Soen na Osananajimi to Isekai de wa Kekkon Shite Iru Yumewomita ga, Sorekara Osananajimi no Yousu ga Okashii ndaga?

Author: Kataribe Masayuki

Translated by MTL and Dobelyu Wai
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Past Dreams that Straddle the Heisei Era

 

 The letter that was handed was not even addressed, but on a suitably old notecard that was also clipped together with the letter was a date about 30 years ago and a sentence specifying the person to whom the letter was to be handed.

 Just the person makes both me and Amane tilt our heads.

 

"When a woman in a kimono, wearing a cherry blossom hair ornament, comes into your store, please give her this letter...?"

"It's very vague ...... but the characteristics are clear, and even 30 years ago there were probably only a few people wearing kimonos."

 

 It certainly would.

 It's not like a classic anime that causes symptoms of nostalgia that end a certain Sunday holiday, but if someone wearing a kimono came into the store in everyday life, that alone would draw attention.

 Still, the fact that this letter is still there means that the designated style of person hasn't visited the store in 30 years.

 ...... And with such a designation, if the person in question is not dressed in kimono, it's over.

 

"This store ... When was this place built?"

 

 Suzu-nee ponders my question while cutting tomatoes with a knife.

 

"Hm~~~~m~~~~? I'd say 15-16 years ago? I must have been about four or five years old when we got it from the previous owner and renovated it..."

 

 Surprisingly, it seems that this place became Suzu-nee's house only recently than I thought.

 For us, it's always seemed like the store that's always been in the neighborhood for a long time.

 

"When my mother and father, who originally came from a farming family, started the business, the former owner, who was retiring, gave it to them almost for free. They did some remodeling at the time, but the interior hasn't really changed much since then. "

"I see. ...... Heh~"

 

 That means... So this store has been in existence for over 30 years, changing the exterior and the name of the store, but the building has remained the same.

 When I think about it, I am deeply moved.

 

"But I don't think you'd see cherry blossom hair ornaments and kimonos unless ...... it's the New Year, coming-of-age ceremony, or otherwise, like during the school entrance season, even 30 years ago, though?"

 

 I agree with Amane's statement, otherwise, I don't think I'd have a chance to see someone dressed like that.

 However, when that happens, I'm curious about the date of the letter ...

 

"October 21... It's autumn. Kimono aside, the cherry blossom hair ornament is clearly not suited to the season..."

 

 It's basic to match the season with the outfit, as expected of a woman ...... I didn't have that much of an idea.

 

"By the way, do you know where and when this letter was placed?"

"I'm told they found it at the very back table after the store closed... Look, over there."

 

 Suzu-nee indicated with the tip of her knife the table by the window at the far end of the room.

 It is always a great arrangement for a light tea party, where families and neighborhood old ladies sit.

 No one was there yet because the store had not yet opened, but we could expect the place to be crowded with people.

 

"Fu~mu... Suzu-nee, Do you know what the closing time of the store was 30 years ago?"

 

 Anyway, I decided to find out in detail the time zone when the letter was placed.

 At any rate, "Past Dreams" is one of the most restrictive in Dream Book to handle.

 You can specify the time to start watching, but you can't fast-forward or fast-reverse, so you can only watch when you are in "sleeping time".

 In other words, if the incident takes place an hour later, you have to wait an hour, and if it is after the fact, it is a complete waste of time.

 It is essential to specify a clear time.

 

 ...... Because of that, we know a little bit about ...... the sordid relationship between teachers...

 

"Now and then, coffee shops would close earlier than restaurants because they don't serve alcohol, but ...... probably earlier than they close now. Maybe ......19:00 or so?"

 

 The current coffee shop "Sword Mountain" is closed at 20:00.

 Suzu-nee is trying to remember somehow, but she doesn't know exactly what time it is.

 Well, it can't be helped ... It is impossible to ask someone to remember something that happened before they were more than four or five years old.

 

"It can't be helped ... I guess I'll just have to divide the past dream into several parts at this point."

"Oh, will you do it!"

 

 When I got up from the counter, Suzu-nee smiled at me.

 Somehow... It's almost as if everything up to this point is under her control... From me being troubled by the power of the "Dream Book" to trying to get it to change my mind through peaceful use of it... And even to the point of dealing with unresolved issues in the store...

 I sat down at a table in the very back, feeling like giving up something.

 

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to occupy this seat for a little while... is it okay?"

 

 Today is Sunday, so I can't help but think that it would be bad to occupy a place that is about to see an increase in customers.

 As I think about this, Suzu-nee waves her hand and approves with a flutter of her hand.

 

"I don't mind, I don't mind, if that letter issue can be resolved, I'll rent the place out for the rest of the day."

"I see... then I won't hesitate..."

 

 I opened my dream book and placed my hand on the magic circle on the "Past Dreams" page.

 Then I think of the years, months, and times that I have specified in my brain.

 

"30 years ago ... October 21st ... If it's before closing, shift it around a bit... around 18:30 ..."

 

 The moment I thought of it, the "Dream Book" closed and caught my hand, and my consciousness was pulled into the dream world at once.

 

                  *

 

 The next thing I knew, the surroundings were tinted in sepia.

 Just as I did in the school courtyard and on the staircase landing, I could immediately determine that the scene ...... was a scene from the past, as used in old reminiscences in movies.

 

 However, there are quite a few people around compared to the past dreams I had at school.

 Not that it's a mystery, since the past dream times I had at school were mainly when people weren't around.

 There were some suit-type men taking a break with coffee in their hands, and some old men reading horse racing newspapers while puffing on cigarettes. ...... I thought it was different from "Sword Mountain," where smoking is now prohibited...

 

 The interior is similar, but still not exactly the same.

 There is an old clock that doesn't exist in the store today, and there is a dial pay phone. ...... To put it simply, the store is full of Showa-era atmosphere, or should I say it is full of Showa-ness?

 ...... Is it natural considering it was 30 years ago?

 

 If you look into the cooking area, there is one bearded guy there who I don't recognize at all ...... I wonder if this guy is the owner who gave the restaurant to Oji-san (the current manager)?

 

"He~e, this is "Cafe Sword Mountain" 30 years ago ......... wrong, isn't it a different name?"

"Ueh!?"

 

 While I was looking around the store with curiosity, I suddenly heard a voice from next to me... Or rather, this pattern has happened before.

 

"Amane... again..."

 

 Looking next to me, I see the silhouette of Amane, a human-shaped mass of light.

 It's so subtle and shiny that it's hard to look at...

 

"Isn't it okay? I'd love to see what this place looked like 30 years ago."

"That's fine, but ... You're not sleeping in a weird way like you did in the courtyard, are you?"

 

 As you can imagine, if she was lying down at a table in a coffee shop during the upcoming opening hours, she would be anything but an unsightly and annoying customer.

 

"Ah, that's okay. Because I'm sleeping in a position where I'm still sitting at the table with you."

"...That's so... okay then"

 

                ・

                ・

                ・

 

 The coffee shop "Sword Mountain" is open on Sundays from about 08:30.

 Every Sunday they have regular morning customers at the request of their mothers, who do not want to do the morning preparations as much as they do on their days off.

 

"Welcome ~, Mikami-san, I'm sorry, but the seats in the back are already taken today."

 

 The Mikami family comes every Sunday for a morning meal with their family, and the table in the back is like a reserved seat.

 Misuzu, the waitress, apologetically bows her head.

 

"Ara~, I thought we were the first today too, but... Ara Ara Ara!?"

 

 The wife looked a little disappointed, but her excitement increased as soon as she saw the tables that had been occupied.

 

"Hey, Misuzu-chan, Misuzu-chan! Those kids are from the Amachi and Kanzaki families!?"

"Yes~, that's right. Next-door neighbors..."

 

 Misuzu answers with a smiling face to the wife who asks her happily.

 

"Well well! Those kids were such good friends!?"

"No, no, up until recently they were estranged, but... The guy's shown more guts..."

"Ara ~~~ !!"

 

 For some reason, since ancient times, women always seem to love to gossip, even more so when the gossip is about romance ...... and when the source of the information is themselves, it gives them a sense of superiority.......

 In any case, two people who are currently sleeping for the purpose of having past dreams are completely unaware.

 The fact that a gossiping neighborhood old lady had witnessed Amane sleeping with her head on Yumeji's shoulder...

 Previous | Table of Contents | Next