Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you~

Chapter 3 | Twenty Years of Burning Passion | Remake our Life!

Part 2

The seats that had been filled with a soft atmosphere earlier were now filled with a tense atmosphere. We looked at Mochiyuki-san ― Tsurayuki's father, who was standing in front of us, unable to say anything. Mochiyuki-san was also staring at us without saying a word.

The quiet but strong, straightforward gaze made me feel as if he could see right through me. It was an imposing stance that comes from being an adult who has power and can move it as he pleases.

(Indeed, this is a "sensei".)

Because of his calm atmosphere and the way people in town called him, I initially assumed that Mochiyuki-san was someone in the teaching profession. However, when I thought about it, I realized that there are many other jobs besides being a teacher.

(Lawyer, politician ...and doctor)

From there, I made assumptions and applied various things, and they all fit ― and so on.

Mochiyuki-san still looks straight at us. I can't help but want to look away. But I am sure he will not miss the weakness.

He had such an indescribable power.

“Did you come to bring Tsurayuki back?”

Nothing was wasted. Mochiyuki-san suddenly got to the point.

"Yes, right"

"Kyouya, is it okay, to say that..."

Nanako whispered anxiously.

"It's okay. We can't hide it anyway."

When we came to this town and asked around about Tsurayuki, he must have sensed something unusual. If it was just a trip, we would have contacted in advance before coming, and the fact that we didn't is connected to the fact that we had something to hide.

Mochiyuki-san must have seen through that. That is why he must have approached us in the guise of an old man from the tourist association to find out what kind of people his son's friends were.

However, whether the result is good or bad, the answer that comes out is the same.

"Tsurayuki will not be returning to Geidai. He himself made that decision and reported it to me. He has also confirmed that he will not say anything else. I am sorry to make you waste your time, but please go back to Osaka as it is."

In a way, the answer was what I expected.

"We can't leave yet."

I, too, had prepared those words from the beginning.

"Why? Tsurayuki has already given up creating. That must be why he told me he was quitting Geidai."

Indeed, from what I have heard, I can only assume that this is the case, and Tsurayuki himself told me that it was already over.

"Even so. I still ... can't believe he's given up."

But that guy has left lingering regrets. The leave of absence thing is one thing, and he's showing us other bits and pieces of potential.

Unless all those things disappeared... I couldn't give up.

"Even if I explain to you that he definitely said that?"

"Yes. Even you say so."

Mochiyuki-san's eyebrows seemed to frown a little, as if he were displeased.

But then, as soon as his expression returns to normal again,

"I understand how you guys feel."

After saying that, he nodded slightly.

"Now let me tell you my story."

His voice was quiet but full of dignity. I wondered if I could have this kind of voice if I continued to accumulate successful experiences over time.

"I think you've already heard from Tsurayuki that the Rokuonji family is a family of doctors."

I nodded. Tsurayuki had already told me about a medical group called the Deer Park Association and its ties to the political and business world.

"Medical care is an organization. There are those who loudly cry out about the problem of collusion, but in order for many people in rural areas to receive satisfactory medical care, there must be a solid system and ties with the central government."

I think so.

Once, when I was a working adult, I read a nonfiction book about a doctor who had a medical group operating throughout Japan.

He fought the elections with a live-fire offensive and continued to deploy what could be called reckless tactics, earning him the label of an oddball and a nuisance. However, as a result, he was able to establish medical care in what is called a remote area.

Special techniques, and expensive medical equipment. It is inevitable that some kind of interest is involved. However, as long as they do not lose sight of the true goal of "curing many people's illnesses," I think that is all that is necessary.

“To maintain the system, human resources are essential above all else. You can hire the best doctors in the field, but when it comes to the core of the system, it is best to hire your own people. This is because there is no need to impose a philosophy on them after the fact, and the principle of action in an emergency is consistent.”

Mochiyuki-san's eyes sharpened.

After saying all that at once, he took a sip of tea and quietly put down the cup.

"The history of Rokuonkai, which has continued since the time when it was the feudal lord of the Kawagoe clan, will never cease. I hope that Tsurayuki will work well here to continue to provide proper medical care to this community."

Those were serious words. Now that I think about it, it seems to me that everything, from being guided through the history of Kawagoe to eating the historic eel, was a foreshadowing of these words.

"―However"

Mochiyuki-san cut off his words there.

“If Tsurayuki had truly, from the bottom of his heart, chosen the path of a writer as what he wanted to accomplish, I would have given him a choice by severing our relationship.”

Surprisingly, there seemed to be some approval on this point.

But in the words that followed,

"But Tsurayuki was frustrated. He insisted that this was what he wanted to do."

It was clear to me that Mochiyuki-san had clearly cut all this off.

"In the end, he gave up and came back on his own accord, and even after his return, he still had no spirit to do anything but wander around, so there is no excuse for him to say that he was just playing around from the beginning."

My heart ached. If it had not been for the incident with me, Tsurayuki would never have come back here.

If it ended like this, I would have given him the lead.

"That is all. I'm sure we have nothing more to talk about, so I'll leave you to it. Please make yourselves comfortable."

Mochiyuki-san quietly got up from his seat, bowed as deeply as the owner, who bowed deeply, and walked out of the restaurant with an air of dignity.

We remained silent for a long time in front of the tea, which had completely cooled down.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next