Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you


Chapter 19, No Good


 Makiri-sensei says to me, giving me a distant look.


"Tanaka-kun and Suzuki-san seem to be dating, and Tatsumiya-san seems to be happy just talking to Ike-kun. ...You and Ike-san have a very nice atmosphere. ...Everyone was enjoying youth too much!"


 Tanaka-senpai and Suzuki are dating after all, huh.

 With that in mind, I gave tsukkomi on Makiri-sensei's words.


"No, Makiri-sensei know that Fuyuka and I are 'fake' lovers, right?"


 Then, after giving me a suspicious look, Makiri-sensei said in a sulk.


"The two of you looked up at the night sky alone, leaned in close, and stroked her head, did you do that because she was your 'fake' lover?"


"Were you watching that?"


"...I saw it when I went to look for you two."


 We've been seen?

 When I think about it, I instantly feel embarrassed.


"Indeed, if you ask me, we might be doing something lover-like."


 When Makiri-sensei heard my words, she glared at me and then,


"I feel like I'm the lone single in the middle of three couples. Moreover, I'm the oldest. Uh..."


 After muttering this, she nuzzled her face into the stuffed animal in her arms.


"When I was in school, I rarely even talked to boys, let alone had skin-to-skin contact with them..."


"What was Makiri-sensei like when you were a student?"


 The conversation seemed to be drifting off topic, so I quickly asked.

 Then she showed a thoughtful look, and,


"...I don't want to say it. It's a secret."


 Pui, turning her head away, Makiri-sensei said so.

 Unfortunately, it seems that the conversation could not be diverted.


"And... even when I'm in such a ragged mental state, my father is talking to me about another omiai." 

(Note: formal marriage interview)


"Do you dislike omiai that much?"


 When I asked, Makiri-sensei looked down and slowly shook her head.


"It's not that I don't like omiai. There are many people who get married and build a happy family. But I..."


 Makiri-sensei looked as if she wasn't sure whether to say anything or not,


"Just once, I'd like to have a normal love-life."


 Makiri-sensei hugged the stuffed animal more tightly and muttered to herself.

 Then she smiles self-deprecatingly and asks me a question.


"Hey, Tomoki-kun. Do you think I'm miserable because I'm 23 years old and I've never had a relationship with a man?"


"No, I don't think"


 I try to answer in a soft voice.

 In these days of late marriages, it is not so unusual to have never been in a relationship in your early twenties.


"If you think I'm miserable... I wonder if you could pet my head like you did to Ike-san."


 She's not listening to me at all...

 You really are cute (no good) when you're drunk, aren't you, Makiri-sensei...


"I won't pet you because I don't think you're miserable?"


"I don't want you to think I'm miserable, but would you mind petting me."


 ...... It seems that she really wants to be petted.

 I guess she wants to do what she couldn't do in her youth.

 I can't help but understand that feeling.

 But would it be okay for me to take on such a big role?

 Despite my uneasiness, I let out a sigh when I saw Makiri-sensei looking at me with moist eyes.


"I understand"


 I answered and then stood up.

 Makiri-sensei sat on the edge of the bed, looking embarrassed.


"Thank you. Then you can sit here."


 Then, pon pon, patting the side of her hand and she urges me to sit there.

 ......The hurdle is high.


 I thought so, but I had no choice.

 I sit down next to Makiri-sensei and look at her.


 Makiri-sensei was looking up at me and giving me an enthusiastic look.

 She must be nervous and embarrassed.

 I'm embarrassed too.


"...Then, here I go."


 When I say that, Makiri-sensei closes her eyes tightly and turns her gaze down.

 I gently placed my hand on Makiri-sensei's head.

 Jolted, her shoulders bounced once.

 I was kind of embarrassed by that, but I continued to stroke her head.


 I combed her hair with my fingertips, which was pleasant to the touch, showing that it was well cared for.

 I guess it wasn't just the alcohol that made Makiri-sensei's face turn bright red.

 My face was hot, too.


 ...... Rather, Makiri-sensei smells really good.


"That's done. Are you satisfied?"


 I decide to end it at a random moment and then declare so.

 Because it seemed like I would be stroking her hair forever.


 Hearing these words, Makiri-sensei lay down on the bed, still holding the stuffed animal.

 And then,


"...Yes, I'm satisfied. Thank you, Tomoki-kun."


 She said, without looking at me.


"That's good to hear."


 I replied, but there was no answer.

 What happened? When I thought so, I heard Makiri-sensei's sleeping breath.

 After all, she must have been very drunk.


 I look at her sleeping face and then pull the blanket over her.

 After doing so, I suddenly realized... that it was time for me to go home.


 The key, where is it?

 ...... It was not a good idea to leave the door of a single woman's room open.

 I thought it might be a good idea to wake her up and ask her where the key was, but ... She was pretty drunk again, and I was still worried that an accident might happen.


 Haa, after letting out one sigh, I look at the sleeping face of Makiri-sensei, who seems to be sleeping comfortably, and think.


 ――Tomorrow, I will give her a sermon.


 I said.




 The next morning.

 As soon as she woke up, Makiri-sensei, who was holding back a headache and frowning, turned pale after seeing me.

 Then she got up from the bed and bowed her head quickly and deeply.


"I am sorry"


 After receiving her apology, I stand up.

 And then standing on the ground with my arms crossed.


"Do you have an excuse?"


 I ask.


"There is nothing"


 After raising her head, Makiri-sensei answered, covering her face with her hands.

 Her voice was trembling.


 The fact that she could get so drunk and not lose her memory might be worse than I thought.

 ...That doesn't change the fact that I have to give a sermon.

 After letting out a single sigh, I gave instructions to Makiri-sensei.


"There are many things I want to say. But there is one thing I want you to keep in mind."


 A nervous-looking Makiri-sensei nodded at my words.


"From now on, before you run off to drink, please complain to me."


 I tell Makiri-sensei this in amazement.

 Then she asked me, looking confused and listening to my expression.


"...Wouldn't that be a bother?"


"Don't you think it's a little late for that?"


 I say the obvious.


"...I have no words to return."


 Makiri-sensei dropped her head at my words.

 Then Makiri-sensei gives me a somewhat guilty look before telling me.


"What a pathetic story."


 It's true.

 I resisted the urge to say so, and listened to what Makiri-sensei had to say.


"Even though I'm a teacher and you're my student. ...I'm just trying to take advantage of your kindness."


 With a sad expression, Makiri-sensei said in a trembling voice.

 When she's sober, Makiri-sensei is a beautiful older woman.

 When she says that with such a graceful attitude... Makes me fluttered.


"To be relied upon by Makiri-sensei. ...I don't hate it."


 Hearing my words, Makiri-sensei looked embarrassed and looked down.

 Then, after giving me a lovely smile,


"Yes. Please let me continue to rely on you.... okay, Tomoki-sensei?"



 She said in a somewhat mischievous, playful tone of voice.


 …… Apparently, Makiri-sensei has taken a liking to 'Tomoki-sensei' in earnest.

 As I watched her smile, I chuckled to myself.