Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

5, Letter

 

 Next morning.

 As usual, I arrived at school, opened my shoe box, and was just about to change my shoes into formal shoes and noticed that.

 

"……What's this?"

 

 In the shoebox was a single letter. Checking the back of the letter, the sender's name was not written on it.

 After taking out that plain envelope, I quickly opened it.

 

[Please come to the back of the gymnasium during lunch break]

 

 When I read the letter, it said so in beautiful but round letters.

 

 ...... It must be some kind of prank bad hobby or something.

 Either way, it's not a good thing.

 

 I had received this type of letter from an unknown sender several times before.

 Such as being ambushed by a group of people, or waiting for no one to come to the site, it is basically no good thing.

 

 This must be ignored.

 

 With that in mind, I put the letter in my bag, then changed into shoes and headed to class.

 

 When I enter the classroom, the air is tense for a moment.

 But it was only a short while before I headed to my seat, and the chatter resumed in the classroom.

 

 Last year, the classroom was silent like a wake just because I was there, but thankfully that is not the case in this class.

 

 When I sit down,

 

"Good morning, Yuuji"

 

 I was called out.

 

"Ou"

 

 When I answered, the guy gave me a fresh smile.

 

 Ike Haruma.

 He is both athletics and good looking. He is the super student council president of the school and is well-liked by many students and teachers.

 ...... No, he is a man who should be considered the protagonist of this world and one of my few friends.

 

 During my first year of high school, the only classmate who would converse with me was this Ike...

 

"Sup, Tomoki"

 

 It's different now.

 Along with Ike, it was Asakura Yoshito of the volleyball team who greeted me.

 During the study session organized by the student council, Asakura's misunderstanding and prejudice against me disappeared, and now we have a normal relationship where we can talk like this.

 

"Sup"

 

 I also respond to Asakura with a few words.

 

"... Hmm, what's wrong Yuuji? You seem to be in a bit of a bad mood today."

 

 To my surprise, Ike turned to me and asked me that.

 This is bad, did it show up on your face?

 

"Eh, really? Nothing out of the ordinary, right?"

 

 I thought so, but after hearing Asakura's words, I realized that Ike was just exceptionally sharp.

 

"A little"

 

 There were two reasons for my bad mood.

 One is the letter I mentioned earlier.

 Even if I decide to ignore it, I don't feel good about it because it brings back memories of before.

 

 And one more thing...

 

 I catch a glimpse of a certain someone in the classroom. The girl there noticed my glance and quickly looked away.

 The girl ―― Hasaki was looking at me more hostile than ever.

 She usually gave me glances, but never before had she stared at me as she did today.

 

 I still don't feel good about that either.

 

"I found a letter in my shoebox."

 

 Without mentioning it to Ike, who is a childhood friend of Hasaki and a good friend of mine, I take the letter from my shoebox out of my bag and hand it to him.

 

 Asakura, who peeked in from next to him, said with a fishy.

 

"...No sender's name, looks like a prank, doesn't it?"

 

"I think so too. Ignore this kind of thing."

 

 When I told him so, he encouraged me, saying, "Oh, I don't think you need to worry about it."

 I was a little pleased to have such a casual exchange with a classmate.

 

 But as Ike looked at the letter, he muttered, "This handwriting......" and then turned his eyes to the corner of the classroom.

 I too look beyond Ike's gaze.

 …… But when I followed his gaze, I found her staring at me, and our eyes met with Hazaki's.

 So I had no choice but to avert my gaze, but what was Ike doing... Or who was he looking at?

 

"Ah, I'm sorry, Yuuji. I can't tell you who the letter is from, but could you go and do it?"

 

 Ike said that, surprisingly.

 ...... If he says so, then I guess there is no problem.

 

"Oh, I got it."

 

"... That's helpful"

 

 Asakura, who was looking from the side,

 

"Does Ike know who this letter is from?"

 

 Slightly doubtful, he asked Ike.

 

"Well... not a bad guy."

 

"If Ike says so, I guess it'll be fine"

 

 Asakura did not ask further who it was, but seemed relieved that Ike would say so. 

 

 Then, after the chime rang, the homeroom teacher came to the classroom.

 Ike and Asakura quickly returned to their seats, and HR began.

 

 

 After first period class, I thought I'd better inform Touka just in case, so I sent her a message saying, I've got something to do at this lunch break, so please have lunch with your classmates.

 As I was thinking about putting my smartphone away in my pocket, I soon received a reply from Touka.

 

 The pissed-off-looking character says, "Huh?" A stamp was sent with an angry expression on its face.

 Immediately after that,

Huh? I don't like it very much. I'm going to have lunch with senpai, though?

 A message was received.

 

 ...... Is she angry that I made plans on my lunch break without her permission?

 She uses me to avoid men, but I don't see anything wrong with eating lunch separately for a day or so.

 

 Having lunch with classmates may be something to be concerned about for the popular Touka, but even so, she should get to know her classmates better, instead of just focusing on me.

 …… I think, however, it is probably a bit unnecessary for a communication disorder like me, who has few friends, to talk about it.

 

Sorry

 

 I sent it, and in another instant, the same character as before sent me a stamp with a silent, sad expression on its face.

 

 …… It's hard to reply.

 While I was wondering what to reply, I received another message from Touka. 

 

I'll be waiting for you on the roof at lunch break. Come over as soon as you're done with your errands!

 

 I got a message saying so.

 

 That text makes me feel grateful for Touka, who for some reason doesn't mind being with me.

 

Understood

 

 I operated my smartphone, typed in just one word, and then sent a message.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next