Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Chapter 8

"I'm sorry, Miss. I did lie."

When I returned to the room, the maid apologized to me. Looks like she's been waiting for me. I took off my scarf and coat and handed them to her. After that, I approached the fireplace.

"...Why did you lie like that?"

I didn't mean to scold the maid, but I wanted to hear her reasons. As far as I know, a maid who does something without her master's permission will be expelled without getting a recommendation. Of course, I don't have the power to do that and I have no intention of doing it in Duke Arpad's Manor.

"I was cleaning the window when I saw you with Mr. Adrian. I saw you frown as if you were angry. So I wanted to help..."

The maid replied in a very small voice. I sat in front of the fireplace, cupped my hands, and looked down a little at her. Her hands are dry and cold since she hasn't taken good care of them.

"Ah, Miss! I'm sorry! Please forgive me just this once!"

I tried to grab the maid's hand, closer to the fireplace. But she trembled like a poplar tree quivering in the wind, terrified to death.

"...What's wrong with you? I'm trying to keep your hands warm."

"Oh..."

The maid opened her mouth, surprised. Then she looked at me for a moment, and without further resistance, she finally stretched out her hand. We both faced the fireplace.

"It's warm."

"Right."

It must not have been the first time or two that she had warmed herself in front of the fire, but this maid looked up at the blazing fire with a very fascinated look. I moved away from the maid, walking to a drawer. I took the moisturizing cream that was in the drawer and returned to the waiter's side. Then I gave the cream to her.

"Wear this. You are indeed guilty of lying, but you saved me."

"...Miss? There's no need for that. It's very expensive."

"Yeah, it's very expensive. So you have to use it little by little and save it."

"This is for me...?

The maid's green eyes glazed over. As she nodded her head, she took the cream in my hand with trembling hands. Then the maid opened the container of cream and smelled the aroma then exhaled happily.

"Thank you. I even forgot when I used such a high-quality cream like this."

"...You mean, you've tried this before?"

"Oh, that..."

The maid couldn't answer that easily. She avoided my gaze as if she was embarrassed. I lifted my scarf.

"If you don't want to say it, that's fine. Everyone has a secret or two."

"I'm sorry, Miss."

"There's nothing to apologize for."

After that, we just sat in front of the fire without speaking. The maid slowly applied the cream to her hands. She seemed to like it. Perhaps because of the light, her green eyes seemed to glow brightly.

"I will use it little by little. Thank you very much."

"...No problem. By the way, what's your name?"

She was the maid in charge of cleaning my room, but I didn't even know her name.

"I'm Henrietta, Miss Ophelia."

The maid laughed while scratching her short hair. Henrietta, "Henrietta." I tried calling her name softly.

"Yes, Miss?"

"No, I just called."

"Ah..."

The conversation stopped again. Despite the thick carpet, my hips felt cold from sitting on the floor. I got up and walked to the sofa. Henrietta, who was on her knees, followed me. "Weren't you scolded by Adrian because of me? Were you hit?"

I suddenly remembered the words that Alexander said to his relatives in the dining room, that's why I asked her. There are many nobles who like to play hands more than I thought. On the outside, Henrietta looked fine, but just in case.

"I'm fine. Mr. Adrian is a little rude, but he's not the type to play hands. I've been scolded by him several times."

"Is that true?"

"I'm sure you've seen it before. In the dining room, Mr. Adrian shouted at me when he asked me to get some water to wash your hands."

Oh, so that maid is Henrietta? I've completely lost my mind for not realizing it.

"So..."

Henrietta laughed bitterly while scratching her neck and said,

"You don't know, Miss? Of course, why would you remember things about servants and such."

"...Why are you talking like that?"

"Miss?"

"Why are you speaking condescendingly to yourself? Don't do that."

"I'm sorry. It's become a habit."

Henrietta apologized to me again. I'm not angry or scolding her, but why is she always apologizing to me? I can only shake my head.

"Never mind, it's okay."

"Yes, Miss. Thank you for letting me warm myself by the fireplace with you. I'm leaving now. Don't you like being alone, Miss?"

Henrietta got me a blanket before she left. And just as she was about to grab the doorknob, again and again, she thanked me. She also said that she would hide the moisturizing cream so it wouldn't be discovered.

After she left, I left the sofa and headed to the window. As I walked, the blanket fell on the floor, but I didn't care.

"......"

I looked down, behind the frozen window. I could see the garden clearly through the window. But even so, the distance between this room and the garden was quite far, there were people walking...

The gardener passes by with a bucket. I narrowed my eyes to see the gardener's face. However, it was hard to tell whether his hair color was brown or black, let alone his facial features.

But can you see my face from here?

...Henrietta?


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?