentle tone of voice.
 What is he talking about?
 With this in mind, I looked at Makiri-sensei's profile, and she looked somewhat awkward.

"……Thank you"

 She mumbled quietly.

"Then I'm going home. See you, dad."

"Yeah, be careful. ... I'll see you again, Yuuji-kun."

 Sennojo-san smiles gently at me, while I smile wryly,

"Yes"

 I reply with a word. 
 Soon after, Makiri-sensei started the car and his figure was out of sight in no time.


 The inside of the car was silent for a while.
 From what Sennojo-san said earlier, Makiri-sensei looks somewhat awkward.
 I'm curious, so I ask her.

"A little while ago ... What does he mean by becoming the adult that Makiri-sensei wanted to be?"

 Instead of answering my question,

"I'm going to take a little detour."

 She said.
 I remained silent and nodded my head in affirmation.

 Then, after a few minutes of driving around, Makiri-sensei parks her car and gets out.
 I followed her.

 As I step out of the air-conditioned car, a heat-laden night breeze caresses my cheeks.
 Immediately, sweat oozes from my forehead.

"A detour... is it here? It's just a park, right?"

"Yes, that's right."

 While saying that, Makiri-sensei goes on.
 I walk after her.

 It was a small, compact park that could be seen anywhere and was not popular at all.
 Then, when we went all the way to the back, there was a fence.
 The park was apparently located on a hill, and from here one could look down on the cityscape.

"When I was a student, I used to come to this park alone."

 Leaning against the fence, Makiri-sensei said this nostalgically.

"...Do you come here to see this scenery?"

 She nods slowly at my words and then says.

"Yeah. ... I don't really like the view here, though."

"...Eh? You said you come here to see a view you don't like... What does that mean?"

 Not understanding the true meaning of Makiri-sensei's words, I was asking that question.
 With a forlorn expression on her face, she said.

"Looking down from this park and seeing the cityscape and the warm home light, I've always... so lonely."

 At her words, I see the scenery below.
 Family happiness must be there.

"I think I lived a well-to-do life. Still, I don't have any friends. ... The fact that my father doesn't come home until late and my mother is not there. ... It was hard for me and I was lonely"

 Makiri-sensei says while narrowing her eyes.
 I am sure that in her eyes, the lights of this cityscape are shining brightly.

"I still remember the pain and the loneliness. I'm sure I'll never forget it. ...So. I wanted to become an adult who can reach out to kids who are lonely and in pain just like me. That's why... I wanted to be a teacher."

 She then turns her gaze to me.
 With a very, very apologetic, weak smile.

"Tomoki-kun. You say that you have been "saved" by me. But I think that's not true. ... Because I selfishly overlapped my former self with you and reached out to you. ...... What I did was nothing but childish ego. Because that's how I felt saved. "

"……Ha?"

"...Disillusioned, aren't you?"

 Makiri-sensei says with a very anxious look on her face.
 After I thought about the meaning of her words...

"Regardless of the motive, it doesn't change the fact that I was saved by Makiri-sensei."

 Respond while being amazed.

"……Eh?"

 Makiri-sensei has a surprised expression on her face.
 I look at her, let out a sigh, and then say.

"To begin with, even after hearing what you just said, for me, Makiri-sensei is still kind enough to want to do for others what was never done to you... I thought you were a very wonderful person."

 Upon hearing my words, Makiri-sensei had a dumbfounded expression on her face.
 Maybe it is not being conveyed properly.
 With that in mind, I continue.

"To put it simply ... After all, Makiri-sensei is a teacher I'm proud of. Once again, I felt that way."

 It was embarrassing to tell her how I honestly felt, but...
 Still, I decided to give my word straight to Makiri-sensei, who even told me about her past.
 I don't know if my words would be any comfort, but still――.

 I wanted her to be proud.

 I ask how Makiri-sensei is feeling.
 She had a surprised expression, then turned over and looked down, her shoulders shaking, and then...

"...Thank you, Tomoki-kun"

 She muttered a few words, and ...... tears streamed from the corners of her eyes.

"...Are you crying?"

 I panicked and asked her, and for the first, she seemed to realize that she was shedding tears.

"Eh? ...Huh?"

 After reacting as if she couldn't believe she was shedding tears, she was overtly flustered.

"Eh? ...Why?"

 Once she realized it, she seemed unable to hold back her tears.
 Tears spill out of Makiri-sensei's eyes and don't stop.

 Then, abruptly, she pressed her forehead against my chest.

"Wai, what's wrong?"

 When I asked her, she answered, shaking her slender shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Tomoki-kun. ... Let me do this for a little while."

 Then she cried aloud.
 ... I guess she didn't want me to see her cry.

"'Kay"

 I replied shortly.
 I don't know how she feels right now
 But I am sure that these tears... are not flowing because of sadness.

 With that in mind, I lent my chest to her as she cried.







"...I'm sorry, Tomogi-kun. You just told me that you are proud of me, but I keep being so spoiled by you."

 After crying for a while, Makiri-sensei calmed down a little and said in a trembling voice, with her forehead pressed against my chest.

"That's fine. I'm the one who asked you to rely on me."

 As I answer, Makiri-sensei takes a deep breath and then says to me, in a voice that still trembles.

"Tomoki-kun's words made me very happy. I felt that I had not made a mistake."

 Then she raises her head.
 Her eyes were swollen with tears. Her cheeks were bright red.
 Then, as she gave me an upward glance, she continued.

"Thank you, Tomoki-kun"

 Seeing the carefree smile on her face, I was somewhat pleased to know that my words had reached her.




 Then we leave the park and return together to Makiri-sensei's car.
 The car started promptly after we boarded, but ...... again, the inside of the car was silent for a while.

 It's embarrassing because the two of us were clinging together just a few minutes ago.

"...You must be tired today, right? Sleep on your way home."

"No, I will accompany Makiri-sensei to keep you awake."

"...It's fine, just go ahead and sleep."

 ...... Apparently, it was much more embarrassing for Makiri-sensei who showed her tears.
 I nod my head in agreement in response to Makiri-sensei's stubborn order for me to sleep.

"Then, I'll take your word."

"Yeah. I'll wake you when we get there. So until then, ...... take your time and get some rest."

 Her gentle voice reached my ears as I closed my eyes.
 Apparently, I was more tired than I thought I was, and I soon fell asleep.



 How long had I been asleep?
 I open my eyelids.

 Makiri-sensei, looking flustered and turning her face away, came into my sight.
 Looking around through the window, I saw that she had stopped on the road near her apartment.

"...Maybe we just arrived?"

"...! Y-Yeah. Right! We just got here and I was about to wake you up, but then you just woke up and startled me."

 Responding to my question in a flustered manner, Makiri-sensei continues.

"Then, I'll take Tomoki-kun home, could you show me the way?"

"No, it's fine here. It's just a few minutes walk."

 After saying that, I unbuckle my seatbelt and get out of the car.

"S-So. Then be careful."

 I looked at Makiri-sensei, who said somewhat regretfully, and realized.
 It was too dark to notice earlier, but when illuminated by the interior light, Makiri-sensei's face had turned bright red.

"Your face is all red. Are you okay?"

 When I asked, Makiri-sensei hurriedly turned her face away.

"I-I am okay!"

"Are you tired of driving? Are you sure you're not pushing yourself too hard?"

"I'm not pushing myself, thank you. ... Don't worry so much. I know what caused it."

 For some reason, Makiri-sensei turned a resentful expression toward me and then said.
 I wasn't sure what she meant by that, but she certainly looked fine.

"...Well, I'll be off then. Sensei too, drive carefully."

 When I told Makiri-sensei in the driver's seat, she hesitated and then called out to me.

"Hey, Tomoki-kun. I will continue to rely on you. So..."

 After giving me a look as if she had made up her mind about something, she goes on to say. 

"You, too, should consult me about anything that troubles you. ...... okay?"

"Yes. ... I'm counting on you. Please continue to count on me."

 At my words, Makiri-sensei looked somewhat embarrassed and turned away with a pout.

 I know it's rude, but I thought the gesture was kind of childish and cute――.

"Then I'm going home. Good night, Tomoki-kun. ... Have a nice dream."

 The gap between her beautiful, adult-like smile and the gentle tone of her voice made my heart pound, unexpectedly――.