Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 2 | This is What Reality Looks Like | Remake our Life! 


Part 10

Saturday. I was looking for someone in front of the west exit ticket gate of Shinjuku station.

"I got here a little too early, but... well, it's fine"

When I checked the time on my smartphone, I was 15 minutes earlier than planned.

But this is fine. After all, the person I was supposed to meet would probably be punctual, so it would be just fine to wait a little earlier.

The other party is probably using this line, so if I move to a place where I can easily see the exit and check the train there when it arrives....

"You're early"

"Uwawah? Why?"

Suddenly I was called out from behind, and I was so surprised that I shouted.

"There is not why or anything right, because I have promised you today..."

Kawasegawa Eiko looked at me with a somewhat displeased face. Her long yellow skirt shone brightly against her soft, pale, young grass-colored blouse.

She wears suits nicely at work, and her everyday clothes were also well.

"No, you’re right, but ... the promise, you said 11:00."

It's 10:45 now.

"Whenever I have an appointment, I try to come 30 minutes early."

"T-Thirty minutes...?"

When I opened my mouth to check, she returned a pouty face, as if to say what's so strange.

"If it's that early, you don't want to be late for anything. That's why."

No, well, that's right ...

Kawasegawa Eiko, I understand very well that she is excellent, but I feel this is a little difficult to live.

"So, what was it today, all I heard was, to go out with you for a bit..."

Yes, she was asked if I had time available on the weekend, and I said yes, but I was not told anything about what would happen from there on out.

"Not really... It's not a big matter, though."

"Is that so?"

When I asked her back, she turned away for a second, her voice much quieter than usual.

"I want you to come shopping with me"

"Eh, what?"

"Isn't it fine! Let's go for now. Please!"

Suddenly she looked embarrassed and walked away slowly with her back straight.

"Eh, wait a minute!"

As I was swept away by her sudden change of expression, I followed her.

Shinjuku is divided into an east and west section of the city with the station in between.

West of the business district as opposed to the east of the commercial district. That's how they are roughly divided.

As a city with decades of history as a subcenter, both areas are already complete as a city, while the south side of the station still has the air of a city with room for development.

Kawasegawa brought me to the department store on the south side. As I had been in a period of time when I had no money anyway, including at my previous job, I had no connection to any other place except for the large home improvement center attached to the building.

When the escalator reached the floor lined with brand-name women's clothing stores, Kawasegawa's feet finally stopped there.

The floor was almost entirely empty of men, except for what appeared to be chaperones. The uncomfortable feeling made me almost shy from the beginning.

Kawasegawa was standing in an imposing position overlooking the floor, looking as if she were a general looking out over a battlefield.

It didn't look like a casual shopping atmosphere, but for the time being,

"Do you have a particular brand of clothing you're looking for?"

I asked.

Then she didn't lose the look of an army general.

"I don't"

She simply said so.

"Eh~... But you look so cute in today's clothes."

When I say about the outfit I just complimented her inwardly just a few minutes ago,

"Oh, yeah...? But I bought all of these stuff as recommended by the store clerk."

"A-All of them?"

"Yes"

"Even the shoes?"

"All the way down to my toes"

Unexpected was a good way to put it.

Indeed, there are those who are the type of people who leave everything up to others when buying clothes. That in itself is not unusual. However, I had always thought that a person like Kawasegawa, who can do everything perfectly, has a keen antenna in fashion as well, or that it was something she could find and decide on her own.

(Is it a lack of interest, or is it the result of rationality?)

I feel like it's both of them, but anyway, she seemed to be "that kind of person".

"Then, should we call the clerk?"

Obviously, I asked her if that would be the plan,

"No"

I got an unexpected reply.

"Could you pick one for me"

"He?"

"I want you, to pick out clothes that will fit me."

"H-HAAAA?"

The answer was so unexpected that it made surprised,

"You don't have to be so surprised, right!"

It was returned strongly, as if to say, "That's outrageous".

"No, um, I don't know anything about women's clothing, you know?"

If I had a past as former apparel or a former store clerk, or something like that, it would be easier, but all I have in my background is knowledge of car accessories and bishojo games.

"B-Because you seem to have such an aesthetic eye for beauty and cuteness."

She said and looked at me strangely sternly,

"So choose. Pick out the clothes that look good on me. I'll buy it."

She said so clearly.

"Haa...?"

I don't know what is going on.

Is this some kind of test? That's who she was looking after me to get a job, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of test in the middle ...

I saw a documentary the other day about a top chef who invites his apprentice to dinner and suddenly gives him an unannounced taste test, or something similar.

"I-I get it! I'll do my best to pass the test!"

"E-Eeh~... Test...?"

Despite her somewhat questioning look, I began to stare at the summer clothing section with eyes that seemed to be hunting for prey.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next