20. Gift


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translations and the translators keep alive. Thank you


 The next day after school.
 Today, too, Touka and I were in the printing room, making copies of past papers.

"...When will this be over?"

 Touka, with her hollow eyes, asks me a question.
 It can't be helped that the light is lost from her eyes.

 Because this work.
 ...... It’s boring, unsophisticated, miserable, and makes me want to sleep.
 In other words, I want it to be over soon.

"I don't think we'll finish today."

 I replied after putting the stapled bundle of past papers into a cardboard box.

"That's right~. Ha~a, what a vain task. What a waste of youth, this."

 Touka said with a shrug of her shoulders.
 Even though she said that, she didn't stop stapling the past papers, so she is a very serious girl.

 Actually, it’s okay for her to not help me and just trying to keep me company.
 She gets carried away easily, is annoying quite often, has a bad mouth and a bad personality, but Touka is still a good girl.

"……I am sorry"

"Huh? I don't understand why senpai should apologize to me, I mean, I think that shitty brother should be the one to apologize for forcing me to do this boring, sleepy job."

"The student council members have to prepare for the lecture and make sure everything runs smoothly, so it's only natural to outsource these chores."

"It doesn't matter, does it? Even if it does, I want an apology."

 Touka complains with a pouty expression.
 Ah, I feel sorry for Ike...

"Ah, I'm going to the vending machine to get a drink!"

 With that said, Touka stood up.

"Would senpai like something to drink? I'll buy it for you."

"That's unusual. Touka doesn't use me as a lackey, but also buys my stuff by herself."

"It's not unusual, is it? I mean, if you don't want it, I'll just go to the vending machine."

 Touka tells me with a dissatisfied look.

"I'm sorry, that was rude. Can you go get me a can of coffee?"

"Good grief, it’s okay if you understand. Oh, you always drink black unsweetened, is that okay for today?"

"Yeah"

 I answered Touka and gave her some coins.

"Hiyu~, I'm alive* ♡"
(*TL: In the Japanese slang dictionary, it is described as "abbreviation of motivation". It seems that the dialect originally used in the Kansai area has spread all over the country)

 Touka said happily as she received the coins.
 I'm sure I'm not wrong in thinking her statement is very rude.

"Then I'll go! Senpai, don't slack off just because I'm not here, okay?"

"Yes, yes, go"

 When I replied, Touka said, "Yes," and left the printing room.
 Since I had been talking with Touka earlier, the only thing that caught my attention was the sound of the copier moving.

 ...... I will get sleepy, because of this.
 My ears perked up as I grabbed a stack of copies of past papers, ready to fight sleepiness.

Knock, knock, knock

 I heard the sound of knocking on the door.
 It can't be Touka. It hadn't been long enough for her to come back from buying a drink, and she won't knock in the first place.

 It must be another student who came to use the printing room, or a teacher.

"Yes"

 I answered, and the door was opened.
 And it was Makiri-sensei who came into the printing room.

"I was told that Ike-san was also here, but is Tomoki-kun alone?"

"She's out getting a drink right now."

"Is that so, the timing is bad..."

 Makiri-sensei said with a slightly awkward expression.
 What does it mean the timing is bad?

"... I brought some food for the two guys who are helping me out. I should have come a little earlier. Then you wouldn't have had to buy drinks."

 Sensei then placed the plastic bag in his hand on a suitable desk.
 There were two bottles of tea and two expensive cups of ice cream.

"... Is it okay?"

"Yes. This work is quite difficult, isn't it?"

"Well~, it's more of a mental challenge than a physical one."

"That may be true. That's why you two should eat together when Ike-san comes back."

"Yes, thank you very much"

 At my thanks, Makiri-sensei smiles calmly.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. Thank you for everything. You've been a great help to the student council."

"... I just have free time"

 Makiri-sensei smiled at my answer.

"How is school these days?"

" Touka is the same. The number of people who are willing to talk to me has increased, such as Tanaka-san and Suzuki-san from the student council. I've always been avoided because of my appearance, so I'm grateful."

"I see. That's good."

"It’s thanks to Ike and Makiri-sensei."

 When I expressed my gratitude while holding back my embarrassment, Makiri-sensei, surprisingly, looked a little angry.

"No, it's because you've been working so hard and diligently. There are people who see what you're doing, and I'm sure there will be more. I guarantee."

 Makiri-sensei tells me that she didn't do anything, that it's just the result of what I've done.
 I am very grateful for that. It also makes me happy to know that there are people who really care about what I've done.

 But I still couldn't believe that I had been accepted on my own power.

"But still. The fact that Ike and Makiri-sensei approve of me is a big influence."

"Really... I didn't do anything "

 Hearing my words, Makiri-sensei gave me a lonely look.

"Sensei?"

 I was about to ask her what was wrong,

"I am ba~ck... Are, Makiri-sensei? What's wrong?"

 It was Touka who opened the door and walked in.

"Yes. I'd like to thank you both for helping me out. Thank you, Ike-san."

" No, not at all. There is no need for thanks. But, whoa, can I eat this ice cream? Sensei, you're so generous ♡"

 Touka said as she gazed at the cup of ice cream sensei had brought.

"Of course. I'm so sorry that this is all I can do.... Then, I'm going to check in with the student council as well."

"Yes"

 Touka replied to Makiri-sensei's words, and I also gave a nod.
 Then sensei left the printing room immediately.

 In the end, I couldn't ask the reason for that lonely look on her face.

"Chocolate chip and... Oh, the other one is a new flavor! Senpai, can I have this one?"

"Yeah"

"Yay ♡"

 I received a cup of ice cream and the canned coffee I ordered from a happy and excited Touka.

"Are, what's with the gloomy look on your face? Was this one better than the chocolate chip one? But you can't. I've already eaten it. I can give you a bite if you want..."

 Apparently, I had a gloomy expression on my face.
 Touka was concerned and said something like that to me.

"Don't worry about it. I was just thinking something."

"Eh...? Senpai is thinking? It doesn't suit you ..."

"You're mocking me a little too much, that statement."

"Well, I'm glad nothing happened to you! Now I can enjoy ice cream without any worries ♡"

 Touka ignored my comment and continued eating her ice cream.
 As I watched her happily eating the ice cream, I naturally felt my poisonous energy drain away.

 ...... Well, I guess about Makiri-sensei is okay for now?
 Maybe I'll have another chance to hear it.