Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

20, Misunderstanding


 The sun was shining brilliantly.
 The heat of midsummer made me sweat a bit on my forehead.
 Without even wiping it away, I followed her on the court with my eyes intently as she chased the ball.

 Looking at the scoreboard, it's a match point.
 She hunts down her opponents with overwhelming strength, and without missing a sweet return ball, she smashes the ball as it is launched.
 That was the last shot, and it was a great victory.

"Game Set and match won by Hasaki"

 After catching her breath and shaking hands with her opponent for the last time, Kana smiled and then looked at me sitting in the audience.
 I felt like our eyes met.
 She pointed a peace sign at me, and I realized that it was not my imagination.
 I nodded and then responded with a thumbs up.

 ――Today, I'm here to support Kana, as I promised her before.
 Unlike last time, I'm here alone in this place.

『It's hard to concentrate when Yuuji-kun and Touka-chan are together』

 Once I was told, there was no way I could come with her.
 When I am thinking about that...

"Did you see it, Yuuji-kun?"

 Wiping her sweat off with a towel, Kana came to me in the audience after the game.

"Ou. Good work"

 When I answer, Kana smiles shyly and then asks me a question.

"Thanks. How was the match?"

"You're strong, Kana. That was really cool."

 When I said what I honestly thought, Kana breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm glad. I won't show you my pathetic side like I did the other day!"

"Ou, I'm looking forward to it."

 When I say that, Kana smiles in satisfaction and then glances up at me as if she's thought of something.

"Ah, and"

"What's wrong?"

"Yuuji-kun is cooler than me, isn't it?"

 Kana's words made me flustered.
 I can't help but feel embarrassed because I've never heard anyone other than Kana say such things.

"...No matter what you think, Kana's cooler."

"U~un, Yuuji-kun is cooler!"

 No, it's Kana.
 For sure it's Yuuji-kun!

 For some reason, we were getting stubborn, and as we were exchanging these words, Kana suddenly laughed.

"……What's the matter?"

 I ask fearfully, and Kana smiles then she says.

"No. It's a conversation that sounds like an idiot couple. That's what I thought..."

 Kana looks down, runs her fingertips through her bangs, and smiles shyly, "Ehehe".
 Certainly, I thought we were having a conversation like that, but I couldn't say anything back,

"...Do your best in the next match"

 The only thing I can do is ignore the flow of the conversation and say things like that.

"Yeah, I'll do my best. ...Watch me only, okay?"

 I couldn't help but nod at Kana's words as she said it with a big smile on her face――.


 After that, Kana continued to win at a breakneck pace and reached the final.
 Her opponent was a player that Kana had lost to in the last tournament.
 Still, Kana, not looking overwhelmed, takes on the match.

 And.......

"Game Set and match won by Hasaki"

 The referee announces that the match is over.
 Then Kana, on the court, made a small gut-punch pose.

 Kana defeated her opponent, who defeated her last time, and won the tournament.

 I gave her a generous round of applause as I watched her expression of carefree laughter.




 ――And the award ceremony is over.
 The sun had already set, but that didn't dampen the midsummer heat.

 In response to Kana's "request to talk", we sat next to each other on a bench in a quiet park, a short distance away from the tournament site.

 To Kana, who remains silent, I reiterate what I said before I came here.

"Once again, congratulations on your victory. You're amazing, Kana."

 Kana smiled at my words and then replied.

"Thank you. But I was able to win thanks to Yuuji-kun."

"What do you mean?"

"Thanks to Yuuji-kun, who left me out of the group and had a fun sleepover with Touka-chan. It was thanks to you that I was able to push myself to concentrate on tennis and not to think about anything unpleasant."

 While she was smiling, I noticed that the depths of Kana's eyes were not smiling.
 Kana and I are not dating.
 So there's no need for me to get worked up about it.

"O-Ou..."

 …… But it didn't change the fact that Kana was hurt.
 Without an apology, I can only respond vaguely.

"Fufu, I'm lying. Half of it was a joke."

"The other half is serious, huh?"

 When I slumped my shoulders, Kana chuckled and then said.

"I think it's true that it was thanks to Yuuji-kun. I've been able to get over my worries, and I've been able to concentrate on tennis and love. I'm working really hard."

"...It's a bit of a match pump, if I do say so."

"You're right, it's kind of funny coming from you."

 Kana says with a funny laugh.
 I couldn't laugh, my stomach hurt.

 After laughing for a while, Kana asked in an indulgent voice, as if begging.

"Summer vacation is still a long way off, right?"

"Yeah, that's right."

 Kana, who seems to have regained her composure, asks me a question.
 Of course, she was right, there was still about half of the summer vacation left.

"I also want to go play somewhere with Yuuji-kun."

 Kana glances up at me.
 I also want to have fun with my friend Kana, so that's not a problem at all.
 Which reminds me, I've been thinking,

"In that case, would you like to go to the hot springs next time?"

 I said so to Kana.
 One of these days, I will go to the hot spring that Kai had invited me to.
 I would have to talk to Touka, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for Kana and her to go to the hot spring together.

"……He?"

 I don't know why, Kana muttered with a dumbfounded expression.

"Are you not so interested in hot springs?"

"It's not that. ...Eh? Eh?"

 Kana's face turns bright red and she looks flustered.
 I inwardly started to feel on edge, wondering if I had said something strange...

"F-Fine! But, you know? Yuuji-kun has to break up with Touka-chan and have a proper relationship with me first, if not... Then no, okay?"

 Kana looks at me with a moist look.

"Eh?"

 ......What are you talking about?
 That's what I thought, and I let out a dumbfounded voice.

"B-Because! You mean a sleepover date at a hot spring inn for the two of us, right!?"

 When I heard Kana give me a reproachful look, I understood how she misunderstood me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't say it well enough. A kouhai named Kai invited me to go to the hot springs. Touka will come along, so I was hoping that Kana would come too."

"……He?"

 Kana who heard my explanation groaned in stunned silence.

"Thinking normally, inviting a girl to a hot spring is sexual harassment. ...... Sorry."

"W-Wait! If that's the case, I'll go! There's nothing wrong with that."

 Kana told me with a desperate look on her face,

"O-Ou. When we go, I'll ask about your schedule."

 When I replied, Kana looked at me with a sullen expression on her face.

"... Really, Yuuji-kun is a bad guy. You've embarrassed me, a girl so much."

 Kana says, turning her fiery gaze to me.
 I had guessed what she meant by the misunderstanding, and I was instantly aware of my face getting hot.

"……My bad"

"If you feel bad, why don't you show some sincerity?"

 Kana's cheeks turn bright red as she peers up at me, and then she closes her eyes.
 ...... It's called a kissing face.
 She's cute and normally makes me throb.

 But, of course, there was no way I could kiss her.
 Instead, I put my hand on Kana's head and stroked it gently.
 I did this to Makiri-sensei, so this should be no problem.

 I could feel Kana's eyes on me, but I was too embarrassed to make eye contact.
 While I turned away and stroked her head, Kana leaned her body against my chest.
 When I was surprised and my body tensed up, she said in a calm voice.


"It can't be helped, if you keep petting me until I say it's okay ―― I'll forgive you today."

"Please go easy on me "

 I answered and continued to stroke Kana's head.
 And then the slightest bit of calmness left in the corner of my head tells me.


 If Asakura or Makiri-sensei saw us here, it would be a disaster, I thought ――.