Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

I open a commission to translate a novel. If you are interested, click on this Ko-Fi or this Patreon (Please read the description carefully and contact me first before joining membership)

6, Student Council President and Previous Student Council President


 For a while, I was in such a state that I was looking for the next words to say, but it was in vain.

 The door to the student council room suddenly flung open.
 When I turned my gaze in that direction, Ike and the other student council members had just returned.

"Hmm, Yuuji and Touka. What’s wrong, you two? ...Wait, Taketori-senpai? ...You came."

 Ike, who had entered the student council room, looked at the three of us and asked.
 
 He was smiling as usual, but I didn't miss the slight agitation behind his smile.
 What in the world does that mean?

"Well, it's the first day after the summer break. I'll at least show my face. ...But I'm going home today! I came all this way, and you guys just went away without saying a word to me!"

“We were all having lunch because it was the first day after the summer break and therefore we were determined to do our best once again.”

 The one who said that was Tanaka-senpai, who was in the same third year as Taketori-senpai.
 When Taketori-senpai heard his words,

"I'm the only one left out, and you all have lunch together...!?"

 She was blatantly upset.

“That's because Taketori-senpai basically skips student council meetings and ignores our calls, so we didn't call you out because we thought you would ignore us even if we invited you anyway.”

 Tatsumiya, the vice president, said with a cold expression on her face.
 After seeing this, Taketori-senpai cowered her shoulders and said, "Well, it can't be helped",

"Anyway, I'm going home for today!"

 See you later.
 After saying that, Taketori-senpai heads for the exit.
 Tatsumiya and Tanaka-senpai looked at her back with amazement.
 Suzuki says,

"Are you leaving already? It would be great if Taketori-senpai could help me."

 She asked her behind her back,

"No. With Haruma, Otome, and Tanaka, there would be no paperwork problems."

 She said coldly,

"What about me―!?"

 Suzuki muttered dissatisfiedly.

 After seeing Suzuki like that and laughing happily,

“Then, you there, Kouhai-kun and Touka, see you later!”

 She said so to us.
 I quietly nod my head and Touka responds, "Thanks for your hard work."
 Seeing that, Taketori-senpai, with a look of satisfaction on her face, left the student council room without further ado.

 That person really doesn't do anything...
 I was inwardly surprised, but I was even more surprised when I suddenly turned my gaze to Ike.

 What happened, somehow Ike had a moment of relief because Taketori-senpai was gone.
 He may have noticed my gaze, because he looked impatient for a moment and then,

"Good grief, she's a really troublesome person."

 He smiled vaguely and then muttered so.
 Unsure of what to say, I muttered a small, "I guess so."

 I wonder if he is personally uncomfortable with Taketori-senpai?
 I can't imagine a perfect superman Ike having such a weakness.

"Touka-san, it has been a long time since we last met. It's nice to see you from the first day after the summer vacation."

“O-Otome-chan. Hello"

 My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Touka's voice smiling affectionately, "Ahaha".
 When I looked... I saw that Tatsumiya, with a happy expression on her face, was holding Touka's hand and greeting her. The ulterior motive was completely obvious, and Touka was pulling away.

 I was just about to offer help to the bewildered Touka,

"It's been a long time, Tomoki-kun. Taketori-san said so, but it is sometimes difficult to have one less student council officer practically in charge. You've been helping us all semester, but I hope you'll be happy to help us again, if only in your spare time."

"Tanaka-senpai, please don't make an effort to secure manpower so soon. I think you would be more likable here if you didn't look so eager."
 
 Tanaka-senpai and Suzuki spoke to me with cheerful expressions on their faces.
 Seeing such an exchange between the two of them,

"... If you are happy with me, I am always willing to help. Please feel free to contact me."

“Waah, you succeeded in securing the manpower, Tanaka-senpai, you did it!”

"I thought you said I shouldn't show my impatience?"

 Hearing my words, Suzuki happily raised both hands towards Tanaka-senpai.
 Tanaka-senpai was dumbfounded and high-fived her.
 ... They are doing an idiot couple. I looked at them with cold eyes.

"Yuuji. You came to the student council room, so you must have some business right? I'm sorry for keeping you waiting."

 This time, Ike approached me with a somewhat apologetic expression on his face.
 
"It's not that I'm here for some business. It's just that I've been indebted to the student council since the first semester. I just thought I'd come by to at least say hello. I'm sorry for the suddenness."

 When I said that, Ike rolled his eyes and then chuckled.
 This casual gesture accelerates his handsome appearance. Tatsumiya is currently engrossed in a conversation with Touka, but if she had seen this smile, she would surely have seen a heart mark in her eyes.

"You're quite disciplined, Yuuji."

 I was embarrassed by the kindly look he gave me,

"... Leave it"

 I said sulkily.
 Then I asked him about Taketori-senpai.

"... Even so. She is a very free spirited person, Taketori-senpai is."

“There is no doubt that she is an excellent person, though.”

 Ike replied with a wry smile.
 And then, with a startled look on his face,

"Yuuji, what did you and Taketori-senpai talk about?"

 With a somewhat serious expression on his face, Ike said.

"That person was the student council president in the first year, but she lost that position to Ike, and there were even a few tidbits about Tatsumiya always talking about Touka."

 As expected, I couldn't say that I heard she said about Ike mention that I was a good man. I don't have that kind of tough mentality.

 Hearing my words, he breathed a sigh of relief.
 As I wondered what was wrong, Ike, whose expression had now hardened, opened his mouth.

"Taketori-senpai, she is definitely an excellent person, but... She has a bit of a personality problem. I don't like to say this, but... If you don't treat her with the proper distance, you're in big trouble."

 Hearing those words, I was stunned.
 I had never imagined that such words would come out of Ike's mouth.

"What the kaichou said is a bit misleading. In Tomoki-san's case, it would be better not to get involved with that person as much as possible. ...For the time being, this is meant as advice."

 Tatsumiya said this to me, as if she had somehow heard our conversation.
 By the way, Touka took shelter next to me.

“So you're saying that Taketori-senpai actually has a very bad personality, and that we should stay away from her?”

 Touka must have heard the conversation too,

"Rather than saying that she has a bad personality, but that she's too single-minded "Yes, I'm a failure."... No, well, that's one way to look at it, isn't it?"

 Tatsumiya follows Ike's words.
 I've never seen Tatsumiya talk so badly about anyone other than me, or Ike, who's somehow vague.
 Taketori Kaguya. Who is she...?
 When I think so,

“By the way, Tomoki-san. You do remember that tomorrow is the first test after the summer break, right?”

 I was called by Tatsumiya.
 Although it is not a regular test, the test will be held for three days starting tomorrow to see how well the students have performed in their self-study during the summer vacation.
 However, the scary part is that, just like regular tests, the top ranks in the grade are posted.

"Yes, of course I remember."

 When I nodded and then answered, Tatsumiya "Fuu" snickered and then said.

"You look quite relaxed, but you'd better go home as soon as possible today and go to your desks, okay? I will definitely revenge for the first semester."

 Showing a confident smile, she puffs out her meager chest.
 Smiling fearlessly, Tatsumiya continued to open her mouth to Ike as well.

"Kaichou, if you want to win first place in your grade this time as in the past, you had better be prepared to do your utmost. This time, I am different from before."

 Despite usually being so friendly toward Ike, today Tatsumiya said provocative things to him.
 I was honestly impressed by her honesty in this part.

"The main purpose of this test is to see how well the students have learned during the summer vacation. Rather than rushing to study now, I think we should trust that we have built up a solid foundation so far."

“You are so relaxed, kaichou. ...I hope that is not carelessness or pride"

"I will not let my guard down or be too proud. Tatsumiya, of course it is good that you are eager to study, but it is better not to pile up your energy too much. If you get sick, it would be a disaster."

 Ike said to Tatsumiya with a smile on his face.
 Then she,

"D-Does that mean that you care about me...? Hauu, kaichou. It's not fair to say such an embarrassing thing..."

 She whispered softly.

"Hmm? I'm sorry Tatsumiya, did you just say something?"

 Ike, the deaf and insensitive protagonist, asked Tatsumiya.
 Touka and I looked at Ike sternly, but our Tatsumiya once looked disappointed, but let out a sigh of relief shortly afterwards.

"N-Nothing, so don't worry about it..."

 Tatsumiya, her cheeks blushing and looking somewhat heated, replied.

"That's all right then."

"Yes. However, I will get the first place in this test, so it would be less damaging if you both were prepared for it."

 Hearing Tatsumiya's declaration of war, I think.
 
 ...More than that, this guy, well, this is why Ike hasn't noticed her fondness until now.
 I'm not that interested in the test, but I was impressed like that―.