29, Apology



Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

 After the Golden Week holidays.
 With the languid mood I'd grown accustomed to over the vacations still lingering, I headed off to school.

 The students around me walked with a heavy step, also with a dull expression on their faces.
 …… But when they saw me,

"Yikes, that's Tomoki."
"Don't make eye contact, you'll be killed"
"Worst after the holidays..."

 And then they quickly and hurriedly headed off to school.
 I let out a sigh at the usual scenes.
 Helping out in a study group doesn't change the way unrelated students look at you, does it?

"Good~ morning~!"

 And of course, it was Touka who approached me as I was being avoided all the time.

"Oh"

"No, It's another tiresome day at school~. But there's always no one around senpai, so it's very comfortable~."

 Touka said that with a dazzling smile on her face.
 I was starting to be used not only to avoid men, but even to avoid people.

"Is that so"

"Yes!"

 Touka replied happily to my wry remark.
 Then we walk side by side on the road to school.
 After a while, we arrived at the school gate.

 However, it was strangely noisy.
 When I looked, I saw a male student standing there.

 Did they have a fight? A man with a shaved head, gauze over his face.
 The other students avoided the student who wore a strange atmosphere like an outdated boxer, and were heading towards the school building.

"Whoa, I didn't know there's that yankee look like in this school besides senpai~."

"Is that senpai me? I'm not a Yankee."

"I know, I'm kidding."

 Touka sticks out her tongue and says without a hint of malice.
 I let out a sigh and tried to follow the other students in avoiding the man.

"Good morning, Tomoki-senpai.... Can I have a few minutes of your time?"

 …… But I got tangled up.
 Touka says, "Uwwa..." and was blatantly withdrawn.

"No, it's time to start the class. Can we do this at lunchtime?"

"Yes, I'm back to not thinking about the other person's situation... Then I'll be waiting for you on the roof at lunchtime."

 After muttering something, a boy student went to the school building.
 I've never seen that guy before in my life.
 Probably a first-year student, who likes to fight and show off his skills or something.
 So he's taking on me, a man who is feared by the whole school, head-on.

 Touka looked at me anxiously as I analyzed the situation.

"It's okay, I'm not trying to start a fight.... I'll try to talk to him properly. If he still won't listen, ignore him."

"... I'll go to the rooftop with you at lunchtime, too."

 Pui, Touka said that and turning away.
 She seems to be worried about me, I appreciate it.
 But I'll have to be careful not to endanger Touka...

"Thanks "

 At my words, Touka said, "T-Then, I'll pick you up again at lunchtime! and headed for her class.
 I, too, go into my classroom.

 Then, I sat down in my seat,

"Yo, Tomoki"

"...Yeah"

 Asakura called out to me.

"You left right after the study session. I wanted to talk to Tomoki so badly that I was looking for you, you know?"

"Is that so.... My bad, I have something to do."

"You had something to do, but you dutifully participated in helping out? Tomoki is such a good guy."

 Asakura gave me a look of respect.
 ... I can't meet his gaze head-on.
 I can't tell him that I had a fight with a junior, that's for sure.

"I guess we'll have plenty of time to talk. I'll see you later."

 With that, Asakura returned to his seat.
 I was quite happy he talked to me normally in the classroom.
 I wonder if the shaved head I met this morning would leave me alone if he knew I had no intention of fighting with him...?

 As I was thinking about this, Ike came to me.

"Good morning, Yuuji. Is there a problem?"

 Ike asks me with a refreshing smile that doesn't show the slightest hint of melancholy after the holidays.
 Did he notice anything when he saw my expression?

"Yeah.... as usual."

"So you've been having trouble as usual. Do you need a hand?"

 Ike said, dumbfounded.
 He seems to be able to see everything.
 I chuckle, then answer.

"No problem, thank you"

"I see.... If you need anything, you can always give me a call."

"Oh, that's helpful "

 As I answered Ike, the bell rang for the morning session.
 Ike quickly returned to his seat.

 While listening to the boring words of the homeroom teacher in the morning class, I think.

 It's okay.
 I'm sure there will be no problem ――.


"I'm so sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy."

 And when lunchtime came, Touka and I arrived at the rooftop to find a shaved head apologizing and getting down on his knees.

"……Eh?"

"Hey senpai, when did you finish him? As expected, it's too fast."

"Don't proceed on the assumption that I have finished him..."

 Looking down at the kneeling monk, Touka and I exchanged whispers in secret.
 I couldn't even think about what I had done to this guy.

"Wait a minute. You don't have to apologize to me. Raise your head."

 So I told him so honestly.

"...I knew you wouldn't accept my apology?"

 Then the shaved head muttered, with an apologetic expression on his face.
 When I saw his expression, something caught my attention.

"... Huh? Sorry Touka. Do you recognize this guy somehow?"

"No, I don't. A shaved head like him"

"...Eh? Oh yeah. You didn't understand, right? It's me. Kai Rekka."

 As Touka and I tilted our heads, the shaved head pointed at himself and said that.

"Haa, Kai Rekka, huh..."

 I'm pretty sure I've ever seen... Kai Rekka!?

""EEEEH!?""

 Touka and I were surprised at the same time.

"No, it's strange that Touka is surprised. You're in the same class, right? You had every chance to notice him, didn't you?"

 And me who calmly retort to her.

"B-Because! Today, I was thinking only about senpai, and there was no time to look at my classmates..."

 After saying that much, Touka looked flustered, put her hands over her mouth, and closed it.
 Fuyuha's face was bright red as she looked at me awkwardly.

 ...... I see, so you were so worried about me that I was called to the rooftop that you neglected to do anything else.
 That made me very happy, I thought.

"Thank you, Touka"

 When I say a few words,

"...Haa?"

 Said Touka in a bad mood.
 It's easy to see how she hid her embarrassment. I couldn't help but smile,

"No, it's nothing"

 I muttered.
 But for some reason, Touka seemed unconvinced and let out a deep sigh, "Haa...".

"... It seems that it was my misunderstanding after all. Tomoki-senpai was not the evil person I had thought he was. And Touka really likes Tomoki-senpai."

 Kai, who had been watching our exchange, suddenly opened his mouth.
 When I was told that it was Kai, I looked at him and saw that he did indeed have a well-rounded face and his voice was his.
 The gauze on his face was probably still swollen from where I had punched him.
 Well, it certainly looks like Kai.

 …… But what's this guy saying?
 Touka really likes me? 
 There was no way that was the case, and when I looked at Touka, I saw that her cheeks had turned red and she was looking down.
 She was angry because she was told something that had no basis in fact, but she couldn't deny it and was in trouble.

"Sorry, Kai. Did you hit your head when I knocked you out? ... This is what happens when I don't take action early enough... I'm really sorry."

 It wasn't like Kai to say something like that, and it worried me.
 For this guy to admit his mistake like this, I can only assume that he suffered a head injury.

"No, I didn't suffer a head injury. But ... at that time. When Tomoki-senpai accepted my fist straight. I thought, "What a big person he is". That's what I thought. After that, I was beaten up, and I thought about it calmly. I thought that maybe I had been wrong all along, and that the stories Touka had been telling me were the truth"

"...You're late noticing it"

 Kai looked down apologetically at the words that Touka spat out in disgust.

"Keep going"

 That's what I told Kai.
 Then Kai looked up at me with tears in the corners of his eyes, and then opened his mouth.

"I realized I've been making a terrible mistake. I know it's too late now. I brought out a knife and attacked... I'm a helpless coward. After this apology, I'll turn myself in to the police. If I do that, Tomoki-senpai and Touka. You won't have to see my face."

 Kai said with a look of regret.
 When I was about to say something to Kai, Touka said coldly.

"It's really too late. Do you have any idea how much senpai was hurt by your selfish beliefs? And then you apologize and satisfy yourself? You really are a hypocrite, aren't you."

"... You're right. I have been, and still am, nothing but a self-absorbed hypocrite."

 Hanging his head, Kai said helplessly.
 Touka seemed to be even more annoyed by this situation and tried to open her mouth again, but...

"Enough, Touka. ....Thanks."

"I don't need to be thanked for anything..."

"It's good. From here on. I'll speak in my own words. I'll talk properly."

 At my words, Touka closed her mouth.
 I'm sure she had a lot more to say, but I guess she respected my idea.

"Kai, I have something to say to you."

"……Yes"

 Kai's expression tightened at my words.

"Don't judge people by their appearance. Listen carefully to others. Don't think that you are always right."

"……Yes"

"And that was a good fist."

"...Yes ....Yes?"

"Now it's a square. We clenched our fists and fought. The misunderstanding was cleared up. I said what I wanted to say. Then you and I will be senior and junior in the same high school.... There's no need to turn yourself in. It's going to be a pain in the ass for them to talk to me.... That's right. If you need any help, let me know. I'll help you as much as I can."

 At my words, Kai looked up and had a stunned expression on his face.
 And ...

"W-What are you saying, senpai, are you stupid!? Don't you remember what he did to you? Are you that stupid, are you okay!?!?"

 Touka complained to me in a very fierce manner.
 Well, that's true.
 Touka was thinking about me and giving this guy a lot of advice.
 Plus, it scared the hell out of her.
 If I forgive him so easily, I suppose she will want to complain.

"Kai overcame his fears and fought with me to help someone who had nothing to do with him, even though he was mistaken. He also tried to keep Touka out of it. It's true that if Touka had been injured, I wouldn't have forgiven him either. But this guy went straight for me. I'll take it with a grain of salt that he took out a toy knife. Besides, Touka... "

 I scratched my cheek and quietly told Touka, who was indignant.

"I'm stupid, right"

 When Touka and Kai heard my words,

"" Senpai...! ""

 They muttered at the same time.
 Then Touka gave Kai a hostile look, and Kai gave me a moist look.

"...Tomoki Yuuji-senpai! I fell in love with...  "Man" your broadminded! Please make me senpai’s, no! Please make me Aniki's younger brother!" 
(Note: I also don’t know why there is “man” in that)

 Then, just as he did when he came here, Kai gets down on his knees and bows his head.
 I was both happy and annoyed, and I was at a loss as to what to say in reply――.