Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

This chapter is really long, so I decided to divide it into 2 parts

***

Chapter 16 Part 1

Claude summoned a large number of servants remaining in the Manor, he said that he should gather more testimonies even after interviewing me and Alexander. That's why dinner time got delayed.

I only know that Alexander who I met in the corridor earlier looked very angry so I don't think he will want to have dinner with me. But as soon as I didn't go downstairs to the dining hall, he sent a maid to fetch me. I don't know why he is so obsessed with me who often skips meals.

In his free time, he's thinking about feeding me a little more, worried because my wrists are too skinny. Do I, who has been abandoned by my mother look very worrying?

"Miss Ophelia."

Alexander wasn't the only person in the dining room. Claude was also there. He immediately greeted me.

"Before you came, I felt a bit short of breath. Apparently, this investigator is not welcome here. So, I subconsciously just watched."

Claude spoke while shrugging his shoulders. As he said, the atmosphere of this dining room was gloomy.

The maids carrying the trays looked stiffer than usual as if they were nervous, and Alexander who was sitting in the main seat turned his head away from me, as if whether I came here or not didn't matter. Then why did he call me?

"I think I know how it feels. It feels familiar to me."

I raised my hand to the maid who was pouring water. The glass full of water vibrated.

Maybe because of the angle, it wasn't my face that was reflected in the glass, but Alexander's. His face was cold, he didn't smile at all.

"I heard that Miss Ophelia will be leaving after the Duke's Coming of Age Ceremony is over."

Claude spoke to me. I was wondering if it would be possible, but then again, it looks like I will do it. There was no point in talking about it in front of Alexander.

Now Alexander turned away from me as if he was protesting against it, but he kept making preposterous excuses that the Duke's Manor needed me.

"......That's right. Actually, we already talked about it."

I rolled my eyes and glanced at Alexander while saying that. Once again, he broke the fork he was holding.

"May I ask where you are going?"

Is this also part of the investigative process? The gazes of other people in this room apart from Claude were also on me. Alexander was really like a child, he was mad at me, ignored me, and was also curious about me. This time it was I who turned away from Alexander. I looked at Claude as if Alexander wasn't there.

"I want to travel. To the Holy Empire where the Holy See is."

"Oh, that's a great place. It's a country I've always wanted to visit."

Claude showed deep sympathy. When I said that I wanted to go to the Ladder of the Saints, it was said that for every rung we climbed our sins would be erased. Claude looked excited, he even banged his glass.

"Me too. I really want to climb that ladder."

"It seems that you have committed many sins."

"Haha. Are you acting as an investigator now? That's the first place tourists will visit."

His words were true. The most famous place in the Holy Empire is the Stairs of the Saints.

"The legend about the ladder goes beyond that. It is said that when a man and a woman hold hands and climb the ladder together, they are bound forever."

"Yes, I heard that."

"Miss Ophelia, do you have a man to go with?"

In Arpad, I didn't even see a man my age except for Alexander. So of course none. Finally, I shook my head regretfully, Claude squinted one eye without saying a word. I smiled as if I was helpless.

"......That sounds like you want to go with me. Surely not that, right?"

"I didn't mean that. I was just curious about Miss Ophelia's answer."

Claude took the joke lightly. Can investigators do that? He's too presumptuous. I think I understand why my mother chose a sense of humor as a condition for seeing men after looks, wealth, and power. In an instant, the atmosphere turned more relaxed.

"I was worried that I caught a busy person's ankle."

"Does that mean if I'm not busy you're willing to go with me?"

"I want you to figure it out yourself."

It was so nice to see Alexander's reaction, I got carried away. I'm not a talkative person, but I even joked with Claude many times. Although he is associated with being tough and stoic because of his job as an investigator, he turns out to be quite a cheerful person. I would have believed that this was a young man one could meet at the market.

Alexander didn't even interfere in the conversation, as he was still sulking. He was just cutting up his favorite steak, and in the end, he barely ate it. Then, when I, who was done eating dessert first and got up, he followed me as if he couldn't take it anymore.

"......You haven't finished eating. You don't need to accompany me."

Leaving Claude behind and exiting the dining hall, Alexander followed me silently until I reached the stairs. Come on, do you have anything to say? You have broken 6 forks and 6 knives.

I stopped walking and turned to him.

"Are you telling me that I look happy again? Alexander, you're overreacting. You're not the only one who knows how to get angry."

He lowered his head like he had a soul and just listened to me quietly. It's not like talking to a wall or anything like that. Out of frustration, I furrowed my brows. Claude's way of talking did make me laugh, but I was actually in a bad mood.

"......Sis."

"......What?"

Alexander answered in a low voice after a while. I didn't really hear him so I approached him. But why should I do that? Alexander was the one who got angry and turned to me first.

Alexander is a man who it difficult to know what his true intention is. Therefore, it is very stupid if you try to find meaning while being swayed by every action that is difficult to understand.

Wouldn't I be able to match the rhythm with the never-ending game of brother and sister?

I turned my back. Take a step, go up. Alexander spoke in a slightly louder voice.

"......Alex, Sis. I hate being called Alexander."

It's not funny. How can you say something like that in a situation like this?

"Does it matter?"

I asked while tilting my head as if I didn't understand. He frowned.

"It's important. It's important. It's important."

Alexander repeats the same words like a broken doll. His hand holding the banister was shaking so hard I could see it clearly. He couldn't take it anymore and shout,

"Yeah, I was wrong! I lied! So don't say such pathetic things like in a week, on my 20th birthday, you'll be gone!"

Haha. I smiled briefly as if sneering at him, but quickly the smile disappeared.

"......You know that very well."

As soon as I heard it, I was shocked. That's what you wanted to say, to the extent that you kept following me all the way here.

"......"

Alexander turned his head to avoid my gaze. But he immediately looked my way and took a step closer.

"But Sister, you make me look like a very stupid person. Please don't leave me, I've said those words a hundred times already. But those are just sounds that pass through your ears.... ...Shit! Why are you talking like that with that man?"

His silver-gray eyes crinkled as if hurt. I can't imagine how serious that is. He looks in a lot of pain.

Seeing Alexander display such strong emotions, made me feel uneasy. I want to go. But still can't go. Do you want me not to go and continue like this?

So far it's all been a joke. However, when he asked the question, "Do you really want it?" It becomes too heavy a thing. Why do you look so miserable? Because Claude was trying to dig up the truth?

"You have no reason to be angry. We promised. When you become an adult, let me go."

Honestly, I can't count how many times I've argued with him about this. I always pretended that I didn't hear anything, then Alexander would let this go, pretending as if nothing had happened.

But today. Starting today.

Alexander did not back down. He climbed the stairs and stood directly below me. Because I stood one step taller than him, our eyes were in the same line. We stared at each other, but I don't know why I started to shake. Cold white air escaped between his gaping lips.

"That promise, can't we make a new one?"

.

.

.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?