Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Chapter 14

Wrapped in a soft fur coat as precious as pearls, I stared out the window with my back to the blazing fireplace. Snowy afternoon. From the reflection of the window, I could see Alexander who had grown to 190 cm tall was lying on the sofa and reading.

"Every day the view is always the same, but you don't get tired of looking at it."

He raised his silver-gray eyes and looked at me. I turned and smiled at him.

"After I leave Arpad, when else will I be able to see winter and snow like this? I must see more of it before I leave."

There are moments when the day goes slowly like a turtle. Even so, three years passed quickly. As soon as I wake up, Alexander will be an adult in a week.

"......You're still saying that. It's as if you're going to disappear any time soon."

Alexander put down the book he was reading. I saw him walking towards me, in the reflection of the window I could see his stern expression.

"If my sister is gone, how can I survive alone? Please also consider this position of your sweet little brother."

He smoothed my messy hair from wearing a fox fur coat. Because he swept my hair to one side, the back of my neck was exposed. Carefully, Alexander touched my neck.

"Are you wearing perfume? It smells good."

"Don't act like a dog. That's right. Henrietta liked the smell, so I tried wearing it."

"Calling me a dog, that's too much."

And then, Alexander buried his nose in my neck and inhaled it. This is overkill. I've never had a brother, but I know that no brother or even a sister acts like this. I took a step to the side.

"Alexander."

"......You will say that I crossed the line again."

"That's you know. What would people think if they saw us?"

"Yeah, they'll think we're close siblings. Isn't that right?"

This conversation is pointless. I felt dizzy, so I pressed my forehead against the cold window.

"Don't do that. You could catch a cold. You said you weren't weak, but you fell sick several times. I don't want to see you sick."

A thick palm touched my forehead. He slipped his hand between the window and my forehead.

I closed my eyes and opened them again, I felt warmth. In the distance, I could see the silhouette of a person walking through the blizzard toward this Manor.

"Who's coming? Is it a guest? In this weather."

Alexander shrugged his shoulders as if it didn't matter.

"It seems there is something urgent. Could it be that someone in his family is sick or the food is running out?"

It seemed Alexander had no interest in guests coming to the Manor in this weather. Actually, I am the same. After standing by the window for a long time, I changed places, I was slightly shivering from the cold.

"By the way, your Adulthood Ceremony is coming up soon. Is it okay for you to continue spending time reading books?"

As I approached the fireplace, the embers repeatedly grew and smaller as if welcoming me. I picked up the book lying on the sofa. 'He's reading yet another scary novel about a child who kills his parents.'

"Alexander, I think your taste is very unique."

I closed the book and put it on the table. Then, sat down on the sofa and stared blankly at the fireplace.

"This is provocative."

He didn't stay by the window, he kept following me. Although we still feel uncomfortable with each other, we have become closer in 3 years which is quite long but also quite short. Even though it feels like just yesterday we were drifting apart and avoiding each other.

I can't remember exactly when, but we spent quite a lot of time in the living room until late at night. Neither he nor I talk much, most of the time we spend drinking tea or reading books together.

"Didn't you protest me with the novel?"

I didn't miss his gaze turned cold for a single moment. Alexander's cufflinks fell to the floor, making a small sound as if it was intentional. He muttered while looking at the fallen cufflink as if he was regretful,

"I thought it was just a little loose when I put it on, but it finally broke."

"If I were you, I would wear something different."

"It's a cufflink, so it can be put back on."

Alexander picked up the fallen cufflink and sat down next to me. Then he looked at his cufflinks and his sleeves one by one, then looked at me with a confused look on his face.

"......"

I ignore it. It was obvious that he was nagging at me instead of doing what he was supposed to be doing, ringing the bell and calling for the maids.

"Henrietta is on vacation... What should I do?"

"Then you can call Margo."

"Who's Margo?"

"A maid with long brown hair who just started working a while ago."

"......I really can't do anything without my sister in Arpad. It makes it easier for me to have someone take care of the management of the Manor."

I hear Alexander's words and ponder which maid hasn't left work by now. Because holiday time was approaching, so many maids had already gone home.

"That's it, there's no need to rush. You can ask the maids to pair it tomorrow."

Until the end I still looked away, Alexander clicked his tongue and grumbled. I tilted my head and laughed out loud.

"Okay, give it to me. But I'm not good at sewing."

"No. I'm worried that my sister's delicate hands will be pricked by the needles."

"Don't talk like that and give it to me."

"......"

Alexander was silent while holding his cufflink. I have to fix it. I picked up a box of embroidery kits lying in the corner of the living room. Because my mother's hobby is embroidery, so ever since she came to this Manor, there are boxes like this all over the Manor.

"You say you're not good at it, but sometimes you do embroidery and sewing here."

"Because this is my mother's hobby."

In this way, I could imitate my mother's favorite clothes, hairdos, and hobbies. Now that my mother is no longer in this world. When I fix the dress that my mother usually wears, I feel like I'm being hugged by her.

As Alexander said, sometimes I sew here. Sewing is also done for the same reason. But I'm not very skilled, so I often hurt my hand. Even so, I still enjoy doing it because I can erase the thoughts that arise when I'm embroidering or sewing.

"And... ...It's about the management of the Manor. That matter will be solved once we find the Mistress of the House."

After taking off his vest, Alexander contemplated whether he should take off his shirt or not. On the surface, I did say we were close siblings, but I was still a bit awkward showing my naked body in front of her. Yes, she did see me naked at practice.

"I'm too young to think about marriage."

"Young from where?"

When I heard his words, I shook my head. He would soon turn 20, but with such a strong physique, who would believe he was that young?

"Sister, aren't you treating me like a child? Don't drink too much... Don't stay up too late..."

"It is reasonable."

And I didn't nag him at all. It was just like a passing sound. I remember every useless thing. I glanced at Alexander as he desperately unbuttoned his shirt as if he had finally decided to take off the shirt.

"Bring a change of clothes. Don't tell me you're going to be shirtless until I finish sewing?"

"What else can I do? Before, you said that my body is good."

"What!?"

I rolled my eyes. Suddenly I felt a rush of heat on my cheek. I am so ashamed. Once, I did say that, but... I thought Alexander didn't hear it.

"Why do you look so annoyed? Nothing will happen between me and my sister when I take off my clothes."

"It would be a big problem if that happened."

Yes, that's correct. I pretended like nothing was wrong and restrained my expression. Shortly after, Alexander, who was already shirtless, held out his shirt to me. I lowered my eyes and threaded the needle so I wouldn't keep looking at his muscular upper body.

"Hand."

"Hah?"

"Careful."

I replied "Yes." My hand which was held by Alexander started to look trembling. His hand gripped mine tightly as if he wanted to lead me.

Knock, knock, knock...

"Enter."

Alexander answered while I continued to sew. The door opened and the butler entered. He frowned as he watched us sitting side by side on the couch in a familiar way.

"Sir. ...Honorable Guest, Miss Ophelia."

It seems I have not been accepted into this family. Even after 3 years have passed, only Henrietta and a few maids have called me 'Miss'. To them, I am still an outsider. Not a girl of the Arpad Family, but a guest who had stayed at the Arpad Manor for a long time.

T/N: Actually here the butler calls her "Miss Ophelia" but the word 'Miss' here refers to that 'Guest'. I was confused about how to translate the language, so I decided to use "Honored Guest, Miss Ophelia" instead. Hehe

"Honorable Guest? You said 'Guest'? Sis, have they always called you that?"

"Sir, I didn't mean that."

"I didn't ask you."

Alexander's voice mixed with anger. It was nice to see the butler sweating profusely like that. I finished the stitches while watching the strange war of nerves between them.

"What took you so long?"

The voice coming from outside sounded unfamiliar. There seems to be a commotion out there. 'Let go!', 'No. Without permission from Master-', 'I have reason to meet him, here it is.', 'However, permission from Master must be obtained first...'

"What happened?"

Alexander asks, he took his shirt from me. There was absolutely no 'thank you' from him.

"Ah, Duke. May the lowly person like me come inside?"

I think that person is a well-spoken person. The man who was the main character in the commotion didn't even wipe off the snow that had accumulated on his short hair.

"I think you have entered this room. Do you still need my permission?"

Alexander laughed exasperatedly. The man pushed the butler away and stood by the door. He had a muscular physique and his skin was a copper color as if he wasn't a Northerner.

"My name is Claude. Because I am a commoner so I don't have a family name."

He rummaged through his belongings and held out the ID card with the golden wolf crest on it. First Class Investigator, Claude. Looking at that golden wolf crest, it seems that he's an emissary from the Imperial Family.

"Investigator?"

I blinked my eyes and muttered. From the distant Capital to Arpad in the North, what does a First Class Investigator want to do?

"Sir, If you understand, then I shall proceed to the main topic."

Claude winked playfully. And after coughing to clear his voice, he said,

"I'm sure no one has forgotten the Duke and Duchess Arpad's carriage accident that occurred today 3 years ago. Their deaths were unfortunate, especially when the carriage they were riding in slipped off a slope and fell into a ravine. From the investigation, there are surprising things."

He looked around, at me, Alexander, and the servants who were here.

"I want to tell you, it is most likely the incident happened on purpose, not an accident."


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?