Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive.
Thank you for all the patrons Ilmi Sumitro, eduardo diaz, Erik Hartleben and Andres Ulloa.

Chapter 1 | Hopeless Day By Day | Remake our Life! ◄◄


Part 1

It is Monday morning, the beginning of a new workday in a new department.

I was in front of my PC at home three hours before that.

"Sorry to take up so much of your time, even though you're busy."

"Don't worry about it, I'll do what I can for Hashiba's future."

Hayakawa, who worked at an advertising agency, was my college classmate. Even after he started working, he was still a valuable source of information and a valuable channel for me.

He was a capable man of work, which also made securing time in his schedule a difficult task. The story of today's meeting, which was originally scheduled for Sunday evening, was pushed to the early morning of the next day.

But it was still worth talking to him. Hayakawa's information was reliable and, above all, new.

What I was talking to him about, of course, was the company's — and the executive director's business. Come to think of it, he, like Kawasegawa, had been warning me about the man from the very beginning.

Hayakawa, with the report he had compiled in hand, began to talk.

"Matsuhira Kou hasn't been in the company much recently. There's no mistake about that, right?"

"Yeah, it's almost like he's not even in the executive director's office except for important meetings."

Although he was a hated enemy, Matsuhira Kou's working skills were overwhelmingly impressive.

He was energetic in the morning and was always on the lookout for new business opportunities, so it was unlikely that he would just sit comfortably in his seat like the other directors.

If I wanted to catch the executive director, I had to go where there was something up-to-date. That was the common understanding within the company.

"I see, so it's exactly what we've been hearing."

Hayakawa nodded,

"Hey Hashiba, maybe the executive director ... might throw the game away soon."

"What did you say?"

Suddenly, he said something shocking.

"Does that mean Succeedsoft is getting out of the development business?"

"Yeah. And it's not just development. There's a chance you won't even stay in shape as a distributor."

Hayakawa sent me new materials.

"This is the company Succeed is trying to start once."

When I looked, I saw the name Succeedsoft among the names of the Ministry of Education and major publishers.

"There's a big project around education using tablets, which a major publisher has been wanting to do for a while, and Succeed has stepped up to the challenge of developing it."

"That's, well, not really a problem, is it? I'm sure they'd love to have some non-game income."

I am also aware that game development is a tricky business. Therefore, it is the practice of major manufacturers to conduct operations that generate stable earnings at the same time.

"I know, right? But there's something not right about the balance, here."

"Balance?"

When I asked back, Hayakawa asked me to take a closer look at the outline of the project.

"The scale of development is clearly too large for a single company to handle. No matter how big Succeed company is, this is too much."

When I looked at it, it was indeed an extraordinary level. From the development of the core software to the actual software that the students would touch, the amount of software shown was clearly beyond capacity.

"The premise of using outsourcing..."

"That's what I thought. But here's the off-the-record part, the executive director has unofficially stated that the project will be developed by the company all in-house."

"All in-house, you say?"

I asked back without thinking.

"Yeah. In other words, 'what does it mean?', that's it"

Hayakawa sent another document. It showed the work of all the development departments of Succeedsoft, from the 1st to the 13th.

It also included detailed information on when the ongoing projects were scheduled to be completed.

"I thought the premise was that as soon as we finish the game development that's going on in the company, we'll switch everything over to the education-related business."

"No way..."

"It's too extreme movement. But the fact is, it's very likely that they're trying to get rid of game production from their own company."

It was a surprising theory, but when I calmed down and thought about it, I saw clues of this in many places.

Until now, the Executive Director has promoted the production of social games in opposition to the old guard, the side that once endorsed the production of games.

Even in the case of social games, rather than placing importance on the quality of the game, the company focused on cost cutting and profitability, and did not place any importance on creativity. The names of creators were kept completely confidential, and even the creation of staff rolls was forbidden.

Nevertheless, as long as he still continued to make "games," I could just barely see him as a comrade in the same company.

But if Hayakawa's current theory is correct, it changes the way we think in the first place.

If you approach someone who is trying to get rid of games with a new game production project, you are bound to get rejected at the doorstep. In other words, what we did was a very bad idea.

"What a way to try to bring someone in our side ... It's a complete failure."

Unintentionally, words of regret escaped my mouth.

"It can't be helped, at the time, the information was not yet that definitive. Besides, if there was going to be a breakthrough, that move was the only way."

Hayakawa soothed me by saying so, but my feelings remained clouded. If I had known that he hated the game so much, I might have moved a little differently.

"I don't know what led him to this kind of thinking. Is it simply about profitability or is it due to personal feelings? But I don't think it's a good idea to try to know why right now."

Hayakawa calmly connected his words. This is probably due to his experience as an advertiser who has had to deal with many troublesome opponents.

"So let's first look at the internal situation. As you know, there are many people within and outside the company who are dissatisfied with the executive director's approach. If you can work together with them, you will probably be able to realize you and your team's plan, Hashiba."

I sighed heavily as I nodded at his words.

"If it weren't for that board of directors' meeting, ... I could have thought of that too."

"Why? Ah, I see..."

Hayakawa also seemed to notice.

At that board meeting, we the 13th department clearly became "enemies" with the old guard. Their words and actions clearly harmed our project, and it could be said that it was unavoidable, but given the current situation, it felt a little overkill.

"That made a really bad impression of me."

If the executive director cursed me out and told me that I was being treated like a subordinate in a department that was a burden to him, it would be difficult to convince him that I was on his side this time and that I was happy to work with him.

Hayakawa sighed,

"Indeed, it may be a tough fight, but the enemy of the enemy is your friend, and that's been true from ancient times to the present. Besides, you can find allies outside the company."

"I hope we have someone that convenient."

"Then think about the benefits for the other party. If it's for the sake of making the project come to fruition, the other party can take credit for the project."

Sakurai-san's expression as she shouted at the meeting comes back to me.

That was the result of her attempt to do something about something that had been out of her control until then. She did not want to give someone else the project that she had so desperately tried to devise, no matter how much she wanted to make the project work.

If we don't go this far, nothing will move, huh.

"Hayakawa, a big company is troublesome ... really."

Hayakawa laughs at my words.

"It's not just limited to the company. When you get a lot of people together, it's a lot of trouble. A country is a perfect example."

"Absolutely."

We both laughed, but it was a different type of dry laugh.

"Anyway, let's gather information now. I'm going to explore things from the outside too."

Hayakawa said so and indicated that he would make a connection with a company that had a competitive or hostile relationship with Succeedsoft. Thinking it might be something positive, I also gave him Kojima-san's contact information.

The call with Hayakawa was disconnected, and silence fell with a strangely interrupted electronic sound.

Morning light is leaking in through the curtains from outside the window. If I don't get ready and head out soon, I will not be able to make it to the office on time from the first day.

But I didn't leave my seat right away.

"Is a company really like that?"

Everyone should have started with an ideal, but when it grows, does it always become corrupted?

Is everything going to go in a strange direction just because it is the will of the upper management?

I kept thinking about that until the alarm on my phone went off.


Part 2

I took a quick shower and got ready, and when I went outside, the stinging sunlight lit up my sleepy face all at once.

"Warm... It's really nice weather."

I could say it's the best time to go out and have fun, but unfortunately I have to work today. Moreover, it is the first day of a new department, and I am almost certain that I will be completely exhausted.

I go to the same company, but from today I will be in a different department and have a different job title. My mindset will naturally be different, and of course, the level of tension will be different as well.

"Alright...!"

I slapped both cheeks to get into the spirit and opened the front door with renewed enthusiasm.

"Ah~, Hashiba-san, good morning~"

Suddenly, I was greeted by a calm voice that sounded as if someone was basking in the sun, and I almost fell for it.

"Ichikawa-san, good morning ... You're early today."

It was the caretaker, Ichikawa-san, who was just sweeping up.

"I see that Hashiba-san is also early today~. What's up?"

Stopping to sweep with a broom, Ichikawa-san smiles.

Just like her voice, the air she carries around her is also very calm.

"Ah, yes. Today is my first day in the new department, so..."

"I see, good spirit~. That kind of boy will be promoted ~."

Boy, she said. Even though we are almost the same age...

The caretaker here was originally an old man who was hired, but he quit for family reasons and was replaced last month by Ichikawa-san. She is a woman of my generation and often speaks to me in a friendly manner.

Normally, the standard caretaker of such an apartment would be an old man or an old woman, and I had thought that such a young caretaker only existed in the manga,


(So it actually existed...)

At first, she was a little confused, but I helped her, who was still unfamiliar with administrative tasks, and we became somewhat close.

"Good job cleaning up today. Thank you."

"It's a daily routine, so it's no problem at all~. If you want, I can clean your room too, Hashiba-san?"

"I'm sorry, that's fine."

"I see~. Then please call me when you need me~"

It's nice that we're becoming familiar with each other, but I'm curious about the strangely close distance.

Ichikawa-san's parents originally ran an apartment building, and apparently she became the successor caretaker because of that relationship. So, in effect, she is both caretaker and landlord.

The person herself seems to work for a company, but the company said that she works in the afternoon. So, in her free time in the morning, she seems to be cleaning the apartment like this.

(Night work ... No, no way)

Ichikawa-san was very cute and looked much younger than her age, but that didn't mean she was doing that kind of business.

She seems strangely aggressive, but I think that's just being friendly.

"Hey, so Kyouya-sa..."

When Ichikawa-san was about to open her mouth, I shook my head as hard as I could to stop her.

"Uhm, Ichikawa-san, please, I said, call me by my last name normally."

"Eh, why? I mean, here we are, having someone almost the same age."

"But we are the caretaker and the residents. Normally, we are addressed by our last names."

"Hashiba-san is too particular about frames and relationships~. Can't I call you like a friend?"

"No, there's no strong reason not to."

"Then I'll call you so sometimes~"

Ichikawa-san jumped with joy. I could be killed if I said it was out of character for her age, but it's this kind of small gesture that makes her so lovely.

This person tries to call me by name as soon as I let my guard down. Maybe that's Ichikawa-san's way of communicating, but as expected, I've never heard of a relationship between a caretaker and a resident where the caretaker calls the resident by their first name. Even in the manga with the beautiful caretaker and the college student who failed the entrance exam properly called people by their last names.

Incidentally, I heard that Ichikawa-san's name is "Mika". She said I could call her by her first name in exchange for calling me by my first name, but I don't intend to call her by her first name in the near future. I'm not a student...

"So, what was that about? Don't you have some tasks?"

"Ah, right right~. The fluorescent light in the common area there is about to go out, and I was wondering if you could replace it again when you have time."

If it's that kind of thing, it's not a problem.

"Fine, I'll contact you when I get home early."

"Yes yes, Then add my RINE~"

I had exchanged RINE addresses with Ichikawa-san because of our relationship of helping each other with this kind of minor work. There is, of course, no relationship beyond that. In my opinion.

"Ah, then I'm leaving now. The train is coming."

I tried to bail and go, thinking that I shouldn't talk too long,

"Yees, be careful and have a good day~"

She waved her hand in a flutter and saw me off.

Although she has a strange sense of distance, but I'm kind of happy to be seen off like this.

"I'm going."

I answered and hurried on my way to the station.

At the same time I was reassigned, I moved. This was because my apartment in Komae was evicted for reconstruction. The apartment I was referred to was in Yurigaoka, and the constant ups and downs were very hard on my body when I was tired from work.

The nearest station is mainly a stop for the slow train, so I take that to Shinjuku. It is possible to transfer to an express train on the way, but only during non-rush hours. It was too crowded to change trains.

Perhaps because I walked too slowly, I just barely made it to the train I was scheduled to board. I hurriedly boarded the train and leaned against the closed door.

"Phew..."

I take a breath and look out the window at the view.

Although the mountains and residential areas continue for a while, the atmosphere of the town changes completely by the time the Tama River is eventually crossed. The transition from Kanagawa to Setagaya-ku and then to Shinagawa-ku has become a familiar sight by now.

(I don't know what's going to happen, really)

Until just a little over a year ago, I was living a life of no dreams, no hopes, nothing. I was even thinking of dreaming that I could somehow redo my life.

Then, by a stroke of luck, my life changed forever, and I was just one step away from the job I had dreamed of back then.

A miracle ── you could say that.

(But this is reality)

Even if the coincidence of meeting Kawasegawa that day in Shinjuku was a miracle, what happened from that point on could not be described simply as luck. I was in the midst of a great wave, as if I was being drawn by something strong.

And now I am at the center of that wave, in a position to move it myself.

"Right, I've come all this way."

The area was completely transformed into a building district. A few more stops and I will reach Shinjuku, and then a few more stops and I will be in Gotanda, where Succeedsoft is located.

I am creating reality. That is why I never want to be at the wish of that executive director who tries to twist it with great force.

That's why I build strength. To win at all costs.

"Even in a new place, I'll work hard on the front lines."

I clenched my fists. Today, a new battle would begin.


Part 3

When I entered Succeedsoft's company building, I headed for the General Affairs instead of taking the usual stairs to the basement. This was because Kawasegawa told me to do so.

"Uhm, this is Hashiba from the 2nd Development Department."

When I told the employee my name, the employee in the seat in front of me said, "Ah!"

"Yes, I heard from Kawasegawa-san. Here it is."

The employee handed me a new employee ID card.

"This is..."

There was definitely my name there, along with my new title.

2nd Development Department, Hashiba Kyouya.

It was indeed listed, along with a new face photo taken just a few days ago.

(Is this ... me?)

It was like a dream to see my name under the Succeedsoft logo, and it was also like a dream to see my name under the Development Department.

Besides, the title of the position also firmly states "Vice Director".

None of this was a joke or anything, it was real.

(Kinda makes me feel good.)

Of course, I can't honestly be happy for everyone in the 13th department, but still, this title and the name of the department had enough power to shake my resolve.

From the opposite perspective, that executive director had the power to change one person's position to such an extent. The fact that there was such a difference in power, even though our ages were not that different, was terrifying to me.

Even though we are about to have to fight someone who has that power.

"Hashiba-san?"

My name was called, and I gasped and turned toward the voice. The receptionist was looking at me curiously.

"Ah no, I'm sorry. It's nothing."

I bowed and went straight to the elevator hall and boarded the elevator that had just arrived.

It's the exact opposite of the 13th department in the basement, where I was heading to avoid being seen. Just the feeling of moving up to the upper floors makes me feel as if I am something special.

Without a sound, I stare at the quietly increasing display of the number of floors.

(Now it's time.)

The 2nd Development Department was on the 15th floor. When the door opened, it was a large door adjacent to the hall. I held up the electronic key with the employee ID card I had just been given, and it quietly opened to the left and right.

"This is... Second Development Department?"

The floor was partitioned for each staff member and designed to be spacious. It seemed that they were allowed to bring in a certain amount of personal belongings, and figurines and stuffed animals were placed on desks and shelves, creating an air of freedom in the midst of the company.

It seemed that some of them were already working. They may have noticed that I had entered the room and glanced at me. But they immediately went back to their work.

There was no calling out or greeting or anything like that.

(Ugh, it's awkward)

I guess some of them don't know how to respond, but it's not comfortable for me either when they take such a clearly stranger-oriented attitude.

However, I cannot say so. If I don't take some action myself, I will spend all my time in this awkward atmosphere.

(Yoshi...)

Make up my mind and call out to the staff closest to the entrance.

"Uhm, excuse me."

I call out to the man who was working with headphones on, from behind his back.

"...Yes?"

The man took off his headphones and turned around.

"My name is Hashiba, and I will be working here from today. Nice to meet you."

I bowed my head, while the man clearly looked doubtful,

"Ah, yes ... I'm Kurano, nice to meet you."

He simply said so, put on his headphones again, and went back to his work.

"....................................................."

I stood there, frozen in place.

(I knew it would be awkward...!!)

Of course, if a boss from somewhere else suddenly greets you, you may become suspicious, but I still think it's okay to at least talk to him a little bit.

I was shuddering for a while at the strong-styled greeting, which eliminated all sense of friendliness,

"Hashiba"

A voice called out to me from behind and I turned around.

"Ah, Kawasega ... Manager"

I was almost about to call her by her name, when she called me,

"I don't mind if you call me that. We don't do that in our department."

With a sigh, the usual Kawasegawa stood there.

"Can you come to the conference room? I'll explain the job and everything."

"Y-Yeah, but greetings and all that."

"I'll explain that too. Hurry."

After saying all that, she went straight into a glass-walled room at the far end of the floor.

"Eh, wait a minute."

I hurriedly followed her to the room.


Part 4

"Excuse... me"

As soon as I entered the conference room, a familiar voice called my name.

"Hashiba-san!"

"Ah... Sakurai-san, good morning."

When I called out to her, she ran to me with her usual small animal-like movements,

"Hey, listen, Hashiba-san! I came to work first thing this morning and went around to greet everyone, but everyone didn't seem to respond much, so I was stuck thinking about what I should do!"

"...... So I guess you got the same thing."

She seemed to have experienced the same alienation I did.

"That means that Hashiba-san was also not accepted! I guess this is that thing, or if we are being ostracized or something like that, because we are strangers here."

"I don't know, but this gives me the feeling that I'm not welcome, at least not by any means."

"That's right~!"

She nodded and shared that indescribable feeling,

"Both of you, sit down for now. If you don't, I can't explain."

With a sigh, the Head of the 2nd Development Department murmured,

"Ah, I-I'm sorry."

We hurriedly sat down in our seats.

The two of us felt sorry for making a fuss as soon as we arrived at the office, but Manager Kawasegawa looked at each of us,

"First of all, I'm sorry. I'll apologize first."

Suddenly, she bowed her head.

"W-What's wrong suddenly, Manager?"

Sakurai-san is confused and flustered.

That's true. If anything, it should be us who feel inferior, if we were to receive an apology from the other party, we would be at a loss.

"It kind of started with a not-so-peaceful situation..."

I, too, did not expect it to start with an apology, and sighed at the seemingly complicated situation.

Kawasegawa raised her head,

"As you are probably aware, the transfer of the two to the 2nd Development Department was the result of a strong push by one of the top management and special consideration by the personnel department."

I know that sounds like a roundabout way of putting it, but I think the point is that the executive director screwed things up.

"That means that two people suddenly belong to the department, even though the department did not specifically ask for more staff... That's what you're saying, isn't it?"

Kawasegawa nodded when I said that.

"Yeah. That kind of thing."

"Really, I was transferred solely for the reason of harassment. I thought there was a little bit of job evaluation going on..."

With a sad face, Sakurai-san sighs.

That is also true. It was different from the transfer to the 2nd Development Department, which was made in recognition of her planning ability. When the transfer was made with an obvious political motive in mind, it was hard to be happy about it even though it seemed like a clear promotion.

(It's a troublesome story, really)

I feel like an idiot for being so happy with my brand new employee ID card just a few minutes ago.

Yes, this is not a promotion, it's nothing more than a demonstration.

"So, first of all, I apologize. I had hoped to have the will of the department in place by the time you arrived, but as you can imagine, I was unable to do so. I'm not good enough."

No, no matter how good Kawasegawa is, it would be next to impossible to put this situation together perfectly. Rather, I would like to thank her just for making the move to see what she could do.

"But trust me on this. I will not treat you two like a tumor, and I will make sure that both of you will be a valuable member of the team since you are here. And I've been asking Kojima-san and Miyamoto-san how they were working on the 13th Department."

So she was able to make contact with both of them.

At least Kawasegawa is on our side. I'm sure it must be hard being on the other side of the board...

"I got it. I and Sakurai-san will do our best for the sake of Kawasegawa and the 2nd Development Department."

"Yes! I will work hard, so please take care of me."

When we both bowed our heads, Kawasegawa smiled lightly, as if relieved.

"I'm sorry about one thing ... This is probably about Hashiba."

"About me?"

Kawasegawa nodded,

"There's a bit of a mess. I'm sure you'll find out soon after this, the intention I mentioned earlier about not being able to put it together, that might take some time and effort."

What is it about?

 Previous | Table of Contents | Next