Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive.
Thank you for all the patrons Ilmi Sumitro, eduardo diaz, Erik Hartleben and Andres Ulloa.

Prologue | I Thought I Couldn't Do It Anymore | Remake our Life! ◄◄


Part 1

Succeedsoft headquarters building, 26th floor.

It is known as the floor where the offices of the company's executives, who are directors or more senior, are located, and where ordinary employees are not allowed to approach.

Normally, going there is when you have done something gratifying. It was supposed to be the place to go when you had done something that would be a great achievement for the company, or when you had received an award, or something like that.

And I was just now receiving a promotion from the executive director, the owner of this office.

"It feels good to say congratulations! You must be happy too, right?"

But it was hellish news for me.

The project that I had worked so hard to create with everyone in the 13th department was thrown out and returned to a blank sheet of paper under the words, "I'll take it into custody," right before my eyes.

On top of that, I was the only one who was offered a promotion with what could be called extraordinary treatment. No matter how ignorant one may be, one can clearly understand the intention.

(He's trying to ... split us up, isn't he.)

I am the only one who has recently joined the company, and I am the only one who has been selected out of everyone else who should have been working with me. If this happens, the other members who have worked together with me will be suspicious in some way.

Moreover, when a person changes to a different department, it becomes difficult to keep in close contact with each other as before. Even if they are in the same company, different departments will have a different sense of distance and different environments.

The executive director probably knew all this and did it knowingly. Perhaps he even anticipated how I would receive this promotion.

"Are you telling me not to do anything unnecessary?"

I pushed down my anger and tried to confirm it.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

However, the executive director brushed off the answer.

That's true, too. On the surface, this is a promotion that everyone is thankful for. If I say that it is a recommendation in consideration of the planning of this project, no one will know that this is something damaging to me or to the department.

Cleverly considered warn personnel. Yet, it is silly to go out of your way to say, "This is a warning". No need to remind them, as long as they know what you mean.

The executive director seemed to be saying, 'you know what I mean'.

"No, thank you."

If he is not going to answer, I can only guess and act accordingly.

As long as one belongs to a company, one is not allowed to refuse a letter of resignation. No, it is hard to imagine complaining about a promotion appointment, even if it is an obvious transfer to the left or reassignment for unknown reasons.

It wasn't hard to think of a last resort, but her face immediately came to mind.

(Kawasegawa—)

The look on her face was as if she had given up on something. I wanted to keep my promise to her. If it would give her even a little hope.

"I will gladly accept it."

So, I... Knowing that a thorny path awaited me, I accepted this "promotion" with bitterness.

The executive director remained smiling all the way to the moment I left the room.


Part 2

In the dark room, only the low operating sound of the air conditioner continues to sound quietly.

Succeedsoft's 13th Development Department on the first basement floor. This department, which had been performing miscellaneous and general administrative tasks that arose in each department, was not really a development department in name only, but was revived as the original development department after a business improvement plan initiated by me bore fruit.

The planning meeting, which had remained a relative unknown, was revived, and a certain idea by Sakurai-san, a second-year employee who had been constantly getting rejected, was put back together, put on the board of directors' agenda, and came very close to passing.

However, due to the manipulations of the executive director, who was asked to make the final decision, it was turned into a tool of internal politics and sent back without ever seeing the light.

The members of the 13th Department, who naturally thought that the project would proceed, are now in the depths of despair.

"We've been played."

With a sigh, Miyamoto Kanji, aka Charaji, chief of the 13th Development Department, grunted.

"The project is now a blank slate, and only one person has been promoted in order to cause a rift between the members of the department. How could he come up with such a wicked scheme?"

"Yes..."

I nodded and couldn't look up.

Hashiba Kyouya had been transferred to the 2nd Development Department by today's announcement.

The position is Deputy General Manager. This is an unusually great appointment for a mid-career hire, and for one who has been with the company for less than a year.

"Well, maybe it was our mistake not to make a firm statement at the meeting. Of course, we should not have said anything so reckless at that time."

The queen, Kojima Miyu, said in her usual cool tone. Like us, she is a staff member of the 13th Development Department.

In the end, she and Miyamoto-san didn't receive any letter of appointment. Differences that are blatantly visible. There could not have been a more obvious split.

"And this one was crucial, too."

"Yes—"

At Miyamoto-san's words, I glanced to the side.

One woman looked as puzzled as I was. She is Sakurai Ritsuko, a.k.a. Squirrel Girl.

"Really, why am I even being transferred...?"

A big sigh and a downcast gaze. She, too, had been transferred to the 2nd Development Department at the same time as I was.

There was no extreme difference in ability in game development between Miyamoto-san and Kojima-san and myself and Sakurai-san. In fact, considering their track record and skills, it made more sense to select the former two. However, the result was the opposite.

To create disharmony and weaken the organization under the guise of a selection process. The objective was clear. But only a few people understood it.

"There's nothing we can do about it, huh"

There was no power in Miyamoto-san's words. He should have been filled with such liveliness in the final stages of the planning process.

Silence pervaded the room. Not long ago, this room was filled with hope.

That hope was instantly knocked down to despair by that executive director. It is not something I can tolerate.

"I..."

So, the moment I opened my mouth to make amends in my own way.

"Hashiba-kun"

Kojima-san spoke to me as if trying to get ahead of me.

"Are you thinking of quitting?"

"Eh?"

She hit the mark.

I even wondered where the point of my being in this company was now that it was no longer this way. Despite my promise to Kawasegawa, I would not be able to apologize to everyone in the 13th Department if I stayed. I thought that I might even have to turn down the appointment.

"I was thinking so."

I answer honestly,

"What a waste, you're getting a promotion, you know."

Surprisingly, Kojima-san said it with ease.

"Eh, Kojima, wait a minute, are you insane?"

Miyamoto-san stood up as if jumping out of the chair he was sitting in.

"You heard the explanation, right? Hashiba said the project was thrown out and he was sent to the 2nd Development Department for some unknown reason. Why do you say it's a waste."

But Kojima-san did not change her tone,

"Hashiba-kun is getting a promotion, right? In our main development department, and with a role, it's easier to get information, and even Kawasegawa-san, the department head, is sympathetic to the 13th department."

Miyamoto-san said, "Uwh..." and then fell silent. Kojima-san turned to me without pause,

"That's why you shouldn't quit. If you do that voluntarily, you'll be doing exactly what the executive director wants you to do, right? The truth is, he wants to kick you out, but he can't. So if you say you're quitting on your own, he applauds you."

"Yes, that may be true."

From the executive director's point of view, if I leave Succeedsoft, everything will fall into place. If he could suppress the noisy old faction and even dispose those industrial wastes, it would be an ideal development.

If I see it that way, if I quit, it's all over.

Kojima-san smiled as he saw me nod,

"I know it's hard. But you should at least think of it as an opportunity."

She said so and it give me courage.

"...... Thank you."

Normally, she would not remain calm at heart either.

The mysterious mid-career employee who came in later in the day had stormed the place, and was also getting a promotion ahead of her. She should have been more outraged and perplexed.

"But we have to figure out what exactly we're going to do about it."

Miyamoto-san groaned. It is true that I can't just sit back and let things happen. We need to make a plan and work based on that plan.

"Even if Hashiba went to the 2nd, he would not be given so much real power at first. Kawasegawa, the general manager, would be caught between the boards, and we'd have to create a good link with the outside."

Kojima-san nodded broadly,

"Well, I guess that's where we come in"

She smiled fearlessly and looked at me worriedly.

"Hashiba-kun is going to have a hard time at first."

"Right, I'm prepared for that."

This is such an extreme personnel change. It is unthinkable that a person who is moved to the second position can suddenly take the lead in the center of development.

The people who were originally in the department, the various departments involved, and the upper management. The elements involved in a blossoming department should not be compared to this one. How do we manage to avoid them while at the same time creating a foothold for the return of the 13th Department's project? As Kojima-san pointed out, it was clear just by looking at Kawasegawa's distress that it would not be that easy.

"I-I will support him somehow. I am just a bonus, so I can't be relied on, though..."

Sakurai-san's words made Miyamoto-san laugh out loud.

"What are you talking about? It was rather the executive director's mistake that Sakurai had to go."

"Eh?"

"In the 13th Department, you are now able to make plans on your own while supporting Hashiba. You are the best partner for Hashiba, who will be working in the 2nd Development Department from now on."

"I-Is that much?"

I answer with a smile to Sakurai-san, who glances in my direction.

"Originally, I believe that Sakurai-san could have made it to the 2nd Department with your ability."

As Miyamoto-san agrees,

"Yes. Have confidence in that. Okay?"

"Y-Yes! I'm going with confidence!"

Sakurai-san nodded repeatedly in joy.

Like the relationship between the two, the 13th Development Department has become more united than ever before. That should never be broken by the executive director's schemes.

(Watch me, I'll definitely get my revenge)

I couldn't lose the battle from here on, even in order to make that grinning face twitch.

"Well, now is the time to gather information, so don't be in a hurry. The chief and I will be investigating mainly from the outside."

"Got it."

Miyamoto-san and Kojima-san have been using their existing connections to obtain information from other companies. Because Succeed is a major company, other companies are often aware of it. Moreover, there must be a segment of the market that is not comfortable with the company's authoritarian approach. If we can find them and get them on our side, we should be able to make some positive results.

It is unlikely that the Executive Director will expose any obvious weaknesses, but we may still be able to at least make a starting point. The first step is to give it a try.

While the conversation was going on, someone was looking down with folded arms, pondering.

"Buchou, are you all right? Your complexion is..."

Normally, he always maintains a healthy complexion, as his nickname, Takoyaki, suggests, but all through today, he remained a pale, bloodless complexion.

Buchou is always calm and a stabilizer of the 13th Department, but it is not surprising that he is experiencing some kind of unease due to the continuous upheaval.

"Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine, I haven't had any bad checkups, I'm in perfect health."

However, the smiling face of the person in question did not reveal any abnormality.

"I see. Then that's fine."

When I look at Buchou, who is stroking his forehead with his usual smoothness, I feel sorry for dragging him into this mess. Normally, he should have been able to spend a leisurely time in this quiet department, but he has been dragged into the whirlpool at once.

I want to quickly eliminate everyone's heartache and get everyone back to a situation where they can work normally.

For that reason, it was essential to move quickly.

"All right, let's get started, shall we?"

Seeing the nodding expressions on everyone's faces, I renewed my resolve.

On the desk was a proposal we had all put together. On its cover, the name "Project Grape" was written proudly, renamed by Sakurai-san, the planner.

The project name was a good metaphor for the idea of combining a number of projects into one large project that looked like a grape seed.

Project Grape was created by all of us. We will surely defeat the human plot to cut it down. We have taken the first step toward that end.


Part 3

The 13th Department meeting eventually lasted until late into the night.

The Odakyu train near the end of the line is packed with drunken passengers and office workers who have finished working late. Even though the train is not packed to the brim, the population density is clearly high, which increases discomfort.

But my consciousness was elsewhere than the situation on the train.

(I'm sorry. I'm kind of apologizing all the time, but that's really all I have to say.)

Messages sent in RINE.

It was from Kawasegawa Eiko, who was supposed to be my direct boss from now on.

(Don't worry about it. I've come this far, and I can't run away.)

While I replied anyway, I was concerned that she remained depressed for the rest of the day.

The 2nd Development Department is one of the top-ranked flourishing departments within Succeed. Many people consider this department to be the real ace of the game development department, rather than the original ace department, the 1st Development Department, which is dedicated to consumer games and has not been blessed with any recent hits.

However, that department is now embroiled in an internal power struggle and has become a very difficult position.

Kawasegawa's position was particularly difficult. Originally, she was a member of the reformist faction, but her ideology of developing software was often incompatible with those belonging to the old guard faction.

"It must be really hard"

As I look at RINE's message, which she still continues to apologize to me for, I think about her and the power that is above her.

Aside from her high level of competence, there were other significant reasons for her appointment as the head of the 2nd Development Department at such a young age. The existence of a person who strongly encouraged her. And that was also the cause of the current situation surrounding the 13th Department.

Matsuhira Kou. He is the son of the founder of Succeedsoft and is currently the Executive Director of the company. He is a man who is almost guaranteed to eventually become the president of the company.

In order to raise the 13th Development Department, which had been a dormant position, Executive Director Matsuhira was chosen as the key person. From the beginning, Kawasegawa, who knew him well, told me to be "really careful".

After a last-minute board meeting, we managed to "win". However, this victory was only the end of the rope, and it was not a situation that could be considered a relief.

"Tilt even a little and it will fall... wah wah."

The train braked suddenly and tilted forward sharply. Holding the strap, my body also leaned forward. An announcement was made apologizing for the sudden stop, and it was announced that the train would stop for a while. An air of "Oh dear" filled the air around me.

"It's just a matter of how far the suspension strap will hold."

Staring at the squeaky suspension straps, I think about the time limit. I don't know what the executive director is thinking, but there should still be some time left.

If so, we will take advantage of the time to make our move as well.

"—I have to fulfill my promise."

She said. There is something I want you to do.

I owe her a debt of gratitude for pulling up a mysterious man of unknown identity whom she met by chance that day. There is no way I will not do something she wishes. To do so, I must first build up my strength.

(I know you're in the midst of a lot of difficulties, but I'm looking forward to working with you)

I received a message from her. I assume she is referring to her work in the 2nd Development Dept.

(Yeah, I'll do my best. Kawasegawa, take care of yourself too)

As I replied to the message, the train started moving with a clunk. Three more stops to the nearest station. Then I would be free from this crowded train.

"We've got to free Kawasegawa somehow, too."

When I was working for a black company that did not pay well, I was envious of working at Succeedsoft. However, there were also hardships in the place I had longed for. Perhaps, there are troubles wherever you go.

But if I'm going to struggle, I'd rather be on the correct direction. Right now, we are not even at the starting line.

"I'll do it ... Absolutely."

At the end of the week, I would finally start working in the 2nd Development Department. Before the battle with that executive director, I had a lot of issues to deal with, how to face the new environment and find enough weapons to fight.

Beyond the train windows, countless lights could be seen. The dazzling city lights had the danger of sucking you in if you were not careful.

I would do whatever it took to survive and make the project I had created with everyone in the 13th Department come to fruition. I glanced back at the cluster of lights.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next