Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 14, Thanking


 It was a Friday night, just after the summer vacation started.

 While reading a romantic comedy manga on my smartphone, 3〇 Tenka Dai-ichi! While I was thinking about it, the screen suddenly switched and announced an incoming call.

 I checked to see who it was, and it was Makiri-sensei.
 I tap the screen and answer the call.

"Hello, is it correct this is Tomoki-kun's phone?"

"Yes, it is."

"I'm glad. Good evening, Tomoki-kun. This is Makiri. Do you have a minute now?"

 What is the matter? While thinking so,

"It's okay. What is it?"

 I replied.
 Then, Makiri-sensei took one breath on the phone, and then,

"I just wanted to thank you for the other day. If you don't have any plans, could you come to my house tomorrow?"

 She said.
 I was surprised at the sudden invitation.

"... Is it okay?"

 Isn't that bad in various mean?
 I thought, asking myself,

"Yes. I'm off tomorrow, so can I ask you to come over in the evening? I'll have the food ready and waiting for you."

"...Got it"

"By the way, is there any food you don't like?"

"No, not particularly"

 In response to my answer, Makiri-sensei muttered, "That's so" and then,

"Then, see you tomorrow. I'll be waiting."

 After saying that, Makiri-sensei hung up the phone.

 I know it's not a good idea for a student to go to a teacher's apartment, but since Makiri-sensei herself said to come, am I worrying too much?

 ......Well, it's definitely trivial compared to getting drunk in front of your student and dragging him to bed.

 With that in mind, I made up my mind once again to go to Makiri-sensei's house.


 And the next day in the evening.
 When I arrived at the apartment where Makiri-sensei lived, I rang the intercom.

 Then there was an immediate response from the speaker.

"You can come in now"

 After those words, the automatic door opens.
 Proceeding through the entrance, I took the elevator to Makiri-sensei's room.

 And now, I ring the intercom in the room.
 After a short wait, Makiri-sensei immediately opens the door and appears.

"Welcome. Please come in."

 Although Makiri-sensei usually wears make-up within the proper business etiquette, I wondered if it was because it was her day off?
 With lighter makeup than usual, she looked a little younger.

 ...... It's not just because of the makeup.
 Due to the fact that she was dressed quite roughly in denim shorts and a T-shirt, she looked much younger than she usually does.

"...Staring at me, what is it?"

 Makiri-sensei stares at me with half-lidded eyes.

"It was unusual for me to see Makiri-sensei, who was always dressed so neatly, in casual clothes."

 I said, and after letting out a sigh of stunned, Makiri-sensei said.

"Just come on in."

 And so, as I was urged, I entered the room.

"Excuse me"

 I took off my shoes at the entrance and then entered the room.
 As usual, it's a neat and tidy room.
 At the same time, a delicious, appetizing smell tickled my nostrils.

"Please, have a seat. I have to get ready, so I'll be in the kitchen for a bit."

"Yes"

 I responded with a single word and sat down on the cushion in front of the table as requested.
 Then ... I noticed something strange for the first time.

"It's so hot outside. I'll get you a cup of tea, and you can drink it at your leisure."

 Then, Makiri-sensei brought me a cup of tea and a mug.
 I ask her after receiving the mug.

"Thanks... By the way... Did you put the stuffed animals away?"

 Makiri-sensei looks flustered at my words.
 When I came to this room before, there was a stuffed animal on the bed, but now there was no figure or shadow of it.

"S-Stuffed animal? What are you talking about? I have no idea what that means...?"

 Makiri-sensei was feigning ignorance, but her eyes swam unnaturally and focused on one point very frequently.
 ... I see. She shoved it in the closet.

"...It's girl's hobby, you don't have to hide it?"

"I-I didn't do that. ....There's no point in making up in front of you now, right?"

"Right. The other day, you showed me unbelievable behavior."

 When I said that, Makiri-sensei was plainly depressed.
 Then, with a sullen look on her face,

"I-I said... I don't have a girl's hobby to hide."

 With her eyes swimming, Makiri-sensei said in a strong voice.

"...I'll take it that way."

 When I say that, Makiri-sensei, with a disgruntled expression on her face, says as she heads for the kitchen to escape.

"Then, I'll serve the food, so wait a moment."

"Please"

 I can hear the sounds of work being done, dishes being served.
 I tell Makiri-sensei.

"I will help you with the serving."

"Thank you. But it's fine. Take your time."

 Makiri-sensei replied.
 After waiting for a while, Makiri-sensei brought in the food from the kitchen.

 ...... Wearing a very cute apron with frills on it.
 A girl's hobby that can't be hidden. If anything, there's not even a hint of a desire to hide it.
 Makiri-sensei, even though you hid the stuffed animal... but this not.
 You're missing at the last turn. I couldn't help but frown.

"You look weird. What's wrong?"

"...N-Nothing."

 I replied, unable to look directly at Makiri-sensei, who was wearing a cute apron.
 Makiri-sensei tilted her head curiously, then regained her composure and laid out the dishes on the table.

 And in no time at all, I had an array of side dishes that I found very appealing as a high school boy.

"There's another serving. Go ahead, have some."

 Then Makiri-sensei sat down in front of me, offering me a large bowl of rice like some Japanese folk tale.

"It looks delicious. I'll take it without reservation then."

 I took the bowl and muttered "Itadakimasu" before reaching for the side dishes.
 Meat, fish, vegetables, and a variety of other colorful dishes are available for the palate...

"It's delicious ... !!"

 I was impressed.
 It's insanely delicious.
 Makiri-sensei is too good at cooking.

 I fell silent, and then proceeded to eat like crazy.
 Makiri-sensei was giving me a gentle look at such me ――.



 And in no time at all, I had devoured Makiri-sensei's home-cooked meal.

"Thank you for the meal. ....It was really good."

"I'm so glad you enjoyed it. ...... It was worth making it when you said it tasted this good."

 Makiri-sensei said with a calm expression.
 Then she got up to put away the dishes.

"I'll help you clean up"

"Don't worry about it. Just sit down."

"It can't be like that. I can't leave it to you to clean up after you've given me a good meal."

 When I said that, Makiri-sensei chuckled, and then,

"Tomoki-kun will surely be a good husband in the future."

 She said in a teasing tone.
 The words were so straightforward that I was at a loss as to what to say in response...

"That aside... Got it. Then maybe you can help me clean up?"

 I nodded at her and took the dishes to the sink.
 Then, I lined up in front of the sink with Makiri-sensei to wash the dishes.

 I wash the dishes, Makiri-sensei wipes them and puts them away on the shelf.

 For a while, I did so without question, but then I suddenly became calm.

 When a beautiful older woman invites you to her home, serves you a home-cooked meal, and then washes the dishes side by side like this...... isn't this just like lovers?
 At the very least, there should be very few people doing this in a mere teacher-student relationship.

 When I realized that, I felt nervous inside.
 ...... It was only then that I felt her shoulders touch mine.

"Hya!"

 I heard Makiri-sensei's surprised voice, and I quickly backed away.
 ...... I looked over and saw that Makiri-sensei had stepped aside as well.

 In silence, our gazes meet.
 Only the sound of water flowing from the faucet reached my ears.

"... Your face looks red, are you okay?"

 Said Makiri-sensei, her cheeks still red, but with a relaxed expression on her face.
 I had thought that the mature Makiri-sensei would think nothing of being with a student like me, but...
 That reminds me, Makiri-sensei was ...... that.

 I was embarrassed, and I was trying to cover it up,

"Makiri -sensei's apron ... it's really cute."

 I said so.
 Then Makiri-sensei looked astonished and her face became even redder.

"I-Is it really that cute!?"

 She said impatiently.
 …… Maybe that is still a pretty moderate design in Makiri-sensei's opinion.

 Noticing that, it made me flustered all over again.
 And we end up washing the dishes in silence.

 Surprisingly, it's not too uncomfortable, I thought.




"Thank you for your time today"

 The sun was already starting to set, and even though it was summer, it was starting to get dark.

"No, I don't mind. ...When people say it's delicious, it's worth making."

 Makiri-sensei said, somewhat embarrassed.

"Then that's good. I'll be going home now."

 I said goodbye to Makiri-sensei at the entrance.
 She nodded, then,

"Yes. See you next time, Tomoki-sensei?"

 Said Makiri-sensei in a teasing tone of voice.
 Or rather, I was wondering what I should say to her, when she said that there would be another opportunity.

"...Do you like it?"

 I gave a light retort.
 At my words, Makiri-sensei smiled so beautifully that I couldn't help but admire her, and then nodded her head.

"Yes. Surprisingly, it feels right."

"... I see"

 I replied in a dumbfounded manner.
 Then I left the room with Makiri-sensei seeing me off.


 On the way home.
 I think about the fact that Makiri-sensei calls me "Tomoki-sensei" so happily.

 Honestly speaking, I myself was troubled by the fact that I was "surprisingly comfortable with it".