Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 13, Duet


 After bowling, we moved to the next floor to get a drink at the drink bar and then entered the karaoke room.

"Ye~s, senpai sit next to me! Aniki, sit in the front. Hasaki-senpai, why don't you go outside the room and do some muscle training?"

 As soon as we entered the room, Touka immediately gave us instructions, but ...... Hasaki was treated badly.

"Then I'll be on Yuuji-kun's lap!"

"Eh, what are you talking about? I'm not going to let that happen, though"

 Leaving the two heated people alone, I sat down next to Ike.

"Are you sure it's okay to sit next to me, ladykiller?

 Ike says in a teasing tone.
 His profile is quite elegant, and I'm about to retort him ‘don’t want to be told by you’.

"By the way, how does this thing operate?"

 When Ike is teaching me how to operate the touch screen remote control...

"Yuuji-senpai will sit next to me! Okay!?"

"I will be on Yuuji's lap, right?"

 At the same time, Kana and Touka asked me a question.

"I'll sit next to Ike, and I don't want Kana on my lap. You two can sit side by side on that side."

 I point to the couch on the other side.
 Touka and Kana hear my words and look at Ike next to me, and they have despair expressions on their faces.

 Then they sat down on the other side of the sofa as they were told and hung their heads.

"They don't listen to me at all, but then again, they both obediently listen to the man they love."

 Again, Ike says in a teasing manner.
 He's this guy, and he's having fun.

"For now, I'll put in a song."

 Then Ike put in a song.
 Music plays from the karaoke machine and the lyrics appear on the screen.

 It's a song by a popular singer-songwriter. Even I know it.
 I wasn't sure about the song selection, but I guess I should include a song that everyone would enjoy.
 With that in mind, I did the same, and put in a song that everyone would know.

 Then Ike started singing.
 Crystal clear voice. Perfect pitch and sense of rhythm.
 Ike, the perfect superhuman, was also perfect at karaoke.

 Perhaps if the fans of Ike, including Tatsumiya, heard it, they would swoon at how handsome he was.

 However, the girls...

"The guy who sings this song, I see him on TV sometimes and he seems like a narcissist."

 His childhood friend, Kana, said this without a care in the world, while Touka was silently playing with her phone.

 You two, change with Tatsumiya, that position...!
 I was so frustrated that I sobbed in my heart.

"As expected of Ike. You're really good."

 I said to Ike as he finished his song,

"The two over there didn't seem to like it, though."

 After answering that, he handed me the microphone.
 As soon as I received it, the song started playing.

"Ah, I really like this song!"

"Senpai has good taste! So cool ~ ♡"

 Then, suddenly, Touka and Kana praised me with all their might.

 It was just plain awkward.

 Even after I started to sing, they started clapping their hands to liven things up.

 ...... It's really embarrassing.

 As I finished the song, enduring the embarrassment,

"Wah, Yuuji-kun is so good!"

"Senpai is wonderful! I've fallen in love with you all over again ♡"

 Two people trying to make me fall in love with them say that to me.

"O-Oh"

 When I answered that, the song started playing again.

"Ah, that's the song I put in!"

 The song that Touka put in was a cheerful love song by a popular female singer.
 She has a lovely tone of voice and perfect singing technique.
 I listened to Touka's singing voice.

"...How was it, senpai?"

 After finishing the song, Touka asks me.

"You're so good. I was listening."

 When I said that, Touka looked embarrassed

"I'm glad"

 She said with a relieved look.

"Touka-chan's song selection is too blatant"

 Kana said with a smile on her face, "Ha~a? Annoying" Touka replies with a smile on her face as well. It's scary.

"I'll sing next, I want Yuuji-kun to listen!"

 And then, after saying something very suggestive, Kana began to sing.
 A ballad song by a female idol group. It is a love song sung in a quiet way.

 She is not as good as Touka, but I thought it might be ...... possible for the usually cheerful Kana to sing this kind of ballad.

"How was it, Yuuji-kun? ...Did it make you flutter?"

 After finishing the song, Kana turns to me and asks.
 …… To be honest, I was fluttered to see the gap between Kana singing and her normal self. 

"Ah, thank goodness."

 When I answered, Kana smiled shyly.

"I'm happy……"

 When Touka heard that,

"It was the perfect song for Hasaki-senpai."

 She said, surprisingly favorably.

"I-Is that so?"

"Yes, it's perfect for Hasaki-senpai, a girl who is as heavy as the lyrics."

 Kana is annoyed by Touka's words.
 Bachi Bachi, sparks flying between them,

"I'm going to the drink bar, do you two want something?"

 Ike asks in a friendly manner.

""Go get me a cup of black tea!""

 The two of them responded at the same time.
 I'm sure it's not impossible for one person to carry drinks for three people, and it does seem a bit difficult.

"I will help you too"

"Is that so? It helps."

 With that in mind, I walked out of the room with Ike.

 There was no one else at the drink bar counter.

 I set my cup in the machine and waited for the coffee to brew,

"Thank you, Yuuji"

 Ike said.

"Don't worry. If it's the two people, it'll be quick."

 I said, and Ike laughed strangely.

"...Did I say something strange?"

 When I asked this question, Ike turned to look at me and a calm expression appeared on his face.

"Yeah. That's not what I meant."

"Then what were you talking about? You don't owe me a thank you."

"It's about Touka and Kana."

"Ha?"

 I respond to Ike's words in a dumbfounded manner.
 I couldn't quite grasp what he was talking about.

"...It's been a long time since I've seen Touka smile so brightly like that. Until now, she's always been smiling with a cold face, just trying to keep up appearances. ......Touka has changed, Yuuji. It was after she started dating you."

 After saying that, Ike smiled.
 I couldn't respond well to Ike's straightforward words.

"Kana is the same. Even though she was acting cheerful, she had something inside her heart that she couldn't even talk to me about. Maybe the current situation is just a reopening of the door. But even so, she seems to be smiling from the bottom of her heart"

 After taking a breath, Ike continued.

"Until we went to middle school, the three of us used to hang out together. However, Touka became distressed and Kana became troubled with her feelings. The three of us naturally stopped getting together. ......Even though I noticed it, there was nothing I could do about it. When it came to Touka...... all I could do was push him over the edge. .... Because of that, I'm sure we'll never be able to go back to the relationship we had back then, I'd selfishly given up. "

But――

 Ike said, with a faraway look in his eyes.

"The two of them were getting along well together, and kept making fun of each other. That reminded me of the exchange we had back then... I'm happy."

 I was shocked that Ike was being treated so badly, but apparently that's exactly what he wanted.

"...On the day of the study group, you said that me, you and Touka would go out together, right? I was really happy about that. I thought that Yuuji might be able to do what I could not. If we open the lid, the four of us, including Kana, can be together.... So, thank you very much, Yuuji."

 Ike, smiling gently and peacefully, said to me.
 Before I knew it, the brewing process was over, and I looked down at the cup of coffee that had been filled.

"...I knew I didn't deserve to be thanked."

 Indeed, I may have been able to help improve the relationship between Ike and Touka.
 But I haven't done anything about Kana.
 I was just a trigger.
 So why, can I accept the thanks from Ike?

 What's more, the favor I received from Ike is... something I can never repay.
 So, I'm honestly happy to hear you say that.
 Still, I can't accept it.
 That's what I thought.  

"...Aren't you trying to look cool too much?"

"Shut up"

 I was embarrassed to hear Ike's teasing words, but I said something back.
 ...... A friend character (Me) can't line up next to the Protagonist (Ike) unless he or she is a little cool.

 Ike chuckles at my words.
 He then says, with a serious expression on his face.

"...I'm not really worried, but there is one thing.... Touka is a matter of course, but Kana also is like a little sister to me. So, I don't know how the relationship between Yuuji and them will change in the future.... But you have to be faithful. "

 I nodded as I met his straightforward gaze. 

"……Yeah"

 There's no doubt that those two are important people to me as well.
 So I don't want to hurt them.

 Perhaps satisfied with my answer, Ike put on his usual bright, fresh, handsome smile and then said.

"I'm glad to hear you say that. Well, I guess we'd better get back to the room?"

 I nodded silently at Ike's words.


 After quickly pouring a glass of tea for Touka, I went back to the room with Ike――.

""Ah""

 There was a rather shocking sight.

 To my surprise, Touka and Kana were playing a duet together.
 Ike and I looked at each other.

"They're getting along, the two of them"

 When I said that, both of their faces turned bright red, and then they turned over in a strangely awkward way,

"This is because the talk about I wanted to do a duet with Yuuji-kun!"

"We decided to actually sing and judge which one of us was more suitable to be Yuuji-senpai's partner!?"

 The two of them hurried to explain.
 Ike and I put our glasses on the table and then sat down on the couch for now.
 They seemed to be enjoying singing, though.
 As I listened to them still explaining, Ike, who was sitting next to me, shook his shoulders and said.

"No, both of you. If that's the reason, you don't need to do another duet."

 Ike's words, whose true meaning I could not measure,

"Ha? What are you talking about?"

"What do you mean, Haruma?"

 They have dubious expressions on their faces.

"It's simple.... Yuuji is going to play a duet with me!"

 After saying that, Ike puts his hand on my shoulder.
 Seeing that, Touka and Kana were indignant.

"Haa!? I don't know what that means!?"

"Right right, it's impossible, that's it!"

"I suppose it's up to Yuuji to decide if it's impossible or not?"

 Ike asked me for my consent.
 A well-defined face closes in on me.
 If he did this to the fans of Ike, including Ryugu, they would probably swoon at how handsome he was.
 ...Unfortunately, I'm a man.

"Oh, let's sing together then"

 I was neither fascinated nor stunned, so I answered Ike.

"What is that, it's just impossible!?"

"That's not fair, you idiot Haruma!"

 Ike, who had selected a duet song by a group of men while brushing aside their protests with a refreshing smile, said with a pleasant smile as he handed the microphone to me.

"That's none of my business, is it, buddy?"

 I took the microphone from Ike,

"Yeah"

 Nodding my head, I sang enthusiastically with Ike in front of Touka and Kana, who had resentful expressions on their faces.