Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

2, Promise


 One day lunch break.
 As usual, she appeared in the classroom where I was having lunch with a group of good friends huddled around a desk.

"Yuuji-senpai, let's have lunch together ♡"

 The one who said so with a sweet voice was Ike Touka, a pretty girl who looks like a gal and is my lover.
 ...... Or, more accurately, a "fake" lover.

 When she called my name, all of my classmates' eyes turned to me at once.
 And when I responded to their gaze, they all looked away at the same time.

 This stuff is more than just tendon. (Note: repeating the same gag or silly line)
 ...... No, after almost a month of this reaction, I'm starting to wonder if it's time for me to respond in some interesting way.

 I guess it doesn't work that way, I thought to my classmates, and got up from my seat to go to the door where Touka was.

 At that time, I noticed that one person's eyes were directed at me.
 The one staring at me with a grudge is Hasaki Kana.
 She thinks I'm a delinquent, so she's probably worried that her old friend Touka is having a hard time.

 No matter how I explained it to the people who thought I was a delinquent, they wouldn't believe me.
 So now, without making any effort to clear up the misunderstanding, I was being lenient and resented in this way.


"Mou! If I call senpai, you have to come in a hurry!"

 As I lined up next to Touka, she said this as if she was disciplining a small child.

"Right. Let's go to the usual place then"

 I let the words go by lightly.
 Touka looked moody for a moment, but then continued to the usual place... When I suggested that we go to the courtyard of this school, she seemed a little embarrassed.

"What's wrong?"

"No, that... Why don't we have lunch on the roof instead of the courtyard today?"


 She said, averting her gaze, and I was looking at the handbag that Touka was carrying.
 I somehow guessed.




 Then we arrived at the rooftop.
 Originally, this place was off-limits to students.
 However, ever since Touka noticed that the lock on the door to the rooftop was broken, she has been using it in this way.

"Senpai, please take the sheet."

 I silently responded to Touka's words, then unfolded the sheet that had been folded near the entrance to the rooftop.
 This sheet was not the original school equipment, but something that Touka had brought to the rooftop the other day.

 We sat next to each other on the sheet.

"Well, are you senpai who's always lonely eating the side dish bread? Today, your beloved girlfriend made you a lunch box. How about it, are you happy?"

 With a big smile on her face, Touka took out two lunch boxes from the bag in her hand and held one of them out to me.

 I had asked Touka to make me lunch again.
 I could guess when she asked me to take her bag and go to the roof.
 In the courtyard, it may be seen by other students.
 Maybe she doesn't like the idea that the other students think of her as a healthy character who makes homemade lunches for her boyfriend.

 I accepted the lunch offered to me,

"Thank you. Yeah, I'm happy."

 I replied.

"... S-Senpai who is honest like that might be just a little bit cute!"

 She said, turning away to cover up her embarrassment.

"As promised, next time I will treat you something."

 When I said this, Touka's lips twitched in disapproval.

"What's wrong?"

"No. Nothing. I just thought that I didn't make lunch because I wanted to be treated."

 Touka and I are in a "fake" lover's relationship.
 But lately, I think there is a trust that goes beyond that relationship.

 Maybe this lunch box is Touka's way of showing kindness, based on that trust.

 I felt myself smiling.

"I see. Thank you.... Then I'll have it."

 I said, and opened Touka's lunch box.
 This lunchbox looks very tasty, with colorful side dishes and a nutritional balance that seems to have been thought out.

 First, I took a mouthful of bacon-wrapped asparagus.
 The saltiness of the bacon and the texture of the asparagus are irresistible.
 The lunch was completely cold, but still...

"Delicious"

 When I muttered my thoughts, Touka smiled, as if relieved.

"I'm glad "

 After that, Touka and I ate our lunches while having a casual conversation.


 And we finished our lunches.
 Touka was drinking tea from a paper carton and I was drinking tea from a plastic bottle, and we were having a proper conversation.

 In the midst of all this, I suddenly remembered what had happened in the classroom earlier.

"Touka and Hasaki used to be close, right?"

 At the mention of Hasaki's name, Touka looked blatantly displeased.

"... E-tto. Anyway, why are you asking me that?"

"Because I'm curious"

 The sharp look I received from Hasaki when Touka called me.
 I guess she doesn't like the relationship between Touka and me, and that's why she hates me.

 They don't seem to get along now, but I wonder how close they used to be...
 I was a little curious about that.

"...Heh, you're curious? Anyway.... talking about other women in front of your girlfriend, isn't that seriously unbelievable? Don't you have any sense of delicacy? Don't you think senpai should fix that part?"

 Touka wore a blank expression and said to me in a hard tone of voice.
 It seemed that I had spoiled Touka's mood, unlike the good mood she was in earlier when we were eating lunch together.

 When we had lunch together before, Touka had said some harsh things about Hasaki, but I didn't expect her to be so angry just because I brought it up.

"I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if Hasaki hates me and the reason for that is because of this relationship we have. If you don't want to talk about it.... I won't force you. "

 When I said that, she was no longer overtly grumpy. 

"E-, Aa... So that's what you meant by being curious."

 She had a slightly relieved expression on her face.

"What did you think that meant?"

 At my words, Touka let out a small sigh and then shrugged her shoulders in silence.
 I was a little annoyed by that attitude.

"Well, it's true that me and Hasaki-senpai... were close until that person graduated from elementary school."

"...You remember it well. Did something happen during that period?"

"Yes.... But it's a pretty lame reason, so I feel like I don't want to say too much."

 Touka replied, playing with her hair with her fingertips in a boring manner.

"I see... Then I'll stop asking."

"I'd appreciate it if you did."

 Touka replied to my words with a lonely look.
 I was curious, but I didn't want to force Touka to remember if it would make her feel uncomfortable.
 I thought so.

Bing-Bong Bang-Bong

 Then, just as we were finishing our conversation, the bell rang, conveniently signaling the end of the lunch break.

"Let's go back to class?"

"Yes"

 We got up, put the sheet away, and left the rooftop.


 Then, as we descended the stairs and were about to part to head to our respective classrooms, Touka unexpectedly pinched the hem of my uniform.

"Ah, right, senpai!"

"What?"

 I turned around and asked Touka.

"I just thought I'd mention it so you don't forget. Isn't next week the test period."

 As we had talked a bit about the other day, the freshmen's first regular test was coming up soon.

"Right. So, what's up?"

 When I asked that emotionlessly, Touka got a little pouty.

"What's up? Don’t say that! We'll study for the midterm together, so make sure you clear your schedule, okay."

"...No, even if we study together, the scope of the study is completely different between the first year and second year."

"Well then, senpai, the second-year should teach me to study ♡"

"No, Touka, you're the best in your grade, and you have past papers from the student council's study group, so you can easily afford it, right? I mean, you said there was nothing for me to teach you, right?"

 At my words, Fuyuha had a blue streak around her forehead.

"Senpai? We are lovers, right?"

 I nodded, swallowing the words "fake, though," at Touka's terrifying look.


"There's no rule that says lovers have to study together in order to have a study session, you know?"


"... What's that, a philosophy?"

 Touka's words were too high-minded for me to make sense of.
 However, Touka remained silent, waiting for my words.

"All right. I was just going to stay home and study anyway, so my schedule's free."

 Hearing my words, Touka smiled brilliantly.

"Hooray! I'll be looking forward to it then! We'll talk about the details later, okay ♡"

 After saying that, Touka took her hand away from my hem.
 Then she waved lightly at me and headed off to her classroom.

 Study sessions aren't really something to look forward to, are they...
 And then I thought.

 Is it because I've never had the chance to have a study session with anyone before?
 I became aware that I was also looking forward to the study session with Touka, just a little bit more than I had been――.

 It made me feel somewhat embarrassed.