Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Chapter 15

"Did anyone show anything suspicious that day?"

"I don't know, because I overslept."

Claude recorded every word I said in his notebook without a single gap. He was a man with eyes that seemed to smile even when he was silent. The bones in his sizable hands were thick, and he had many scars, perhaps because he had suffered so much as an investigator.

Claude who finished writing glanced at me.

"The carriage didn't roll down the slope. Someone deliberately loosened the wheels."

"......How terrible."

I closed my eyes tightly and opened them again. I imagined a terrified Mother hugging Duke and screaming loudly. The friction caused by the carriage's fall into the ravine set the carriage on fire.

"I hope the real culprit is caught soon."

"I hope so."

"Do you have any more questions? I will do my best to assist with the investigation."

I put my hand in front of my chest and slightly leaned towards Claude. I want to show that I support him. Maybe it was because he saw Alexander's face that turned cold as soon as Claude revealed his identity.

***

It seemed that for some reason, Alexander really disliked Claude. Given his position as the heir to this family, that was understandable. Claude came straight to the Manor without even getting permission to visit, then he sat down in the living room and said that he would start an investigation without asking Alexander's opinion.

"Looks like the Duke isn't ready yet, so we'll start from the beauty that is here first."

Moreover, wasn't he currently treating Alexander like an uninvited guest? That makes all of this even more uncomfortable. Alexander was forced to keep his mouth shut because Claude had documents containing the imperial seal with him.

'It was an intentional incident, not an accident.'

It hurts me to try to remember what happened 3 years ago. Because of that, the old memories that I had buried deep within my heart were now surfacing one by one.

But if someone is deliberately trying to harm my mother and the Duke, I must know the truth. She is a mother who has experienced various kinds of scandals in her life. Despite her death with the Duke, there were only a few people who sympathized with her.

'If only Isolde didn't exist!'

I still vividly remember how red-haired Catherine screamed and glared at me with vengeance. And she did it in front of many nobles and servants.

***

"Miss, who do you think would dare to do such a cruel thing to the carriage that the Duke and Duchess are riding in?"

Claude put down his notebook and asked. I was thinking about my mother's last appearance when she climbed into the carriage with her blond hair flowing like a pearl.

I told Claude that I overslept and didn't see anything, but that day I was by the window watching the Duke and my mother leave. I watched them leave, holding the syringe I found in the locker room.

But that has nothing to do with the investigation. It was something I didn't want to tell Claude. Of course, no one knows. As I watched the carriage move away, I burned all the syringes hidden here and there.

My mother's secret is kept by me.

"......I'll be honest with you."

"Please."

Claude leaned his upper body as if interested. He and I exchanged glances at the low table separating us. He slightly lowered his eyes, looked at my slowly parting lips,

"There are too many people so it's hard to choose one. I don't know much about the reputation of the previous Duke Arpad, but my mother isn't someone many people like."

On the contrary, she was a woman who aroused the sympathy of men with much jealousy surrounding her. If my mother, a beautiful woman created a sad atmosphere, showing signs of sadness. Then the men will definitely rip their stomachs and give their hearts.

She has been married several times. So it's not surprising that other women talk about my mother, even talking about my mother's husbands too. My mother used to say that it was something a woman who was born with beauty had to endure, but well... My opinion was different from my mother's.

"As a daughter, you make a very cold and objective evaluation of her."

Claude said it in surprise. Although she is a good mother to me, but not to other people. I bit my lip, slightly regretful.

"I was skeptical of my mother's marriage to Duke Arpad."

"What is the reason?"

"Because the North is a cold, dark place and the winters are long. I'm from the South."

"The reason is simpler than I thought."

"What else do you want to know?"

What's important right now isn't what I think about my mother's marriage to the Duke. Isn't the purpose of this investigation to find the culprit? I wondered what other information I could give Claude.

"For now, that's all. I'll start looking for witnesses."

Claude smiled with a tired face, saying that there were a lot of people he had to meet after he talked to me. It would take a lot of time to talk to everyone in the Arpad Manor one by one. Claude said as if he noticed my curious gaze.

"The situation was unfavorable, so I arrived at the Arpad Manor first. In a few days, another investigator will come after the blizzard has passed."

I nodded. Actually, the situation outside the Manor wasn't that good. It's been 3 years that I've been in the Arpad Manor, and this is the first time I've seen such bad weather. The snow continued to fall non-stop for a week as if to give a hint that something was going to happen.

"Then I'll head out. Would you like something to drink?"

"You are very kind. A cup of tea to warm the body is enough."

"Would you like some alc*hol?"

"That's good. Should I get drunk at work?"

Claude thanked me for my cooperation, he got up and held out his big hand to me. When I shook hands with his large hand, his eyes widened as if amazed. Then he smiled, lifting one corner of his mouth gracefully.

Wait! I think I've met someone who smiles like that.

"......Have we met somewhere?"

I asked the question, but no face immediately came to mind. There were so many people I met while my mother and I were moving around, how could I remember every detail?

"Does my face such an unremarkable face?"

"Ah, that's not what I meant."

"I used to hear that I looked handsome enough for an investigator, but now your words hurt me."

Claude put the hand holding the pen to his chest, pretending to be hurt. I laughed out loud at his funny appearance, he let go of his hand that was still shaking with me.

"This is unrelated to the investigation, but you have a very beautiful smile."

"......Thank you for the compliment."

"Are you disappointed that it was such a cliche compliment? In that case, please forget what I said."

"No, it's always nice to receive compliments."

I shook my head. If the two of us talk to each other like this, it seems only words that have nothing to do with the investigation will continue to flow. So I decided to leave him and let the person who was waiting for their next turn enter.

"......Alex?"

I thought he had gone to his room. It was Alexander who should be interviewed by Claude first, but his irritation caused the interview sequence to go awry. Though I was hoping the person to be interviewed next would be a servant.

Alexander leaned sideways against the wall, he crossed his arms. He stared at the window as if thinking about something. Then, when I called his name, he slowly turned his head and looked at me.

"You look happy, Sis."

After saying that, he just left me and went to the living room. Alexander slammed the door so hard that I shuddered. That's surprising.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?