Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

10, Old Friend


 After class that makes me sleepy, it's break time.

 The next class will be held in the science lab, so it's time to move to the classroom.
 My classmates were moving with their good friends.

 Asakura had left the classroom earlier today with her volleyball teammates, and Ike had left earlier today, perhaps because he was on duty.

 When it comes to that, I have no choice but to move alone.
 But that was as usual.

 Now, if I were to move, I would be following right behind the rest of my classmates.
 Then I would have to watch my classmates, frightened by my gaze, run off. Please spare me from that.
 So I decided to stagger my time a bit before I started moving.

 As I was watching for the right moment at my seat, I was unexpectedly approached by a voice.

"For next, we're going to move to the classroom, you know? Hurry up, or you'll be late?"

 It was Hasaki.
 Already, there were only me, her, and a few others left in the classroom.
 I don't think she usually stayed late for classroom transfers, but what happened today?

"Yeah, it's time to head out. By the way, why did you stay until the end?"

"Eh? I was thinking of going with Tomoki-kun."

 Hasaki said, as if it was natural.

"... Hmm? Why me? You're always with your friends, like Ike or the other girls, right?"

 When I say that, Hasaki says with a questioning look on her face.

"Me and Tomoki are friends too, right?"

"...You're right."

 I gave a small nod in response to that unexpected word.
 Indeed, me and Hasaki had become friends.

"Well then, let's get going"

 With an innocent smile, Hasaki says.
 I nodded at her words, stood up, and left the classroom with her.


 As we walk down the hallway, Hasaki asks me a question.

"It was the same in the first year. Tomoki is often alone."

"Yeah. During the first year, when Ike wasn't with me, I was always alone."

"Not lonely?"

"I don't feel lonely. I'm used to it, so I feel at ease."

 I said, and Hasaki looked straight into my eyes.

"what?"

"You said you're used to being alone... that. Could it be that Haruma was Tomoki-kun's first friend?"

 It's a somewhat prayerful gaze.
 I can't even begin to guess what Hasaki is thinking right now.

 I thought for a moment about what to say to that question and then ...... stroked the stitches under my eyelids with my fingertips and then opened my mouth.

"No, even before I became friends with Ike, I had someone I could call a friend. ...Well, just one."

 The worst 15 years of my life until middle school.
 If there are any good memories among them ...... it would be only the days I spent with that guy.

 For some reason, Hasaki puts a gentle expression on her face at my words.

"I see. That was probably a good thing. ...... So, are you still on good terms with that friend?"

"No. I haven't seen him once since I moved up to sixth grade."

"I see ... What was he like, that child?"

"He was a crybaby and a wimp, but a kind guy. ...Also, come to think of it, I think he was a beautiful neutral boy. I'm sure he must be a handsome man by now."

 At my words, Hasaki quickly turned her face away.
 I wondered what was going on, and when I asked her condition...

"S-Sorry. I didn't expect to hear Tomoki-kun say a beautiful neutral boy."

 After blushing as if she was trying to hold something back, Hasaki said so.
 I was dissatisfied and stared at Hasaki silently.

 Then she turns her head down, looking embarrassed, and says.



"...Me too. I've had friends that I've grown apart from since about that time."






 No, you said it in a ostentatiously way, but you definitely meant Touka, didn't you?
 I know that too.


"If you could see that friend. Does Tomoki-kun have anything you want to say?"

 Hasaki said with somewhat painful expression.
 ...... What do I want to say, huh?
 I probably have a ton of things to talk about.
 Why did he suddenly stop seeing me, why didn't he tell me anything?

 But I'm sure that when the time comes, I won't be able to speak well.

"...Long time no see, how are you? If you don't mind, can we exchange contact information?"

 Hearing the answer, Hasaki was stunned and then...

"Uwwa, that's normal. You haven't seen him in a few years, and you're that excited?"

 Amusingly, Hasaki laughed.

"Well, I'm not good at speaking. I don't think I can ever say anything pretentious."

"I see. Maybe you're right."

 She mumbled in a convinced tone, and then,

"I'm sure. I don't think even if I met that friend, I wouldn't be able to tell him anything..."

 Hasaki said so.

 I have a lot to tell.
 Still, I can't put it into words well.
 That's why... I can't say anything.

 Perhaps she is suffering from such a problem.

"Somehow, I don't think it was something to talk about while walking in the hallway, but I'm still glad we talked about it. ...Maybe because I could be friends with Tomoki-kun properly, I guess."

 Hasaki has a somewhat lonely expression on her face.
 Her feelings could not be read from the look on her face.

"Up until now, did it seem like you couldn't make friends properly?"

 She smiled charmingly at my question and then put her index finger on her mouth.


"――It's a secret, okay?"



 Probably because of the conversation with Hasaki.
 Sensing the frightened stares of my classmates in the same group, I watched the experiment from a distance, listening to the teacher's commentary and remembering my old friend for the first time in a long time.

 A friend who was strong-willed and a crybaby, but who was good friends with me.

 His name is ―― yes, "Natsuo".
 Remembering that name for the first time in a long time, the nostalgia makes my mouth involuntarily slacken.


Hey, Natsuo. Where are you, and what are you doing now?


 ―― The girl sitting next to me responded to my question with, "Hih!" A short, frightened voice.
 ...Feeling a little embarrassed, I tightened my mouth and then put on a poker face.