Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 4 | I'm Moving | Remake our Life!


Part 1

"Team formation list, I saw that. You've done some interesting things."

I was called to Kano-sensei's office that day. After submitting the team formation sheet just in time for the deadline, I was told by her assistant to go straight to her office.

I knew, of course, what she was going to say.

"It's the result of a lot of discussions."

In fact, there was no other way to put it.

"Well, I guess you must have discussed a lot of things. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been organized like that."

Sensei flipped through each team's member list,

"The combination of Kuroda and Shino, huh... This combination would indeed seem to make an interesting anime."

She mumbled with interest.

I guess it is still an interesting combination from the sensei's point of view.

"Has Hashiba's team decided what sort of thing you're going to make?"

"No, not yet. We're having a little bit of trouble getting one person on the team."

As is usual with assignments from the Department of Film and New Media , the staff and cast did not have to be students of the same department. I was thinking of hiring one person from outside the department for my team, but it was difficult to get them to accept my offer, and negotiations were ongoing.

Needless to say, the hole that has been left out is the replacement of Shinoaki.

In other words, it's an illustrator.

"Good luck to both of you. I look forward to seeing your interesting videos."

An interesting video, huh.

The number of views, the number of My Lists, and the number of comments.

It was also a difficult word to use because "interesting" in the sense of the Department of Visual Concept Planning is not the only criteria.

But it was easy to imagine that sensei's definition of "interesting" probably took these circumstances into account. Sensei should not have been talking about the level of what she saw personally in the first place.

(For now, let's work on negotiations... Hmm?)

On sensei's desk, as usual, there was a pile of some kind of material: DVDs, business tapes, and scripts were the usual fare, but I noticed something unusual among them.

"Ahre, do you play games ...?"

There were a few consumer console software titles mixed in.

"This is work, too. The action and shooters were a piece of cake to get through, but the RPGs usually ate up so much time that I had to shut myself off. Well, I forgave them because the content was interesting."

Looking at the lineup, I was impressed to see action and shooting games in there that were not easy to complete, and I was impressed to see that she is still a high spec person.

"Hashiba, do you know what Succeedsoft is?"

"Eh, ah, yes, of course."

Finally, I thought, even here.

Ten years ago, Succeedsoft was just a flying bird in the world. Perhaps anticipating the industry's dwindling market share, the company entered the consumer game development market and was beginning to produce steady results there as well.

"One of our graduates works there. They asked me to introduce them to some promising students because they wanted to increase the number of lines due to the expansion."

"The lines? Not a manpower?"

"Yeah. They want to make a small consumer title in the same vein as the old days when doujinshi game circles were turned into bishojo game brands."

"But why not bishojo games? I think they have more know-how."

"It's hard to sell that kind of thing overseas. Since the trade area is small, they're planning to expand it."

Were they planning to lay the groundwork for that market from this time on? It's more like foresight or rather that's great crisis management ability.

Even if I go back to my memories of the first world I was in, Succeedsoft was a brand that was very well prepared for such a future. They had started developing phone apps before anyone else had yet to do so, and they were among the first to port their games to smartphone apps.

I am sure that they will successfully manage to wander in this world and lead the industry.

"If Hashiba had been a fourth-year student, I would have thrown the whole team in there."

"Well... that's right."

As expected, in the second year stage, I think it would be too early to talk about finding a job. Of course, realistically, it is definitely better to think about it early.

"For now, I'll concentrate on solidifying the team members."

"Absolutely, because that was before you could create something."

Sensei sipped her coffee, saying it was lukewarm, and laughed.


Part 2

As sensei said, it was absolutely before we could create something.

I had already tried to contact the person before this production team was formed.

She loves to draw, she has the skills, she has the motivation, and she is still in close contact with us.

With exactly all the conditions in place, I had misread one thing.

(I didn't think there would be that much resistance)

Scratching my head, I enter the house and go to the room of the person in question.

And,

"Saikawa, I'm back. Shall we continue our conversation?"

Immediately, a loud voice came back from inside the room.

"No!! I-I will never be a member!!"

Suddenly like this. I sigh,

"I understand Saikawa's concern. So, let's talk about it properly for now. Then you can decide, okay?"

A thin, small voice can be heard from behind the door.

"...But, I'm sure I'd be persuaded if I spoke to senpai."

"You don't have to be so judgmental. I'm giving you the freedom to choose properly."

"No! Even if it were given to me, I don't think I could exercise it! I would be unable to say anything and you would say, "If you don't say anything, that means yes", and that's the way it would be!"

Saikawa seems to be very unsure of her own strength of will. When she fought off the man who was following her, she was able to express herself firmly.

"All right, then, just stay there and listen to me again."

"Uu, I got it..."

I took the proposal out of my bag and checked its contents.

For this movie production, we, Team Kitayama, submitted a plan to make a still picture movie mainly using illustrations.

Based on the music created by Nanako, the story unfolds in a picture-story format. This is a common form of music video for doujinshi music, and is not particularly unusual.

That is why the choice of illustration was so important. Originally, Shinoaki would have fit in here, but of course she was away from the team and could not be requested this time.

So,

"I would like to ask Saikawa for an illustration."

Due to the fact that I had originally thought about it, I thought I was on the default track.

"Definitely no, no!"

She was more stubborn than I expected.

"Because my drawings will be seen by a large number of people, right?"

".....Well, it will be."

Even if I reassure her by telling a lie here, it would be more hurtful to find out later that she was deceived.

After all, if it becomes a hot topic, a million views could be possible.

"And to be compared to Aki-san's anime, that's a half-billion years too early for me!"

(Hmm, this is useless. I don't see any shred of compromise)

As for the request to Saikawa, it was a decision that had been made based on what I had seen so far.

It was only when she first came to the share house that she seemed to have difficulty getting used to showing people her drawings. However, after she started showing her drawings to Shinoaki, she encouraged her to do so, and gradually the other members began to be able to do so as well.

And gradually, she began to show people her digital drawings, which she had been keeping under wraps. The drawings were different from those of Shinoaki's, and were of a type that was close to the real head height, and looked as if they would be popular if they were created as derivative works for consumer games.

I thought it was okay because it had gotten that far, but ...... It seems that the hurdle of showing it to strangers was higher than expected.

The road ahead was immediately challenging. Perhaps it was only natural, since I had disrupted something that had been stable, but problems began to erupt at a much earlier stage than I had expected.


Part 3

With the illustrator matter unresolved, I held my first staff meeting.

"I think you know what the assignment is about, because I explained it earlier, but I'll explain it again ...... just in case."

The video we will be making is less than 5 minutes long.

There is no set minimum length, so to put it bluntly, a one-second video is fine. Of course, such a thing would probably bring Kano-sensei's wrath.

At five minutes, we can build a drama there. However, this time we are presenting on Nico Nico Douga. Considering that the objective is to get numbers, including the number of views, it would be essential to capture what is being received now.

So, my general policy has been decided.

"I'm thinking of making a music video using Vocaloid."

In 2018, it's a phrase that's almost dead, but in 2007,

"...What is Vocaloid?"

The word was still unfamiliar to the extent that almost everyone had a question mark on their head.

"It is a kind of electronic musical instrument. It is a generic term for a new technology that allows you to enter letters, set a musical scale, play it and the software sings it for you."

Kawasegawa wiki gave us an explanation as usual.

"Eh, but if it's a song, why don't I sing it?"

Nanako says the most reasonable thing.

"Of course it is, but this is a time when everyone is enjoying this new technology. So I'm hoping to make good use of that trend as well."

"Fuhn, that's how it is..."

Nanako still didn't seem to understand much.

Hikawa, who had folded his arms and tilted his head, opened his mouth.

"Does that mean that the person in charge of illustration will be drawing the illustrations of Meku?" 

"Yeah, that's what I'm thinking."

Hearing this, Nanako raised her voice again.

"Eh, wait a minute, what's this Meku? Is it different from that Vocaloid you were talking about?"

Somehow, It's kind of like the process we went through when we were making doujinshi games.

"Meku is a character who is voiced by Vocaloid. She seems to be very popular in the illustration community right now."

Kawasegawa wiki, isn't the scope of your observation too broad?

Nanako searches for Meku on my PC and nods repeatedly.

"He~eh, cute ...... so this is Meku"

Probably, if we start talking about the second phase from here, Nanako will most likely not be able to keep up with us at once.

"I'll explain more later. For now, let's decide on everyone's roles."

Vocaloid videos, for all intents and purposes, cannot begin without a song.

Therefore, the weight of the work was placed on Nanako this time.

"First, Nanako will develop the concept of the song. Once we have a certain amount of groundwork, we will use that as the basis for a concept and then move on to character design."

"Eh? Isn't the design already done? This Meku girl..."

To Nanako's question,

"That's the point. We're not going to use it as is, we're going to put an arrangement here."

There were two main types of videos using Meku: those that used Meku designs as they were, and those that created their own Meku with arrangements.

At first, it was overwhelmingly the former, but as hits began to appear with the latter, everyone began to come up with their own arrangements of Meku.

"So the illustrator will be asked to take advantage of this Meku design while also coming up with original elements to fit the song's worldview."

It is quite a difficult request. I'm aware that this is a difficult task for a girl who only recently learned about both Vocaloid and Meku here.

That's why I also think it's tough if we don't have qualities as good as Saikawa's.

"This is not going to start until I write a song, right?"

Nanako, having enjoyed Meku's image search, is groaning.

"It's a music video, after all, so there's always going to be a song."

"I see, it's just that so far there are no hints. It's my first time to write a song from scratch, so I guess I'm a little anxious."

Indeed, the last time I had Nanako write a song, there was a specification along with the game's worldview, and it was clear what to do.

There is no such thing this time, and if there is, it is only that it will be arranged using Meku. I understand how difficult it is.

"It's our first attempt, and it's totally fine if we start out by just exploring, so let's just start by making something. Then we can think of countermeasures."

Nanako was still groaning,

"Hmm, got it. But don't be angry at first, okay?"

"I won't get angry, I won't get angry"

Or rather, I have never been angry with Nanako's creations. I once pulled Nanako out of the kotatsu because she was complaining that she didn't want to go to her lesson.

"Alright... let's get started!"

The new team Kitayama was restarted with many difficulties for the first time.


Part 4

"Uwaaa~~n, I'm not suited at songwriting after all~~ !!"

"That's not true! I just said that it was a bit like the song you made before, so let's do something newer!"

"It's difficult! It's hard enough just to make something new out of the blue, but to be asked to do something different from what you did before is confusing~ uwaa~~n."

Three days after the restart.

Immediately, Team Kitayama faced a time of trial.

"Gusuu... Kyoya said you wouldn't get mad at me, so I made it, but your eyes are kind of scary, and you don't smile at all when you listen to the song. I'm so sick of this~"

For the time being, I asked Nanako to write a song from a completely original state of mind, or rather, to test what kind of song she would write if she were to start from scratch.

"It can' t be helped that my eyes are scary and I don't smile, because I was listening to you seriously..."

However, Nanako seems to be somewhat poor at creating her own worldview, including her own, at the moment.

The songs that were created for us were indeed "finished", but to be honest, there was not much that broke away from ready-made music. When asked if there was anything that could be evoked from them, I felt that they lacked power.

So I asked her if it was possible to make something more original, while softly conveying that.

"I won't leave... here anymore, Kyoya won't be nice to me, so I'll turn into a hermit crab and spend the rest of my life here. Thank you for your long support..."

Well, this is how it happened.

"What a mess. I wonder why I came at this time"

Kawasegawa, who had come over to discuss the content, was also in full give-up mode.

"Waa~n, even Eiko blames me~! Mou I don’t like it, I'm really not leaving this place!"

"You are wrong. It's Hashiba that I think is terrible."

"Uuh..."

Even though it was more or less expected, it is still heartbreaking if I get beaten by her.

"Even if the purpose is to see Nanako's aptitude, it is a little too risky to let her create without any hints. If we don't give her a few more hints, won't she just shrink?"

"You're right..."

"Wa~i! Wa~i! Kyoya is getting scolded by Eiko~ ♪"

"If Nanako doesn't get a little stronger, though, that's going to be a problem."

"Gueh"

Our team's singer became quiet, sounding like a squashed frog.

"Anyway, if things keep going the way they are, we're going to be stuck. Does Hashiba have any ideas?"

"Yeah, I had that ready, too."

I pulled the materials I had set aside and showed them to Kawasegawa.

"Links to artists who are making interesting things around vocaloids, CDs by singers who are already active in doujinshi music, and a doujinshi with illustrations of arrangements by Meku. I was thinking of having Nanako take a look at these."

Perhaps showing interest, I heard rustling noises coming from the room of the singer who had just declared herself a hermit crab.

"Right, now that I know how difficult it is to create from scratch, I guess that's the next hint that we can give is around that. But..."

Kawasegawa makes a little thoughtful gesture,

"I can't say it well, but maybe we need to explore more difficult areas in this case."

Then she started thinking about something again.

Kawasegawa is not a person who says these things without any basis in fact. Having said this, she must have some sense of danger regarding this project.

While I myself enjoyed the sense of exploration, I had a feeling that if things continued as they were, I would probably end up with something that made no sense at all.

I had thought about how to deal with that, though.

(... It's not time to bring it out yet)

While keeping it to myself, I placed the material in front of Nanako's room.

"Nanako, I'll leave the material here for now so you can look at it whenever you like..."

Then the door opened a bit and only a hand reached out and grabbed the material and quickly pulled it back in.

"Are you seriously trying to be a hermit crab!"

In the meantime, I'm glad to see she's still motivated.


Part 5

With the start of summer vacation, some students who have moved out of their parents' homes are returning to their hometowns. It's a time when the number of students in the area around Share House Kitayama is also decreasing.

This would naturally lead to a decrease in the number of part-time workers, so many stores start hiring at this time of the year.

"W-Welcome..."

Saikawa Minori, who has decided to stay at the share house instead of returning home because her parents' house is relatively close, is taking on her part-time job at the convenience store with a nervous look on her face.

"Uuh ~, I'm nervous"

"It's oozing out of your whole body, I understand well."

Even though her previous job was also in the service industry, it didn't seem to make much sense as an experience.

Saikawa was looking for another part-time job, as her part-time job at Cafe Bar Moon Rabbits was indeed a problematic one in many ways. Her family was fairly well off, and she was able to live off of their money. However, she was looking for a new job to give her life a little more meaning.

Then, the convenience store where Nanako and I work had an opening for a part-time position, and as a result of our introduction, she was hired immediately.

"I really owe a lot to the seniors for everything you've done for me."

"Do not worry about it"

"But that's another matter, you know."

"...Don’t go anticipate me"

Well, I was going to talk about it a little bit.

In the end, Saikawa had not yet accepted the position of illustrator.

"Nanako, would you mind accompanying Saikawa for a moment?"

When I called out to her, Nanako was taking fried food out of the fryer,

"I'm a hermit crab right now, so please don't talk to me ~"

"Are you still doing that setting?"

She seemed to still be sulking and returned such words.

"This is a business, so please do it properly, hermit crab-senpai."

"Not hermit crab-senpai!"

Nanako walked up to Saikawa, indignant.

"Have you learned how to run a cash register?"

"Ah, I just got a brief overview from the manager and Hashiba-san..."

"Yeah, then I'll just check it out and try it with the next customer."

"Yes"

While Saikawa is working the cash register with an inexperienced hand, Nanako carefully teaches her how to do it.

She is a very different person from the childish spoiled brat she was the other day, and now she is a normal, gentle senior.

"Thank you, thank you"

It seemed she was able to do it all at once, and Saikawa bowed her head to Nanako.

The person who was being told said, "It's okay~," she said lightly and retreated to the back room.

"She's still a little awkward, but she's a serious girl, and I think she'll get the hang of it."

"Thank you, I think it was nice to see."

Saikawa is the type of person who doesn't get things done at random, so mistakes around the cash register are likely to be few and far between.

"... During becoming hermit crab, I read materials and listened to music, properly."

Nanako mumbles a little shyly.

"I see. Thank you"

Despite the complaints, I am very grateful that she does what must be done in this way.

"So what's your impression?"

"Yeah. Well... I don't really understand it. I think I would be more comfortable if I wrote and sang a normal song."

She means Vocaloids. Well, if it was Nanako, who can sing well on her own, it might be natural to think so.

"But"

Nanako cut off her words there for a moment,

"I think it's really great that people who can't sing or don't like to sing themselves can still write songs with vocals."

Yes, that's exactly why Vocaloid brought about a major earth-shaking change.

Eventually, this trend will spread to the entire music industry... I see, Nanako used to be exactly that type of person.

"Well, I'll stick with it a little longer. I'm sorry, but I'm still going to ask Kyoya to accompany me."

"Well, of course"

In any case, I didn't expect it to be easy, and I was rather relieved that Nanako was willing to take a stand like this.

Maybe we can talk a little about that after my part-time job today... When I am thinking so,

"Kyaa, I'm sorry!"

We heard voices from the cashier, and we both rushed to get a look.

"I accidentally forgot to include it, my apologies."

Apparently, she forgot to put in a spoon for ice cream, which was pointed out to her by a customer.

"I'm glad it wasn't a big trouble."

"... Yeah, I agree"

In fact, Saikawa apologized as best she could, and things seemed to be settled without a problem.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

As Saikawa bows her head many times, the customer laughs and says, "Don't worry about it," and in turn, replies, "Good luck with your part-time job".

Somehow, it seemed like she was getting through it in a good way.

"Thank goodness, looks like she was able to recover properly, Nana..."

Looking to the side, Nanako was watching Saikawa's movements with serious eyes.

It was not like a senior part-time worker watching over a junior employee. There was a sense of tension in the air, like an animal guarding the hunt.

"U-Um, Nanako-san?"

When I asked again, Nanako spoke in a quiet tone,

"Clever, perfection, awesome"

"As I thought, that girl... was born with the ability to make a man fall. That's nice... I can't act like that..."

"...Don't be impressed by that."

It may be a valuable skill for someone like Nanako, who can handle it all with ease, though.


Part 6

After my shift ended that day, Nanako and I went straight home to work.

"Then I'll just keep writing phrases as I go along, and if there's anything that sticks, just let me know."

"Yeah, I got it"

Nanako nodded and began to place the parts in a fast-paced manner, maneuvering the sequencer software with great dexterity.

After the production of Haru Sora, Nanako's work efficiency has increased dramatically. After all, experiencing actual work, even if you have to push yourself, is a great way to grow as a person.

"Listen to this for a moment"

"I get it"

Listen to the quickly created phrases all the way from the end. What remains is kept, and what does not remain is mercilessly deleted.

It may seem a bit wasteful, but Nanako told me that taking the plunge and throwing it away can lead to the next step.

"It's a good way to get rid of the lingering feelings. I feel like I have to make something new and better."

"Really, you've come on strong ...... Nanako"

"That's because I was trained by a demon."

With a giggle, Nanako never stopped working.

Nanako looks really happy when she does this.

While we were just repeating the trial and error process, Nanako suddenly asked a question.

"Are you still having trouble convincing Minori-chan?"

"Yeah, she said she still can't get over her embarrassment."

"I see. Well, at first, that's right. I was embarrassed too."

"Speaking of which, Nanako was very reluctant to upload the videos."

"Yeah! But Kyoya said I must do it, so... Mou."

Sorry sorry, while apologizing,

"But aren't you glad you uploaded it, right?"

Nanako was a little embarrassed,

"... Yeah. I didn't think I would get that many reactions from so many people. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to sing in front of people, and I wouldn't have been prepared for it."

Nanako's eyes were shining. She had lived so long without seeing what was inside of her, and now she was able to firmly believe in her own seriousness.

"I had to do it anyway. Even if I fail a lot, it's okay if I succeed in the end."

Despite all the whining with her mouth about this and that, this girl is strong after all.

No matter how many failures may follow, whether or not we can believe that there is something beyond them. That seems to be the borderline between whether or not one can become a creator.

"Well, I guess I'll make some more."

Nanako stretched her back with a "Hmm" and went back to the sequencer with another flurry of popping.

The sequence of bars of different lengths, moving in waves from left to right, was like watching the process of creating a single picture.

(……Ah)

I could not do this because it would have interfered with Nanako, but if I had been alone at the time, I surely would have been on my knees in real life.

That's right. I had seen this posture of Nanako's, the feeling of being solemnly facing the wall, a long time ago. I thought I would never forget it, that there was no way I could forget it, but it would be put aside, interrupted by other memories that would come over me.

But coming here, the memory of that time came vividly back to me. It was the same dark room, with only the quiet sound of work.

"Hmm, I think that's about it for today. ...... Hey, Kyoya, what's wrong, you make a difficult face."

"No, it's more like a face that's got a lot on its mind because something difficult is about to be solved, I'm sure."

Nanako was tilting her head, she had no idea what I was talking about.


Part 7

The next day. I knocked on the door.

"Saikawa, can I talk to you for a second?"

Of course, my persuasion continued.

"... Okay, but I won't say YES?"

That's pretty stubborn of you to turn me down at the start.

"I didn't come here today to try to convince you in the first place. I just wanted to talk to you."

"A talk, is it?"

"Yes. I'm not going to tell you to join the team, so why don't you come out?"

After waiting about five minutes after I said that, Saikawa finally walked out of the room.

"Um, just for the record."

"No explanation and no benefit"

Saikawa sat across the desk from me.

Again, after convincing her that I would not try to persuade her, I decided to start talking.

"Saikawa likes to draw, right?"

"Yes, I like it."

"But you don't like it when it's seen by an unknown number of people."

"……Yes"

Now the "yes" was a bit weak.

"But do you want to make a career out of drawing someday?"

Saikawa responded yes, not with words, but by nodding her head.

"I know it's not good enough as it is. But I am so embarrassed to have strangers look at my pictures."

Haa, she sigh.

"I can't do it if I'm conscious of other people. I can draw by myself to satisfy myself, but if I start thinking about how other people will see it or what they will think of it...... I can't draw at all. "

And 'I'm sorry', she said and continued.

"Even though I got a lot of help from senpai. I want to do something to repay you, but I just can't take the plunge on something related to drawing."

Hardly any other artist has ever drawn a picture for themselves. It was understandable that she would stop drawing as soon as they started to be conscious of others.

But if she continues, she will end up dreaming of a career in drawing.

"Follow me"

I called out to her and went back upstairs to my room.

Sitting side by side in front of my work PC, I opened my old work files.

"How many of Haru Sora's illustrations have you seen from Shinoaki?"

"Yes, about two original drawings of the final draft. What about it?"

I nodded and pointed the mouse cursor to a folder labeled "Original Rough Drawings".

"It's something I'll show you with the permission of Shinoaki, but just think of it as something special. Can you promise me that?"

"Y-Yes..."

Saikawa nervously nodded her head vigorously.

"Okay. Then open this folder."

Saikawa opens the folder using the mouse she received from me.

"Eh, this is ..."

The moment it opened, Saikawa covered her mouth and exclaimed.

A frightening number of files. All of them were images, which naturally included rough sketches of event illustrations. Some were lightly colored, others were black-and-white pencil drawings of various kinds, but they all had one thing in common.

"...The same designated picture, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that's right."

Although there were subtle changes in composition and differences in the size of the figures, they were all the "same picture" with the designation ev16.

"While progressing to shadow specification and provisional coloring, each was taken back about two times. If you count all the retakes ...... it must be in the 3 digits."

"Hyaa, over 100 retakes!"

Saikawa involuntarily let out a loud cry and rushed to cover her mouth.

"Hashiba-senpai looks like a nice person, but actually you are very scary person..."

"A scary person?"

"Because, I mean, it's not normal to make Aki-san more than a hundred retakes..."

Seeing my expression, Saikawa seemed to have guessed something. After a moment of silence, she murmured with a look of disbelief on her face.

"Um, no way, this retake"

I nodded,

"I think it's just as you imagine. This is almost entirely a retake that Shinoaki did on her own."

There were a wide variety of reasons. But most of them were completely unknown even to me. However, the revised version had definitely evolved in some way from the previous one.

"Shinoaki has always been based on what she thinks of herself as a value, not how others see her."

"Herself...?"

Saikawa was stunned by the pile of rough, and mumbled.

"Yes. Shinoaki has been fighting herself all along."

When I get up from the spot,

"There's one more thing I want to show you."


Accompanied by Saikawa, I walked out of the room and gently turned the doorknob of the room right next to mine.

"Senpai, isn't that Aki-san's room...!"

"I have permission for this too. It's okay."

I beckoned to Saikawa, and through the gap in the door, we looked inside the room.

In the dimly lit room, only the light of the monitor shone in the back of the room.

"Ah, Aki-san ..."

Saikawa can't help but let the words slip out.

The sound of a pen moving restlessly. The faint sound of breathing. The picture is completed step by step over time. However, even when the picture seems to be almost finished, she deletes it without hesitation and draws a new one.

"No way, that's almost done."

"I don't think it matters, for Shinoaki."

Even if, from the side, it was a near-finished draft, if she was not satisfied with it, it was as good as nothing.

Quietly closed the door of Shinoaki's room.

I go down to the first floor again, accompanied by Saikawa. As we descended the creaking stairs, I spoke to her again.

"To be a professional, it is important to be aware of what others think of you. In that sense, I don't think Shinoaki is in the professional realm yet."

In fact, she was somewhat poor at taking suggestions and correcting it.

"But Shinoaki already has something important as an illustrator before that. That's why I wanted her to grow even bigger."

"The important thing that senpai say is ... fighting myself?"

I nodded.

"Yes. Because with people who can do that, I'm sure they can create something good."

Shinoaki, and Nanako, too. They were able to trust and share their work because they could ruin themselves and create together.

Saikawa seemed to be thinking about something. Slowly, one step at a time, she descended the stairs,

"Aki-san is cool..."

Yes, she mumbled.

We sat down at the living room table, again, facing each other.

"When we greeted each other in the club room, I told Saikawa that I wanted to make things together, right?"

"... Yes, you said it."

"What did you think?"

Saikawa turned her gaze into the air, as if remembering.

"I've always been drawing only for myself, so I wondered why this person would want to work with me?"

I nodded slowly.

"But after what you've just heard, I think you'll understand why I said that?"

"Ah……"

Saikawa nodded lightly this time, as if he had understood.

"It is true that by working with us, your drawings will be seen by others. But that is just the result. At this stage, I would never tell you to be conscious of what others see. I want to use pictures that Saikawa herself thinks are good in our works. Even so... I wonder if we can work together."

I bow my head.

"We need your illustrations"

The clock in the room continues to tick quietly. Saikawa remained silent the whole time.

A moped running outside approaches with a loud noise. The sound of a strong engine, perhaps modified in some way, was close for a moment, and then it was off into the distance.

"Um, senpai... please raise your head."

Saikawa urged me to raise my head with a tone of gratitude.

"Haah..."

After a sigh, Saikawa's cheeks puffed out in dissatisfaction.

"As I thought senpai is a scary person."

With a bitter smile,

"Even though you said you wouldn't try to persuade me, you did in the end."

Perhaps she was unwilling to be described as such, but she said something like that.

"Well, maybe so. But"

I look straight at Saikawa.

"I wouldn't let someone who really doesn't want to do it do it. Even Saikawa, I think, would like to have a chance for one last trigger?"

Strong interest in the illustrations and activities of Shinoaki. She had come to the point where she was right on the verge of wanting to try it herself.

That's why I invited her.

"...Etto, that"

Saikawa looked down, embarrassed,

"You're right ... I'm sorry."

I almost laughed. Nanako is like that, but there are many students who can't express their feelings honestly in this house.

"Then can I ask you again ...... to join team Kitayama Tri?"

Saikawa nodded heavily,

"I am inexperienced, but please treat me well, senpai."

This time it wasn't a wry smile, but a fresh one.

"I'm going to fight like Aki-san did, with myself."

"Okay, then I'll explain the project right away."


With materials in hand, I began to explain the project to the new illustrator.


Part 8

Thus, at long last, Team Kitayama Tri finally got off to a real start.

Once Saikawa got serious, it was quick from there. Saikawa understood what I was saying, and she started to come up with new Meku designs one after the other.

"But shouldn't we wait until we know what the sound is going to be?"

"No, we need to increase the number of moves first, so just draw as you see fit."

This is not the way to place an order with a professional, but it was Saikawa's first time to do so. In order to familiarize herself with the process, I explained my intentions to her and had her mass-produce a rough draft.

"Hmm... I can't do it yet... Hmm Hmm."

And the distressed Composer seemed to have yet to make the first move.

I was present as much as possible and tried to offer her something that would hook her, but... it didn't seem to move the heart.

And Shinoaki, on the other hand, had been staying in her room more and more often.

"I'm home~. Haa, so tired..."

I didn't ask any questions about the Kuroda team because I thought it was against the rules, but I did make sure to be very careful about the meeting anyway.

"Welcome home, dinner is almost ready."

"Thank you ~, Chikuzen-ni, I'm so happy"

Sitting down on a cushion in the living room, she breathe a sigh of relief.

"You look tired. Have a meeting today?"

"Yeah, a solo performance by Kuroda-kun ~"

Kuroda's method of meeting, or rather explaining his concept, is a little unusual. He makes a presentation in front of the members, and then makes an impassioned speech while showing slides of the presentation.

If the times were the times, this style would be suitable for a venture company president. But then again, it's not as if I'm being intrusive,

"It was very easy to understand, and it inspired me to try to make it ~"

And since it was well-received by Shinoaki, I guess he is by no means self-centered.

(Did he change the style a bit... Or maybe he was like that all along)

Regardless, it was safe to say that the character was generally as expected.

He will not choose any means to make a good work. He just says that the results can be disastrous.

If this continues to bring out the new style of Shinoaki ...... it will be a pleasure.

"Ah, Aki-san, welcome back!"

The door of the room opened, and Saikawa came out for a short run from inside.

"Minori-chan, I'm home. Have you been a good girl?"

"Yes, I have ~!"

Saikawa is crouching and Shinoaki is stroking her head.

What is this ...... precious feeling.

"So sorry, I know it's too soon, but I wanted you to see my drawing again..."

"Of course, fine ~"

Saikawa's drawings are spread out one after another on the living room table.

Saikawa's questions were very numerous, ranging from the basics to the finer details. However, Shinoaki answered all of them carefully.

"Minori-chan has become quite familiar with digital."

"Wa-wah... it's fun, really...!"

Indeed, as Shinoaki said, Saikawa was surprisingly good at it.

Originally, I was not that familiar with digital drawing, and she was self-taught in painting, and the lines were still very rough, but now she was creating her own tone by adding various gradations to the cel painting.

Above all, the bold use of textured finishes is interesting, and I see this as being quite prominent, as not many people have established this yet in this era.

"This was also advised to me by Aki-san."

When I complimented her on the texture application, Saikawa was grateful and said so.

"If it were me, it wouldn't fit, but I thought Minori-chan's style would be cool ~"

My original plan was for them to influence each other in this way, while developing their good points.

For the moment, it seems that the influence of Shinoaki is greater, but I am sure that in the future, the opposite will become more and more the case. If possible, I would like to see that happen.


Part 9

After dinner, Nanako opened the kitchen shelves,

"Ahre, we're out of soy sauce."

"Eh, It's already gone. What about the others?"

"Mirin and salad oil ... and maybe some kitchen paper"

"I just bought kitchen paper the other day..."

As I said this, I looked to the side and saw Shinoaki raising her hand apologetically.

"... I spilled a lot of water again."

I smiled bitterly,

"Then, I'm going to go shopping at the supermarket."

"Thank you, then please. I'll summarize the shortage just in case."

Nanako also checked the other stockpiles and gave me a memo with the list.

"Oh, then I'll help you, take me ~"

"Oh no, I'll go..."

Saikawa tried to stand up, but Shinoaki stopped her with her hand,

"I'm going because of the kitchen paper...!"

With a strangely responsible voice, Shinoaki's mind was filled with a sense of responsibility.


In the latter half of July, the heat is indeed getting to be too much.

Today is better because there is still a breeze, but normally I would be sweating incessantly.

"It's pretty hot ~"

Shinoaki is also walking around, fanning her cheeks with her hands.

"Now that we have the money, let's at least get a cooler in the living room."

The share house is not equipped with a cooler. So there have been many times in the past when we have discussed the idea of everyone pooling their money together to install a cooler.

However, it was still expensive, and since we could manage by opening windows, turning on fans, and if we couldn't resist, we could all escape to a coffee shop, it was eventually put on hold.

Then came the production of a doujinshi game. We had a lot of money for a college student. We had more money than we could afford to spend on a cooler.

"Hmm, but I still don't know what's out there, so I'll just leave it."

"You're right……"

So we left the cooler talk for another day.

The money left behind by Tsurayuki was left untouched. Or rather, the money allocated to us was hardly spent.

Leaving something behind for something else seems to be a very practical decision for us who have been through a lot.

Walking along the sidewalk at the river's edge, Shinoaki opened her mouth again.

"Kyoya-kun, you seemed a little concerned about something today."

"Eh... no, not really"

"No, I got it. When I talked about Kuroda-kun."

I really don't think I can lie to Shinoaki.

She's easygoing in tone and mood, but her words at every juncture are sharp and she has good intuition.

In that future world, although it's unlikely, my body shudders at the thought for a moment of what horrible things would happen ...... if I were to cheat on my wife.

"Yes, I did ... a little"

"Fufu, I guess I hit the nail on the head"

Shinoaki gave a mischievous smile,

"It is true that Kuroda-kun is a person who thinks of interesting things, totally different from Kyoya-kun. I also get a totally different feeling every day. But..."

Then she stares at me.

"Because Kyoya-kun told me, I was able to make those discoveries. Without Kyoya-kun, nothing would have started."

"Shinoaki..."

Suddenly, I wanted to hug her and cry.

I wanted to expose the insecurity in my heart and wanted it to be healed.

But I can't do that. There is no way I can do that. She, too, is trying a new challenge away from everyone else, feeling frustrated that she can't draw what she wants to draw.

And yet, if I alone were to say such a spoiled thing... it's too pathetic.

"Last year we were all making movies together, but this year it's completely different."

Shinoaki murmured.

"Yes"

Tsurayuki was gone, and Shinoaki was now on a separate team.

I am always uncertain if this is really the right thing to do.

Perhaps she sensed my anxiety,

"Hey, Kyoya-kun"

"Hmm...? Eh, Shinoaki, wai..."

Shinoaki came around in front of me and gently hugged me.

Her face is just around the chest of my body.

"You think a lot, don't you, Kyoya-kun."

"Uu..." 

"I believe in you. So, don't worry."

A hand on my back lightly patted and stroked my back to calm me down. Her breathing hit my stomach, and the heat seemed to melt my whole body.

"Ah... aah"

I could see tears welling up in the corners of my eyes, and I shook my head to keep Shinoaki from seeing them.

It was a tropical night outside and both of us should have been physically hot.

But I didn't want to let go of such comfortable and reassuring heat.

I wanted to say something back to Shinoaki. But I couldn't think of anything else to say, and if I thought and spoke, I was afraid it would all come tumbling down again.

So I,

"Thank you, Shinoaki"

In the future and in the past, I expressed my unchanging gratitude with the words I kept saying to her.



Part 10

Three days later. Nanako appeared at the team's regular meeting, her eyes greatly bloodshot.

Her eyes were looking down, and she was clearly sleep deprived.

"I'm sorry... I couldn't..."

She fell down suddenly,

"I thought I'd try to figure it out just by feeling... but it was a little impossible..."

Nanako was completely in a slump.

Rethink with a new image. It's easy to say, but in reality, it's very difficult. Besides, Nanako still seemed to have the same habits from the previous game production.

(I didn't want to think about it too much, but ...... obviously a negative effect of that time, right.)

Present a sample song in the dark and ask her to create a song that feels similar to it.

Analyzing existing songs is a good way to learn and not a bad experience. There are plenty of such requests in the world itself.

But what was required of Nanako now was to break away from such copy-like works and to surpass the songs she had created in the past. It was a battle with herself, different from the one suffered by Shinoaki and Saikawa.

"Oh, Nanako, don't worry about it! Just eat and sleep and you'll come up with another great song!"

"Thank you, Hikawa ~, but I want to die here now ~"

Nanako plopped down on the floor, moaning like a zombie.

Nanako is not that pessimistic just yet. Even though it is a slump, in her mind it is temporary, and she must think that somehow, somehow it will work out.

But I had a sense of crisis. If Nanako were to continue in her current slump for a long time, she would surely fall into a big valley at some point. Considering how far she had come to be able to work on her singing, it would be quite difficult for her to recover from the point where she once fell.

No matter how motivated she is, we should not commit the folly of thinking that it is an absolute.

(It's my turn to decide, I guess)

That is why we need to decide on the concept of this video as soon as possible. The more we can narrow down what we need to do, the easier it will be for Nanako to get hints, and the more accurate it will be.

But we don't have that idea now. Somehow, if we don't decide on it and tell Nanako about it soon, it will affect Saikawa's illustrations.

"Hashiba, are you okay? You look very grim..."

Kawasegawa was worried about me, as if my worries were showing on my face.

"Don't worry, I've already decided"

I think it is time to collect a variety of things. What we are lacking, and what we will be seeking in the future.

"I'll definitely figure something out."

I mumbled, a little more modest than usual, but with renewed determination.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next