Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Chapter 24

"......Urghhh!"

When I woke up, it seemed that lunchtime was passed. I stuttered and patted the area near my neck.

This is not a dream. Last night I actually fell asleep.

I woke up staggered and looked at myself in the mirror and was shocked. There was a purple bruise there.

I got goosebumps all over my body. I wasn't aware of this kind of killing intent, and I didn't even realize who it was.

Who!? Who is that!?

Since half of his face was melted, the culprit definitely wouldn't be fine. I have to find him before I die...

......

"Cold!"

I sat up, coughed, and spat something out. Dark red blood dripped down my chin. That's normal.

I'm a wizard who doesn't even need to cast a spell. Only with a high level of concentration can I use magical power freely.

But that also means the risk is high. I can't do like what happened last night. Compared to counterattacks, my actions actually eroded my own vitality.

"......I will kill you."

How can I rest comfortably in a luxurious Manor with someone trying to kill me? I got up from my seat. I gently wiped my lips with the edge of my sleeve. The bright red lips that contrasted with the pale skin, looked odd.

When my life is threatened, I go crazy. 'How dare you!' I repeated those words hundreds of times in my mind.

'How dare you try to kill me! How dare you try to kill me! How dare...'

......

Too bad I don't know whose voice it was. No problem. All I have to do is look for and find the man with the burn on his face in this Manor.

If I were to walk around with strangle marks exposed like this, there would be a lot of people asking questions. I took off my bloodstained dress.

As if nothing had happened. Yes, as usual. I thought so and took out a new dress and put it on.

Wearing a dress that covers my neck, I look very beautiful. I couldn't do anything to my pale face.

I'm going downstairs. There were a few servants I met along the way, but they all seemed fine. Even if I looked at them with suspicious eyes, they just approached me and said, "Miss, what's wrong?"

"......Alex?"

I asked the butler who had scolded several maids at the front door earlier. The butler who seemed taken aback by my sudden appearance sharpened his voice.

"Master went to the village early in the morning on urgent business."

"Then Claude?"

"He left earlier than Master, he said his fellow investigators have contacted him."

"......Hah?"

I chuckled. Both of them have low voices. Those are the two men I suspect the most.

I don't know about Claude, but it's not surprising that Alexander tried to kill me. He was sure that I was the one who killed his father.

What if all his actions towards me until now were just a way to get me to let my guard down? Alexander could have tried to harm me before the other investigators arrived, but......

I don't know. Yesterday we had a fight. It could be that he couldn't contain his emotions and came to me. The odds are pretty good.

"Is there something strange about him?" I asked the Butler.

How many people can last until the morning with a melting face?

"Something strange?"

"Don't make me ask twice."

"......"

The Butler frowned slightly as if he didn't like my attitude. I've been wondering,

Even if he doesn't accept it, I'm still a 'Miss' that he serves in this Family. As if sensing my anger, magical power spreads in the air and surrounds me.

"I didn't meet them in person, so I don't know. The only thing that's different from usual is that the two of them left in a hurry.... ...Oh, and the supervisor—"

I'm starting to get annoyed when I talk about it. I cut off the Butler speak.

"As a butler what do you know!? I really don't like it."

"......Miss."

The Butler clearly showed how bad I felt. I giggled and laughed.

"Oh! Now, I am a 'Miss'?"

"......"

"You. Be careful."

I realized that even if I kept quiet, I would still be angry. I've also learned, that I have to finish off the culprit first before I get killed.

I left the bewildered butler behind and headed out. The cold air enveloped the thin dress I was wearing. Quickly, my fingers swelled up.

After confirming that the culprit wasn't the servants I met at the Manor, it was time for me to search the stables, training ground, and pavilion. Actually, this is useless. Is there a reason for a servant I've never had anything to do with suddenly attack me?

"......Urgh, this is really stupid." Oh, how cute.

I already guessed who the culprit was, and instead, I wandered around the Manor like this because I didn't want to believe my guess. I can only wait patiently in the room for them to come back.

But can I stay still? I can barely steady myself.

So I kept going back and forth in the vast Duke's Manor. I asked if any of the servants had been accidentally injured and if any of the servants had suddenly taken time off.

"No, I haven't heard anything about it......"

Every time I get an answer like that, I feel like I'm falling into a hole. That's embarrassing.

Finally, I'm tired. The Pavilion that I haven't visited isn't far, but I chose to return to the Manor.

Then, at one place, I stopped walking. This is where Henrietta was found buried. Snow continued to fall throughout the night, and snow piled up like a mountain where her body was found.

"Here......"

Are you dead? Henrietta.

I know it. I almost died too. Maybe by Alexander.

I squatted down and rubbed my eyes. That said, this snow mound looks higher than the other mounds. As if someone had done it on purpose.

Even though it was very cold, I was sweating from feeling the tension. I scraped it by hand several times.

And mutters, "Is that so?"

'Since when have you been doing this?' I thought suddenly. There is someone waiting for me, buried in the snow. His frozen eyelashes fluttered open.

Kwaak! He grabbed my neck again.

I was so happy when I found out who the strong man was after me. I'm so happy I can't hold it in.

No. That is not.

It's not Alexander.

When I found out, an immense sense of joy filled me. Claude, with more than half of his face, became ugly, looking at me.

He grinned, his eyes glistening. Even when I saw all that, I felt relieved.

It's not Alexander!

"You......"

I struggled to open my mouth and stuttered out. Claude kept moaning while lifting one corner of his mouth.

Then I remembered that face. I think that smile is a smile I've seen somewhere.

"Do you know Mr. Cameron?"

Claude asked in a low voice. I wanted to nod my head, but his grip was too strong.

What if I know? Why if I don't know? He was my mother's second husband.

"How could you not know? He was also a father to you once. By the way, how was my gift? I want you to feel it. I want you to feel a little scared, but instead, you feel comfortable, even sleeping on your back. Yes, that's me. That maid knew my identity. So I killed her. So she wouldn't get in my way."

I feel my neck is going to break, I can't breathe. I smiled, wanting to laugh out loud. Claude who had half his face destroyed saw my smile.

"Smile? Happy? Are you enjoying this situation? Tell me, come on!"

There is no such thing as a true madman. How can you raise your voice when you're choking me like this? I slowly reached out and grabbed his arm.

"Why? Trying to use that damn magic again? Oh, no way. Yesterday I was a bit impatient, so today I brought this thing."

Claude ruffled my arm and showed me a necklace with a black gem the size of a fingernail.

Ah! An anti-magic necklace that blocks magic.

He squinted his eyes and started laughing. As if he couldn't stand it because it was so much fun, he rambled on.

"As long as I have this, I don't need to worry. Now, should I cut off a finger of yours? You couldn't just walk away after killing my father so painfully, could you? Do you think so too? I feel sick too. I shouldn't have visited you like that yesterday. I should have relaxed a bit more. If only that maid didn't find out."

"Kheuk! Kheuk!"

Instantly I coughed, coughing up blood. For a moment, he released me.

By the way, Claude was wrong. It wasn't me who killed his father.

“Haa, haa, Father, you say……?”

I asked holding my neck. This is shocking! Does that knight have a son?

It was obvious that Claude was the same age as me. Maybe a little older than me. How could someone at such a young age become a First Class Investigator? I should have wondered about that from the start.

The answer is too easy. Pay attention to Alexander. That's why I don't have time to think about what's going on and what's around me.

Even I didn't know that Henrietta was working so hard. How annoying is that? I shouldn't have been like that. I want to play a little. Before blowing out the candles for this madman.

"Yes, Father. My father. I was born an illegitimate child, so I'm not in the right position to call him father. I was thrown into an orphanage right after I was born. My mother is also in no position to raise me. Even so, my father will come to see me from time to time and brings me clothes to wear. I also get benefits. That's very good. It's because I can see my father. But one day, suddenly my father stopped coming. Do you know why?"

"......"

"Why didn't you answer me!?"

Claude tried to kick me in the stomach angrily. It was the way he spoke and behaved as if he didn't grow up as a child. I jumped and rolled to the side. Fortunately, my dress was only slightly torn.

"You're avoiding? You're avoiding it? Oh, it's okay because this is the beginning. After all, it's all because my father got married. To your mother!"

Claude muttered sullenly. A really strange facial expression, his half-face, from time to time change. I'd rather melt it all over his face. I don't even have to dream to do it.

"Yes, I was abandoned. Because of you, Mother and Daugther. At first, I thought it might be possible. After all, I was born as an unwanted being......"

Suddenly he burst into tears. Instead of moving away from me, Claude kicked off the snow that had accumulated nearby.

"But why do I have to live like this? Why do I have to accept all this? This is embarrassing! Don't you think so too!?"

He cried again then laughed again. His teary eyes were filled with anticipation. No matter how many anti-magic necklaces Claude wore, he shouldn't assume that he was the strongest.

If he takes off the necklace…… I shook my head slowly.

"......Not too."

"Shut up!"

Claude walked towards me. His ugly hands held my hair. I tilted my head, and from far away I could see someone running wildly.

"I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I couldn't forgive you! I grew up without a father and I became like this! Didn't you live in such a nice place? I can't forgive you! I can't forgive you! I can't forgive— ......Hey, where are you looking?"

Claude tried to look away, following my gaze. Taking advantage of that, I bit his thigh as hard as I could. The fishy taste of blood, who knows whose it was, touched the tip of my nose.

"Ouch! That hurts! Can't you shut up!?"

He grabbed my neck again. Saliva mixed with blood dripped from my mouth.

So you've come to me for revenge? How did you hide such a fierce personality until now? I only saw him as a very polite investigator……

"Die! Die! Can't. I'm trying to play around, but this is bad! Die!"

Claude shouted. This time, he sincerely showed his killing intent. Two strong hands pressed against me. I grabbed his arm with trembling hands. Claude laughed out loud.

"No. How is that useful? Even though you are a great wizard, what can you do now? Dead is still dead! Dead! Dead! Died! ......Arghhhh!"

Oops!

The large longsword hit Claude's shoulder. I breathed quickly, I was released from his grip. I live!

"Arghh! It hurts! It hurts! Father!"

Claude cried and tried to pull the sword from his shoulder. But the longsword stabbed deeper and deeper into his body, making the sound of bones breaking.

"Stop! Stop! Arghhh!!"

I opened my half-closed eyes when I heard Claude's scream. A dark shadow was approaching.

"......I'm late, Sis. Don't forgive me."

How could I mistake the owner of this sweet voice for the person who tried to kill me yesterday? I guess I wouldn't be thinking such crazy things if I wasn't in such a bad mood.

Alexander looked at me breathlessly. I could tell just by looking into his eyes that he wanted to hug me till I break.

"Sorry."

Isn't that a very boring word? With that in mind, I glanced at Claude. He groaned in pain with his head down on the ground.

Well, so...

Who will die now?

I smiled brightly.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?