Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

14, Study Group (Middle)


 Leaving the despairing Asakura alone, I look at Hasaki.
 Seeing her indescribable expression, I think.
 …… So far, I have not helped at all in the reconciliation between Hasaki and Touka.

 I said I would help them make up.
 Then, here, I have to change the flow.

 With that in mind, I took a breath and then changed the topic.

"It's fun to have a study session with friends."

 From here, if I could make plans to go out on holidays with these members, not just for study sessions, it would bring the two girls much closer together, wouldn't it.
 With that in mind, I told them these words.

 ……However.
 My thinking was apparently naive.

 At my words, the air around me hardens.
 And they all turned their gentle gazes on me.

"Let's have a study session again tomorrow"

 Ike said as he smiled at me.

"I also enjoy studying together."

 Touka also has a gentle look.

"I wish I had invited you sooner."

 Asakura said, rubbing the head of his nose and looking embarrassed.

"I've never really had the experience of having an after-school study group with everyone because of the tennis, but it's fun."

 Hasaki laughed softly as she agreed.


 And I... couldn't stand it.
 What is with this air, everyone is a good people...
 Are you going to make me cry...

 I didn't mean to, but it seemed I had put them all on edge, and I was puzzled.

"O-Oh"

 As I muttered to myself, bewildered, Asakura asked me.

"Come to think of it, is Ike the first friend Tomoki has ever had?"

"Ah, I'm curious too."

 Touka also agreed with Asakura's words.
 I shake my head and start talking about my old friend.

"No, there was only one guy in elementary school that I would call a friend."

"That's the first I've heard of it."

 Ike reacted with interest.

"I was kept at my grandfather's house in the countryside during summer vacation all the way up to the first year of middle school. There was a guy there who had also been sent to the countryside, and we got along well with each other as strangers. This guy is my first friend ...... and his name is "Natsuo"."

 When I called the name, there was a clatter and a noise.
 When I looked in the direction of the sound, I saw that Hasaki had knocked over a glass of drink.

 Fortunately, the contents seemed to have been drunk through, and the desk was not soaked with water.

"Whoa, you okay? Use this."

 Asakura then quickly handed a paper napkin to Hasaki.

"Y-Yeah. Thanks, maybe I was a little spaced out."

 She said, laughing vaguely, Hasaki took it and picked up the scattered ice cubes.

 For some reason, Ike and Touka looked suspiciously at such Hasaki.

"... So, what was this Natsuo-kun like?"

 Touka, for some reason, asked me this in a firm tone.

"... He was a weakling and a crybaby. But he was brave and kind."

 I said these words as I remembered Natsuo's brave but gentle appearance.

"Do you remember what that Natsuo looked like?"

 As I recall, Ike asks that question.

"Yeah. He has a crazy beautiful face, and neutral... Also, he had a beautiful chestnut-colored short cut. ...He must be soooo handsome by now."

 As I was saying that, there was a clattering noise.
 When I looked over, I saw that Hasaki was in a great hurry to put away her pens and notebooks.

"S-Sorry everyone! By the way, I promised my friends at school that I would go with them to practice with them today! I forgot!"

 After saying this, Hasaki stood up, took some coins out of her purse and put them on the table, and then,

"Today, I'll excuse myself first!"

 After saying this, Hasaki gave us a light salute and then hurried toward the exit.
 Soon she was through the automatic door and out of sight.

"What's up with Hasaki all of a sudden?"

"Who knows, what was it?"

 Asakura and I talked with each other while looking at the seat of Hasaki who had left. 

"Natsuo..."

"As I thought, it's like that?"

"...Maybe"

 And Ike and Touka were nodding to each other, both with somewhat serious expressions on their faces.
 I wondered about that, but then I came up with a possibility.

"Perhaps you two know Natsuo?"

 Concerned about the situation, I ask.
 When I saw the facial expressions of the two people nodding to each other, I thought, ‘maybe’.

 If you both know, please let me know.
 I haven't seen him for several years, but he is still my friend.
 I am very curious to know where he is now and what he is doing.

"Natsuo is..."

 Touka opened her mouth somewhat hesitantly, but,

"Sorry, Yuuji. This is not something for us to say. ... Right, Touka?"

 Ike interrupted Touka's words.

"... Yeah, maybe so. So, sorry senpai, we have nothing to say."

"I see. If you two say so, I won't force myself to ask. But if you two know what Natsuo is up to now, can I ask you one thing?"

 They nodded slowly in response to my question.
 After I see that, I open my mouth.

"Is Natsuo doing well?"

 At my words, Ike and Touka looked at each other and then laughed.

"I'm a little prepared, but... How I say it, it's a senpai-like question."

"I guess so. I was kind of nervous, but now my shoulders are relaxed. ...I'm sure the Natsuo that Yuuji knows is doing fine."

 Somewhat relieved, Ike said.

"I don't really understand. I hope I can meet Natsuo again."

 Even Asakura, who did not know Natsuo, said so and smiled at me.

"I see. Then I'm relieved."

 I told them so.

 After such a conversation, it has been about an hour.
 Our study session ended in a somewhat relaxed atmosphere.

"Alright, I've made a lot of progress. Hey, if you want, we can have another study session tomorrow?"

"I would say, "Don't count on people too much". But it seems that Asakura is motivated to do so. Of course, I'll go along."

 To Asakura's words, Ike replied with a wry smile.
 After all, what a caring guy.

"Asakura-senpai, it's okay if I join again tomorrow, right?"

"Of course it is! Cute girls are welcome! However... No flirting next time!"

 Asakura stares at us with a serious expression.
 Don't look over here ...

"Well, then Yuuji-senpai? Let's flirt when Asakura isn't around, shall we♡"

 Touka smiles at me.
 Asakura turned his eyes on me, filled with resentment.

"...in moderation"

 After giving an ambiguous response to Touka's teasing, the day's study session came to an end.



 Then, after school the next day.
 I had a study session at the same family restaurant as yesterday.

 It was almost the same group of people, and there were no substitutions.
 Except for one person, Hasaki, who is not participating...