Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Present


 After leaving the cinema we went to a fast food restaurant once.
 We ordered only drinks and sat down facing each other at a seat for two.

 Kana was in a good mood and had a smiling expression on her face, so I asked her about the movie we had just watched.

"The movie was interesting. I'm glad you invited me."

"Me too, I'm glad I was able to watch the movie with Yuuji-kun. I don't remember the content at all because of Yuuji-kun, though."

 A happy Kana.
 Then she tangled her legs with mine.
 I try to escape by pulling on her leg, but she follows it and tries to touch me.
 I thought he was more aggressive than ever, but ... that was my fault too, so I couldn't say anything.

 I ask, sipping my coffee.

"We still have time, is there anywhere you want to go?"

"Yes. Can we go to the sports store so I can look at some tennis apparel?"

 After nodding at my words, Kana said so.

"Yeah, no problem"

"Then let's go shopping together."

 Kana said happily, breaking into a smile.
 We are just going shopping together, but when she is so pleased, I get embarrassed too.
 I tried not to let it show on my face, so I kept a blank expression on my face and said, "O-Oh".




 Then we moved on to a nearby sports store.
 As a specialty tennis store, they had a large selection of rackets and tennis shoes.

"You want to see my tennis attire, right?"

 I ask Kana, who seems to be in a good mood.
 She nodded heavily.
 Then we stop at the section where the clothing is assorted.

“I want Yuuji-kun to choose it for me!”

 She said cheerfully.

"I think you'd be better off buying something you like rather than something I picked out for you."

 When I said this, Kana looked dissatisfied, but then, as if in a flash of inspiration, she clapped her hand.

"Then, I'll let you look at some of my favorite wears, and I'll buy the one that Yuuji-kun thinks is the best! It kind of looks like a date! Right?"

 Right? Even if you say that..., As expected, I can't say, "Yeah, this looks like a date."

"Then, let's choose quickly!"

 After saying that happily, Kana looks at the tennis wear.
 As soon as that caught her attention, she pulled it out,

"How about this one?"

 She superimposes it on her body and asks me.
 I thought the brightly colored wear looked good on Kana.

"Oh, isn't that good?"

“Really? Then, what about this one?"

 This time she says so and shows me the light-colored wear.
 
"Wouldn't that look good on you?"

"Ehehe, then... this one!"

 This time it's dark-colored wear.
 It makes her look more mature than the previous ones.

"That one is fine, too."

"Really? I'm so glad... Wait!"

 After saying that, the corner of Kana's eyes were raised and her tone hardened as she said.

“Yuuji-kun, aren’t you saying it in some kind of random way?”

 Muu, to Kana, whose cheeks are puffed up, I say.

"No, I'm just saying what I think. Kana has good style, so basically, anything looks good on you."

 After looking away from me with a pout, Kana asked me.

"... If so, which one was the best one?"

“As for me, I would have preferred the first brightly colored wear you showed me.”

 At my words, Kana picked up the wear hanging on the rack and held it up.

"This?"

"Yes, that's it."

“... I'm gonna try it on, so can you come with me?”

"Aa, okay."

 Kana went to the fitting room and I followed her.
 Kana entered the fitting room and came out after changing.

"What ... do you think?"

 With a somewhat embarrassed expression on her face, she asks me.
 The brightly colored wear enhanced Kana's gorgeous appearance and suited her very well.

"I think it's good. It looks good on you."

 When I said this, Kana giggled softly and then,

“Thank you. ... Well then, I decided to go with this one immediately

"I see. Isn't it fine to see more?"

 When I ask her that, she laughs mischievously.

"Is it possible that Yuuji-kun would like to see me in various tennis attire?"

"... It's not like that."

 She smiled in satisfaction at my answer, and then,

“Then I’ll change my clothes! ...You can take a peek, okay?"

 She turned around and teased me.
 I pretended I didn't hear those words,

"I'll just wander around the store."

 After saying so, I left the fitting room and decided to wander around the store.
 I think Kana said something to me from behind, but I don't care.

 And I look around the store at random, but the trouble is, I don't plan to play tennis.
 I grab a racket and say, "It's lighter than I thought..." or after holding the tennis shoes in my hands, I thought, "This is pretty light...". Spend some mysterious time just admiring the lightness of the tennis equipment.

 Then, this time, I stand in front of the shelf where the accessories are placed.
 In front of me is a wristband.
 I usually run a lot, and it might be handy to have one. Thinking so,

"Yuuji-kun, do you want a wristband?"

 From behind me, I was approached by Kana, who had just placed the wear in her shopping basket.
 
"I don't particularly want one, but it would be handy to have one. Does Kana wear it while playing tennis?"

"Yeah, I wear it. ...Ah, this one is cute!"

 Saying that, Kana picked up one wristband from the shelf.
 
"If you like it, why don't you buy it?"

"Hmm. But I bought tennis clothes today, and I'll think about it next time I come back."

 Kana carefully put the items in her hand back on the shelf. 

"Then, is there anything else you'd like to see?"

"Yeah. I'll take it to the cashier now." 
 
 After saying that, she went to the cash register in the center of the store.

 After I saw her go, I picked up the wristband that Kana had seen earlier and then―.



 
“Yuuji-kun, thank you for today! It was sooo fun"

 After leaving the sports store, we had dinner together.
 Kana said to me on the station platform, waiting for the train home.

"Yeah, I had fun too."

 When I replied, she gave me a big smile and then,

"I'm so glad to hear you say that! ...I'll wear the tennis wear you picked out for me today the next time you come to cheer me on... Please look forward to it, okay?"

 She said that to me.

 After nodding once at her words, I prefaced with "By the way."
 Kana tilted her head and waited for me to continue.




"Today is Kana's birthday, right?"





"... Eh? Eh, that's right. ... How do you know!?"


 Kana looked flustered upon hearing these words and then turned to me and asked.

"Ah, I guess as I thought. ... I remembered it because Natsuo told me about it a long time ago."

 The summer I spent with her when I was in elementary school.
 There were several times when Natsuo, who always went home before his birthday, appealed to me for a birthday present ahead of time. I remembered that.

"...W-Was that so? Maybe so... Oh no, that's so embarrassing."

 Kana's face turned bright red, then she turned her head down.
 
"B-But! How could you remember such a long time ago?"

 After raising her head, Kana asks with a glint in her eyes.
 ... Until I met Ike, "Natsuo" was my only friend.
 That's why I was able to remember her birthday just before.

"Well, it just so happens."

 Kana stares at me with a red face. I felt a little embarrassed.

"So happy birthday"

 I took out of my pocket a small package containing a wristband that I had purchased at a sports store and that Kana had said was cute, and handed it to her.

"Eh?"

 Kana received it with a dumbfounded look on her face.
 For a few seconds, she looked as if she had no idea what had just happened, and then she muttered.

"Eto, may I look inside?"

"Aa. I think you'll like it."

 I nod and she opens the package.
 Then she looked at the wristband inside and her eyes widened.

"This... When did you buy it?"

"While Kana was paying your bill, I did it at another cash register."

 I was somewhat embarrassed to buy it openly, so I bought it secretly, and then decided to give it to her at this time when we were parting...

"Thank you, Yuuji-kun. I'm really happy."

 It wasn't that expensive, but I'm glad she was pleased.

 As I was thinking this, she told me, hiding her mouth with a wristband that she pinched a little with both hands.


“But Yuuji-kun is a really bad boy. ...Even though you don't respond to my feelings, but what are you going to do by making me fall in love with you anymore?”


 For whatever reason, I just wanted to celebrate my friend's birthday.
 ... And if that hurt her. In the end, maybe this is just self-satisfaction.
 
 I thought so, and as I was about to speak, Kana covered my mouth with one hand.
 Wondering what she's up to, I glance at her with my eyes.
 Then Kana opened her mouth, turning her gentle, yet somewhat charming gaze on me.


"Now, I'm not going to listen to an answer... except "I like you", okay?"


 I hear her whisper to me with a mature expression on her face, and I am thrilled to hear it and thought 'she is beautiful'.
 But I can't just answer that I like her, as she asks.

 ―Having my mouth shut, I had no choice but to quietly give up.