Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

1, There’s No Way A Side Character Like Me Could Be Popular, Right?


 The 15 years of my life before I graduated from junior high school were undoubtedly the worst.
 Because of my natural bad eyesight, I am feared, hated, treated as an enemy and alienated.
 Partly because of that, I didn't have many relationships with other people, and my communication skills were poor, so I spent a lot of time alone.

 …… But.
 After graduating from middle school, high school life is not so easy to abandon.

 I'm pretty sure that's what I'm thinking now.

 There are still many who avoid me and hate me.
 But still, there are people who understand me.

 Asakura Yoshito, a classmate who changed his mind when he saw what I did.
 Kai Rekka, a junior came to a deeper understanding by beating each other.
 Makiri Chiaki-sensei cares for me in any way she can and does not judge me by my appearance.


Ike Touka trusts me beyond our relationship as "fake" lovers.


 And... Ike Haruma , who is the main character in this world and thinks of me as his friend.



 Thanks to them, I think I'm able to have a little better what it is called a "youth".


 ……Nevertheless.
 As I thought, a lot of people don't approve of me.


 The first person of that is... Hasaki Kana, a childhood friend of Ike.

 She is an idol-like pretty girl who treats almost everyone with open arms (except me, unfortunately) and has an innocent smile that captivates many boys.
 On top of that, she is one of the best tennis players in the country.
 Her academic performance is on par with the top-ranked schools in the prefecture, and she is maintaining her grades.

 That's why Hasaki Kana is extremely popular.

 It is a well-known fact that she is in love with Ike Haruma, but still, there's no end to the number of people who confess their love for her.

 ......I laugh bitterly at the irony of being hated by Hasaki Kana, who is liked by everyone.



 Yes.
 Me, whom everyone hates.
 She is liked by everyone.


 There is no doubt that the relationship between me and Hasaki Kana has changed.


 The events of that day must have been the trigger ――.




 One day.

 I was called to the back of the gym by a letter I found in my shoebox.

 I thought it was either a prank by someone who wasn't afraid, or a fool who was proud of his skills, but... I soon realized that I'd been wrong about that.


"I'm sorry I called you out on such short notice."


 The person in front of me when I was called out, had a serious expression on her face ―― she was Hasaki Kana.
 She didn't say anything else after that.

 The look of worry on her face made me think that she was going to confess her feelings to me... or so, I thought for a moment.
 But I quickly reminded myself that it was not possible.

 Because, I don't have to keep saying it but.

 ―― There’s no way a side character like me could be popular.

 After a long time of not saying anything to each other, silence overtook the area.


 Her chestnut brown short cut swayed softly in the wind as she remained silent.
 After holding her hair in her hands, she looked me straight in the eye.

 Then, as if she had made up her mind...

 Hasaki Kana slowly opened her mouth.











"I'm sorry! ...Please start out as friends!"













 I couldn't respond to any of those words.


 Even though I'm a friend character, there's no way I could be popular.

 I didn't expect to be rejected when I hadn't even confessed my feelings to her ――.