Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 2 | This is What Reality Looks Like | Remake our Life! 


Part 9

Succeedsoft has a break area for all employees in the middle of the building, a place that was always crowded with people, although the people in the 2nd department didn't use it much because it was too much trouble.

"It's very unusual for you to ask me out to lunch."

"It's rare, or rather it's the first time, maybe."

I wonder if drinking would have been better, if so,

"Don't give me the impression that I'm a drinker. Having lunch is fine."

For some reason, I was strangely scolded.

We walked out from the large balcony and sat down on the terrace. Even though the parasol would serve as a sunshade, it was still quite hot in the direct sunlight.

Kawasegawa said, "It's so hot," but she looked cool as usual and did not seem to be sweating at all. Perhaps her body is built differently from mine.

"How are things on your end lately, are you well?"

"My condition?"

"Yeah, I'm still worried about this ... as an invitee."

I was grateful for her offer, but if that was also causing her heartache, I honestly wanted to lighten the load.

(I guess I'll tell her all about it...)

I didn't feel like bragging too much, but I told him all about what had happened in the 13th Development Department and its reforms.

"...Is that what happened."

Kawasegawa looked somewhat speechless as she picked up a sausage from her homemade lunch box.

"Don't drop that."

"D-Don't worry, I'll eat it."

Then, flustered, she threw the sausage into her mouth.

The business improvement plan of the 13th Development Department was producing remarkable results. The work that had been chronically done in the past was streamlined, and general affairs and administrative tasks were clearly being performed in a shorter time.

The objective of creating time to think was well served.

"I had sort of heard about the 13th Department, but ... it was that bad."

"Well, now that things have changed properly, I can finally do some "development"."

Everything was there.

A department that has the name "development" but cannot do development.

Although it is customary to do so, I wanted to make a clear meaning of the fact that I had entered there.

Besides, there are still some elements in that department that cannot be discarded. First of all, I want to somehow give shape to Sakurai-san's plans and ideas.

To do so, the plan needs to be properly organized. We look forward to constructive discussions at our first planning meeting this weekend.

"You've done more than I could have imagined. What a great move."

"Who knows... Well, I think this is going to be for the better anyway."

We still have a ways to go, but we've at least made our first foothold.

From now on, let's try to give shape to the plans generated at the meeting, with the immediate goal of motivating all members of the department to do so.

"How's that project over there? Is it going well?"

When I asked her about the big projects she's been focusing on, she said,

"Right..."

She wrinkled her brow and started thinking about it, 

"Waah, i-it's okay, you don't have to say it!"

That was how I perceived the situation.

Rumor had it that the top management of the manufacturer and the creators were not in agreement on the direction of the project, and there was even talk of revising the project from the planning stage.

(If that were the case... The director can't stomach it)

Kawasegawa's expression seemed to show some fatigue. It seems that next time I should take her out for a drink instead of lunch.

"Somehow, if you have something piling up, let's go have a drink again. You can complain there and..."

It's okay, when I was about to say it to cover,

"Drinking? Are you going? When can we go?"

Her usual calm demeanor was not there, and she bit down with vigor.

"I-It's difficult because I have some things I have to do today, but I'll leave that open when we set a date, okay?"

I hurried to suppress it, and she looked strangely dejected.

"Yes ... I got it. You have your reasons."

"Y-Yeah……"

She easily withdrew. Perhaps it was because she herself was well aware that she could not be strong when it came to work.

(Well, I guess we should get a breather as soon as possible)

I open my schedule app on my phone and check my most recent appointment. Fortunately, I quickly found a day that was available later in the evening.

"Well then, tomorrow evening"

I was about to say it and looked at her.

"Kawasegawa ...?"

However, she seemed to be pondering something as she checked her schedule, despite my words.

"I can go on Friday... This is the following week... We don't have to do this on this day either, and if anything else happens, we can turn it around on Sunday..."

"Um, if there's some complicated thing, let's talk again."

As usual, whether she was listening to my words or not, she was mumbling something to herself while operating her schedule application.

And then, suddenly, her fists clenched,

"Alright, I can go!"

She nodded heavily, as if she had accomplished something.

Then she turned to me with a sharp expression on her face,

"Do you have time this weekend?"

"Eh……?"

Suddenly, I confirmed my schedule.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next