Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

21, Defeat


 I went back to the venue with Touka.
 I quickly find Ike sitting in the same spot as before and sit next to him.

"You're late, something happened?"

 Ike asked this after he looked at me and Touka.
 Touka did not respond to Ike's question, but looked at Hasaki on the court.
 Apparently, she has no intention of having a conversation with her brother.

"No, nothing in particular"

 I answered him, taking Touka's intention into consideration.
 Hearing my answer, Ike mutters, "I see," and then grins.

"I'll just leave it at that"

 Hearing Ike's words, Touka muttered, "Shi*tty brother noisy ......" just barely loud enough for Ike to hear.
 She has been in a bad mood since she met with those two girls.

 I asked Ike, who was aloof without any pretense of concern, and I didn't bother to ask him either.

"How's the match going?"

"The game count was 5-3, Kana's service game. If she gets this game right, she can win."

 After Touka and I got up from our seats, I was a little surprised that one game was taken.

 Look at the scoreboard.
 Currently, Hasaki is leading 30-0.

 That Hasaki hit the serve.
 Her opponent managed to return a fastball that she couldn't react to from the outfield.
 However, it was only a perfect opportunity ball for Hasaki.
 If she hits that ball hard to the opposite side, her opponent can only look away from it.

 This was Hasaki's match point.

 When one more point will decide the game...

"Double fault!"

 Suddenly, Hasaki's serve was not as good as it should have been, and she lost two consecutive points due to double faults.
 Did she see the victory and got distracted?

 The score is now 40-30.
 One more point and it would be deuce. If that happens, the momentum will definitely go to the other player.
 If the next service game of the opponent is held, the game count will be 5-5.
 Needless to say, the advantage in the games to follow would be in the favor of the opponent, who had the momentum and Hasaki, who had turned the tide by his own mistake.

 Hasaki takes a deep breath and taps the ball a few times with her racket.

 Then, looking more serious than ever, she served.
 The first serve went in, but at a slower speed than before. Perhaps this was due to the emphasis on control.
 It would be a great opportunity for opponents who were accustomed to the speed of the serve earlier.
 With a hip swing, she hits the ball hard.
 The trajectory toward the backhand side of Hasaki's backhand, surely the best receiver in the match, just as I was thinking that.

 The ball hit by the opponent hit the white belt and went up just above the center of the court.

 Hasaki sees this and runs to the net as fast as she can.
 But the ball that hit the white belt was low.
 It is unlikely that she will ever be able to make it.






 Hasaki's racket did not reach it, and the ball landed on the court.






"Game set and match, won by Hasaki"

 And the referee declared Hasaki's victory.
 The ball hit the white belt and fell onto the opponent's court, scoring a point for Hasaki.

 The opponent looks frustrated but somewhat refreshed.
 Hasaki leaves the court with a blank expression on her face.

 It was almost impossible to tell who was really the winner.


"Do you think Hasaki is all right?"

"... I wonder"

 In response to my question, Ike answered anxiously.

 Hasaki's next match has begun.
 After the previous match, we talked to Hasaki, who had a dark expression,

『Sorry, I just have a lot of reflection on this game right now, and I need to make some adjustments.』

 That said, she hardly took the opponent seriously.
 We parted without further ado, and here we are.

"...Even if we on the outside worry, once you get on the court, you are alone. Even if we think about this and that, in the end all we can do is cheer for her."

 Touka calmly said so.
 Touka is a former tennis girl, and unlike me, who was on the edge of my seat, she was calm.

"Well, no matter how bad her condition ...... she won't lose to that one."

 The opponent that faced off against Hasaki was that pony-tailed girl who had been tangling with Touka.
 Even before the match began, her atmosphere was somewhat like giving up.

"There's no way that Hasaki-senpai would lose to such an unmotivated, lower-ranked opponent, even though she's in bad shape."

 Touka said, looking bored.
 She seemed to have no doubt that Hasaki would win.

 But every time I hear Touka's words, I think of the ill omen.

 ...... Could it be a losing flag? I think.




"Game Set and Match, Won by Hasaki"


 However, that was a groundless fear.
 It was a one-sided game played by Hasaki, showing an overwhelming difference in ability that had never been seen before.

 Oi oi, It's a blink of an eye.

 Perhaps because there was too much difference, the ponytail girls were half-crying.

"... Somehow, Kana's condition today seems to be unstable."

 Ike muttered worriedly.

"Looks like it"

 I reply.
 Then we head over to Hasaki, where the match is over.

 After meeting up with Hasaki, who is looking more tired than ever, Ike says.

"Congratulations, it was an overwhelming victory."

 Do they dare to mention the unwellness?
 Then I'll at least congratulate her on her victory.

"If you win next time, you're in the Best Four, it's awesome?"

 At our words,

"Thanks, both of you. But it wasn't amazing. Even like this, I'm still a potential winner."

 Despite her words, which could be taken as prideful, Hasaki is self-mocking.

"... Sorry, I may have been a bit sarcastic. I'm still not in the right frame of mind, so I'm going to go do a mental reset."

 Hasaki laughed weakly.
 Ike nodded and then,

"That's right. I don't want to interrupt your concentration, and we'll be in the audience cheering for Kana's victory."

"Just cheering for her might not be enough to help, though."

 To the words of me and Ike,

"No, that's not true. Your support is very encouraging. ... I'm really sorry for showing you all the uncool side of me when you came to cheer on me."

 Hasaki said as she turned to us.

"... No, I think Hasaki, who plays tennis seriously, is cool."

 After biting her teeth, Hasaki looked down somewhat apologetically.

"I'll do my best to show you how cool I am in the next match."

 After saying that, she walked away from us.

 I thought she was really cool, but for Hasaki, I guess she didn't play in a way that she was satisfied with.
 She's a pretty stoic girl.

"... I can't say it well, but it feels like it's going round in circles."

 Touka, who had not opened her mouth to say a word earlier, said this somewhat amazed after seeing off the back of Hasaki.

"You're right"

 Ike replies with a few words.
 I, too, agreed with them.

 In every match, Hasaki looks as if she is cornered.
 While I think that desperation is cool.

 I also wanted to see a more relaxed play.


 However.
 On that day, I could not see the play of Hasaki that I had hoped to see.

"Game set and match, won by Arizumi "

 The referee declared the name of Hasaki's opponent.
 The score is ... 6-0.

 Lying face down with her hands on her knees, Hasaki exhales roughly, as if in pain.
 From the spectator's seats, I could only see her profile, but even so, I could tell right away that she was frustrated.

 Her opponent, who had defeated the superior Hasaki, was pleased and was warmly greeted by many of her peers.


 ―― Thus.
 Hasaki Kana, who was even considered a candidate winner, was eliminated in the Best 8.




"Ahaha, sorry I lost without showing you anything good."

 Hasaki comes out of the court and we face each other again.
 Her expression was not cheerful at all, and she was smiling apologetically.
 ...... It was obvious that she was pushing herself too hard.
 I guess she must really be frustrated, but she is still acting strong because she is in front of us.

" This was my first time watching a tennis match and it was interesting. Let me come back to cheer on you again."

 I respond to Hasaki's words.
 Even though she lost, I thought Hasaki was awesome and cool.
 I wish I could convey that.

"... Yeah, I'll do my best to show you something cooler next time."

 From the look on her face, it seems she did not get the point across well. 

"What is Kana going to do after this?"

 Ike asks Hasaki.
 While turning her gaze down,

"After this, I will cool down and then watch the rest of the matches. ... So I'd like to be alone if possible."

 Hasaki muttered in a weak tone of voice. 

"I see. Well then, we're going home. Kana, be careful on your way home."

 Ike seemed to obey Hasaki's words and leave her alone.

"Yeah, I'll do that. Thank you for coming to support me today, Tomoki-kun and Touka-chan."

"Hmm... what about me?"

"I'm sorry. I forgot about it normally. Thanks, Haruma, too."

"I don't feel that I was given any thanks at all."

 Yare yare, he said, I look at Ike, who shrugged his shoulders and smiled a little innocently, just a little, like the usual Hasaki.

"Then we're going home "

"Yeah, bye bye"

 Hasaki said and waved a small hand in front of her chest.
 Ike and I raised our hands in response, and Touka gave a light bow.


 ―― Then we walked and arrived at the station.
 We talked very little on the way here.
 In each one of us, we probably thought about the state and condition of today's Hasaki.

 I remembered her helpless smile and asked the two of them near the ticket gate.

"Hey, is it okay to leave Hasaki like that?"

 At my words, they stopped and looked back.
 I've never been into sports, so I don't know how frustrating it is to lose.
 So, how does she really feel right now? I have no idea.

"... I think there are times when we want to be alone. It would not be surprising if that is the case for Kana now."

"I, too, want to be alone after losing a match. Especially in that situation."

"... I see. Considering the feelings of Hasaki, is it best to leave her alone, huh"

"That's ...... not always the case, though. Still, if Kana wants to be alone, I'm willing to respect that."

 At Ike's words, Touka nodded.
 If these two people, who unlike me are good communicators and have experience in the same sport, say so, then they must be right.

"I see. ...... Sorry, I asked a weird question. Well, I'm going to stop by the restroom and then I'll leave, so let's part ways here."

 At my words, Ike and Touka laughed somewhat amazed.
 I guess they realized what I'm about to do.
 And yet, they don't stop me. I am sure I can try doing it.

"I see, see you later."

"I'll contact you again, so make sure you answer me back, senpai."

 They smiled and said to me.
 Then I nodded once and turned around my heel. 


 ―― I think it's an unnecessary meddling.
 I knew in my head that leaving here was the right thing to do.

 But I'm still her friend.
 Even if it's just one word, let's be friends, and that's all there is to the relationship.
 To me, she's a precious friend.

 To be honest, I don't know what I can do.
 But I want to be there for my friend when she is going through a difficult time, even if I can't do anything to help her.

 With such self-satisfaction in my heart, I headed back on the road I had come ――.







[Conversation of a certain brother and sister]


"Does Touka think Yuuji would have gone home just like that?"

 At the platform of the station.
 A pair, a boy and a girl were waiting for the train.

 The two were so beautiful that everyone around them gazed at them, and there were whispers of envy.

"I don't"

 To the boy's words, the girl replies with a single word, somewhat displeased.

"I think so too. Yuuji definitely went to Hasaki. ...Don't you hate it from Touka's point of view that your boyfriend is trying to make a move for another girl?"

 The boy asked the girl, as if somewhat testing her.

"Of course I don't like it. I know senpai went there as a "friend" of Hasaki-senpai, but I still don't like what I don't like."

 The girl answered immediately with a sullen and distorted expression on her beautiful face, which everyone admired.

"But I also think it can't be helped. I love senpai for that kind of stupidity, but also for his bottomless good-naturedness, so I won't stop him. ...... can't stop him."

 The boy shows his white teeth when he sees the girl muttering sadly.

"Ha? What are you laughing at, creep?"

 The girl said harsh words.
 But still the boy, who did not break his smile, said to the girl in a gentle tone of voice.

"I'm glad that Yuuji became Touka's boyfriend."

 While expressing dissatisfaction, but giving a somewhat complicated look on her face.


"Senpai is my lover, that's got to be the best..."


 The girl responded to the boy's words with a red face.