Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 29, Your Name


 Upon hearing Makiri-sensei's words, her father shushed.
 He squints at Makiri-sensei as if he were looking at something dazzling.
 Then he slowly opened his mouth, which had been tightly closed.

"... Good grief. There is no way I could introduce such a stupid girl to strangers without embarrassment. I will have to take responsibility and bow down to them..."

 Fuu, he exhaled shortly.
 Then the father continues.

"I don't know anything about stupid girls like you. ......Do what you want."

 The father said a harsh word, but his expression was ...... somehow, soft.

"Yes. I'll do that. ... Thank you, Dad."

 Although Makiri-sensei thanked him, he remained pouting and turned away.
 As if troubled, Makiri-sensei smiles wryly.

 Her father now looks at me.

"...Come to think of it, I haven't even introduced myself yet. My name is Makiri Sennojo. You may call me Sennojo. And you, Tomoki-kun. What is ...... your name? "

 I have no right to call him father, and calling him Makiri-san is also complicated because it might easily confuse him with sensei.
 I decided to take his word for it and call him Sennojo-san.

"Tomoki Yuuji"

"I see, Yuuji-kun. ...Humu, it's a good name."

 I was suddenly praised, and I replied with a single word, "Thanks".
 Then he nodded in satisfaction,

"It's a little early, but you two should go and have dinner. ......Takuma-san, you are there, aren't you?"

 As Sennojo-san said this, the sliding door opened and there was Takuma-san with a tray of tea.
 Looking flustered, she placed the tea on the table and then,

"Well then, I'm going to go prepare the dishes. I'll call you when it's ready, so please have a cup of tea."

 After saying this, she laughed dryly, ahahaha, and left.
 ...... After all that arguing, I thought, it would be awkward and I wouldn't normally be able to enter the room.
 I felt for Takuma-san's feelings.



 After Makiri-sensei gave Sennojo-san a report on her recent situation, I was bombarded with questions for an hour or so.
 I answered each time, but it was time to go.
 Can't the dinner be soon, I think, and just as I'm thinking that, the sliding door is knocked from the hallway.
 Then, Takuma-san, 

"Dinner is ready."

 She said.
 I honestly thank Takuma-san.

 As we moved around the room and faced the dining table, I was amazed at the sumptuous food.
 I wondered if it would take an hour or so to make it, but I guess she had prepared it for Makiri-sensei's return in the first place.
 Sennojo-san, you must have been looking forward to the return of your only daughter.

 Makiri-sensei and I sat next to each other, and Sennojo-san sat down in front of us.
 By the way, it seemed that Takuma-san had already left for the day.

"Then we shall have it."

 Having picked up his chopsticks, Sennojo-san says this and then reaches for his food.
 Me and Makiri-sensei also said "Itadakimasu" and then began to eat our food.

"Delicious!"

 They are all delicious and my chopsticks never stop.

"Yes, I must say, Takuma-san's cooking is delicious."

 It seems that Makiri-sensei, too, is pleased with the cooking of others for the first time in a long time.
 However, Sennojo-san has a sour look.
 I wondered what happened,

"Indeed, Takuma's cuisine is sure to be good, but ...... Chiaki's home-cooked food is as good as it gets."

 Suddenly derelicted,

"Indeed, all of the food cooked by Makiri-sensei was truly delicious."

 When I said that, Sennojo-san said,

"Humu, if you know it, then it's good."

 And nodded in satisfaction.

"D-Don't suddenly start saying weird things..."

 Makiri-sensei muttered unhappily, her cheeks reddening, perhaps embarrassed.

 As we enjoy Takuma-san's cooking, we occasionally engage in conversation. 

"By the way, Yuuji-kun. Would you be interested in a career in law?"

 Sennojo-san asks me.

"Hey, what are you talking about, dad?"

 Makiri-sensei asks in a flustered manner,

"I didn't ask you, Chiaki. Be quiet. ... So Yuuji-kun. There are not many young people in our office who can convey their words to others with such aplomb as you can. After you graduate from college, would you be interested in working in my office?"

 I had sensed this from the time I was being bombarded with questions earlier, but it seems that Sennojo-san has taken a liking to me.
 I'm relieved that he doesn't think I'm a cocky brat.  

"I'm still not familiar with the idea of a law-related one, but ...... I will consider it as an option."

"Yeah, that's fine for now. You're welcome to consider it as an option for your future career path."

 Sennojo-san says with satisfaction.

"Why are you talking about it so casually..."

 Next to me, Makiri-sensei was muttering with a bright red expression.
 Perhaps she didn't like the idea of a non-teaching parent interfering in her student's career path.




"Yuuji-kun, this is a good opportunity for you. You might as well take a bath."

 Sennojo-san said this as he looked warmly at me and Makiri-sensei as we cleaned up the dishes after we finished eating.

"Dad, considering I have to drive Tomoki-kun home, we can't stay that late."

"Isn't that fine? I just wanted him to see my pride and joy bathroom."

 Sennojo-san says, somewhat embarrassed.
 ...... You liked me that much, huh.

 I'll be glad.

"Then, I will accept your offer."

 At my words, Sennojo-san smiled happily, while Makiri-sensei let out a sigh of amazement.

 I borrowed a towel and headed to the bathroom.
 After undressing in the changing room, I entered the bathroom and was amazed.

"Ooh! It's a cypress bath ...!"

 The bathtub in the spacious Japanese-style bathroom is large enough for two or three adults to soak in at the same time.
 While being impressed that it is possible to set up such a thing at home, I first wash my hair in the shower.
 I was about to wash myself next when I heard the door being opened and I turned around.

 What was there――.











"How's that bathroom I'm so proud of?"

 It was Sennojo-san without a stitch of clothing on.
 Age-defying, lean and toned muscles without any flaccidity. 

"It's great. I like spacious baths, too, and this is the kind of thing I've always dreamed of."

 When I gave him my honest opinion, he nodded and smiled with satisfaction. 

"That's right. I do as much as I can to take care of this bathroom, and I rarely leave it to Takuma-san. Thanks to that, I can always enjoy a pleasant soak in the bath."

"... By the way, why did you come in here, Sennojo-san?"

"I thought I'd wash your back. Didn't like it?"

 Sennojo-san is somewhat hesitant to ask, but there is nothing that I don't like.

"Well then, I'll wash Sennojo-san's back too."

"Hahaa, I'm looking forward to it."

 Sennojo-san smiles pleasantly at my words.
 Immediately I decided to have him wash my back.

 He lathers soap on a body towel and scrubs my back with it.
 It's a comfortable strength.

"By the way, Yuuji-kun"

"What is it?"

"When did you start dating Chiaki?"

 …… Ah, I was relieved to hear that the arranged marriage talk was off the table, but come to think of it, he is still under the misunderstanding that me and Makiri-sensei are dating?
 I'll say clearly.

"No, me and Makiri-sensei are not lovers."

"Hahaha, that's a lousy lie. No teacher would take the trouble to take a mere student to his parents' home and introduce him to the parents who brought the arranged marriage proposal."

 It was too reasonable for me to say anything back.

"But surely it is something that must be hidden from the world. It is unfortunate that you won't even tell me, but I will interpret that you intend to hide it so thoroughly. But you will talk to me about it someday. I'm rooting for you. "

 In a slightly sad tone of voice, he said so.
 ...... The misunderstanding seemed to deepen, and I grew impatient.
 To me, he continues.

"I was a foolish parent――"

 The hand rubbing my back stopped.
 Sennojo-san muttered in a firm tone.

"When my wife passed away early, I am sure Chiaki was lonely. But she never said anything selfish and supported me, this clumsy person that I am. ... Without a doubt, I have made it this far because of Chiaki. Although it was hard when my wife passed away. Still, I was happy to have my family. "

 In a voice filled with tenderness, Sennojo said.

"... But I made a mistake. I cared for Chiaki so much that I imposed my own convenience on her. She is a simple-minded girl. I wanted her to have a happy family with the man I had chosen for her, rather than be easily deceived by a bad man and end up in misfortune. With this in mind, I proceeded with the arranged marriage without any regard to Chiaki's wishes. ... Even though she was already an adult who could take care of her own happiness"

 As if in penitence, Sennojo-san spoke.

"In the end, I'm just a foolish parent who can't even trust my own daughter."

 I hear him say that, rinse my back with hot water, and then get up.
 Then I took the body towel he had in his hand, and once I had rinsed it off, I lathered it up again.

"What are……"

 I scrub Sennojo-san's agitated back hard with a lathering body towel, and open my mouth.

"Before, Makiri-sensei told me. She said that Sennojo-san's back is the same size as mine."

 He remained silent at my words.

"But when I see it in person, I think it's a mistake."

"...Indeed, you have a much bigger back than I do."

 I said to Sennojo-san, who muttered to himself in self-mockery.

"I'm just a guy with a big body. It's a troubling mistake to put a kid like me against a father who has his daughter's life on his shoulders. ...To be honest, I'm not sure if I can become a man with such a big back"

 The size of the back in front of me makes me respect him.

"I am sure that Makiri-sensei understands how much Sennojo-san cherished her. I wanted to be a daughter that my father would be proud of, who raised me single-handedly and with all his might. That's what she told me."

 Using the shower, I rinse the foam off his back.
 His straight back is surely no different from the way he feels about his daughter. 

"Those words... Chiaki said it?"

 With a trembling voice, Sennojo-san asked for confirmation.
 I responded with a single word: "Yes."

"I see. ...... I see"

 After Sennojo-san muttered these words, he burst into uncontrollable tears, and sobs could be heard leaking out now and then.
 It was certainly a mistake for him to impose his own convenience on Makiri-sensei and not even try to listen to her.

 ―― But still, I'm sure.
 There was no mistaking that he cared for her.

 I thought as I watched his back as he shed tears.

"Yuuji-kun. She is my treasure! Still, I have faith that you can definitely make Chiaki happy."

 After saying this, he looks back at me and then bows his head.

"From now on, many difficulties will lie ahead of you. But please take good care of Chiaki. ...... If there is anything I can do, I will spare no effort to help you."

 ――Unfortunately.
 I realize that those sincere thoughts are a misunderstanding.

"It's really hard to say. We're not exactly lovers."

 Awkwardly, but I said so again, honestly.

"You are an appallingly stubborn man. ... You look a lot like me. I like you more and more."

 With a chuckle, Sennojo-san laughs and continues.

"I got it. You guys are not in a relationship. ... But still, let me say it again."

 Then, with a serious look at me, he tells me firmly.

"Take good care of Chiaki."


 Seeing Sennojo-san's bright expression――.

 Ah, this is definitely someone who doesn't get it.
 I was holding my head inwardly.