Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive.
Thank you for all the patrons Ilmi Sumitro, eduardo diaz, Erik Hartleben and Andres Ulloa.

Chapter 1 | Hopeless Day By Day | Remake our Life! ◄◄


Part 5

The meeting with Kawasegawa was over and we returned to our own seats.

Since it was just after the assignment, the space was empty except for PCs and documents, and the atmosphere was just beginning.

(Let's start with what I can do...)

I started up my PC and checked the tools for managing attendance. It was surprisingly smooth, as if I had been given the latest PC.

"Uwah, as expected."

It was different from the hand-me-down PCs from some other department that had been given to me in the 13th department.

As I proceeded to check the tools, I found that even attendance itself was free. It was a great opportunity for me to see how different a proper development job could be.

(I know it's obvious, but wow)

The other way to look at this, too, is how the 13th Department was treated as a quiet job.

Anyway, we have been transferred to another world, and we need to get used to this place as soon as possible. I started checking from today's operations, looking at the to-do list, scheduler, etc.

"Hmm...?"

I felt the presence of people behind me and turned around.

"Hashiba Kyouya-san, right?"

A tall, skinny man with rather bad eyesight was standing right behind my seat.

"Yes, what is it?"

When I answered, the man nodded,

"I am Kuroda Takayoshi. The Chief of the 2nd Development Department. Pleased to meet you"

It was rude to say, but he greeted me in a surprisingly polite manner. From the way he looked at me, I thought he was going to pick a fight with me.

"Ah, yes. Thank you very much for your kindness, it is nice to meet..."

I got up from my seat, bowed my head, and tried to greet him.

It was the next moment.

"—Coming in out of the blue and being a vice manager, this company, as usual, is doing some crazy nonsense."

Suddenly, his tone became abusive and he began a barrage of harsh words.

"Eh?"

"Because, isn't that so? You don't know this, but in Succeed's development department, there was originally no such thing as a vice manager. The position I'm in, chief, is supposed to be assisting the department manager, and that's the customary thing in every department."

It was true, as they say, that even in the 13th Department, Miyamoto-san was the chief under the department head, and there was no position of vice-manager.

I thought it was because of the small number of people in the 13th department. But apparently, from what he told me, that is not the case.

In other words, I seemed to have become a very troublesome presence, coming straight into the position he was in from the side, and being his boss in the title.

(He is done it, really)

Inwardly, I sighed heavily.

Of all the positions, this is the most controversial, and probably part of the harassment.

"But now I'm suddenly being forced to take this kind of personnel action, and frankly, I don't understand why. Are you the president's illegitimate son or something?"

This is another outrageous story that has been dumped on me.

But considering this unexplainable personnel situation, I thought it was understandable that he would feel that way. It must be that level of anomaly, this situation.

Looking around again, I saw that most of the people in the development department had risen from their seats to watch us with interest. And in the back of the room, there was Kawasegawa, who was sitting down but looking at us intently.

(This is what I mean.)

With her eyes, she seemed to be explaining things to me.

(I see)

The troublesome thing she mentioned earlier must have been this chief.

"Are you seriously asking that to me?"

"Of course I'm dead serious. When it comes to a son of a distinguished family, I'm going to have to put a "Handle With Care" tag on your seat."

It's a boldly quarrelsome attitude.

If I confronted this head on, I would see blood from day one.

I took a deep breath and used an extremely calm and conscious tone,

"I'm not like that. I'm not related to anyone, and I don't hold someone's weaknesses."

I told him only what was necessary.

He, a guy named Kuroda or something like that, looked at me with a glare, but eventually he exhaled,

"...... I see, if you say it's wrong, then it's either a whim or harassment by upper management. Then we're all victims of the same thing. I apologize."

Unexpectedly, he was easily convinced.

I wondered if the involvement of the executive director and other upper management was so terrible on a regular basis. His attitude and tone gave me a sense of giving up rather than being concerned.

"No, I'm sorry too. If there was a personnel change like this all of a sudden, it normally..."

The words I intended to connect were interrupted by Kuroda,

"Then let me ask you again... Do you like games?"

"Eh?"

Suddenly, he asked me a completely different question.

"It's a question as it is. The only people who come to Succeed's development, even to the flowery department, are those who have a deep-seated love of games, or those who were devoted to something. I heard that you didn't come here with a degree from an art school, an art college, or a vocational school, so I assumed that you liked games... Is it wrong?"

I didn't know for a moment what he was talking about.

"No, I like it ... So what is it?"

I stated the facts honestly, and he nodded lightly,

"Come on for a minute."

He then motioned for me to get up from my seat.

"What?"

"You'll understand when you come. I'm not looking for a fistfight."

Saying so, Kuroda walked toward the rest area. I guess he meant to say, "Follow me".

He probably didn't mean to resort to violence since he went out of his way to say so, but the atmosphere that was coming from him didn't seem very peaceful.

I followed Kuroda to the rest area and there was,

(Game console...?)

There were several monitors and a number of old and new game consoles. As one would expect from a video game company, there were command charts for famous fighting games, tournament tables, and a whiteboard that seemed to indicate the waiting list for the next round of games. However, since it was during working hours, there was no one here.

In the middle of it all, Kuroda took me to a relatively old video game hardware place. I wondered if he was going to have me play a fighting game against him.

"Here, try this"

Kuroda then put the software, which he seemed to have on his own, into the hardware and turned it on.

With a startup sound, a CG movie appeared on the screen. It depicted a rather old-fashioned-looking character fighting on a robot.

The title screen had not yet appeared, but I knew the game.

"Fighting Parade..."

"Hmph, so you really know the title"

Kuroda picked up the controller and held it out to me,

"There you go."

I'm urged to hold it.

"Got it."

I did as I was told, picked it up and sat down in front of the monitor.

Then I thought.

This Kuroda guy has a coarse language and bad eyesight, but that doesn't make him seem like he is just a rough guy. I get the impression that he thinks about a lot of things before he acts, much more than his appearance suggests.

Then, I don't think that he recommended the game simply to communicate with me. There must be no doubt that he prepared this place with some intention.

(I wonder what he wants?)

First Kuroda question, the controller that was given to me. The game is not a major title.

(This is a test)

This flow from the question "Do you like games?" I don't know if I'm right, but I think I can give him my own answer.

"Okay, let's get started."

He held up the controller and pressed the start button.

The movie is skipped and the title screen is displayed. Pressing start again as it was, the loading screen was displayed.

"Areh, the save data is"

I was about to say, "there" but stopped halfway.

Of the three saved data, only the top one had already been all-cleared, and a symbol indicating this was displayed at the edge of the window.

After I confirmed it, I pressed the reset button without saying anything.

"...... Hmm?"

I could see that Kuroda's face moved slightly.

The OP movie started again. This time I let it play without skipping it. When I got to the title screen, I pushed in the right analog stick and pressed the reset button again. Then I heard one of the members of the club who was watching say, "Ah!"

After playing the OP movie to the end again, and when the title screen appeared, I picked up the controller for 2P and handed it to Kuroda.

"...... What is it?"

"Can you press R2 and up at the same time?"

Kuroda nodded silently. I said, "One two go," and pressed R1 and Start at the same time. Then,

"Hmm?"

Kuroda reacted faintly.

The screen showed a different title screen than before. The "Fighting Parade" logo had turned pink, and the "Ver. β" sign was shining on the right side of the logo.

Kuroda was staring at the scene,

"Well done for doing it without looking."

He said in a tone that could be either stunned or impressed.

"Fighting Parade was not a well-known game to begin with, but it became a big hit only in Rokomi, and the so-called "beta mode" that spread through the Internet, which is an if-world of the main storyline created by the developers, spurred its popularity... I think." (Note: Online Reviews or word of mouth.)

I remembered those days.

Fighting Parade was a work that exploded in popularity not only because of the fun of the game itself, but also because of the interesting worldview, game system, and mysteries hidden in the characters, which all the users had to solve together.

So it was known that core game fans were particularly fond of this work, and I wondered if that was why Kuroda showed me this title.

"Yeah. Anyone who got into this game must have known about this mode. I thought, "If only I could try this command, even if I make some mistakes," but I never expected to reproduce it perfectly without looking at anything."

"I'm confident that I love games."

I laughed as I said that, though it was a little embarrassing. Kuroda, too, looked a mixture of nostalgia and happiness.

"If you can talk about this stuff, you can talk about that, right? You know, the "Let's play a game" type of project, right?"

"Of course! I read all about that dice rolling and jumping up and down and the developer's diary and everything."

"That was passionate, wasn't it? If you read that, that project is also..."

From there, it was now completely a conversation between two gamers, or rather, game lovers, including the industry. Kuroda was getting more and more into the minor things I didn't talk to people about, and I was so happy about that that I started talking to him about one topic after another.

And,

"...Sorry to interrupt this lively conversation, but can you get back to work now?"

I looked up in surprise at the quiet voice, and there was the amazed-looking Kawasegawa, the manager of the department.

I guess we had talked so much that I didn't even notice she had arrived.

"I am sorry, manager, excuse me!"

Kuroda saluted purposefully, and we followed along in a flippant manner.

Kawasegawa returned to her seat with an amazed but somewhat relieved look on her face.

In silence, a delicate air flows.

"Yes... then, well, that's how it is."

Kuroda scratched his head and walked straight to his seat.

"Areh, are we done... talking?"

When I say to his back, Kuroda stops walking for a moment,

"You got it, didn't you? I'm looking forward to working with you from now on, Hashiba."

When he called my name shyly but familiarly, I finally knew that I had passed the test.

.

Part 6

"Good grief, it's because you suddenly start doing things like that."

Without hiding her pouting face, Kawasegawa was munching on a meatball.

"Don't be so angry, I was concerned about the kind of guy who would show up."

It was the same Kuroda from earlier who was smiling bitterly and soothing her.

It was lunch with the four people, including me and Sakurai-san. The tense atmosphere was now filled with a friendly atmosphere.

"What's all this about an illegitimate child? I explained it to you, didn't I? I explained to you that he was assigned as a result of his good work in the 13th Department and that he had been recognized as such."

"No, I thought it was strange. I thought it was too much of a ready-made story, and that Kawasegawa was being forced into trouble again, and that discovery might have been the result of that."

"Even if that had happened, didn't I tell you honestly, Kuroda!"

"Is that so?"

"That's so!"

And then there was me and Sakurai-san, watching the two of them bicker with a blank looks on our faces.

"You two... got along very well."

Sakurai-san mumbled unintentionally,

"We're not getting along."

"We're not."

The two of them instantly replied in the denial. They seemed to be really close.

Kuroda Takayoshi. According to him, he and Kawasegawa were related from college, and since they happened to be assigned to the same department a few years ago, they trust each other as workmates.

"But, whenever Kuroda would get into a fight with the boss, I would be the one who would be called in to settle the matter."

"No, I'm grateful for that, somewhat."

Hihi, he laugh, I could not see the tension on Kuroda's face that I had seen when we first met. But if anything, the face I just saw is probably his true self.

"Kuroda, well, did you always like games only from the beginning?"

He shook his head at my question.

"No, I liked it, but it wasn't the only thing I liked. If anything, I was more into movies until my second year of college."

"This guy was really amazing, when he was in college."

Kawasegawa smiled wryly.

"What, Kawasegawa was pretty crazy, wasn't it? You called the other guys on the first-year team incompetent."

"I-I didn't say it that far! Well, they were too unmotivated to do it, and I lost my temper."

... Did they do something similar?

Anyway, it seems that until his second year, Kuroda had been studying with the intention of becoming a film producer, and had even gathered a group of friends with that intention.

"But I stopped. I've had enough with movies."

"It's... Why?"

"I wonder why. Well, maybe it's because I'm the only one doing my best. Is it called "single-person wrestling"? There was no one else, no one who was doing their best."

From what I have heard, Kuroda was a loner genius. He was not in the mood to get along with anyone, so I guess he gradually became isolated from the people around him.

'It was like that in the video area, so I came here thinking that there would be great guys in the game industry'. Kuroda said, looking sad.

If there were more people who could compete near each other, it might have been different.

"But, Manager ... wasn’t Kawasegawa that kind of person?"

When I asked, they looked at each other and smiled in a rather odd way.

"Kawasegawa was different, I guess. It was something slightly out of the genre."

"Now it's the other way around, but back then I was directing and Kuroda wanted to produce. Even when we met occasionally to talk, we would end the conversation by saying, "I understand that," because we were in different positions."

"Right. If we could have gone at each other more aggressively, maybe it would have been different."

I'm sure it would have been quite a terrifying sight if they had been bickering. It's enough to make everyone around them pull away.

"And then there was the fact that they were there. They were outstandingly talented."

At Kuroda's words, Kawasegawa also nods.

"Right. I didn't want to compete too much with my peers because of those guys."

"They are, could it be."

Although it was somewhat predictable,

"Yeah, platinum generation, is that what they are called? It's about them."

... As I thought, I see.

Even though I am now able to talk normally with Kawasegawa and the others, there are still times when I feel a high wall. That is when we talk about the creators of the platinum generation.

After all, it wasn't until I joined this company that I really got involved in the creative process. Of course, I had been working hard at my previous company, but the level of my efforts was far lower than that.

But they have spent their time so far in friendly competition with those top creators since they were students. The difference between them is obvious and will never be closed.

(It's frustrating. But I guess there's nothing I can do about all this.)

I clench my fists in my lap. I am reminded that the time that has passed is truly irrevocable.

"Speaking of which, has Hashiba and the others decided on a job?"

As Kuroda recalled, he asked Kawasegawa.

"It's not finalized yet, but it's been decided what they will do for now."

From the way she answered without hesitation, it seems it was right on schedule.

"So you're saying that the first step is to get involved with that thing after that."

"Right. I think a lot of people would be confused."

(That thing ... What is it?)

What in the world was he going to make me do? Or rather, that was what I was more concerned about.

"Well, from here on out it depends on your abilities."

Kuroda's eyes lit up.

"I understand that you like games and have a passion for them, but that's not the same thing as being able to do the job. Especially in our department, we have people who pay close attention to such things. You won't know if you're a good fit until you give it a try."

I see, it was Kuroda's test earlier, but from now on, it will really be tested in practice.

Well, I knew from the beginning that it was not a place for people who couldn't do the job, and it's not something I'm afraid of now.

"Yes, I'll do it, I'm not going to compromise either."

So, when I clearly tell them that,

"You say that. Well, you have to be that good to work in the 2nd Development Department."

Kuroda grinned in response.

.

Part 7

"...... So, was this what they were going to have me do?"

"I bet. Ah, Sakurai-san, check here too."

"Ah, yes, I'm sorry!"

Sakurai-san panicked and marked the items to be checked on the screen at hand.

We were assigned to manage the debugging work.

A past title that has already been developed and is being ported to other consoles. We used part-time workers to debug these titles, and our job was to check the progress, sort the reports that came in, and hand them over to the appropriate person.

It is the type of work that requires some judgment in the classification process, but, well, it is not very brain-intensive.

From the morning when I was eager to work on the front lines, I think it's safe to say that the content is ...... a bit of a letdown.

"Listening to what you just said, I thought."

Sakurai-san sighed as she handed the checklist.

"As I thought, Hashiba-san is amazing. Even when you were challenged by Kuroda-san, Hashiba-san was very open and composed, and afterwards you talked to him in a casual manner. I was like an ornament even though I was in the same room."

"Because otherwise I would not have been able to proceed. I was scared, too."

I answer with a wry smile.

When I first joined this floor, I honestly wondered if I would be able to make it in this department. The staff did not react well when I spoke to them, and the atmosphere was somewhat distant. Even though Kawasegawa was being very attentive to me, I was worried that I would have to work very hard.

That is why I was so grateful that Kuroda made contact with me in an easy-to-understand manner. Once they made contact with us, the rest was up to us.

(Now that I think about it, maybe that was his way of showing concern.)

The "gameplay" was a bit, or rather, quite exaggerated.

Well, that was a good way to get to know Kuroda, and it must have been worth all the hard work.

"So, let's just get the job done here."

I checked off the sheets that were passed around from Sakurai-san and put them in a box destined for the person in charge.

"But this job is plain, isn’t it?"

Sakurai-san mumbles somewhat dissatisfied. Well, at this stage, it's not so different from what we used to do in the previous Department 13.

(Well, there is no way we can suddenly be entrusted with the core of development.)

Perhaps they want us to start from a place where we don't have to be fussy until we gradually become accustomed to it.

However, I thought it was quite a challenge to hit a new assignment when they suddenly make you work like you did at your old place of work.

"I wonder if he's a sadist... When I look at his work, he looks like a masochist."

"Eh, what are you talking about?"

"No, it's nothing. For now, let's just work solemnly today."

Open the accumulated bug reports from the end.

I looked around and noticed that the place was quiet, as if no one was there. The development profession is a kind of special workplace, so the staff was allowed to chat with each other, and in fact, they were encouraged to do so, as it was a good opportunity for them to come up with ideas.

However, this was not the case in the 2nd Development Department where I am now. Everyone quietly did their part of the work and quietly left when they were done. There were supposed to be about 20 people in the team, but I felt that the number was less than half.

(I was imagining something more, you know, lively.)

There is always a difference between imagination and reality, not only here but everywhere. What I felt may be one of them.

After that, we spent the rest of the day debugging, repeating the reporting and categorization process endlessly. There was no welcome party or meeting, and both Sakurai-san and I left the office as usual that day.

"It was kind of anticlimactic"

Sakurai-san, who had been expecting something to happen, was twisting her head as she exited the building.

"I was under the impression that these kinds of things usually lead to a drinking party, but nothing happened, and I had the impression that the manager didn't mind that kind of thing either."

Indeed, Kawasegawa normally drank alcohol and was not the type to avoid drinking.

"And there was the usual workload. Maybe it'll be planned again at a later date."

I was a little caught up with what was said in the meeting room, but I solved the problem by getting to know Kuroda, and once I get used to it, I will be able to communicate normally with the other members.

"Well then, see you tomorrow."

"Yes, Hashiba-san, be careful!"

Waving her hands like a child, Sakurai-san boarded the train on the other side.

I took a deep breath as I watched her go.

"In the end, we didn't talk about Grape."

Our goal is just to get one part of the project, "Project Grape," through with a budget. However, as of today, we were not even at the beginning of the road, let alone halfway there. I guess that's the way it is in a department thrown in without any preamble, but the fact that I can't do any development-like work makes me feel uneasy.

"I wonder if I'll have enough time."

I can't help asking myself that question, and at the same time, I can't help but mumble it to myself.

As I boarded the train to Shinjuku, I was overwhelmed with unspeakable anxiety.

.

Part 8

"Yes, then please get me a replacement fluorescent light."

"Got it~. I count on yo~u."

Yoisho, I said and reached out and received a new fluorescent light bulb from Ichikawa-san in place of the one I had removed.

And now I reached up and installed the new one.

"Thank you so much~, I'm so clumsy that I couldn't remove or attach it properly, and If I called my father, he would be stunned, so I couldn't do that either~"

I can hear Ichikawa-san's fluffy voice from below.

"Well, I can help you with this as much as you want..."

On my way home, I received a RINE from Ichikawa-san. The content was that she wanted to change the fluorescent light in the apartment using a stepladder, and wondered if I could help her.

Ichikawa-san is not short, in fact she is rather tall, but she does not have good motor skills or a good sense of balance, and I heard that she almost fell when climbing a stepladder once.

Okay, I'll meet you outside your apartment, I replied and now we're here.

"I'd like to thank you in some way, what would you like?"

Ichikawa-san said and turned her sparkling eyes toward me.

"No, it's not that big of a deal."

"No! That would be too apologetic... I know."

She clasped her hands together,

"Would you come to my place? I have something for you there~."

"Ha, haa."

Despite the softness of the atmosphere, I felt that she was not going to let me say anything, and Ichikawa-san took me to her place.

Ichikawa-san lived just a few minutes' walk from where the apartment was located. I thought she was living with her parents who were running the business, but she was living normally on her own.

"My parents wanted me to stay at home forever, but I thought that would corrupt me~. That's why I'm living here."

A two-story, four-family, 2DK apartment. It seemed like a very normal place to live, even though I had heard that she was the owner's daughter and also worked at the same time.

(It was something different from what I imagined.)

Somehow, I had the impression that she was a young lady, so this commoner feel was unexpected.

But when I was shown into the room, in a sense, my impression was further reversed.

"Excuse me, wah, what is this?"

The room was a bit of an odd sight, so much so that I couldn't help but say it out loud.

"I'm sorry, I'm in the middle of studying~. I have to do it this way or I won't remember."

Ichikawa-san smiled wryly.

The room was covered with a great number of sticky notes. Every one of them had a word and its meaning written on it.

"Is this German?"

"Right. Hashiba-san, are you familiar with it?"

I shook my head. Unfortunately, the only words I know are Kugelschreiber and Katze.

"I'm studying in a hurry because my job requires it, it's tough."

"Heh..."

I've heard that it's very different from English, but I really don't think it's true.

When I was in university, a second foreign language was compulsory, so German was actually one of the choices. However, I remember receiving appropriate advice from a senior who was taking the course, "Don't do it because you won't be able to remember the words and it will kill you," and I ended up changing to Chinese.

I could easily get away with it in college, but when I have to actually learn on the job, there is no way to escape, and it is very difficult. I shudder to think what would happen to me.

"This is a tough one to study... If it were me, I wouldn't know where to start."

When I said so, Ichikawa-san laughed,

"So did I~. I didn't know where to start."

"Isn't it?"

When I agreed, Ichikawa-san had a strangely firm tone,

"But there are no shortcuts, so you have to do it anyway. That much has already been decided~."

"... Is it decided?"

She nodded,

"Yes. Whatever it is, those who are moving forward, even if only a little bit at a time, are stronger."

Her tone was one of determination, or rather, a strong will.

"A joke, that's not something you'd expect from someone who's fallen off a stepladder ~"

"No, uhm, I think it's very admirable."

Ichikawa-san smiled softly,

"Fufu, thank you~ Kyouya-san"

"It's Hashiba."

"Uwh~~~You won't allow that here~"

While pouting her lips in dissatisfaction, she handed me a bag of vegetables, saying, "Here, take this".

The vegetables that her parents were growing at home, such as cabbage and tomatoes, far exceeded the amount that could be given back by replacing the fluorescent light bulbs.

"I have to give something back to her... if not, it won't be fair."

As I walked down the road to my house with the bag dangling, I remembered Ichikawa-san's words earlier.

The person who moves forward, even if only a little bit at a time, is stronger. This theory may have led her to the idea that it is better to learn even a single word when she has time to think about it. And that seems to be right from my point of view.

"It's hard to do, isn't it?"

No matter what we do, the moment we first get started is a moment of hesitation. Where is the shortest and most effective place to start? But in many cases, while we are wondering like that, the person who has built up little by little from the first move has finally gone ahead of us.

I do not know what kind of experience Ichikawa-san has built up in her career, but perhaps there was someone in the past who surpassed her in that way. Frustrating experiences are etched into the body.

I stared at my palm. The victory that had almost been in my grasp had now fled far away. I don't even know where to go to get it.

"But there is a way to get closer."

I clench my hands and breathe out heavily.

Right, even though I originally started from nothing, I may have been a little devious and presumptuous.

"I'll have to put up some sticky notes too."

With the vegetables I had received and the words of gratitude in my heart, I hurried back home.

.

Part 9

Two weeks later.

In the conference room, I gathered Kawasegawa, Kuroda, and other staff members involved in debugging in the 2nd Development Department.

"Thank you for taking the time to see us."

As I bowed my head, Kuroda was the first to speak.

"What are you doing getting everyone together all of a sudden? The whole department is busy, and we don't have much time to stop"

"I understand from the last few days on the job that time is of the essence for the 2nd Development Department."

"Hou, so that's what you're talking about"

I nodded and handed out the materials to everyone.

"To put it bluntly. The debugging we are doing right now is wasting a lot of time."

A murmur arose among the assembled staff.

"What do you mean by "wasting"? You know that debugging is a very important part of the game development process."

"Of course. It's important, and that's why I don't want to take up too much time."

"What?"

In response to Kuroda's question, I flipped through my materials and began to explain.

"The way we do debugging now, there are too many things that stop us in the middle of the process."

Although a minimum number of items were checked, the current report sheet had too large a free-writing section, and too many differences in information transmission appeared depending on the ability of the reporter.

In this way, even if a large number of debuggers are called, the accuracy will be uneven.

"Instead of just playing the test in the dark, we divided the teams according to their progress and the items and flags they had acquired, and we changed the way they reported on their progress."

Here is the improvement plan that Sakurai-san and I presented.

First, I divided the game into several progressions in terms of flag management. Since the game I am playing now was an RPG with a so-called single route route, I divided the game into three teams in the first half middle and second half, and further divided the teams by items, sub-events, and levels among them.

On top of that, the report sheet was also reorganized into smaller sections, so that each of the three teams could identify important checkpoints and focus on them in their reports.

Furthermore, in the free-writing remarks section, we made them check some items first before writing, which should speed up the classification process considerably.

Sakurai-san explained with materials in her hands, and concluded with the following words.

"If we subdivide the information this much, it will be harder for different debuggers to differ, and it will be easier to understand the conditions under which bugs occur and what needs to be improved. It will also make it easier to understand the conditions under which bugs occur and what needs to be improved ... What do you think?"

The conference room fell silent. Everyone was nodding their heads, intently reading the materials at hand. Almost no one had a negative view.

In the midst of all this, Kuroda quietly raised his hand.

"So the goal is to manage the reports of test players from upstream and make sure they flow smoothly."

"That's right. That's the main objective in this proposal, to save time that could be used for other tasks."

Several voices of agreement rose from the staff. I gave Sakurai-san a look that signaled, "That went well."

(Now I think I'm getting to the point where I can post a sticky note)

I've prepared to do my best in personnel affairs, so the rest is destiny.

.

Part 10

In the 2nd Development Department, only the area where the manager's desk is located is slightly separated from the rest of the staff. The area is separated by partitions, so one-on-one conversations are possible if one speaks in a whisper.

"Kawasegawa, are you there?"

Then Kuroda showed up. He came to the side of my seat and suddenly got down to business.

"I understand your aim."

Looking at the floor where the other staff members are,

"The development guys, they all gossip about Hashiba and Sakurai. They're all saying, "Where did they get these guys from? From the 13th Department? What a lie"."

I was relieved to hear that.

As Kuroda once said, the only way to convince our staff, who are highly capable creators, is to let them know by the content of their work.

That's why I gave two of them the task of improving the debugging team, which no one had bothered to do, and we'll see how it goes.

The results are out. Now there will be no more voices saying that they are the personnel push-in by the Executive Director.

"I guess I've succeeded in getting them admitted, at least. So, what is your opinion, Kuroda?"

When I asked, he smiled wryly, "You know that, don't you?",

"No wonder Kawasegawa wants him. He is able to carefully untangle and organize complicated matters, and he is also very articulate. He's really good as a production manager, that's for sure"

I nod honestly.

"—So, what are you going to do? Are you going to get him involved too?"

"I intend to. I think he, too, will understand. Are you ... disagree?"

"No, he's perfectly competent and has the personality to do it. I just don't know if it's okay for him to get involved in something that messy."

I thought that was right. It pains me to have him involved in such a messy situation. But if I was asked if there was any other way to make things better, I had to say no.

.

Part 11

As we had hoped, the debugging process improved dramatically. The program team was grateful, and more importantly, the part-timers who were actually in charge of test play were very pleased with the results.

While I was discussing the results with Sakurai-san, I suddenly received a call from Kawasegawa to come outside. The reason for the call was to be discussed later.

Twisting my neck, I left the building and walked toward the train station, wondering what the matter was.

The restaurant that Kawasegawa appointed was a small café about a few minutes' walk from the office. It was not elegant, just old, not very fashionable, and had few customers.

(I'm sure it's because she's worried about the public eye)

I knew that if it was a normal business matter, it should have been done in the conference room, but by taking the trouble to call me outside, I was sure there must be something going on, though.

"I'm sorry to call on you so suddenly."

At the seat to which I was shown, Kawasegawa apologized first.

"It's okay. The subject matter is ... work?"

"Yes. And that's something that's a little hard to talk about openly."

After ordering two hot coffees, Kawasegawa spoke in a more hushed voice as the waitress withdrew to the back.

"Hashiba, I'll tell you what I wanted to ask you right here and now."

—It can't be.

At this timing, to say something so important.

"That's what you said all along, right?"

Kawasegawa nodded silently.

The conversation I had with her in front of her room the day I had that discussion with the Executive Director. What she wanted me to do.

What is this about?

"You know about a project we've been working on for a long time."

"Of course I know."

MysClo or "Mystic Clockwork" is a huge project involving the platinum generation. It has been the talk of the industry since it was first announced, and even though not much new information has been released, it has always been at the center of the news. And it was also a project that had been so much trouble from the upper management that Kawasegawa even said she wanted it to be over as soon as possible.

"I need your help with MysClo."

It was a straightforward request.

"When I heard you were coming to the 2nd Dept, I felt really sorry, that I had gotten you involved. But at the same time, I also thought that someone with that kind of enthusiasm would be able to handle a title like MysClo very well."

Kawasegawa's tone was calm. That is why the words reached me, and I was convinced that she was serious about what she was saying to me.

"I... MysClo"

I shuddered involuntarily. Somewhere, I thought it was far, far away, no, in fact, that MysClo should have been far, far away, but now it was right in front of me.

Of course, my goal is still to realize the Grape. I don't forget that for a moment. But the realization that what I had longed for was so close to me has reawakened my spirit.

(If it weren't for this situation, I would have been happier.)

The reason she came to me. It was because the executive director had stalled the project. If it weren't for the problems within the company, it would have been a title that should have been made more firmly.

Since I, who had just joined the company and whose identity was not yet clear, was being asked to talk about it, the situation must have been quite critical.

"As I said before, the project has already been taken over by many people and is about to become something that will never be the same again. I, too, wanted to finish it as soon as possible to make things easier."

It's not unreasonable.

It is understandable that Kawasegawa would gradually grow tired of having a title she was so passionate about, which she and her classmates were trying to create, exploited and scratched by the politics of the upper management. If I were in Kawasegawa's position, I am sure I would not have been able to stand it.

"Long ago, when the current project was launched, this department was full of vitality. Everyone was excited about making something good."

A deep sigh.

"But now there are no more traces of that. Everyone is only thinking about getting their part of the work done. The arrival of you does not increase their motivation. There is an atmosphere of resignation among them, as if nothing will change in the project itself."

The atmosphere I felt when I joined this department. So it wasn't a timing thing or anything, it was something that this current situation was creating.

"It would be cool to say that I did my best, but in the end, I didn't have the power."

Kawasegawa's expression was filled with sadness.

"Kuroda was very cooperative with me and he even snapped at the upper management. But I'm still despairing that I'm powerless, and I'm already thinking about leaving the company."

"He is ... You got that far, huh?"

Even those who had spoken so much about their passion for the game and its contents have been demotivated.

This story makes me think about the meaning of a company.

"I was really getting you into a lot of trouble. So I even told you that you should quit. But."

Kawasegawa looks straight at me.

Her dignified expression would not allow me to run away.

"Please lend me your strength to our project. I want you to help us create a lively workplace with everyone once again, and help us create the works."

"All right, I'll be glad to help.."

Since the job had originally come about through her generosity, I had hoped to return the favor at some point. Besides, there was no way I could refuse her offer when she expressed such a strong desire.

"—Thank you. It's reassuring to hear you say that."

There is only one thing that bothers me, and that is...

"And, of course, the realization of Project Grape. I'm sure that's very important to you."

For a moment, I hesitated whether to say it, but she told me first.

"You saw right through me. As expected of you"

"It's a good project. I would like to make it happen."

It was great that we were able to get her cooperation. She would not have been opposed to the project in the first place, but having her make a clear statement like this made it easier for us to move forward.

"On top of that, I'd like to talk about what we're going to do..."

I listened intently to Kawasegawa. She continued to talk quietly about what she wanted me to do, flipping through the materials with a careful hand.

And by the time I was done listening, I was a little bit, in my heart, on the verge of tears.

No, in terms of content, I couldn't be more honored, but in terms of difficulty, the job was incomparably more challenging than any of my previous jobs.

(Kawasegawa ... is quite merciless.)

I sighed softly, trying not to let her know that I was thinking of the possible accidents that might happen in the future.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next