Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you~

Chapter 2 | The City He Stepped On | Remake our Life!


Part 7

Leaving Hikawa Shrine behind, we returned to Central Avenue.

Exactly one hour later, the old man called me and we decided to have lunch at a nice restaurant he had recommended.

"Ah... it's here"

Along the street of central avenue, there was a restaurant that looked like an old private house. I was a little nervous because it was an eel restaurant, but it had a very friendly, family-like atmosphere, the opposite of the high-class restaurant ...... where a dress code seems to be required.

When I entered the restaurant, the old man was already sitting in the back. As we sat down on the familiar-looking cushions, the smell of burnt sauce tickled my nose.

While we were waiting for the eel to be ready, he gave us a tour of "Kawagoe and Eel".

“One of Kawagoe's specialties is eel. In the old days, the eel was a common fish caught in the Iruma and Arakawa Rivers, and was an important source of protein in these areas where there were no oceans.”

And so, there was a line of delicious-looking broiled eels in front of us.

"Kyouya, this... doesn't it look a little expensive?"

"Yeah, I thought so too."

The thick, delicious-looking eel was so tightly packed that you could hardly see the rice. I don't know which of the "Matsu, Take, and Ume" (pine, bamboo, and plum) eel types was used, but I guessed that it was the highest quality.

"Don't worry. Yes, it is a fine eel, but it is very reasonably priced."

"I-Is that so..."

That said, I suspect it is not at the level of a beef bowl served at a well-known chain restaurant.

And perhaps the old man is also the one who pays for this restaurant. He's been taking care of us since the first time he showed us around, and he even treated us to lunch, which I think is indeed beyond the level of guide.

"This is also part of the guide."

I don't think so.

Anyway, we were a little hesitant as we ate the eel on rice.

"What is this, this is so delicious...!"

Nanako, who took a bite right away, opened her eyes and raised her voice.

"Really, this is a really tasty eel."

The moment I put it in my mouth, the fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth meat combined with the flavor of the exquisite sauce instantly filled my mouth with happiness.

“I am glad to hear that it suits your palate. This restaurant has been dedicated to eels since the Meiji era, so they have accumulated a lot of experience in this field.”

Despite being such a famous restaurant, the atmosphere was soft and unpretentious, which I appreciated very much. If it had been a formal restaurant like a Japanese cooking restaurant, I would not have been able to enjoy the taste of the food.

All together, we ate it all at once, delicious and tasty, and the next thing we knew, after-meal tea was being brought to us.

"As expected of youngsters, you eat a lot. I envy you."

He said so, but he himself finished eating the same amount of food as we did at about the same time. Looking at him again, I realized that he had a solid physique, with a slim stomach and good style. He was so fit that I wondered if he was still active in sports.

"Come to think of it, I didn't know anything about you two. If you don't mind, may I ask?"

"Ah, yes, that's okay."

We told him our names, the college we attended, and what we were doing.

"Hou... Geidai, is it? What's your major?"

"Yes, we are doing video. Filming and directing movies―"

I wasn't sure if the old man would understand what I was telling him,

"That's nice. I used to enjoy music too. I am very envious that you can study such things at school."

And surprisingly, he seemed to understand.

"Can you tell me more? About the college"

We had a lot of fun and talked about many things. The difficulties we had in making the film, the things we did in other art classes, the trips we all took together to shoot the film... To all of them, the old man nodded his head in interest.

“So, are you aiming to become an artist in the future?”

In response to the old man's question, we looked at him with a face that could neither be taken as a denial nor an affirmation.

"I have that thought, but... right now, I'm studying."

“Not everyone can be like that, and I'm in charge of production, so I'd like to work in support of everyone.”

The old man nodded,

"You guys are serious. And realistic. You don't seem to be chasing dreams all the time like my son."

The old man lowered his gaze for the first time here.

"Is your son on this side of the world too...?"

At my question, the old man shook his head.

"No, he already quit. But I'm glad he did. It's foolish to get carried away with something that is so unstable, and where you know you're going to fail."

It was a calm tone, but it was a way of saying that somehow felt cold.

"Is he really so stupid?"

"Yes. It is just foolish to say that he has a dream only because he does not know who he is, does not have the skills, and does not have the will strong enough to sweep it all away."

I understand what the old man is saying. In working in an unstable, unpredictable creative world, it is a minimum task to accumulate as much groundwork as you can. If you can't do that, chasing after your dreams, you may be said to be not paying enough attention to your feet.

But if you are told so clearly that it is stupid, it makes everything sound pointless. Even though there are many aspects that are not so. But right now, I am not sure enough to put it into words and express it outwardly.

"That's ..."

I was about to say it, but I was at a loss for words.

Because I realized that what the old man had said earlier was too unnaturally and a "certain thing" caught me.

(Eh, wait a minute...)

About his son, who's always chasing dreams, already quit,

All of these are so unnaturally and conveniently true.

The fact that he talked to us about such a thing is―.

“Well, then, may I ask you about oji-san this time instead?”

Trying to change the atmosphere, Nanako said with a joyful air.

"... No, that won't be necessary."

But I interrupted it.

"Eh? Why? Kyouya doesn't want to know about oji-san?"

"I want to know. But at least I know who oji-san is."

I turned to the old man and said so.

"As I heard from my son, you seem to be a very intuitive and perceptive man."

We met at a familiar coffee shop.

Suddenly, a friendly tourist information man appeared.

We feasted on this and that as recommended, and I thought it was a bit out of our league for a mere guide.

All of that would make sense if the hunch I have is correct.

That's why,

“Tsurayuki’s... father, right?”

I thought that was the only answer.

"Eh?! Tsu, Tsurayuki's...?"

While Nanako alternately looked at him and me in surprise, the old man was,

"―Nice to meet you. I'm Tsurayuki's father, Rokuonji Mochiyuki."

He greeted us in the same calm and relaxed manner that he had maintained since we first met him.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next