Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

20, Lame


 Touka, changing from her grumpy expression, says in surprise.

"...Ahre!? How long have you been looking, senpai?"

"Since when, it was around the time the two girls you just talked to said, 'Introduce us to Ike,'...... so roughly two or three minutes ago. Anything before that, I don't know."

"That's right, you surprised me!"

 Touka shoots accusatory words in response to my answer.

"What surprised you?"

"It wasn't really about the brother's talk that made me uncomfortable, it was the story that happened before that. I thought you had just overheard that story ...... and I was surprised!"

"Is that so?"

 In response to my question, Touka nodded shyly and then said.

"Even if others see me as "Ike Haruma's sister," senpai sees me properly as "Ike Touka". I don't get angry over such trivial things anymore"

 After saying that, Touka looked straight at me.

"I see"

 If my words have solved the problems you have been feeling, then.
 I was very happy.

"Hmm? What was Touka upset about then?"

 When I ask.

"...Eh? Are you asking that, senpai?"

 Touka said, pulling back.

"If you don't want to tell me, I won't ask"

 Touka, upon hearing my words, slowly shook her head.
 Then she opens her mouth.

"That ponytail girl is probably going to be in the next match against Hasaki-senpai. Then I was listening to her. "Geniuses are disgusting, no matter how hard we try, we can't catch up with them. It's not fair. Don't you think so too, Touka-chan?" They said?"

 From the girl's point of view, it was probably just light chitchat.
 But for Touka, those words are.
 For Touka, who had talent, worked hard, and still never received recognition, this is something she can never forgive.

"It's not about talent. Why can't you realize that people who play sports just for fashion can't beat those who seriously devote everything to it? And so they talk behind each other's backs and lick each other's wounds among losers. ...... It's really lame."

 Scornfully, Touka spat the word out.
 Then she smiles helplessly and mutters.

"...If I say that, will you think I have a bad personality?"

 I nodded silently at Touka's words.
 Touka's eyelids were downcast a bit, and she scratched her cheek with her finger to cover it up.

"Indeed, your personality may not be good enough, I think. I quite like that part of Touka, though."

 When I say that, Touka looks at me.
 Our gazes met, and I saw astonishment in the depths of her eyes.
 Then, as if relieved and somewhat embarrassed, she muttered.

"A-Again, senpai immediately tries to seduce me like that. What a helpless senpai."

 Touka said teasingly.

"But me too. I don't deserve to say so much bad ...... about those two."

 Touka said so awkwardly this time.

"What does it mean?"

"I told you a little bit about what led me to distance myself from Hasaki-senpai. ...... that's pretty seriously pathetic?"

 Wait for Touka's continued words.

"... I have an inferiority complex with Hasaki-senpai. I'd like you to listen to this without laughing if possible, okay?"

 She looks at me and asks anxiously.

"... We could sit and talk"

 It doesn't seem like something to talk about while standing still.
 There was just an empty bench, so Touka and I sat down side by side.
 Touka opened her mouth somewhat after a pause.

"I played tennis from third to fifth grade. Of course, my brother played tennis, and I didn't want to lose, so that's why I started."

 While fidgeting with her fingertips, Touka continues.

"As a result, I started achieving results in various tournaments within a year of starting to play tennis. I was thinking that I would work even harder and make everyone recognize me as Ike Touka, and that's when ...... I heard that Hasaki-senpai had started playing tennis. "

 Touka speaks with a distant look in her eyes.
 I guess she is remembering that day.

"At first, Hasaki-senpai was so bad at it that ...... I really laughed at her. At that time we were still on good terms, so I taught her a lot.  Seeing that, I thought, "I can't lose, either," and started practicing."

 She turned her gaze down.
 Touka clenched her fists tightly.

"...Then, it was the last tournament in elementary school for Hasaki-senpai. Until now, I had never lost a single match to Hasaki-senpai, but that day ...... I lost to her for the first time. I couldn't even get a ......1 game. I was shocked, she started later than me, and she was even worse than me. ......The fact that she passed me so quickly. I was very, very frustrated."

 Her voice hardens, but she continues.

"But ...... Hasaki-senpai loves tennis and has worked hard and dedicatedly for every inch of her life. ...... That is why I thought it was no wonder that I lost. I couldn't think that I would work harder and not lose next time ...... so I accepted my defeat early."

 The expression on Touka's face seemed to reflect an emotion that was difficult to perceive.

"After that, I started to have a hard time meeting with Hasaki-senpai, so I started avoiding her, and I kept running away from her...... Which brings us to the present. How about it, senpai? Am I not super lame?"

 To Touka, who is mocking herself,

"That's lamer than I thought."

 I said.

"... Aha~. That's right, it's lame, right."

 Touka probably didn't expect me to follow up, but still, perhaps because my words were too straightforward, she turned her gaze down with tears in the corners of her eyes.

 Touka's slender figure looked even more fragile when she was downcast like this.

"... But the fact that you came like this to support Hasaki. You have no intention of running away now, right?"

 She raises her face at my question.
 Then, after looking me straight in the eye, she nodded once heavily.

"That's, right. ...And it's too lame for me to keep running away when I'm the only one who told Hasaki-senpai not to run away."

 What does it mean that Hasaki should not run away?
 I guess that's between the two of them, so I guess it's not my place to ask.

 Right now, I would like to praise Touka's determination.

"I think it's a good thing to face your lameness and try to get over it. It's definitely not uncool."

 After I said that, I put my hand on Touka's head.
 I was trying to cheer Touka up for her hard work...

"Fueh?"

 Touka lets out a bewildered voice.
 Her face turned red and she looked up at me.

 …… Oh no, I guess I got over-familiar?
 I reflect and quickly remove my hand from her head before standing up.

"Well then, it's time to get back to cheering for Hasaki"

 Touka stroked her head with both hands where I put my hand on before, and then,,

"Right, if we're alone any longer... And I'm afraid senpai is going to start seducing me again."

 Touka, her face bright red, said this with a pouting attitude.

 I knew that my earlier behavior toward Touka, it seems that I have offended Touka's mood.

 From now on, I must avoid unintentional skinship.
 With this in mind, I returned to the venue with Touka.