Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Translator Notes: First, I am sorry for skipping Volume 2. I was impatient at that time because I already read volume 2. I know it's late. But I just want to pay my debt. Thank you.

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

4, Enemy or Ally

 

 Touka and I were led by Makiri-sensei to the student guidance office.

 

"Sit down" 

 

 With a strict expression on her face as usual, Makiri-sensei urged Touka and me to be seated.

 Touka does as she is told and sits in a pipe chair.

 I, on the other hand, looked at Makiri-sensei's expression.

 

 This is her second year as a teacher, a young and quite beautiful woman.

 She is a teacher who often has a strict look on her face, like now, and in fact is often harsh with her students, but still, behind her back, it is said that many male students admire her.

 

"Tomoki-kun, sit down quickly"

 

 After she said that in a harsh tone of voice, I sat down in my chair.

 Makiri-sensei then looks at me and Touka alternately.

 

 Touka flushed her gaze with aloofness, but I took it straight away.

 

"... Do you have any idea why you have been called here?"

 

 Makiri-sensei asked us that.

 

"I have no idea at all! We didn't do anything wrong, so why should we be called into the student guidance office?"

 

 Touka said without hiding her dissatisfaction.

 Wouldn't Makiri-sensei be offended by such a lickspittle way of talking?

 That's what I thought, but,

 

"Tomoki-kun. Do you have any idea?"

 

 Without rebuking Touka, she asked me.

 After receiving a serious look, I mentioned what I had in mind.

 

"Is this about... Kai?"

 

"Yes, that's right. Kai Rekka-kun. He's obviously changed since the end of Golden Week. With his hairstyle that you can see... Tomoki-kun, his attitude toward you."

 

 Hearing Makiri-sensei's words, Touka let out a deliberate sigh, as if irritated.

 She probably doesn't want to be lectured about Kai.

 

"I don't know much about him yet. But it is hard to imagine that a boy who also cares about his appearance like he does would shaved his head without a trigger. Besides, as far as I know, he and Tomoki-kun must not have been that close. ... Is it strange to relate these two changes?"

 

 It's not strange, even I think so.

 I would be convinced even if it was taken as a rumor by other students earlier that I made Kai my follower and forced him to have a shaved head.

 

 …… However, I don't think Makiri-sensei thinks that way.

 

 I am sure that she anticipates that this will cause rumors and trouble among the teachers, and she is asking me what is going on before that happens.

 She still has a strict expression on her face, but I am sure she is not angry, she is just worried about me.

 

 …… After all, I've had this person taking care of me for a year.

 

"I'm sorry, I can't speak about it."

 

 But still, I couldn't speak this time.

 What if I talk?

 I'm sure I'll be punished for hitting Kai.

 Not only that, but it may even be revealed that Kai even took a knife to the fight.

 

 I think Makiri-sensei is a good teacher.

 That said, there is no doubt that both Kai and I would be punished accordingly if such a story were heard.

 

 But I don't want to spit out appropriate lies to Makiri-sensei.

 

 So I couldn't answer anything to the question.

 

"……Is that so"

 

 Makiri-sensei listened to my words and then nodded slowly.

 Then she opened her mouth.

 

"I got the general idea.... You don't have to confirm or deny. There was something happened between you and Kai-kun. But "you guys didn't do anything wrong". And "you can't tell me what happened". But that problem was resolved and you and Kai were able to build a good relationship.... Well, then, I guess there's nothing I can do for you guys now."

 

 After saying that, Makiri-sensei fuuh, let out a short breath.

 From what Touka and I said, she seemed to have guessed a lot.

 On top of that, she says, there is no blame.

 

 I was honestly grateful, but...... it seems Touka was not. 

 After a look of surprise on her face, she quickly said to Makiri-sensei.

 

"Ha? No, no, what are you talking about, sensei? Why do you think that now makes sense?"

 

"... Indeed, it might be irresponsible to make such a decision without hearing the details of the situation. But if Ike-san says she did nothing wrong, I want to believe that word. If Tomoki-kun can't tell me what's going on, I won't force him. I want to believe you guys on this one... Because Kai himself was talking with you guys with a very refreshing smile on his face. When the parties involved aren't at odds, I don't want to complain about it as an outsider."

 

 Makiri-sensei said this seriously to Touka.

 Touka, too, was at a loss for words, pressed by the power in her words.

 

"But if I'm just blinded and the problem is not really being resolved, then... that's definitely my negligence."

 

 With a bit of self-mockery, Makiri-sensei said so.

 ...... I saw the look on her face and I couldn't help but get pissed off.

 

"It's not going to happen. ...I promise I will never betray sensei's trust."

 

"It would be a great help to me if you would."

 

 After taking one breath, Makiri-sensei continues.

 

"Also, there was one more thing I wanted to mention. This time, it may have gone off without a hitch. But in the future, if there comes a time when you think that you can't do it by yourselves... Whatever it is, you must consult me at once."

 

 After putting on a strict expression again, Makiri-sensei turned her gaze straight at us and said.

 

 ... At first I thought Makiri-sensei wasn't angry.

 

 But maybe.

 Maybe sensei was angry at us for not discussing anything with her after we got into trouble.

 

 When I thought about that, I kind of felt bad.

 But at the same time, I was happy.

 

"Yes"

 

 I could only respond with a single word.

 Touka, sitting next to me, also replied in an auspicious manner, "......yes."

 

"I'm sorry to take up so much of your time. You can both go home now. I'm sorry I kept you after school."

 

 After saying that, Makiri-sensei stands up from her seat.

 Then, after a change from her previous strict expression, this time smiling very calmly, she said.

 

 

"Good-bye, both of you. Be careful on your way home."

 

 

 

 

"I thought maybe she could understand if I talked to her. ...... I'm surprised that she understands without me saying anything."

 

 And on the way back to the station.

 I said this to Touka, who was walking next to me.

 

 However, Touka just looked at me and did not answer anything.

 Instead, for some reason, she gives me a resentful look.

 

"What?"

 

"Indeed, I too think that Makiri-sensei is a good teacher. Not only is she strict, but she is also kind, and she believes in what we say. But..."

 

"But?"

 

 Touka then says, without hiding her irritation.

 

"Yuuji-senpai..., don't you like Makiri-sensei too much!?"

 

"I respect Makiri-sensei. No way I can't hate her."

 

"...That's not what I meant. I mean, Makiri-sensei also believes too much in senpai."

 

 Touka mutters in dissatisfaction.

 

 ……Hmm?

 Could it be that Touka suspects that I like Makiri-sensei as a woman?

 So, does she think she'll be in trouble if this fake lover's relationship falls apart?

 

 No, I don't think so.

 It is impossible for someone like me to get into a relationship with an older and beautiful woman like Makiri-sensei.

 Touka would know that much.

 

 Then I wonder what Touka is annoyed about... I don't understand.

 Maybe she was simply annoyed that she was called to the student guidance office.

 

"It's not that bad, right?"

 

 I said that without being particularly conscious of it.

 Touka then seemed to despair, and then began to mumble.

 

"I don't think so, but maybe Makiri-sensei will be my enemy..."

 

"No. How could it be? Because Makiri-sensei is our ally."

 

 I overheard a word I shouldn't have heard, and I countered.

 I didn't want her to say, even in jest, that she would become an enemy of Makiri-sensei, who is so caring about her students.

 

 

 Touka, upon hearing my words, looked pissed off and then poka poka silently punched me in the side.

 

 

 ...... Why should I be subjected to such an unreasonable attack? 

 Touka is probably holding back a little, and it doesn't hurt to be hit by a slender girl to begin with, but it still tickles somewhat, so I wanted to ask her to stop ――.

 

 In the end, Touka's silent attack on me continued until we separated on the platform as we reached the station.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next