Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 24, Preparedness

 

 After parting with Ike and Tatsumiya, I returned home and went back to my room.

 I send a message to Touka about the fireworks display that came up in my conversation with them.

 

How about we go to the next fireworks display together?

 

 I sent the message and then tossed my smartphone on the desk...

 

"Uoh"

 

 Instantly, the smartphone trembled on the desk and announced an incoming call.

 I looked at the notification and saw that it was from Touka.

 Is that a reply to what I just sent?

 ...... That's fast. 

 With that in mind, I answer the phone.

 

[I-Is this senpai? It's me!]

 

"I-It's me. What's up?"

 

 I ask Touka, whose voice is a bit high-pitched.

 

[I-It's not what's up or whatever! I was suddenly invited to a fireworks display, so I was surprised, or how should I put it... you're sane, right?]

 

"I'm sane. I'm sorry to ask you out of the blue. Do you have plans already?"

 

 Do you even need to ask my sanity?

 ...... Maybe she already had a plan.

 If so, I'm sorry for bothering her.

 

[No, I've kept my schedule open...]

 

 As I thought, Touka and I should go to the summer festival together, even though we are "fake" lovers! Perhaps she thought it was a good idea.

 

"That's good to know."

 

"I-I see. ......But then again, senpai really loves me, to even invite me to a fireworks display~. No, it's not that you are annoying or anything, it's just that I think it's pretty cute that you are so excited to invite me to a fireworks display, and I don't dislike that about you either." 

 

 Touka says rapidly.

 Apparently, she's in a good mood and is teasing me.

 If she is in this good mood, maybe if I tell her that I'm also inviting Ike and Tatsumiya, she'll easily agree.

 

"I'm inviting Ike and Tatsumiya too, is that okay?"

 

 When I say so,

 

[If anything, I am pretty much ――Eh? ……Eh? ...... Sorry, senpai, what did you say now?]

 

 I interrupted her while she was speaking, so she apparently missed it.

 I say it again.

 

"I'm also inviting Ike and Tatsumiya to go to the fireworks display, no problem, right?"

 

[……Ha? ……Eh?]

 

 Did she not hear it? 

 No, I can tell from her voice that she is upset about it.

 As I wondered what was going on, I heard a huge sigh of "Haah~" from the phone.

 

"...Was it bad?"

 

[Isn't it obvious!? I thought it was an invitation to romantically watch fireworks with my lover... I thought senpai understood it too!! ...... How did that happen!?]

 

 Touka seems more dissatisfied than I thought she would be.

 ...... Maybe it wasn't a good idea to say "with Tatsumiya".

 When she was asked how it happened, it was because I couldn't bear to overlook Tatsumiya, and one more thing.

 

"I've always had a rather longing to go to a fireworks display with a group of friends."

 

 Right, what I said to Ike was meant to be said.

 Touka, upon hearing this, was silent on the other end of the phone for a while.

 

[...cunning]

 

 She mumbled in a whisper.

 Then she continues.

 

[Senpai, you’re so cunning!? If you say that... I can't object to that, can I.]

 

 Mou, Touka muttered in dissatisfaction.

 She knew how I felt and respected it.

 After all, Touka is a good girl.

 

"My bad. ......Thank you. "

 

 When I thanked her,

 

[It's fine, you know. Senpai is that kind of person~, I knew that]

 

 After a teasing, "In exchange" she continues.

 

[On the day of the event, I'll have you listen to my~ every wish!]

 

 In a joyful voice, Touka told me.

 

"Yeah. ...... just please go easy on me."

 

[No, I will have you listen to my every whim ♡]

 

 Touka says with a giggle and a funny laugh.

 I started to wonder what kind of selfishness he would have to say, but still.

 

 I was looking forward to that day.

 

 

 

 

"Ah"

 

 Then, the next day, I went to a nearby convenience store and ran into Makiri-sensei.

 

"Tomoki-kun... Hello"

 

"Hello"

 

 Maybe it's because I met Makiri-sensei before, a few days ago at a hot spring... It's embarrassing.

 

"...How have you been?"

 

 Perhaps it is the same for Makiri-sensei.

 Somewhat embarrassed, she turned to me and asked.

 

"Yes. How about Makiri-sensei?"

 

 I ask.

 Even so, it's hard to believe that this is a conversation that took place after only a few days of not seeing each other...

 

"...Yes, of course."

 

 said Makiri-sensei with a somewhat gloomy expression contrary to her words.

 What happened?

 

"Then I'll excuse myself"

 

 After saying that, Makiri-sensei, who had finished her shopping, left the convenience store.

 

"Yes"

 

 I follow her back with my eyes while responding with a few words.

 Then I remember what Ike and Tatsumiya said yesterday.

 

"It seems like Makiri-sensei has been a bit down lately."

 

"Makiri-sensei seemed depressed."

 

 ...... I had assumed that Makiri-sensei had witnessed their lovemaking and was about to fall into the darkness, but perhaps there is something else going on?

 

 I became anxious and chased after Makiri-sensei.

 And I quickly caught up with her, who was ahead of me.

 

"Makiri-sensei!"

 

 I called out to her from behind and she slowly turned around.

 Tilting her head,

 

"What is it?"

 

 Asked Makiri-sensei.

 I look straight at her.

 I was going to ask her what had happened, but ... Is it really something that can be talked over while standing around?

 If something really happened, I don't think she would want too many strangers to hear about it.

 Then it's better to talk in a place where no one else can come.

 

"I have something important to talk to you about, so can I come over to sensei's house now?"

 

 With that in mind, I faced Makiri-sensei and said so.

 

"…Eh?"

 

 Did she not hear it?

 Thinking so, I say it again.

 

"I have something important to talk to you about, so can I come over to sensei's house now?"

 

"W-Wait a minute, Tomoki-kun! Do you realize what you are saying!? Of course, it's wrong for a student to go into a teacher's room! It's a lack of common sense!?"

 

 Makiri-sensei looks flustered.

 As I thought, suspicious. She is too flustered.

 After hearing about the incoherent remarks about lack of common sense, Makiri-sensei, who was the one who had once called a student to the teacher's room, and I was convinced that something had happened to her.

 

"No, I can't pull back. I... want to know the sensei's feelings!"

 

 What kind of feeling did you have?

 I don't know what I can do.

 But now that I have noticed that something is wrong with Makiri-sensei.

 Even if it is just unnecessary meddling, I cannot ...... turn a blind eye to it.

 

 Upon hearing my words, Makiri-sensei looked puzzled, then dropped the plastic bag in her hand on the road.

 Then she covered her face with her hands before saying, "Eh, eh?" And she tried not to let me see her bright red face.

 Perhaps it was a shock to have a student perceive her troubles.

 With that in mind, I wait for Makiri-sensei's words.

 

"...I get it. Follow me."

 

 Makiri-sensei turned to me with tears in the corners of her eyes and looked me upward.

 I nod and pick up the fallen plastic shopping bag.

 

 Then, I decided that I had to be ready to help her no matter what happened.

 ――I walked side by side next to Makiri-sensei, whose face was still bright red.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next