Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

22, Pile Up


"Yo"

 Hasaki was watching the semi-final match being played on the tennis court.
 I was able to spot her early on, as she was looking depressed at the edge of the venue and there were no people around her at all.
 I tried my best to speak casually to such Hasaki.

 Hasaki rolled her eyes in surprise at the sound of my voice.
 Apparently, she was so high up in the clouds that she didn't even know I had approached her.

"...Yo"

 Despite being confused, she replied.
 I was relieved that she did not make a blatantly disgusted face at me for coming back here on my own accord.

"I'll sit next to you"

 At my words, Hasaki gave a small nod, keeping her gaze on the court.
 When I sat down next to Hasaki, she didn't even look at me,

"I'm sorry even though you came to support me. I've been bad the whole time."

 She muttered apologetically, just as she had done earlier when we had parted.

"Don't worry about it. Everyone has a bad day. I am sorry too."

 After hearing my words, she turned her head to me and tilted her head questioningly,

"Why "I'm sorry"?"

 Hasaki asks.

"Because you asked me to leave you alone, but I came."

 When I say this, Hasaki seems to be laughing and crying.
 She had a complicated expression on her face, not being able to peek into her innermost thoughts.

"Worried about me?"

"Yeah, we're friends. Isn't that obvious?"

"Friend……"

 Hasaki muttered quietly.
 It was such a small voice that seemed to be drowned out by the wind at any moment.

"... I know it sounds like an excuse, but there's a reason I wasn't feeling well today."

 With self-mockery, Hasaki says.

"Reason?"

He nodded, "Yeah," and then,

"I'm heartbroken"

 Hasaki simply said so.
 I couldn't help but think,

"Heartbroken?"

 I asked back.

"Yes, a heartbreak. I had that person come to the tournament today to cheer on me. If I could only concentrate on tennis in front of him. I could have given up on him. .... Even if that person was not next to me. I would have tennis to play. I could have told myself that I would be fine."

 After lowering her eyelids, Hasaki continues.

"I really thought I could go back to our old relationship and be next to that person as a friend. ......But it didn't work. "

 A bitter smile on the lips of Hasaki.

"I couldn't concentrate on the game because I was concerned about him. I thought I had to blow it off, but I couldn't help but think of him in the corner of my mind."

 She looks sad and painful.
 Hasaki clasped her hands over her own chest as if in prayer.

"This is so disrespectful to my serious tennis opponents and to the people who support me.... So. I was a total loser today. Not one good thing about me."

 I was bewildered as I looked at Hasaki, who was smiling bitterly and helplessly.

 I knew that Hasaki liked Ike.
 In fact, from the words 'I was calling them for support' and 'I thought we could go back to our old relationship and be next to each other as friends', I am sure there is no mistake.

 However.
 It was surprising that Hasaki was dumped.
 I did not notice at all that Hasaki was dumped from Ike's situation.

"Hasaki... did you confess?"

"No, I didn't."

"Then what does it mean to have your heart broken?"

 At my inconsiderate words, Hasaki replied with a slight hint of annoyance.

"Because that person had a girlfriend. So, I am heartbroken."

 Hearing those words, I think again.

 ...... As far as I know, Ike is not supposed to have a girlfriend.
 And he is not showing any pretense of such.
 If Ike had a girlfriend, I would at least feel some discomfort too.
 But so far, that has not been the case at all.

 Perhaps, Hasaki is misunderstanding something and assumes that Ike has a girlfriend?
 ...... It is possible, of course, that I am simply unaware or uninformed.

 I was wondering what I should say to Hasaki, who was looking down, but I was not sure what to say... And I said.

"You don't have to force yourself to give up, do you?"

 At my words, Hasaki raises her face.

"Eh?"

 Then she turns to me with a dumbfounded look on her face.

"I don't think you have to give up without telling him how you feel."

"... Even if the answer is obvious? Even if it will only cause trouble for that person?"

 How can that be? I can see through the words of Hasaki, who seems to want to say so.
 But I shake my head.

 I don't think Ike would ever consider a goodwill from someone to be a bother.
 Whatever the situation, that guy would take your feelings head on and give you a serious reply.

 I think this is something that even his childhood friend, Hasaki, knows about.
 So I decided to talk about my experience, even though it had nothing to do with romance.

"People's feelings and perspectives can be changed. I was considered just a delinquent in school, but now I have someone I can call a friend besides Ike."

 It probably worked because of the help of Ike and Makiri-sensei, but still, by helping the student council, I was at least able to change my impression of Asakura.

"If you take action, something will change. Conversely, if you do nothing, nothing will happen. You can never change someone's feelings."

"If you take action ... it may change that person's feelings, right?"

 I nod.
 When put in the context of romance, a straightforward emotion may sway Ike's feelings.

"... But isn't it still wrong to take someone else's lover?"

 Hasaki is confused.

"If you confess fairly and honestly, and if he turns to you, and if the other party is willing to make a firm decision about the relationship he has had, then that's fine, isn't it? If their relationship is shaken up by someone else's confession, it will probably end eventually without you having to do anything about it in the first place, and there is no need to worry about it. So, there is no need to force yourself to give up, and if you want to succeed, why don't you confess as many times as you want until you can give up once and for all?"

 My level of interpersonal relationships, let alone love, is pretty low.
 So maybe I'm saying something quite off the mark.
 Still, I didn't want to see Hasaki do nothing and just continue to regret, I thought.
 So I say something that pushes her back.


"That. ...Tomoki-kun, you are surprisingly clever about romance. Also, I still think being too persistent is annoying."

 And Hasaki said to me with a slightly taken aback.
 Maybe I made a mistake somewhere in my choice of words...

"Y-You're right..."

 I reflected on my own thoughts and agreed with what Hasaki said.
 She saw my reaction and laughed in a troubled way.

 Then, after a thoughtful look, she opened her mouth.

"... Hey, Tomoki-kun. If I confess to the person I like, do you think it will go well?"

"I don't know"

 Ike surely does not hate Hasaki.
 Even when they are together, they are often laughing happily.

 That said, I don't know if Ike has romantic feelings for Hasaki or not.

"... It's irresponsible."

 Hasaki gives a reproachful look.

"That's right. ... Then, when Hasaki confessed and was rejected. I'll take responsibility for instigating it and I'll be there when you complain."

 As long as you confess, you can sort out your feelings and move on even if you are rejected.

 ―― It would not be that simple.
 Then I, as the one who had pushed her back, would like to take some responsibility for her failure. 

"Don't say it so casually, like you're taking responsibility..."

 However, Hasaki mumbled teasingly.

 Indeed, if you have the courage to confess your feelings and are rejected.
 How much complaining she does to me wouldn't distract her from her sadness.
 I should have realized that much right away.

"Sorry, even if l go along with the complaining, it's still not helping."

 Hearing my words, I don't know why, Hasaki let out a loud sigh and then dropped her shoulders.
 Then she puts on a fake smile and tells me in a cold tone of voice. 

"I've been aware of it since the beginning, but you don't understand my feelings at all, Tomoki-kun."

"Hmm?"

"Or rather, Tomoki-kun is really off the point."

"O-Oh?"

"I know it's pathetic, but I've been telling you all this in an attempt to be sarcastic, okay?"

"Is it so?"

 Sarcastic? 
 I had no idea what she was talking about.

 Seeing my confusion,

"Ah, mou~! Somehow, I feel like such an idiot for fretting about it!"

 As Hasaki also seemed bewildered, she said so.

"...I got it! I won't give up! I'll be honest with this feeling ... I don't care if the guy I like has a girlfriend! I will do everything in my power to appeal to the person I love so that he will turn to me!"

 This time, as if she had reopened her mind, Hasaki declared with a radiant expression on her face.
 Then she looked at me vigorously.

 Hasaki looks straight at me.

"Tomoki-kun, you pushed me. You can't tell me now that it's not a good idea to confess to someone who has a girlfriend, and that I should give up, okay!? No matter how many times I have to confess, Tomoki-kun is the only one who must not retract it, okay!!?"

 Hasaki speaks out vigorously.
 I'm overwhelmed by her.

"O-Oh... that's right."

 Looking at Hasaki now, I can't tell if my advice was helpful or just irritating.
 However, I was still painfully aware... that communication is difficult.

"Mou, don't be discouraged. I'm blown away by this!"

 As I slump my shoulders like that, Hasaki gives me a gentle look.

 Indeed, I think she looks much more refreshed than she did earlier when she was depressed.
 She was perhaps overexcited, though, and even had tears in the corners of her eyes.

"...Good, then."

 I muttered, and Hasaki nodded heavily.
 Then she opened her mouth.

"Yeah, thank you"

 Then she smiled and continued.








―― Thanks to Yuu-kun, I feel better








"――Eh?"


 I was unintentionally making a sound of dumbfounded.
 Right now, it should be just a mistake.

 But "Yuu-kun".

 ――Hasaki, who called me by a "nickname" that only my old friend used to use.
 Chestnut hair, a girlishly pretty face, and a crybaby's face.



"...Natsuo?"



 ――I don't know why, they were piled up all over.