Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Chapter 17

I woke up in the morning. The continuous knocking on the door for a few minutes made me unable to stand it anymore. Who the hell is this early in the morning!? Whereas yesterday I put Henrietta to sleep so I could sleep well.

"Good morning, Miss Ophelia."

When I put on the scarf and opened the door, I saw Claude's bright smile. It was a smile that could make anyone who saw it feel better, but for me right now it wasn't very pleasant. I'm not a morning person.

"......Inspector."

"Ah, Claude is enough."

"Then Claude."

He came here alone, then he said, "Oops! I've done something rude." He said, maybe it was because he saw the expression on my face that looked tired.

“This is indeed still…. …What happened?”

"I've been rude. At noon, I have to go out to deliver a telegram, so I'm in a hurry."

Claude lowered his head and tried to end the conversation. But I wonder why he visited me in the morning like this. Claude took a step back and blinked blankly as I tugged at the hem of his robes.

"Ah......"

"Please tell me. Why did you come here?"

"Ah, it's really nothing important. I just wanted to ask about the Duke."

"Then I want to hear more."

I grabbed the hem of Claude's robe a little tighter. Did Claude see Alexander crying in my arms last night? All I found was Henrietta, but… As an investigator, it wouldn't be difficult for him to conceal his presence and watch from afar.

"Did... you know that I have access to every part of the Duke's Manor because I have a search warrant?"

"Yes, do you want to check my room too?"

I opened the door wider and asked. Claude laughed out loud.

"No, another time."

"Whenever you want it won't be a problem, I-"

"Thank you. About that... A little while ago, I went to the Duke's room. As expected, he was furious. Still, I showed him the warrant. After that, he allowed me. Then.. ."

Claude paused here for a moment and looked at me. And he patted the back of his neck as if embarrassed. I also asked,

"......Then?"

"I opened a drawer and found a fairly old diary. I wanted to take a look, but Duke kicked me out. He was really strong, I was shocked because he could lift a grown man so easily."

Claude blushed as if he was embarrassed by what he said.

"I didn't know where else to go after being chased away like that, so I wandered around aimlessly. Then as soon as I realized, I was already in front of Miss Ophelia's room."

"It seems Alex really hates it."

"Yeah, that's normally the case. But I think Duke's overreacting."

Alexander was the one who didn't blink an eye even when Adrian screamed. Of course, what Claude said was true. He's a little over the top. I tried not to laugh at the thought of Claude being picked up by Alexander like a sack.

"That's like an invasion of privacy. If I were him, I think I'd kick you out too, Sir Claude."

Ah, I can't take it anymore. I raised my hand and covered the corner of my lips that kept rising. And I thought, I want to reveal anything related to the investigation, but I also don't think I would be comfortable if he dug too deep into my private life.

"Is it like that? I'm sorry."

Claude raised the corners of his eyes. He shook his head, saying that his actions as an investigator were bad. Leaning against the door, I said,

"When this case is over, take a vacation. You said you wanted to pay a visit to the Holy Empire."

"Would you like to come with me, Miss Ophelia?"

"That's something we don't know yet."

"You are too much."

During the conversation, Claude subconsciously looked back. It has been snowing for several days, and this morning the weather seems to be getting better. The sun was shining and the snow on the windowsill was slowly starting to melt.

"The weather's nice. I think I'll go now."

"Aren't you going to check my room?"

"It looks like you just woke up. How could I do something like that? I'm sorry. Then, I'll be going."

When Claude finished speaking, he stretched out his hand and placed it on his forehead. He gave a playful salute and turned around, then left. I, who was still leaning against the doorway, looked down as the yellow-haired Claude made his way to the carriage. Then I returned to the room, thinking about the diary.

Then it hit me. Although he admits that his hobby is reading, we never met near the library. And there aren't any books in his room, I think the diary he hides is surprising.

I leaned against the edge of the bed and looked around the large room. Clenching my cold hands, I smiled briefly.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?