Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 1 | The Town Where He Was Born | Remake our Life!


Part 2

Shortly before I left for Tokyo, I had a talk with Kanou-sensei.

When I honestly asked her about a question "What if?" that I had been wondering about Tsurayuki, she answered me with the condition that I must not tell anyone about it.

"It's exactly as you read. Rokuonji hasn't dropped out of school. At his request, I treated him as a leave of absence."

It took my breath away. A thin line, which I thought had been broken, was now connected.

Even after sensei told me that Tsurayuki had left the school, I still had a hard time believing it.

Of course, I can't deny that I wanted something to hang on to because I was a big part of the reason he left. But most of all, I couldn't believe that Tsurayuki, who had such a strong desire to create, and who continued to write even in the future, would be able to cut off his lingering feelings so easily.

Around that time, I stopped by the student affairs office and happened to see a document that strengthened my doubts even further.

Leave of absence. I just remembered that the university had such a system.

If you are on a leave of absence and want to return to school for some reason, you can return to school just by completing the necessary procedures. As for the cost, you only need to pay an enrollment fee of several tens of thousands of yen. Originally, Tsurayuki, who had been scrambling to raise money for school fees, should have known this.

From his current state of mind, he cannot continue to stay at the university, but he is still not ready to break off the ties. For Tsurayuki, this must have been a perfect choice.

At first, I contacted the Student Affairs Office. However, they would not give me any details, saying that they could not give out any information except to the person in question.

That's why I came to ask Kanou-sensei ―― knowing that it was impossible.

"Rokuonji also requested me to do so. He asked me to pretend in front of everyone that he had quit. Well, I thought there must be a lot going on, so I listened..."

Sensei's expression became a little, stern.

"Most likely the main reason was because he didn't want you to know he had lingering feelings. Hashiba, it's you."

I felt the depths of my heart shrinking.

The reason why Tsurayuki left the school was, as he himself said, me. And when I asked for a consultation, I told sensei about the circumstances.

"So, it would be a betrayal to him for me to tell you about this today. I will not order you not to tell him. But please understand how Rokuonji feels."

"Yes, I'm not going to tell him..."

Sensei nodded and,

"Well, maybe what we are talking about now is trivial compared to what you are about to do. That's how impossible and reckless you are trying to do."

He looked me in the eye. It was a strong gaze that could not be easily turned away.

"Just to confirm, you are trying to get Rokuonji... back to school, right?"

"Yes"

"He has probably given up on this path, no matter how much he may have lingering doubts about it. Think carefully about what it means to pull such a person back."

It was early May when Tsurayuki left school, and now it is August. After three months, it was already time for him to start getting used to his new life.

If he is in the process of doing what he is doing to blow it off while the memories of the past are still strong in his mind―. I can't help but say that what I will do can be described as very violent.

However.

"It's okay. I've thought about it over ... and over again."

I decided to stick to my ego here. Even if I am abused and rejected by Tsurayuki,

"We need him"

The work we will be making from now on and our “story” will not be possible without him.

"..."

Sensei was silent for a while.

Her eyes are still staring at me. I felt as if he was asking me, "Are you sure you want to do it?"

I don't have absolute confidence or certainty either. I have only come to the conclusion that this is the right choice for me now that I have returned from the future.

If asked whether it was the right or wrong decision, I would generally say it was the wrong. Nevertheless, I made up my mind. I had done so, and I couldn't waver here.

I have already chosen the route.

"...I see"

As if to confirm my decision, after taking a few moments, sensei replied.

“I repeat, it was you, Hashiba, who caused Rokuonji to take a leave of absence.”

"Yes"

"But"


Sensei took a small breath.

"That's why you're the only one who can bring him back. You know what that means and how much it weighs."

It was as if I had been punched directly in the heart. My heart was pounding so loudly that for a moment I couldn't continue speaking.

Maybe it was meant as a shout-out to me, but I couldn't take it so conveniently. This is a responsibility, a really heavy one. That's what sensei seemed to be saying.

Finally calming myself down, I said one word,

"...Yes"

I replied.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next