Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

8, Heart Throbs

 

 After parting with Hasaki behind the gymnasium, I headed to the rooftop.

 I opened the door to find Touka sitting on the sheet, playing with her phone in a bored manner.

 

"Sorry I kept you waiting."

 

 I call out from behind her.

 Touka responded to my voice and turned around with a happy expression on her face.

 And our eyes meet.

 Then, after a huff, she looked at me, and this time her lips pouted.

 

"Mou~, you're so late!"

 

 Fuhn, after turning away, Touka moved right on top of the sheet to make space for one more person.

 

 Pon Pon, she tapped the space next to her with her hand.

 I guess that means to sit down, I smile wryly and obey.

 

"Mo~, I'm hungry! Let's eat quickly!"

 

 From a plastic bag beside her, Touka took out a mixed sandwich and a carton of tea, and then said.

 

"What, you've been waiting for me? You could have eaten it first."

 

"...I saw online that eating alone takes up more calories than eating with two people!"

 

"If you only eat mixed sandwiches, you won't get more calories."

 

 Touka is supposedly referring to an article that says that eating out, and so on, while talking with someone else can help prevent overeating.

 If you eat a certain amount of food, your calorie intake should not increase.

 Touka should know such a thing.

 

"I'm just waiting for you to make a retort!"

 

 Touka said as she blushed.

 Then she began to eat her sandwich, munching it in a teasing manner.

 

 I, too, pull out a loaf of bread I bought at a convenience store and start eating.

 

 Touka asked me just as I finished the first piece of bread.

 

"Speaking of which. What was your senpai's business? Helping my brother or something?"

 

 Touka asks me this question as she puts her mouth on the straw and drinks her tea.

 

"No, you're wrong. I was called by Hasaki."

 

 When I said so, Touka responded, "Hmmm," as if she had no interest in the matter,

 

"...Eh!? Why did you get called out by Hasaki-senpai!?" 

 

 She asked me with surprise in her eyes.

 Maybe she knows that I am hated by Hasaki, and that's why she was worried about me.

 

 I thought I'd explain it, but... Can I honestly say that she wants to make up with Touka?

 ...... I don't think it's good.

 

 As I was wondering what to say back,

 

"... Perhaps it was an important talk?"

 

 Touka asked me this question with a fearful look on her face.

 

"...An important talk."

 

 I nodded.

 I don't know how Touka would think about it, but Hasaki is seriously thinking about trying to make up with her, so it must be an important talk.

 

"... And what did senpai answer?"

 

 With a dark expression on her face, Touka asked me, turning her hollow eyes to me.

 What is this tension?

 

"Best regards, I said"

 

 When I replied, Touka opened her eyes and stood up vigorously with a pained expression on her face.

 

"S-Senpai! ...You have a girlfriend named me... But you started going out with Hasaki-senpai?"

 

 I heard her trembling voice and...

 

"Ha? No, why be like that? We're not going out."

 

 Not understanding Touka's words and actions, I was somewhat confused.

 My answer was met with a blank stare and "Eh?" Touka muttered.

 

"...I don't know the extent to which I should say this, but Hasaki has asked me for advice. That's all."

 

 When I answered, Touka still looked puzzled, but still relieved.

 

"I-I see.... So it wasn't that senpai got a confession."

 

 After she said that, 'I see', I realized.

 If you were called up and told that you had something important to talk about, you might indeed relate it to a confession.

 So, Touka was afraid that I would accept Hasaki's confession and would ruin this "fake" lover relationship, is that what she meant.

 

 I could understand Touka's misunderstanding, but... She is worrying too much to think that I will be called by Hasaki to get a confession from her.

 

"It's natural. How can a guy like me, who is feared by everyone, ever get a confession, right?"

 

 It's sad to say, but I can't picture myself having a girlfriend.

 

 Touka, who heard my words, didn't ...... show a look of relief.

 

"It looks like it was different this time. If someone makes a serious confession in the future. ... What would senpai do?"

 

 With an anxious look on her face, Touka asked this question.

 

"It makes me feel empty when I think about it, it's just so impossible."

 

"Please think about it!"

 

 Touka told me as she looked at me with a clinging gaze.

 

 Even if I am told to think about it properly, such delusion will only make me mentally suffer.

 But Touka's piercing gaze does not stop.

 I think again.

 

 

"I can't even imagine what it will be like until someone actually confesses to me."

 

 

 And I replied in a few words.

 The question was too unrealistic for me to answer.

 

"... Senpai, stupid"

 

 Touka muttered a few words.

 

"Sorry, I can't say, “Even if someone seriously confesses to me, I will refuse.”"

 

"That's not what I meant, mo~!"

 

 Touka said loudly, not hiding her dissatisfaction.

 

"... In other words. What do you mean?"

 

 When I ask,

 

"... means I'm the dumbest person!"

 

 Touka, her face red with anger for some reason, replied.

 

 The true meaning of those words was unclear to me, but I couldn't make a retort when I saw Touka chewing the rest of her sandwich with tears in her eyes.

 

 

 

 The next morning after Hasaki called me.

 I was going to school as usual.

 However, something out of the ordinary happened that day.

 

 That is――.

 

"Good morning, Tomoki-kun!"

 

 As I got off the station and walked down the street to school, I was tapped on the shoulder from behind and approached by a voice.

 When I turned around, there was Hasaki with a smile on her face.

 

"Ou"

 

"Somehow, isn't that reply cold? Even though I mustered up the courage to talk, give my heart throbs back." (TLN: doki doki)

 

 With a wry smile, Hasaki said.

 ...... It's Hasaki Kana as usual, interacting with her classmates.

 Yes, Hasaki is as frank as this when dealing with people other than me.

 The question is, why does she treat me this way too?

 

 What's she planning?

 

 I thought, she was planning to make up with Touka through me.

 I'm thinking that this is how she would talk to me in the morning to make sure she has a good relationship with me, and then――.

 

 A girl forcefully intervened between me and Hasaki.

 Then the girl squeezes my hand and says.

 

"Eh~, what is it, Yuuji-senpai? You're talking about something interesting, please count me in too ♡"

 

 The girl who interrupted us and held my hand was, of course, Touka.

 

 

"Hey, please tell me, Hasaki-senpai .... What do you mean by heart throbs?"

 

 

 While smiling, she turned her eyes, which had lost their sparkle, toward Hasaki.

 

 Touka asked Hasaki in a hard tone of voice――.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next