Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive.
Thank you for all the patrons Ilmi Sumitro, eduardo diaz, Erik Hartleben and Andres Ulloa.

Chapter 4 | Swayed Uncontrollably | Remake our Life! ◄◄

Part 7

I couldn't shake the heat all the way home.

Neither of us discussed anything. We didn't make plans for the future or discuss anything concrete. All that was born was passion, and an unyielding spirit.

But that was fine. It was enough for now. Above all, because it brought back something I thought was already lost.

I got off at Yurigaoka Station and walked down the path illuminated by the setting sun. The path that I should have been used to walking was somehow proud of me now. It was as if I was stepping onto the final road where the final boss awaited me, making sure of it.

I stopped when I was only a few dozen meters from home. If this were an RPG, I would have set up a big event. Just as I had hoped, there it was, standing there waiting for me at the very end.

"Miyamoto-san"

Illuminated by the street lamps, his figure was clearly visible even from a distance. But if I were to describe his appearance alone, he was so different from what he had looked like before. He was unshaven, his hair was a mess, and only his eyes were glazed over as he looked at me.

"Hashiba"

His voice was faint but clear. As I approached, he took a few more steps and then dropped to his knees with a mighty thud.

"I have something to apologize for."

I also knelt down and placed my hand on Miyamoto-san's shoulder.

"I heard from the executive director. I'm sorry, because I didn't make a move."

Miyamoto-san looked surprised for a moment, then rubbed his head vigorously on the ground.

"Wai, what are you doing!"

 

"I'm really sorry! I am ... I was an idiot!"

No matter how hard I tried to rouse him, Miyamoto-san remained still for a while.

"Raise your head, please. That's enough."

When he finally raised his head, this time he opened his mouth vigorously.

"What do you mean, "That's enough"? MysClo is in such a mess and the 2nd department is already in a state of collapse. All I can do is get down on my knees."

"No? Really."

When asked, Miyamoto-san bitterly bumped his fist into his knee.

"I do! I want to give that da*mn executive director a hard time, and if I could, I'd help those who have been hurt so badly by him! But there's nothing left..."

As he said so, Miyamoto-san looked up at me.

"No way, Hashiba, is there anything can do to screw that guy up?"

I smiled and said.

"No, nothing."

"Nothing?!"

Miyamoto-san nodded again in disappointment.

"...... I don't have one, but I will think of one. I'll think of something."

"What are you talking about? Even though it's never been thought of before."

"I'll think of something, this time."

It was strange.

It was no different than before, with no basis whatsoever. It was not that I had suddenly become brilliant, or that ideas were flowing out of me one after another. Yet, there was already a strong sense of certainty in my mind.

Passion is so important. Just having it is enough to make a person positive to no end, and even in a pessimistic situation, something can move on to the next. No matter how hard you work, if you lose your passion, that's the end of it.

I was getting it now. So I had nothing to fear.

"Haha, that's strange."

Miyamoto-san laughed.

"Even though Hashiba didn't say anything to convince me, the look on your face made me think that we could still do it. Even though there is nothing left to do."

"I said it's there. We just haven't found it yet."

I said and stood up, raising Miyamoto-san's body.

"I have a request for you, Miyamoto-san."

"To me... What is it?

I smiled,

"If you feel even a little sorry about what you just said on your knees, could you please work with me for a while?"

Miyamoto-san rolled his eyes in surprise.

However, with little time,

"Fine, you can order me to do whatever you want. I'll move whatever I want."

With those challenging eyes, he smiled back.


Part 8

Next week. Our daily lives are back. Of course, what we have to do is clean up after the development freeze. However, the work was intentionally finished early.

The reason, of course, was the upcoming strategy meeting. Miyamoto-san set up the meeting regarding the choice of location, communication, etc.

In a Chinese restaurant in Shinjuku, around a large round table, were the main members of the 2nd and 13th developments, respectively.

Miyamoto-san, Kojima-san, Sakurai-san, Kuroda, Kawasegawa, and me.

Once everyone was present, Miyamoto-san bowed to everyone.

"Due to my careless actions in the recent disturbance, I have caused a situation that cannot be undone. For that, I offer my deepest apologies."

He had shaved his beard and returned to his usual well-groomed face. But his expression was still stiff.

"It can't be helped. It's all the fault of that damn executive director. And, Miyamoto-san, there is one mistake in what you said."

Miyamoto-san tilts his head at Kuroda's words.

"Mistake...?"

"Yeah, it's 'cannot be undone'. After all, we're about to make a move to get it back."

Everyone in the room smiled and nodded. Miyamoto-san also chuckled.

Although some of the members were meeting for the first time, they did not seem strangely distant.

"A connection made by the Executive Director. That's the only thing I'm grateful for."

Kojima-san laughed at Kuroda's words.

"No, it's wrong. Even without that thing, I'm sure this interesting group of people would have met at some point."

I thought so too.

All of us here at Succeedsoft are people who love games, and that's why all of us got together to make games.

The fact that we are all here together now, I think there must have been some kind of connection. Even if it was triggered by that accident.

"But even that worst bas*tard is smart enough to know what he's doing. We all need to think about how to defeat him."

"Yes, I don't think it would be that easy. If it was something that came to mind right away, even that guy would have already figured it out."

Kojima-san and Kawasegawa sighed together. Yes, it's not going to be easy, which is why we got everyone together like this.

Miyamoto-san opened his mouth.

"I think everyone here has been badly hurt in this outrageous scheme that the Executive Director's side has pulled this time around."

"That's right, I never thought he would freeze MysClo project itself..."

Sakurai-san looks like she is about to cry. Miyamoto-san nods,

"That is how out of the ordinary he is. If that is the case, I think we will have to do something quite extraordinary to get to the point where we can outplay the other side. Of course, we won't do what I did again."

All seemed to agree on this as well.

"But still. Even if we're trying to shake up the Executive Director from the outside by spreading fake news, I'm sure he's got countermeasures against that kind of media."

Says Kuroda with an annoyed look on his face,

"It's basically going to be hard to use the media. He has the backing of an important people."

Miyamoto-san replied. Perhaps he did some research after that incident.

I had asked Hayakawa and others to do research on the executive director from around the time I joined the 2nd Development Department. I did not find any weaknesses, but I had a certain amount of information that it would be a waste of time to attack him.

"I'm wondering if he's had any female relationships, and also if he's interacted with any anti-company...Or something."

"Looks like, he's clean. In fact, he's so clean that it's weird."

Kojima-san's doubts had already been investigated. The fact that he had not left any trace of having joined hands with that kind of pressure group, despite all his scheming, was proof that he was skilled.

After that, we talked through the whole thing, but it was still not that easy to find a strategy. However, if I did not find some clues here, I would be forced to follow the Executive Director's wishes.

"But is there any reason why he hates the game so much...?"

"Who knows, maybe it was just a rebellion against his father's company? To be honest, I didn't like my father's job either."

Kuroda answers Sakurai-san's simple question. Surprisingly, it was possible that such a personal experience was the cause.

"But if he hates the game so much, why doesn't he just change the signature? How long is he going to keep wearing the Succeedsoft sign?"

Kuroda is indignant.

Well, he is actually on the verge of doing just that. If what Hayakawa said earlier is true, it seems that he wants to shift to a non-game software development company.

"Just as the executive director wanted, huh..."

With his deeply rooted ideology of eliminating the game, it is nearly impossible to change it. That said, it is going to be difficult to bring the opposing group of other presidents on board as well.

The game board is still moving as the Executive Director wants it to. No matter what we do, he always makes the first move. This is because he controls the rules and always knows what is on the board.

(I'd like to somehow make the place where the executive director can't see, but...)

A point that would be a blind spot from his point of view. If we could make a plan there, we would not have to face any interference. However, even the leak to the media, which seemed to be a blind spot, was as good as being completely exposed in front of him.

I wonder if there is something, something.

"Da*mn it, so annoying. If this were a card game, I'd have turned the board over."

Miyamoto-san mutters angrily.

Turn it over...?

With Miyamoto-san's words, it sounded as if something clicked into place.

We have always operated under one big rule. Because those rules are absolute, the executive director has acted as a strong authority and has continued to win.

But that was under the condition that we were on the same board.

For example, if you lift the board and turn it over.

At a dizzying pace, everything that has gone before began to spin around in my mind. Planning, meetings, ideas, media, events, heat, turning over and reviewing each one.

And.

In my mind, they are finally ...... combined.

"Miyamoto-san, that may be it."

"Eh, what's that?"

"It's a strategy against the last boss. Until now, we had only thought of attacking the Demon King's castle on foot. But that was no good."

"W-What are you talking about, man?"

"You have to hit the castle against the castle. I see, that was it!"

I took both of Miyamoto-san's hands and squeezed them tightly. Then I looked around at everyone,

"I came up with an idea that might win."

"R-Really!"

Kuroda stood up vigorously.

"What is it like...?"

Kawasegawa seemed somewhat uneasy.

"Frankly, I won't know if it will work or not until I try it. But I think it will be more effective when it works than any other method we have considered so far."

Look at everyone again to make sure,

"I'm going to explain now, so could you just listen for a moment?"

They all nodded with puzzled looks on their faces.

Perhaps this would be my first and last chance. I was secretly excited to find a time when everything was so strangely matched up.

But that included the damage that would be done if we failed. If luck turned away for the worse, everything would be over at that point.

—Calm down and think about it carefully.

As I told myself, I started telling everyone about the strategy.


Part 9 (POV Matsuhira Kou the Executive Director)

The season changed and it was May. The people who had been making a fuss about MysClo had become completely quiet, and I was going about my daily life with a sense of relief.

(It's going so well, it's boring)

It is troublesome when people make a fuss, but it is also boring when not hearing from them.

"Executive Director, the report..."

"Ah, okay. Get started."

I nodded, and the staff member who came to report to me flipped through the documents and began to talk.

There is a new project that has been launched. I had to rent another building and set up a department there because I didn't want the people in the company to know about it, but the report finally came in.

The 14th Development Department. The number after the execution chamber, but we have a much more elite group than those guys. They are definitely the right people for the job. It is a world reborn after the execution, I suppose.

"The 14th Development Department is now working on the development of educational software and hopes to expand its new business in collaboration with the Ministry of Education. While keeping costs to a minimum, we are able to develop the software in-house by setting up a solid workflow. Next, the delivery date—"

The manager of the department is reporting the results in an indifferent manner. By nature, he is a man who can look at numbers calmly. Even if he leaves the position of game development, this man will be a firm hand and foot.

"As expected of Horii-san. You are different from someone who is moved by emotion."

I clapped my hands in admiration, and he stared at me,

"Executive Director, I beg you to do what you promised."

"Promise... Ah, you mean job assurance?"

Horii replies simply, "Yes."

"The reason I have agreed to transfer to the 14th Development Department is because of your promise to eventually guarantee employment for those kids who have strayed from the 1st and 2nd departments. I beg of you, please."

"Don't worry, I remember that much."

Well, remembering and doing are two different things.

"I'm about to make my next appointment, so I guess that's all for now, right?"

"Yes, excuse me."

Horii bowed politely and left the room.

"You're still ridiculously polite, Horii-san."

I guess that's why he is so well-liked, but he is a little too nice or too trusting.

"I'm so quick to betray, you know."

Press the extension button and contact the Secretary's Office.

"Thank you for your hard work. Executive Director, it is time for you to head to the venue."

"Ah, right. Shall we go."

I take my jacket and head downstairs. It's going to be a long errand today.


Part 10

On the way to Makuhari*, I questioned the secretary in the car. (Note: part of Japan, esp. Tokyo)

"Did you get the booth ready in time?"

"Yes, we have canceled MysClo exhibit that we had originally planned to put out, and are now shifting our focus to promoting our new business. However, we do plan to give out free apology items, as we understand that users could be flooded with them in response to the development freeze."

"Well, as long as you give them things, they'll complain a little less. That's good. So, how are the other works coming along?"

"Yes, considering the position of the former development, we have included some introduction to that area, but..."

"Dad, what are you yelling about again?"

"No, there has been no significant movement. However, he said he would talk again later about the case of MysClo."

"All right, I'll talk to him."

He hardly ever sees the site anymore, but he is always wanting to meddle in the company's internal affairs. Since he is no longer involved in the actual management of the company, he should keep his mouth shut.

"That old man... I'll definitely knock it out."

Now is not the right time. I'll make careful preparations, do some maneuvering, and kick him out of the company at the best possible time.

Outside the window, the Gulf Coast was slightly cloudy. Fools are quick to say they like sunny skies, but cloudy skies are more comfortable with less sunlight in the way. I think I am most comfortable under this kind of sky.

"Well, in the end, the guys in the 2nd department didn't do anything?"

"Is it 2nd development department? To make sure, I had investigated, but nothing, not a single thing."

"Ah, that's so, it's boring, surprisingly."

I opened the window and let the outside air in.

Despite all those vigorous dares, in the end, they did nothing. They talked about their love and care for the company, but in the end, they were just being a parasite on the company and being cheeky.

"Hashiba Kyoya."

When Kawasegawa pulled him in, I thought it would be a bit of fun. Unlike a creator with roots like Kuroda, Hashiba was able to look at numbers calmly. I was hoping that with this head on his shoulders, he could be put to good use on this side of the project.

And yet, he kept on doing unnecessary things that I did not want him to do, such as motivating the 13th Department, which had isolated troublesome employees, and boosting the morale of the 2nd Department, which was supposed to have been broken down. So I called him out directly and hold his head down.

Well, as a result, he became quiet because of it, so I guess he is just a gutless guy.

"It's boring, isn't it?"

"Ha, ano, shall we play some music?"

"No need. Leave me alone."

My direct subordinates, they are obedient and don't think things through, so they are very boring and can only respond to me no better than a tennis ball hitting the wall. Is there anyone who can hit more?

Eventually, Kawasegawa will probably shout that she has nothing to do, and when she does, I will play with her again, giving and taking away duties as I see fit. Toying with talented people is the best entertainment for those on the management side.

My father foolishly says that human resources are treasures, but that's not true. Treasure is the best thing because it never says anything useless and its value only increases, but talent rots quickly and goes away on its own. It is best to play with them while they are still valuable.

"Executive Director, we should be there soon."

I nodded lightly, annoyed.


Part 11

Game Expo is the largest game presentation event in Japan. The exhibition hall in Makuhari is fully utilized, and domestic and foreign manufacturers gather there to introduce their upcoming software and hardware.

This is another event that seems to be a sum of waste. The organizers spend more than 10 million yen to build a booth to advertise a single software title, and then, of course, tear it down when the event is over. If you keep it simple, people will complain that you didn't spend enough money, and if you spend more money, they will complain that you should spend more money on the actual game. What are we supposed to do?

In order to avoid such troublesome situations, let's not participate in such events any more. I am sure that the scale of exhibiting will be reduced after next year.

"Executive Director, this way, please."

The car arrived and we entered the waiting area for the booth. There was still some time before I had to take the stage and address the audience, so I sat down in a chair and waited for my turn.

I was a little sleepy, partly because it was so early in the morning. I closed my eyes, thinking it would be okay to sleep some.

I was just thinking that I could do so for an hour or so,

"President Omichi of Georide is here to see you."

"It's a nuisance. Got it. I'll go."

Apparently, it didn't work out that way.

Georide was a start-up app maker, with a medium-sized property management company as its parent company, a company that was easy to understand, well, anything to get its hands on as long as it made money.

"Matsuhira-san! It's been a while!"

"Hello, it's been two weeks. Since you greeted me at the manufacturer's social event."

"Areh! Is that so, surprisingly, it was so recently! But if you are the executive director, I'd like to see you every week, haha!"

In short, the company was headed by such a person. The company was an ultra-black company with a seniority system only for the convenient part, a strict 8:00 work schedule, no flexible work hours, drinking parties, athletic meets, morning meetings, quotas, and sales is the greatest of all, which you don't see that often nowadays.

The president of the company is apparently from the karate club, and this year's New Year's greeting card had a photo of him breaking 20 roof tiles. Is the whole company doing some kind of Showa-era comedy?

"Another great booth this year! It's big and magnificent, I hope one day ours will be as good as this!"

"Isn't your company splendid? You've invited ten companions."

"Well, after all, we want to have the best of the best in that area! If I choose randomly, people won't get flyers! Haha."

I wonder if he can go back soon, this old man.

I don't like this sexual harasser old man even a millimeter, but he has a track record of being a superb integrator dispatcher, so I have to take good care of him against the company. It's a complicated thing in many ways.

"Speaking of which, have you seen B-Craft's booth?"

"No, not yet. Is something wrong?"

B-Craft is a game manufacturer in the same industry, and is much more established than our company. It is a huge company that handles not only games, but also animation and toy manufacturing, and is about twice as big as our company.

However, from my point of view, I had the impression that it was an old-fashioned company. I have heard rumors of a director who is a strong and successful person who is said to be the next president of the company, but it seems that the stubborn president, who is said to be a demon, has not lost his emphasis on tradition, and the company seems to have missed the opportunity to change its business operations.

I don't think such a manufacturer would prepare something new...

"Eh, you don't know about it? Well, I thought that you had already had a conversation behind the scenes, just because of an announcement like that."

"...Haa? Announcement?"

There is no connection between us and B-Craft. I'm sure there was no business partnership either. If the announcement was newsworthy, it is extraordinary that I did not know about it.

Clearly, there is something strange going on. Something is happening that I have not been able to grasp.

"President"

"Yes~! What is it?"

"Excuse me for a moment, I just remembered something urgent, so I will take my leave."

"U-Uhm, Executive Director...?"

Leaving President Omichi stunned by the sudden end of the conversation, I made my way around to the front of the booth.

Indeed, it was noisy. It was only a short time after the event opened, but many visitors were pointing at the booths near Succeed's and making a lot of noise. This should not happen unless there is a big announcement to be made.

"What are they looking at?"

I poked my head out from among the users and turned my eyes in the direction they were looking.

And,

"...... Heh."

I finally figured out what was going on.

B-Craft's booth was just across the hall from ours. A huge monitor was in the center of the stage, where the words "A Super Epic RPG, starting" and the names of its creators were displayed along with a loud soundtrack.

Scenario by Kawagoe Kyoichi.

Character design by Akishima Shino.

Theme song by N@NA.

The buzz of the crowd grew louder and louder as the lineup, which I had seen somewhere before, became clearer and clearer. The flashes of smartphones flashed repeatedly, and some of the guys were alternately taking pictures of the Succeed booth and the other booths.

I was silent, watching the scene. I couldn't help but see this frenzied event as if it were a fictional event or something.

"E-Executive Director! S-Something serious has happened."

My secretary rushed in from somewhere.

"U-Uhm, at B-Craft's booth, uhm......!"

"I know, you know it when you see it"

My secretary seemed to be in such a panic that she looked alternately at the two booths and seemed confused. What a pathetic person.

"Hurry up and make arrangements so that the article doesn't spread."

"T-That's, Executive Director..."

The secretary showed me an article from a portal site displayed on her smartphone.

"At the same time that this booth was opened to the public, all these articles went up simultaneously ...... and, I hate to say it, but I think there may have been some kind of set-up."

"Hmph, ah, that's so. Never mind then."

I checked the topic on a smartphone in my hand.

Major media portals, summary blogs, and social networking sites are all filled with this topic. It is a scandalous topic, and yet it is also a highly anticipated one.

The over-the-top preview movie was still playing in front of my eyes. I couldn't believe my eyes at the last scene, where various sales pitches came out one after another.

"Kawase...gawa?"

That Kawasegawa appeared at the end of the preview movie as the person in charge of direction. Naturally, Succeedsoft's name is not mentioned there even a little.

The only person who could execute something like this is, well, that guy.

"Not bad... Hashiba Kyoya"

I couldn't help but smile.

An opponent whom I could crush thoroughly without hesitation. I found it, and I smiled with joy. To me, who had been given only toys that could be easily broken by hitting them, it was a pet that bit me, a stag beetle that fought back with its scissors when I collected it.

I'm getting thrilled. I wonder what this guy would make if I hit him with all my might. I want to see him cry and rant and beg for forgiveness. For the longest time, no, it was the first time I had an opponent that I felt that way about.

"Right, you have to do this, or it won't be any fun."


Part 12 (POV Hashiba Kyoya)

Time goes back to a conversation we had two months ago in March at that Chinese restaurant.

At the beginning of my explanation of the measures I had considered, I first affirmed.

"We will continue to develop MysClo"

Immediately, question marks appeared on everyone's faces.

"No, what are you talking about?"

As a matter of course, Kuroda questioned.

"The board of directors decided to freeze the project, and the budget has already been cut and we are in the middle of dealing with the remaining work. How can we restart that now?"

"Right, it would be difficult or rather it's impossible to restart the project."

Everyone tilted their heads at my simple answer.

"As you all know, we can no longer continue development at Succeed. But we want to continue development. That's why I came up with the idea of setting up a different stage."

Kuroda reacted with a surprised look on his face.

"......Don't tell me, you, in another company."

"Yes, I would like to continue development at a company other than Succeedsoft."

There was a buzz among everyone.

"But is that even possible? Just because they froze the IP doesn't mean they gave it up. I don't think the Executive Director would allow that..."

Kawasegawa said, and I nodded my head,

"Of course, it would be difficult to transfer the project. That's why I didn't think of that from the beginning."

"Then what are you going to do...?"

I looked around at everyone again,

"I want you to think about it. MysClo must have originally had something that preceded the title. That's what caught my attention."

When I had said that much, Miyamoto-san got up from his chair.

"I see, you ... are going to start up a completely new one with the members of that platinum generation?"

I nodded heavily.

"Yes. I planned a game with the exact same lineup, and then I pitched it to other companies. That was my strategy."

There was a louder buzz than earlier.

The world of video games is known not only for the manufacturers and titles, but also for the names of the creators involved, which have a great impact.

The same was true for MysClo, which was more often referred to as "that character design by Akishima Shino" or "the scenario by Kawagoe Kyoichi" than as "Mystic Clockwork".

Of course, we will never mention the name of MysClo in our promotions, and we will never hint that we are doing so. The idea is to leave no room for Succeed's side to make any claims, and to play the game only on the basis of speculation among users.

"Interesting, if we can announce it at the right time, we will be able to create a strong topic. If people around would make it big news on their own, that would be convenient, too."

Kuroda seemed to go along.

However, Kawasegawa still seems to be worried,

"But I wonder if any of the manufacturers will raise their hands... Considering the relationship with Succeed Soft, I think every manufacturer will be hesitant."

She was right to be concerned. The freezing of that project has already become a hot topic among users and manufacturers.

Is there any place that would willingly accept work by a staff member with such a reputation just because it would be a hot topic? Succeed will surely give them a hard time, and if they make a mistake in their public relations, they may even risk a lawsuit.

"Of course, it will be a tough fight. But I think we can save time by going to the manufacturer who is likely to accept the production cooperation that we have requested from Kojima-san and the others in advance."

Kojima-san nodded,

"Right, at least I don't think you'll be turned away at the door. But..."

"Yes, it's not the same as cooperating in production. I don't expect it to succeed on the first try."

Unless you have very powerful connections, it will be difficult to get the deal through in a short period of time.

"Will you let me do that?"

Suddenly, Miyamoto-san raised his hand.

"I'm not saying it's certain, but there are a few old friends who are now in high positions. I can at least talk to them first."

"Seriously, that would be great!"

It should be much more advantageous than talking from nothing.

"But, Miyamoto-san, doing that means..."

For a moment, I stopped.

To discuss such matters with multiple manufacturers naturally entails the risk of being discovered by the executive director. In addition, Miyamoto-san is in a precarious position within the company because of the leak.

"If it's me, I'll be fine. I mean, since I've done things that should have gotten me fired, it's a life I've already thrown away. I'll leave it with Hashiba."

"......I get it."

I guess Miyamoto-san's mind must have been firmly set from the moment he spoke to me in front of my house that day.

In order not to let our determination go to waste, we need to sell this project as well as Miyamoto-san and other key staff members to that manufacturer.

And there is one more major confirmation to proceed with this operation.

"Kawasegawa, so ... do you agree?"

Kawasegawa has always had stronger feelings for MysClo than anyone else.

If we use this means, even if we succeed, the name of MysClo will disappear. Even if the material is inherited, it will only be a new work. I wonder if it is possible for her to proceed with this with her own consent.

With everyone's eyes on her, Kawasegawa wore her usual dignified expression,

"Of course. I'd like to bet my hand on it."

Almost simultaneously, we nodded to each other.

I knew it was time to turn on the heat we had stored together on that vacation.

"If everyone else is OK with it, I'm going to move today ... Is that okay?"

Everyone nodded vigorously. The sadness and despair on their faces were gone.

"All right, let's move then."

With a powerful declaration, we moved on to the next phase.

We proceeded at full speed to conclude the contract. Thanks to Miyamoto-san's persuasive approach, the client was enthusiastic from the start, and things were moving quickly.

But I felt it was too slow. If I didn't hurry, I wouldn't make it in time for that.


Part 13

A week after the meeting, with everyone running around, I finally made contact with someone and was able to talk to her at a certain place.

"I can't believe you would even use a fake name, Miyamoto." (Note: This is still Hashiba Kyoya POV)

"I'm sorry. I really wanted to ask for your cooperation."

"To me...? I thought you didn't want to see me anymore."

Funabashi-san let out a big sigh. It was obvious that some pressure was being exerted on her company, as they were not answering their phones no matter how many times we called, and when we visited the company in person, they would not respond to our calls.

"First, I'd like to ask you, by any chance, the reason I couldn't get in touch with you for so long is because..."

"It's just as you imagine. Executive Director Matsuhira, his orders."

I knew it, was that so?

"I was stupid enough to realize it after I started working on the project, but Matsuhira has a lot of contacts in the major media. He is not bad looking and speaks well, so he was very popular. Naturally, he had a strong link with the upper management of our company."

One day, while working with Miyamoto-san and trying to get Grape's leak out, Funabashi-san was suddenly called by his boss.

"It was so straight that it made me laugh, and I was told not to publish the article, because he got a ridiculous scoop instead."

"That was the freeze on the development of MysClo."

"Right," Funabashi-san said, tapping the ash off her cigarette with her finger.

"For the company, even though it was a Succeed's project, they decided they'd rather have a scandal of a big hit project that everyone knows about than a project created by a development they don't know much about."

"And Funabashi-san obeyed."

When I heard that, Funabashi-san's expression hardened,

"Obeyed? Don't kidding me. I kicked the desk and got into a big fight because I'm going to put this one on too."

"I-I'm sorry about that."

"Well, as it turns out, I lost. Suspended from work, no new articles for a while, and ignore all incoming inquiries, and of course shut down any personal stuff. That's how that leak incident ended."

Funabashi-san was fighting for us in her own way. However, the executive director's power was still strong, and Grape's leak plan was squashed, and MysClo was torn down.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's okay, I was prepared when I accepted that kind of thing."

She cut the conversation casually,

"So? You didn't just come here today to find out about the incident, did you?"

I nodded heavily in response to her question.

"We want you to cooperate with us. It would be worth it as a scoop. I'll tell you what it's about now..."

The next moment I opened the document and tried to explain.

"Fine, you don't have to explain."

With her hands, she held down the material,

"I'll take you up on your offer. I'll cooperate, so give me the information I need."

It was too easy and she accepted.

"Y-Yes, uhm, are you sure? This is something that could turn the Executive Director, or rather Succeedsoft, against you. There is more risk in leaking it than in the previous article..."

"The point is, you're trying to tell me that I might get fired, right? Fine, all the better. I'll slap them with a letter of resignation along with the article."

Funabashi-san laughed as he said so.

"Don't underestimate a journalist. I'm going to get this thing through, no matter what. Leave it to me."

I was honestly grateful. This operation, of course, would have had an impact just by putting it on the front page in the usual way, but it took the power of the media to spread the word, to get the buzz going, in short.

But if we remain lacking any means, I am sure the Executive Director will move to control the information. So it was really great to have the cooperation of those in the media here.

"I know what you're aiming for. You want this thing to be ready in time for the Game Expo, right?"

"You're right. Matching it there will determine the success or failure of this plan."

Right, that was exactly why everything had been moving so quickly. I had experience in supporting public relations work, so I knew what information I needed to have by what time.

"That's why I decided as fast as I could. I'm looking forward to your interesting releases."

If she can understand that and move with that understanding, all the better.

"So I have only one condition for accepting it."

Funabashi-san said with a grin, as if her mouth was about to be torn open,

"Make sure you beat the crap out of Matsuhira for this one. That's the condition."

"I-I got it!"


Part 14

We made the movie, title logo, and other materials at a rapid pace, pulled the submission deadline, and managed to make it just in time, just one week before the deadline.

While Kuroda and the others were getting the illustrations together, I was visiting someone to give a report.

"This is the first time we've spoken like this."

"Yeah, well, as I said, I'd like to do this once and for all, this kind of thing."

The other was Kawagoe Kyoichi.

After the announcement of the freeze on development, we lost contact with him for a while. It was not his fault, but because the publishers had requested that he stop contact with us due to the continuous disturbances that had been occurring.

It was understandable, so I did not keep in touch with him for a while.

"But I'm glad I was finally able to report like this."

B-Craft was amused by Kawagoe's initial plan, and even suggested that we give it a solid shape.

So I wanted to be the first to tell him that. The only reason this was rejected was because the upper management at the time didn't have the eyes to see it, and because it was an annoying out-of-field battle, but finally, I could prove it.

"Let's talk specifically about the future."

What we did this time was not to transfer the project after reaching an agreement with Succeedsoft, but to replace all the framework and rework the project.

So many of the names of characters and settings could no longer be used. I made an honest apology for that.

However, as I mentioned earlier, Kawagoe was allowed to freely use any of the rejected proposals that he had made in his original plan. Therefore, Kawagoe was able to use them in abundance in this new work.

"I'm glad it worked out. If the project had gone as it was, I honestly wouldn't have had the face to show you, sensei."

Kawagoe Kyoichi listened to me in silence, but eventually,

"Hey."

Suddenly, he spoke to me.

"Yes, what is it?"

"How could you do that?"

Although the meaning was different, it was almost the same as what I had said to the executive director.

"There was a good chance that you, Hashiba-kun might not have been involved in the reworking of this project. And yet, you and the rest of the staff worked very hard to make it happen. Was there a reason for that?"

As he said, there was no guarantee that we would be able to slide in and take charge of production just because the production company had transferred. However, when I came up with the idea and it seemed feasible, I chose it without hesitation.

Because,

"It would be a waste not to introduce such an interesting project to the world."

Yes, what Kawagoe Kyoichi created was overwhelmingly interesting.

That is why I was really angry at the executive director and other upper management who were trying to side-step, trivialize, and demotivate us.

"I don't think making things is something that can be done solely on the basis of interest."

If I had only pursued that, I would have quit this job a long time ago.

But I didn't quit. No matter how many times I suffered terrible things, I had the willpower to go on to the next one.

I think that was the fun of making things.

"...... I see."

Kyoichi Kawagoe nodded and got up from his seat. I picked up the slip and headed for the cash register. When it was time to pay, sensei suddenly said something like this.

"...... Tsurayuki"

"Eh? Did you say something?"

"Rokuonji Tsurayuki. That's my real name. Kawasegawa, Kuroda, and all the old acquaintances call me by my real name, and of course we talk to each other casually."

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember Kuroda calling him that.

I honestly envied the depth of the connection they had since their student days, a relationship that I felt I could not enter into, or a relationship that I could not obtain in any way.

"Hashiba, I'll ask you to do that too."

"Eh?"

"Either Rokuonji or Tsurayuki, ah, but I don't really like my last names, so if you can, please use my first name. I'll casually call you by your first name, so you can call me that, too ... Please."

As I received the receipt and the change, I was a bit stunned for a while.

Kawagoe Kyoichi ...... No, said Tsurayuki, a little embarrassed.

"Let's keep working together, Hashiba ... No, I think Kyoya is better."

Many things have happened since the accident, most of them painful, but if there is only one thing that makes me happy, it is definitely this.


Part 15

With only two days to go before the announcement, we managed to get everything set up. We finished all preparations and reported to Kawasegawa.

Negotiations with the other party had come together in a fairly ideal manner.

The former MysClo staff was accepted without any problems, and although there was some initial discussion of concept and content, everything was left to the creators from that point on.

Considering the production of MysClo, which had been subjected to a number of terrible interventions, which also affected its progress, the conditions for the latter requirement were quite advanced.

However, Kawasegawa still had an unhappy look on her face.

"Are you worried about something?"

"No, it couldn't be more ideal. But if there's one thing, I don't think I've done anything about this plan this time."

Kawasegawa smiled and said so.

"I want to give him payback, too."

And now she is in a hastily inserted interview video. She was speaking with a clear expression about her thoughts on the project and her vision for the future.

Most people at the Game Expo are now watching the video, which is being shown for the first time, and its announcement with amazement.

A dream project that should have been frozen in production some time ago has been announced by rival manufacturer B-Craft in an almost identical form. Such exciting news could not have come at a better time.

The video on the giant screen showed a large message about it over and over again. And Miyamoto-san and I were watching the video of Kawasegawa commenting on the big screen.

"Hashiba, this worked in the end."

I nodded heavily.

"Yes, I'm glad I pushed you to include it. It's a nice comment that makes an impact and shows our feelings about this project."

Naturally, she was leaving Succeedsoft as of today, as she would be appearing in another company's production. It was a last-minute move to avoid leaking the information that she had resigned.

"When you said you wanted to sell to B-Craft, I have to admit that I was a bit puzzled. Yes, it's a good company, but it's also a place that values purity and tradition."

B-Craft was originally a toy manufacturer and did not accept much outsider blood because of its long history. In recent years, however, the company has begun to diversify and has been attracting attention for its interesting attempts, such as the establishment of a development center in Berlin.

Nevertheless, it must have been a gamble with a low success rate.

"But I thought this was the only place. If it had been any other company, I'm sure, in deference to the executive director, we would have had to break up the deal."

A company that was larger than Succeedsoft and could compete with them. This company met those conditions better than any other.

"...That's right. It was the only place where we could fight the Executive Director and Succeed head-on. Well, it was a gamble whether it would work or not."

"Yes, I was really surprised that they accepted. I can't thank you enough, Miyamoto-san."

For the other side, it was a risky deal, even though it was a hot topic. It was definitely Miyamoto-san's skill that brought them to the point where they were ready to talk, and even to the point of signing a contract.

"Well, I just made a connection. I still don't know how it all worked out, but ... that's what happens when the end result is good."

I nodded and moved my eyes to the stage again.

"I wonder if the executive director sees this too."

"I think he is. I think he was originally scheduled to be a panelist today, and I think he'll be watching from his own booth, unless he can't come out of work or something."

"I guess this is a blow to the great executive director."

With a somewhat distant look in his eyes, Miyamoto-san said so. Then he turned to me,

"Hashiba, I'm really ... sorry."

Saying that, he bowed his head again.

"It can't be, me too. I put all the burden on Miyamoto-san, and I couldn't do anything about it."

In the end, it was Miyamoto-san, of all people, who was the one who worked hard on all aspects of the project. He felt an unusual amount of responsibility and was determined to do it himself.

"Hashiba, I've ... decided to leave the company."

"What's so new about it? Me too"

As a result of the recent commotion, it had been decided that all the main members would be transferred to the B-Craft Company. I, and of course Miyamoto-san, had planned to do so as well.

"No, it's not like that."

But Miyamoto-san looked a little sad,

"I'm ... not going to B-Craft."

"Eh?"

I had to ask again. I had not been informed of such a thing at all.

"Is there a problem? I have submitted a list to the other party."

"No, there isn't. It's not about you or the other company. It's my ...... selfish decision."

Miyamoto-san said and chuckled,

"Originally, I didn't come to Succeed to make games. I joined Succeed because I wanted to make manga, and as a result, I was exiled to the 13th department. When I was losing my motivation, I met everyone and Hashiba, and we tried to give shape to Grape."

"That's ... right. That's why from now on..."

"It's you guys' turn to make it from here. I am no longer participating in it. I've realized that once again, including the incident the other day."

In the hall in front of us, users continue to cheer. Miyamoto-san gazed at the scene with narrowed eyes.

"I'm going to the manga publishing place. Just as Funabashi is going to another publication, she's inviting me. I'll start up another project there and support the new MysClo from the outside."

B-Craft is a pure game development company and does not have a publishing department. Therefore, Miyamoto-san was in the development department, but his position as an editor meant that he would have to work in an awkward position. Therefore, changing jobs at a publishing company seemed like a very natural move.

But I think that was still the surface reason. For a long time, Miyamoto-san had felt responsible for the recent uproar. Now that the situation has been resolved, I think his desire to take responsibility for it once again was stronger than anything else.

So I clenched my fists and said.

"...... I appreciate your help. Thank you very much."

If I said anything more, something was going to come up.

"Thank you. It's been a pleasure working with Hashiba here."

He tapped me on the shoulder, and I nodded heavily. The cheers were still ringing out.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next